What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    The two biggest names that come up in discussing possible directors are , in no order of preference, Christopher Nolan and Christopher McQuarrie.
    It’s safe to say that their Bonds would be quite different. Between these two, which Christopher would you choose?
    I am not of the opinion either of them would enrich the Bond Franchise.

McQuarrie his thrillers are moe grounded and look really good.
  • mckillopmckillop Oregon
    I don't need JJ Abrams telling everyone "what came before" like he has an older James Bond story and 007 was the gun..

Hasn't Matt Damon proved himself enough? Let's him do it, I don't think it makes sense to not have him do something cool, he's good at everything.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Christopher Columbus with script from Steven Knight and Christopher McQuarrie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The two biggest names that come up in discussing possible directors are , in no order of preference, Christopher Nolan and Christopher McQuarrie.
    It’s safe to say that their Bonds would be quite different. Between these two, which Christopher would you choose?

Nolan without any doubt, although the action scenes in Fallout were very good.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually would like to see both do one eventually. Both do strong work and would offer unique visions.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I actually would like to see both do one eventually. Both do strong work and would offer unique visions.
    There was a lot of Nolan influence in Fallout in my view. Overall I agree with you. I'd love both of them to have a crack at it one day, & think they could both do a brilliant job.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think Ralph Fiennes would be a good choice to direct when they finally get around to adapting the bridge scene from MR. Pair it with the kidnapping from CS?
  • bondjames wrote: »
    There was a lot of Nolan influence in Fallout in my view. Overall I agree with you. I'd love both of them to have a crack at it one day, & think they could both do a brilliant job.

How about Nolan directs the film, McQuarrie directs the stunts and action sequences, and neither of them touches the screenplay.
    George Miller has to step in, otherwise this tedious Nolan McQuarrie talk never stops.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

How about Nolan directs the film, McQuarrie directs the stunts and action sequences, and neither of them touches the screenplay.
    I could get behind that, although I honestly wouldn't mind either of them having a go one day. They have both consistently impressed me.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I have a close connection to Nolan because he rose to power, as I was growing up. The guy is probably the last true visionary we have who works on a big scale. Lets hope that Bond is blessed with him in the directors chair in future.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nice video. Agree about Nolan. What he did with Batman was amazing, and MEMENTO, THE PRESTIGE and INCEPTION are among my favourite films.
    It's so rare to have someone like him nowadays, who is keen on maintaining the cinematic traditions while delivering fresh and unique experiences.

I believe if Nolan were to do a Bond film, he would change things dramatically. He would tell a good story with a character who happens to be called James Bond, and happens to be a spy.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Definitely Damien Chazelle.
    Someone British.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Problems re Nolan and Bond. I understand why people would suggest Nolan, he probably is the best, high profile director right now. That doesn't mean he is right for Bond.

Scorsese was in a similar position in the 80's, but as great as he was/is would that have made him the right director for a Bond film? I doubt it.

I know Nolan has managed to mould some slightly indie sensibilities into bigger budget film making. The thing is he is a director that wants to control everything, script, casting, soundtrack..all of it. EON will never give him that. Besides we already got a Nolan-lite Bond film with Skyfall. Leave it there. Nolan and Bond aren't meant to be.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,295
    Am I the only one that find Nolan's films boring and totally uninteresting? Memento is the only film of his I've found OK.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Am I the only one that find Nolan's films boring and totally uninteresting? Memento is the only film of his I've found OK.

Totally uninterested in an Nolan film. It would just be more Tory/conservative brainwashing nonsense. Though the box office of a Nolan film would be tantalising for Eon and he's adored critically. Regardless of my beliefs, Nolan would be a huge boon for the series.

Also, whilst we are at it, I'd like to quote myself and take you back to November 2015:

For me the next Bond director has to be Cary Fukunaga. He may be young and American, but the guy is very cineliterate and clearly has an understanding of iconic British characters (see his great adaption of Jane Eyre). Furthermore, he can do tense and atmosphere pictures, plus he has a total flair for action (we all remember that breathtaking tracking shot for True Detective). And by all accounts he's knocked it out of the park with Beasts of No Nation.

So if Mendes has really stepped aside (which I sorta doubt), Fukunaga seems like the perfect heir to the throne. Furthermore, he has stated he wants to direct a Bond film! I think if Craig is out, EON have to get Fukunaga and Idris Elba for the next Bond film.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/beasts-of-no-nation-director-cary-fukunaga-wants-to-direct-a-james-bond-film-starring-idris-elba-a6696451.html

beasts-of-no-nation-variety-cary-fukunaga-idris-elba-variety.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

I'm convinced Eon are reading my comments.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I wouldn't be against it but I'm not fawning over him, either. It's been almost nine years since Nolan has delivered a fully satisfying cinema experience for me. Rises, Interstellar and Dunkirk have all been "so close but not close enough" cases for me.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541

You aren't alone ... There isn't a single fight scene in Nolan's Batman trilogy I find interesting he is terrible with action , at least Mendes did deliver a great fight scene in SP.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Memento is still the most audacious and original thriller of the last 20 years. I still don't think he's made a better film, closely followed by The Prestige.

It's a little more than OK.

Interstellar is the only film of his I dislike and I was disappointed by TDKR.

While I'm a fan I'm not pining for him to direct a Bond film and I think as long as the series remains in the same hands it's in now he won't, despite Panchito's campaigning for it.

If the price for Nolan directing a Bond film is the end of EON's control, then I for one are happy not to have that happen.

Nolan is much better focusing his talents elsewhere.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Memento is still the most audacious and original thriller of the last 20 years. I still don't think he's made a better film, closely followed by The Prestige.

Interstellar is the only film of his I dislike and I was disappointed by TDKR.

While I'm a fan I'm not pining for him to direct a Bond film and I think as long as the series remains in the same hands it's in now he won't, despite Panchito's campaigning for it.

If the price for Nolan directing a Bond film is the end of EON's control, then I for one are happy not to have that happen.

Nolan is much better focusing his talents elsewhere.

I think our thoughts compliment each other on this, @Shardlake

Fully agreed.
    I think Nolan actually reconciled a lot of his faults with DUNKIRK. His efforts were getting too big and too wordy, too self-important. Inception is wordy, but it has a purpose, and really its the only way a story like that could be told. I think TDKR and Interstellar pushed things too far, which is why he chose to reset which a smaller scale idea. Although DUNKIRK feels big, its really all about the tension, and theres certainly less dialogue. He's adapting from the younger director he once was, into a more seasoned, mature one. A complaint I had with Nolan movies is the conversations about themes that were had by the character. That often felt on the nose, but I think going forqard that won't be a problem anymore. He addresses this in some of his intervuews where he talks about the visuals doing the talking.

The problem at the moment is no one knows what he is going to do next. Been a while since DUNKIRK and he still hasn't announced anything, meaning we won't see another film from him until 2021 at the earliest. But he is a devote fan since being a child, so I tjink he would jump at the chance to start off a new era of Bond. The franchise would be lucky to have him.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,295

Totally uninterested in an Nolan film. It would just be more Tory/conservative brainwashing nonsense. Though the box office of a Nolan film would be tantalising for Eon and he's adored critically. Regardless of my beliefs, Nolan would be a huge boon for the series.

Nolan is certainly a box office hit guarantee, but every time I watch his films they leave my cold – most of all his characters. I've seen several of his films. Some of them several times too. But his characters are dry, dull, or cold. I can't really tell you anything about any of them; they're that forgettable. The films themselves are usually dreary affairs (complete with the annoying scores by Zimmer) – the complete opposite of what I envision Bond to be. For me, Bond is colourful exciting adventures with a good dose of humour and a musical and brassy score as the cherry on the top. I highly doubt Nolan could do that.

You aren't alone ... There isn't a single fight scene in Nolan's Batman trilogy I find interesting he is terrible with action , at least Mendes did deliver a great fight scene in SP.

I can enjoy selected action sequences by Nolan, but I don't doubt other decent action directors can do the same or better – many of which probably wouldn't require the same amount of control over the complete production as Nolan surely would.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I can't really get behind that. It's an interesting and clever idea for a film, but it didn't do anything more for me than what any decent thriller would. I can understand how other people feel different about this particular film, of course.
    For me, Bond is colourful exciting adventures with a good dose of humour and a musical and brassy score as the cherry on the top. I highly doubt Nolan could do that.
    He probably could, but he´s got a reason for literally every one of his films since Memento Looking as if they are underexposed. He´s just not interested in making a bright-looking film.

boldfinger wrote: »
    For me, Bond is colourful exciting adventures with a good dose of humour and a musical and brassy score as the cherry on the top. I highly doubt Nolan could do that.
    He probably could, but he´s got a reason for literally every one of his films since Memento Looking as if they are underexposed. He´s just not interested in making a bright-looking film.

Guess he's not. Nothing is his filmography suggests so.
    Nolan has a touch of theatricality, and that is very much needed for Bond. Its s great match.
    Nolan has a touch of theatricality, and that is very much needed for Bond. Its s great match.
    That is oversimplifying Things. There´s hardly anything in Nolan´s films that would match with Bond.

Bit of a left field choice this, Neil Marshall. I know he tends to work Horror/SF, he has the upcoming Hellboy reboot with David Harbour. He also directed 2 of the best ever Game of Thrones episodes ever namely Blackwater and Watchers on the Wall.