Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

None of these names strike me immediately as Bond. I've warmed to the idea of Cavill, though I do feel he is a bit too bulky. I've only seen Turner remotely look like Bond just in those photos from AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Other than that he looks about as much like Bond as Willie Nelson. Also, I can't see Chris Hemsworth as Bond. I don't see the guy who played Thor in that one Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk TV movie as Bond either.
    All the other names thrown in lately seem to look like members of a '90's boy band.
    How is that Bond?
    Tom Hardy I've warmed to slightly, but overall still feel he is about as much like Bond as Willie Nelson.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Idris wins People's Sexiest Man Alive. Could it improve his chances? At the very least he will be back in the conversation momentarily.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    No, it will not, and should’t make any difference.
    Now, if someone wants to start a new franchise, with an original character...
    I wonder how many people out there actually believe he is the current Bond? That he's shot the new Bond movie? Google James Bond and under images he pops up. LOL
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    I'm getting pretty sick and tired of Idris Elba in the rumor mill already he has debunked the rumors over and over again why can't the media accept the fact Idris Elba will never be james bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He's not even Bond material, and that's not related to his ethnic roots.
    In this year´s interviews I found Cavill on the one Hand a likeable bloke, on the other Hand I wonder if he would have the stability as a Person to withstand the pressure of being Bond. He seems to be eager to make it as an Actor, and I wish him all the best, but he seems to ignore a bit that the Thing he should do more than any physical Workout is work on his acting chops.
    Shouldn't be too hard. With the right director, even an orangutan can act.
    Ah, you’ve seen Clint Eastwood’s “ Every Which Way But Loose”, “Right turn Clyde”. :D
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ah, you’ve seen Clint Eastwood’s “ Every Which Way But Loose”, “Right turn Clyde”. :D
    Precisely. :))
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    It will be Aidan and he's getting tired of all the criticism:

kittygale2AARON.png

Ha.
    Henry Cavill and Aidan Turner are my top choices right now. I wouldn’t be surprised though to see someone more unknown take up the 007 role next. We probably won’t know until at least 2021 though...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Cavill is a fine choice BUT I just can’t see EON doing it because he was Superman. They’ll want an actor not associated with other big roles/franchises. This is why Jamie Dornan is out, too.

As for Elba, he is too old. His skin color and charisma are non issues. His age is the issue.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,318
    TripAces wrote: »
    Cavill is a fine choice BUT I just can’t see EON doing it because he was Superman. They’ll want an actor not associated with other big roles/franchises. This is why Jamie Dornan is out, too.

As for Elba, he is too old. His skin color and charisma are non issues. His age is the issue.

His skin color is most definitely an issue and for many reasons, just like it would be with Shaft, if the tables were turned.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    We are so far away from the next James Bond casting that I will lay down and be prepared for all your scorn if the following is not true:

Once B25 comes out there will be a hiatus for Eon that lasts no less than three to four years. But probably five'ish.

So, every actor being discussed now will either be too old, too famous, or had too many duds...

I don't think Bond007 is on anyone's radar at the moment (unless via a completely goofy fluke).
    Perhaps he’s not even born yet. :))
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    peter wrote: »
    We are so far away from the next James Bond casting that I will lay down and be prepared for all your scorn if the following is not true:

Once B25 comes out there will be a hiatus for Eon that lasts no less than three to four years. But probably five'ish.

Certainly the odds are strong that this will be the case, but things can always change.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2018 Posts: 8,507
    I agree @mattjoes -- history tells us anything can happen: Connery came back not once, but (You Only Live) twice; Moore was done after MR; Pierce was Moore's replacement after AVTAK; DC was done after SP; Boyle is directing 25.

As I've discussed with another poster just today: do I believe DC is done with B25-- absolutely YES.

Do I think he could be lured back to do just one mo(o)re? Absolutely.

Could Hiddleston become the next 007-- it would prove, once and for all, that God doesn't exist, but; yes, this could still happen.

My money is on: if DC is NOT lured back for one Roger Moore, then EoN will go into a mini-hibernation to assess and evaluate how to bring 007 into the rest of 2020s (after 25)...

That would cancel most of the actors we have discussed here.
    Ah, ha! Then Harry Styles could be in the running!

5...4...3...2...1 Heads Explode! :D
  • peterpeter Toronto

I know nothing of Stiles— other than he was in a band. I certainly wouldn’t know their songs, but it’s clear they’re a teenybopper type group.

All I know is: the kid was very strong in Dunkirk.

Could he be a future Bond? He had “something “ in Dunkirk, and was more “alive” and “dimensional “ than some of the wooden TV caliber actors mentioned thus far.,,
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Harry Styles is 24 which is my age if they want to go really young then yeah I guess he could work but one actor who has not been mentioned in the rumor mill is max irons never saw any of his work but he has a good look.
  • maibaummaibaum Buenos Aires
    edited November 2018 Posts: 8

I know nothing of Stiles— other than he was in a band. I certainly wouldn’t know their songs, but it’s clear they’re a teenybopper type group.

All I know is: the kid was very strong in Dunkirk.

Could he be a future Bond? He had “something “ in Dunkirk, and was more “alive” and “dimensional “ than some of the wooden TV caliber actors mentioned thus far.,,

@peter I know some people thinkI’m nuts when I say this but with a few more years under his belt, as well as acting assignments, he is going to be a contender. He has got charisma, is over six feet, can act and has an intensity and screen presence that very few these days have .
    Now yes, someone can , and probably will, dig up the silliest photos of him to illustrate why I’m so insane, and they will dismiss him because of his teen idol roots; well Frank Sinatra, Will Smith and Justin Timberland started as teen Idols, and there are others.
    Trust me, the young man is a star in the world of music; even if it isn’t as Bond he will be a star in movies as well.

edited November 2018 Posts: 4,554
    I don't know about Styles as an actor or as Bond. But I can see him doing the theme song, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. This song has Bond theme written all over it:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not familiar with Styles outside of Dunkirk . I have to admit he didn't make any impression on me in the film, and I only learned about him as a possible Bond option on this site after my first viewing. Then I looked out for him on my 2nd viewing. Did it come up in the media about him being a possible choice, or was it merely on account of the Nolan as director talk? I can't recall.

In terms of going younger, it's an interesting thought. The first Millennial Gen Y Bond? That may take some getting used to but it has to happen eventually I suppose. Well if they go this route, then we'll just have more variety of choices to ponder and discuss on this thread over the years then (the 30+ crowd and the 20+ group). The more the merrier I say.

Nicholas Hoult is 28 or thereabouts and 6ft 3. Worth looking at.
    XF9MhGx.jpg

There's also Joe Alwyn, who is about the same age. I saw him in a film the other night and he made a favourable impression.
    Fuh65sP.jpg

I'll post more choices as I come across them.
    I have to say that I had a prejudice against Hoylt based on his earlier roles and appearance ; my daughter is a fan so I have been familiar with him and scoffed a while back when his name came up. But I have to say that in the photo above he looks to have potential. He will be roughly in his early/mid 30’s.

So, every actor being discussed now will either be too old, too famous, or had too many duds...

I don't think Bond007 is on anyone's radar at the moment (unless via a completely goofy fluke).

You may be right. At least if a long hiatus happens again we will have the Craig era all finished up and the drama around his Bond should be a non-factor at that point.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,554
    @peter is right: most contenders (including my fave, Charlie Hunnam) will be aged out of this. We should be looking at young actors, around 30 at the moment. From that standpoint, I give the edge to Jeremy Irvine. Problem is, Irvine shies away from fame and I can't seem him taking the role if he wants to maintain privacy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I've always liked Hoult. He's got depth, puts forth what feels like a genuineness in his performances. In a world where he's James Bond, I can see him pull off charm and seduction. My fear would be how he'd deal with the edginess-- Connery, Lazenby and Craig pull off their own versions of this with ease-- perhaps because each had a mean-streak in real life that shouldn't be crossed?

I don't see that in Hoult. Or many actors of his generation, unfortunately. There's not a lot of "rugged" pups out there at the moment (and that concerns me!).