Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

The Exorcist - the latest version, and the movie is just about brilliant.

The Exorcist II, the heretic - Richard Burton gets drinking money and the sight of Linda Blair semi naked filled me with a uncomfortable voyeuristic feeling.

The Exorcist III - The Blatty version, a very nice sequel to the first one and has his moments of great scare. A nice sequel that fits the shoes as straight sequel to the first one rather better than the Burton movie.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Watched The Darkest Hour last night. Never knew Winston Churchill went on the London Underground and charmed members of the public

That part was made-up.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I sadly wasn't that impressed with Apostle. It had a very "been there, done that" feel to it, and it seemed rather obvious where it was headed after 10 or 15 minutes. It was outstanding on a technical and performance level though: brilliant acting, and the set design and costumes were superb. I also really enjoyed the randomness behind the flashbacks, too.

I wasn't blown away and maybe the it was more the technical level and performances that impressed the most. I agree it wasn't wholly original.

I did enjoy the slow building menace of it and boy did it look gorgeous, the cinematogaphy and production design made the most of it's budget.

I can't say I noticed personally where it was going that soon but Stevens is just magnetic and like I say he blows all the competition away for the next Bond in my view.

He's got that steely look in his eye, a great voice, the right build and looks to pull it off.
    He has the charisma as well, he's shaping into a real great actor in my view.

Granted if you want another Brosnan like in the shape of Cavill then so be it, I don't and I think Stevens could offer a rounded portrayal that doesn't just have to be like Craig he could pull off dead pan humor and also I'm sure he wouldn't disappoint the ladies.

As long as he doesn't suddenly go stratospheric between now and when they need the next Bond I can't see a better candidate out there.

Although on the evidence here and other roles I wouldn't be surprised if someone snaps him up for a role that could do just that before the position is vacant.
    @Shardlake, I couldn't agree more on Stevens and Bond. I might be fantasizing, but for at least the first half of Apostle I got a very strong Fleming Bond vibe, the tall, lean man on a secret mission operating in the midst of enemies, trying to find some friend and succeed in his job.
    I enjoyed a lot how the tension built slowly but not tormentingly slow, and the feeling of danger right from the start. I also liked the acting and cinematography, despite everything being a bit bleak.
    I was positively surprised by the ratios of thriller, horror, realistic violence, and over-the-top violence. Everything was there in the right amount for my taste.

Glad you enjoyed, I can see those paralells now you mention it but it never struck me at the time.

Yeah Stevens is my no. 1 for the role and I can't see anyone else getting near that.
    I saw Sorry to Bother You in the theater yesterday--it's a riotous, scathing satire on telemarketing, race relations, corporate capitalism, and a lot of other stuff. The first two-thirds are more sustained than the final third, but it remains an impressive debut for director Boots Riley.

At home I watched Huckleberry Finn (1920), the first film adaptation of Twain's classic and still one of the best. Filmed only a decade after Mark Twain's death, it's free from the slickness of later Hollywood adaptations and has a truly convincing young lead, instead of a cutesy child actor. Lewis Sargent's Huck is completely convincing, a ragged, likable mutt that Twain would have liked. George Reed plays a mature, sometimes sedate Jim, but he's under-served by the script and missing footage. Huck and Jim's friendship doesn't comes across as deeply as it should, despite the excellence of the actors, and that is a major flaw.

Director William Desmond Taylor is better known for his unsolved murder than his movies, but he was a skilled filmmaker with a fluid, advanced style. His film's pacing and style were advanced for 1920 and hold up well today. The settings and art direction have rustic, old-time authenticity: the filmmakers emulated Edward W. Kemble's illustrations and shot the outdoors scenes in the Sacramento River Delta (where later Finns were also shot, since it was closer to Los Angeles than the Mississippi River and looked just as good).

There has yet to be a great film made from this classic novel, but Taylor's production features the best Huck and is the closest to Twain's own time, which makes it worth seeing more than many later films of Huckleberry Finn.
    Revelator wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Watched The Darkest Hour last night. Never knew Winston Churchill went on the London Underground and charmed members of the public

That part was made-up.

Yes I gathered that. One of the corniest scenes I’ve seen in a film for sometime.
    Apt Pupil (1998). Rough around the edges, but overall still an effective film for me. It’s a truly creepy story with some great performances.
    Ghost in the Shell (2017)
    Pee-wee's Big Holiday
    The Client
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,602
    "An Ungentlemenly Act" 1992

An often overlooked TV movie about the invasion of the Falkland Islands. Bob Peck is the highight of a superb cast and the director does a great job on a tiny budget. Check out this battle scene set piece (the tracers from the hills are done very well) and plenty of dark, ironic British humour.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Angelica (2015)
    Still2_JenaMalone_Angelica_FreestyleDigitalmedia_600.jpg
    Though considered a Horror film first, I think it would be more fitting to call this a Drama, with slight Horror elements. Jena Malone gets an all too infrequent lead as a mother who risks her sanity to protect her child from a supernatural force.

The Greengage Summer (1961)
    si-bel-ete-the-greengage-summer-lewis-gilbert-l-bvnede.png?w=480&h=360
    It's nice to see Kenneth More get to play something a little different to his usual type.
    THE HILL (1965)
    Haven't watched this in years, and only recently acquired it on dvd!
    It has aged well, a dark drama about a British Army prison, in North Africa, run by tough but fair, Harry Andrews, where inmates are broken on the Hill, a man made structure which they are forced to build, and climb over and over.
    New inmates Sean Connery, Jack Watson, Roy Kinnear, Ossie Davis and Alfred Lynch, are put through their paces by sadistic new guard Ian Bannen. When the weak Lynch dies from the endurance Connery character seeks justice.
    Excellent film, well directed by Sidney Lumet with sweeping photography by the great Oswald Morris, it really keeps you gripped through to the devastating final scene!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE RETURN OF DRACULA (1958)

This was certainly different. Top five Dracula.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Halloween (2018) a film that is a straight sequel to John Carpenter’s original. A few nice touches like using the same font for the credits and of course Carpenter’s iconic theme, updated for a modern, big-budget (well bigger than the original). I quite enjoyed it, but think it’s time to really kill off MM now - though, as his signature heavy breathing can be heard as the end credits fade I suspect not!
    The Night Comes For Us 2018

It was entertaining if somewhat convoluted, it's far bloodier and gory than the Raid 1 & 2 and nowhere as near compelling. Those that said this will do if we don't get a Raid 3 are obviously easily satisfied this doesn't even approach the imagination and ambition of those 2 films.

Glad I watched it but don't see a need to return.

3/5
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It'll have to, since it's already confirmed we're not getting The Raid 3.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That's too bad!
    Taken 3
    Three Amigos
    The Great Silence
    Death Rides a Horse
    Carrie (2013)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Bad Times at the El Royale I didn’t see any of this movie coming! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The 2.5 hr runtime just flew by. It’s one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. A great thriller! I don’t want to spoil anything so I won’t say any more but I can’t recommend this movie highly enough.

I'm a big fan of this one. Dracula comes to a small town in the 1950's. Francis Lederer is one of the most refreshing interpretations, IMO. He looks cool with the over coat draped over his shoulder and has a menacing presence throughout. Great score by Gerald Fried.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Bad Times at the El Royale I didn’t see any of this movie coming! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The 2.5 hr runtime just flew by. It’s one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. A great thriller! I don’t want to spoil anything so I won’t say any more but I can’t recommend this movie highly enough.
    I’m really looking forward to this one. I’m going in completely blind, which is odd because I’m a movie news fiend. I know nothing about the plot.

Mathis1 wrote: »
    THE HILL (1965)
    Haven't watched this in years, and only recently acquired it on dvd!
    It has aged well, a dark drama about a British Army prison, in North Africa, run by tough but fair, Harry Andrews, where inmates are broken on the Hill, a man made structure which they are forced to build, and climb over and over.
    New inmates Sean Connery, Jack Watson, Roy Kinnear, Ossie Davis and Alfred Lynch, are put through their paces by sadistic new guard Ian Bannen. When the weak Lynch dies from the endurance Connery character seeks justice.
    Excellent film, well directed by Sidney Lumet with sweeping photography by the great Oswald Morris, it really keeps you gripped through to the devastating final scene!

Great one
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I'm a big fan of this one. Dracula comes to a small town in the 1950's. Francis Lederer is one of the most refreshing interpretations, IMO. He looks cool with the over coat draped over his shoulder and has a menacing presence throughout. Great score by Gerald Fried.

It is quite esoteric.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    That's too bad!
    I also watched it. I don't think it's as disappointing as @Shardlake states. Sure, it is rather convoluted, but can't that be said of most of these Asian-type actioners? Their writers almost take a perverse delight in throwing in as many double-crosses and the odd misdirection, it's almost par for the course. The Night Comes For Us has some great little touches that make some of the fight scenes seem quite fresh. Overall, I thought it was pretty damned good. I've been majorly disappointed with some of the recent releases lately, such as Mandy, Apostle, and the new Haunting of Hill House TV series, that it was quite a relief to find something that I could finally sit back and enjoy.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,602
    First Man (2018)

It was always going to be tricky as The Right Stuff is in my top 2 of all time but I really did not take to this film. The overiding theme of a man dealing with the death of his daughter overides the much more inspiring, exciting and unique theme of space exploration. All posiive emotion seems to have been taken out, leaving the main character either on the edge of tears or in robot mode. Effects are great but no greater than in 1983 IMHO. The sound track adds to the detached, sombre mood of the whole film. This is space travel!! it should be exciting, uplifting and inspirational. All of the Apollo crew had the "right stuff" but there was little evidence of it within this movie. There is more to cheer about in the six minutes below than the one hundred and fourty minutes of First Man.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Halloween, 2018

ColdWellmadeButterfly-max-1mb.gif

Overall, I'd have to say it's a pretty glorious return to Haddonfield for the World's Worst William Shatner cosplay.

There's a neat throughline about how serial killers aren't scary anymore in an age of mass-murderers and school shootings, but the film successfully manages to respect the style of Carpenter's '78 film and make Michael Myers an intimidating presence again; seeing The Shape glide around accompanied by his signature 5/4 motif was a joy to behold. The level of gore is perfectly judged, and the violence hits hard (usually a wall of some description) without seeming exploitative.

Curtis owns the film. The story delves fairly deeply into the pyschological scars left by her first go-around with Myers, and she 100% commits to crazy Laurie Strode.

There are a few blips. The knock-off Loomis subplot is an automatic one-star deduction (awful in concept, worse in execution), and the kids are the usual annoying kitchen knife fodder. Some of the dialogue is ropey, but mostly the actors manage to pull it off.

Big kudos to David Gordon Green; he very clearly understands what made the first film have such an impact and what made Myers such a terrifying force, unfortunately diluted by Halloween 4-6. While he was never going to make a film as instantly iconic as that first film, he has certainly managed to give it a worthy sequel. Very much enjoyed, and very relieved I did so! I was terribly afraid as I walked in that I was going to dislike it, but the credits soon put my mind at ease.

3.5/5

bondsum wrote: »
    That's too bad!
    I also watched it. I don't think it's as disappointing as @Shardlake states. Sure, it is rather convoluted, but can't that be said of most of these Asian-type actioners? Their writers almost take a perverse delight in throwing in as many double-crosses and the odd misdirection, it's almost par for the course. The Night Comes For Us has some great little touches that make some of the fight scenes seem quite fresh. Overall, I thought it was pretty damned good. I've been majorly disappointed with some of the recent releases lately, such as Mandy, Apostle, and the new Haunting of Hill House TV series, that it was quite a relief to find something that I could finally sit back and enjoy.

This - I really enjoyed it, wasn't remotely close to being weak like he noted. Sure, the script wasn't anything special, but the action is where it's at and boy does it deliver. It's also easily the bloodiest, most unrelenting action film I've ever seen. Doesn't get more insane than watching someone yank their pinky finger off or somebody literally hold in their guts while still fighting. Pure insanity and I loved it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    That's too bad!

This - I really enjoyed it, wasn't remotely close to being weak like he noted. Sure, the script wasn't anything special, but the action is where it's at and boy does it deliver. It's also easily the bloodiest, most unrelenting action film I've ever seen. Doesn't get more insane than watching someone yank their pinky finger off or somebody literally hold in their guts while still fighting. Pure insanity and I loved it.

I didn't say it was weak it just didn't enage me like the Raid films, I found it overly violent and almost cartoonish, the action is impressive but the plot didn't grab me infact outside of the action which was eye popping at times it was just not engaging.

I'm glad others are enjoying it, yes it had some outstanding choreography throughout but the overall story was nothing like Rama's in both The Raid 1 & 2.

I think maybe I went in with too much of an expectation as some people who had seen this at one of the festivals were putting it up there.

I remember going to the cinema to see The Raid and both my Wife and I walked out the cinema literally exhausted but exhilerated by the experience and that was repeated but on a more epic scale with the sequel and that was experienced again while watching it subsequent times on Blu ray since.

I didn't feel that at all with The Night Comes for us, sorry.

No need to apologize, I didn't direct it. I do agree in the sense that The Raid films are better - there's just something about Evans' directing style that trumps Timo's. Can't put my finger on it, but it feels a lot more frenetic and fast-paced, and Evans does much better at prepping the line of fighters, whereas in this one you can really tell that some of the fight extras are awaiting their cue (which is also a complaint I have with the John Wick series, as much as I love it).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Annihilation was an-a-ya-some
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Halloween, 2018

ColdWellmadeButterfly-max-1mb.gif

Overall, I'd have to say it's a pretty glorious return to Haddonfield for the World's Worst William Shatner cosplay.

There's a neat throughline about how serial killers aren't scary anymore in an age of mass-murderers and school shootings, but the film successfully manages to respect the style of Carpenter's '78 film and make Michael Myers an intimidating presence again; seeing The Shape glide around accompanied by his signature 5/4 motif was a joy to behold. The level of gore is perfectly judged, and the violence hits hard (usually a wall of some description) without seeming exploitative.

Curtis owns the film. The story delves fairly deeply into the pyschological scars left by her first go-around with Myers, and she 100% commits to crazy Laurie Strode.

There are a few blips. The knock-off Loomis subplot is an automatic one-star deduction (awful in concept, worse in execution), and the kids are the usual annoying kitchen knife fodder. Some of the dialogue is ropey, but mostly the actors manage to pull it off.

Big kudos to David Gordon Green; he very clearly understands what made the first film have such an impact and what made Myers such a terrifying force, unfortunately diluted by Halloween 4-6. While he was never going to make a film as instantly iconic as that first film, he has certainly managed to give it a worthy sequel. Very much enjoyed, and very relieved I did so! I was terribly afraid as I walked in that I was going to dislike it, but the credits soon put my mind at ease.

3.5/5

Thanks! I need to see this now!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    On several forums, the “ knock-off Loomis element is being universally criticized, how can filmmakers not see this at some point in the process?