"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    Palace-Arsenal wasn't boring at all! Had all the drama you'll see in a London derby. Bad ref decisions, marginal goals, etc. I love Arsenal, but they do make things difficult for themselves. Wonder if we'll see a new defender in January or not.

Boring by comparison for sure! ;)

"London derby" is a bit much or what? I realize London has so many teams you can't have a weekend without some of them facing each other... but still: The teams should be of more similar level and stature for it to be considered a proper rivalry, right?

Nah, never cared for Spanish football anyway; PL feels like a league where everyone can beat anyone, while you can always expect Barca to bring home a win every weekend.

The difference in quality between Palace and Arsenal isn't that much, as today's result show. Palace have some really good defenders (in comparison to Arsenal's), while Arsenal have better attackers. I hope Unai have a few defenders on his shopping list, because there's a lot to address in that defence.
    Palace-Arsenal wasn't boring at all! Had all the drama you'll see in a London derby. Bad ref decisions, marginal goals, etc. I love Arsenal, but they do make things difficult for themselves. Wonder if we'll see a new defender in January or not.

Boring by comparison for sure! ;)

"London derby" is a bit much or what? I realize London has so many teams you can't have a weekend without some of them facing each other... but still: The teams should be of more similar level and stature for it to be considered a proper rivalry, right?

Nah, never cared for Spanish football anyway; PL feels like a league where everyone can beat anyone, while you can always expect Barca to bring home a win every weekend.

The difference in quality between Palace and Arsenal isn't that much, as today's result show. Palace have some really good defenders (in comparison to Arsenal's), while Arsenal have better attackers. I hope Unai have a few defenders on his shopping list, because there's a lot to address in that defence.

Take a look at the table of each League... Compare how many points the til two in England have compared to top two in Spain. ;)

The PL fanatics believe what they want to believe. When Man City decides the league before Christmas and wins with a hundred points it is only because they are so teriffic. If Barcelona or Real Madrid win it is only because the competition is poor. Yep, surely... Too bad Man City have never achieved anything in international competitions and English teams lose repeatedly when facing Spanish oppositon... Too bad reality gives no indication or basis behind the thesis you so desperately want to believe in... ;)
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Not saying the competition is poor in La Liga (because it isn't), but you just know Barca will bring it home (again). No one will place a bet on anything else. Man City were dominant last year yes, but before that, Pep's side weren't that impressive. Chelsea won then of course. This year, Liverpool looks like a strong collective – and Klopp doesn't look like going all attack in the same manner which hurt them defensively last year. The matches I've seen of Liverpool so far, looks like a side that want to control their matches more.

I don't really care about how the English sides does in Europe (other than Arsenal, of course!). All I know is that La Liga doesn't offer me the same enjoyment as PL does.

What I DO like about La Liga this season so far, is Real being horrible!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 7,500
    Not saying the competition is poor in La Liga (because it isn't), but you just know Barca will bring it home (again). No one will place a bet on anything else. Man City were dominant last year yes, but before that, Pep's side weren't that impressive. Chelsea won then of course. This year, Liverpool looks like a strong collective – and Klopp doesn't look like going all attack in the same manner which hurt them defensively last year. The matches I've seen of Liverpool so far, looks like a side that want to control their matches more.

I don't really care about how the English sides does in Europe (other than Arsenal, of course!). All I know is that La Liga doesn't offer me the same enjoyment as PL does.

Each to their own of course. You have no idea however how many who say the same thing, yet admit they haven't seen a game in La Liga for years. So how could they possibly know how enjoyable it is or not? (I am not saying you are one of them, don't get me wrong).

- "You just know that Barcelona will bring it home"

Except when they don't... Which happened four games in a row not long ago. If I was gonna be a little bit rude I would say Barcelona have been tested far more by mid table teams in La Liga during the last couple of years than when facing top English teams.

Edit: But now it's time to see weather Rosenborg can salvage this league title or not! (Speaking of seamingly uncompetative leagues...) ;)

Each to their own of course. You have no idea however how many who say the same thing, yet admit they haven't seen a game in La Liga for years. So how could they possibly know how enjoyable it is or not? (I am not saying you are one of them, don't get me wrong).

- "You just know that Barcelona will bring it home"

Except when they don't... Which happened four games in a row not long ago. If I was gonna be a little bit rude I would say Barcelona have been tested far more by mid table teams in La Liga during the last couple of years than when facing top English teams.

Edit: But now it's time to see weather Rosenborg can salvage this league title or not! (Speaking of seamingly uncompetative leagues...) ;)

People should definitely see a few matches before claiming one league is better or worse. I know it shouldn't, but I'm more likely to tune in to a Burnley match than a Sevilla match (just as an example).

Of course Barca can experience the occasional bad run, but in the end, their more than likely to take home the trophy. Interesting to see Alavés on 20 points already, though.
    _________
    Good start for Rosenborg! Keep it up, please!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Superb.
    Superb.

Indeed!
    Phew! Great first half by Rosenborg away against Brann – horrible in the second. That pitch though – icy and rock hard, because they forgot to turn on the heat under the pitch – can you believe it!

Ref horrible too. Reginiussen kicked in the head with studs; nothing given. Accidental or not, that has to be a yellow. Win is a win, though – but Rosenborg need to keep it up to secure the title again.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,280
    DCisared wrote: »

Read quickly through some paragraphs right now. Interesting read, but not shocking unfortunately. FIFA and the big clubs will always do what they can as far as money goes – which of course will be very unfortunate for the sport, and the smaller teams that simply can't compete against them. Not surprised to see Arsenal on the list either.

The list:
    The 11 clubs listed as "founders" of the European Super League -- the ones that would apparently not face relegation -- are Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus Turin, FC Chelsea, FC Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City, FC Liverpool, AC Milan -- and Bayern Munich. All seven clubs in the secret society are represented. The five "initial guests," according to the document, would be Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Olympique Marseille, Inter Milan and AS Roma.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,329

Read quickly through some paragraphs right now. Interesting read, but not shocking unfortunately. FIFA and the big clubs will always do what they can as far as money goes – which of course will be very unfortunate for the sport, and the smaller teams that simply can't compete against them. Not surprised to see Arsenal on the list either.

The list:
    The 11 clubs listed as "founders" of the European Super League -- the ones that would apparently not face relegation -- are Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus Turin, FC Chelsea, FC Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City, FC Liverpool, AC Milan -- and Bayern Munich. All seven clubs in the secret society are represented. The five "initial guests," according to the document, would be Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Olympique Marseille, Inter Milan and AS Roma.

Not surprising but nonetheless still sickening. Football is meant to be an escape away from all the crap and corruption but it becomes less and less about the actual game and supporters.

Be interesting to see who this multiple champions league winner is who’s failed drug tests.

The list:

Not surprising but nonetheless still sickening. Football is meant to be an escape away from all the crap and corruption but it becomes less and less about the actual game and supporters.

Be interesting to see who this multiple champions league winner is who’s failed drug tests.

Indeed. Football in it's pure form is source of great entertainment, and should remain so - not a money making machine. Unfortunately, that's the reality we live in, and the sport is more about the money than ever before.

Didn't read the entire article; was there mention of a CL winner who’s failed drug tests?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

The list:

Indeed. Football in it's pure form is source of great entertainment, and should remain so - not a money making machine. Unfortunately, that's the reality we live in, and the sport is more about the money than ever before.

Didn't read the entire article; was there mention of a CL winner who’s failed drug tests?

Yep, they have more revelations coming in the next few weeks.

The list:

Yep, they have more revelations coming in the next few weeks.

Good! Will be interesting to see what's revealed. Hopefully Arsenal haven't done too much shady business, but with Kroenke as owner, and Usmanov as a former shareholder, I wouldn't be surprised to read some unpleasant news in the coming weeks…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,337
    Last minute winner by United, United did not play great though I'll take any points we can get. City next week...
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,280
    1-1 at the Emirates Stadium. Another step in the right direction for Arsenal I think. Great goal by Lacazette, and a good performance overall (goal against aside).

Ouch! Which game was that taken from?
  • RC7RC7
    1-1 at the Emirates Stadium. Another step in the right direction for Arsenal I think. Great goal by Lacazette, and a good performance overall (goal against aside).

Ouch!

Arsenal were very, very good. Particularly in the first half. Could’ve won the game. Surprisingly impressive. Bit of composure in and around the box and I think you could’ve taken the 3 points.
    RC7 wrote: »

Ouch!

Arsenal were very, very good. Particularly in the first half. Could’ve won the game. Surprisingly impressive. Bit of composure in and around the box and I think you could’ve taken the 3 points.

Yeah, they were. Expected something like an 0-4 result because of all the injuries, but they came away with it with a deserved one point. Unai has worked well with the team in his first 16 games as Arsenal manager.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Ouch! Which game was that taken from?

No idea.

Surprising in one way, but nothing wrong with using a friendly as a fundraiser for a good cause. We need more stories like these amongst the Football Leaks news, etc.

If that's not match fixing, then it's truly horrible defending!
    Wow,Fulham really are shit.