Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Absolutely @Torgeirtrap , that wonderful scene that they use with Tatiana is the true test. Someone may look the part, but can they deliver? I can't imagine many can sell that scene-- it's everything that Bond is.
    peter wrote: »
    Absolutely @Torgeirtrap , that wonderful scene that they use with Tatiana is the true test. Someone may look the part, but can they deliver? I can't imagine many can sell that scene-- it's everything that Bond is.

Yep, it sums up perfectly his way with women (of course), but also his determination of the job – asking her about the Lektor. A nice little insight to the world of James Bond, and a true test for the actor in front of the camera.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Anyone here seen the actor named Daniel Ings (not the footballer!) in The Crown or other shows? He played a part in an episode of Endeavour I happened to see tonight – and although it was far from a Bond like part, he didn't look all bad.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Kind of looks like Cavill.

v1.bjsxMjMwNjIxO2o7MTc5MjQ7MTIwMDs3MDY7Njg3
  • peterpeter Toronto

That's my broker. And he was high on nose-candy when that photo was taken.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I know a lot of people aren't sold, but I am still yet to see a candidate that fits the bill more than Cavill.
    Honestly I wouldn’t be upset if cavil got it
    peter wrote: »

That's my broker. And he was high on nose-candy when that photo was taken.

He certainly didn't have that smirk in that role he played in Endeavour! :))
    Risico007 wrote: »

Neither would I. It depends on what direction they want to take, as I really can't see him play a Craig Bond. He would no doubt be better suited for something a bit closer to a Brosnan Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

I don't know anything about him but in this photo and with that expression he sort of reminds me of Henry Czerny as Kittridge in MI (particularly in one of those crazy De Palma angle shots at the Prague restaurant).
    --
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I know a lot of people aren't sold, but I am still yet to see a candidate that fits the bill more than Cavill.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind him in the role at all and agree that he definitely at least looks the part, with a combination of ruggedness and style. I doubt he's on the radar anymore however, after his high profile role this year in Fallout.
    At the moment there seems to be a age cutoff for any any actor, the general look of the character from the the book, the actor must represent the call for ethnicity, height and he must be popular.
    A interesting choice for the producers of the movie.
    Could it be they have already decided who they want, I mean some previous actors who became Bond missed out earlier so it could be a actor who was screen tested with Daniel Craig.
    I don't think popularity is very important when cast. It might have been to succeed Connery the second time and to succeed Moore because Brosnan was heir apparent, but not when there is no clear successor. The role brings popularity.
    renno61 wrote: »
    Could it be they have already decided who they want, I mean some previous actors who became Bond missed out earlier so it could be a actor who was screen tested with Daniel Craig.
    I certainly think they would've had a few names circled had Craig not agreed to return for B25. Of course they're never going to publicly admit it, nor will they offer up a list. Whether those same names will be on the new list come B26, I have no idea. Love or loathe him, Cavill is still in with a shout as a lot of time will have passed in between his Fallout role and his last Superman movie. Plus, he has The Witcher coming out on Netflix sometime next year.

I have nothing against Daniel Ings, other than his voice is too light, and that he looks a bit like Den Hegarty from Darts. There's a slightly better pic of Ings with his hair slicked back and without the Benny from Crossroad's stubble...

The-Crown-Mike-Parker-and-Prince-Phillip-c1b1be8.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413
    bondsum wrote: »
    I have nothing against Daniel Ings, other than his voice is too light, and that he looks a bit like Den Hegarty from Darts. There's a slightly better pic of Ings with his hair slicked back and without the Benny from Crossroad's stubble...

The-Crown-Mike-Parker-and-Prince-Phillip-c1b1be8.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

That's a bit closer to his look in Endeavour:

terence-black.jpg?ssl=1
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I can’t quite put my finger on it but he has a nervous, bewildered, Lost look to him in most photos.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    talos7 wrote: »
    I can’t quite put my finger on it but he has a nervous, bewildered, Lost look to him in most photos.
    So... Bond between YOLT and TMWTGG? ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol. :D
    The main Point is he Looks more fragile than tough, let alone badass.
    To me he looks more like he could play an updated version of Nigel Small- Fawcett over Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    For the ladies:

Aidan-Turner-as-Ross-Poldark.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For the ladies:

Looks like the stuff I pick up from my shower drain every other month.
    For the ladies:

:))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

DAMN! =))
    Damn, some of you have really true hatred for the man. Can’t and won’t ever unserstand that as i think he is a decent actor and has the right looks for the part, apart from the curls, that is. I suppose that pic is from Poldark.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have no hate for the man whatsoever. Or for my shower drain.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No need to be so melodramatic. I don't hate him. I just don't think he's right for Bond.
    With all the names mentioned, we could almost have a sort of contest who'll pick the right candidate for the next Bond.
    Murdock wrote: »
    No need to be so melodramatic. I don't hate him. I just don't think he's right for Bond.
    +1
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I have no hate for the man whatsoever. Or for my shower drain.

I guess Aidan just doesn't Turner you on.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    With all the names mentioned, we could almost have a sort of contest who'll pick the right candidate for the next Bond.
    Given how long this changeover has taken, I'm quite certain many (if not most) of the members here will be dissatisfied with the ultimate choice - until they see him on the screen for the first time in B26 that is. Then, with any luck, most will be come round to the choice.

I'm pretty sure it will be a very different Bond from the one we have now,style and presentation wise.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondsum wrote: »
    Don't take offence @Tuulia. If you can't accept that men and women have an entirely different perspective on what they like to see in an male actor or movies, then you're purblind to the obvious. Surely you're aware that Brosnan appealed more to the ladies than to men (young boys notwithstanding)? Just because you don't know of such women within your own inner circle of friends or acquaintances, that doesn't make it any less so. Brosnan appealed to the ladies because he was extremely handsome, not because he was a great actor. Look, I'm not going to analyse men vs women just to make my point, but you only have to look at what kinds of musicians women prefer to those of men. Women are drawn to liking a group or singer based predominantly on their looks first and foremost, their music is secondary. Of course, there are exceptions that go against the grain, but these are in smaller numbers. Knowing absolutely nothing about you, I couldn't begin to assign you to a particular category or NRS social grade, but you most definitely fall into one. Principally, Bond movies have a male following. That's not to say there isn't a female fan-base also. I'm sure there's a small male fan-base for Bridget Jones, Mamma Mia! and Twilight movies. Maybe because you can't list your own "aesthetic preferences" it's the reason why you're having trouble coming up with a name for a future Bond successor, no?

Again, I'm only pointing out how men and women's preferences for a Bond actor differ. This is the reason why women can skip a Bond actor's entire tenure and come back later when they find one that is more to their liking. Men, on the other hand, will stick with the series through thick and thin, so long as the casting follows a similar trait. It's this particular trait that some of us are better equipped at identifying and articulating than some of the other members are.
    I don't think 'mansplaining' is actually proving a point. In fact I'm more inlined to agree with @Tuulia. Yes, I've met women who only go for the looks, but most of the time they go for the charisma, and you just don't capture that with pictures. Men, as @Tuulia rightly points ut, are far more inclined to judge on visuals alone. Now I could explain here that this has a scientific basis also, but perhaps that'd make me a it of a nerd.

Anyway, going for a potential Bond (and considering the mention of The Crown) I'd go for Matt Smith. He's certainly got the acting talent, voice and hight.