Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nope. Howard Goodall.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nope. Howard Goodall.

Dammit. I had my hopes up for nothing...
    XkHc8MC.png
    Will there be a soundtrack album available for this film? I can't seem to find any trace of it online.

Was there one for Reborn? I know there was one for the first film.
    Yes, there was.

I see; then there will probably be a soundtrack release at some point? Would be strange if not.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Nope. Howard Goodall.

Dammit. I had my hopes up for nothing...
    XkHc8MC.png

Haha, it's always fun when that image pops up in discussions!
    Probably with the US release date. A month later.
    Ah, Howard Goodall. I'd forgotten. I'm only familiar with his work through Mr. Bean but I look forward to hearing what he came up with for this film.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Rowan Atkinson and Ben Miller on The Chris Evans Breakfast Show:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06lrhcm
    "Indeed, our film starts exactly like the beginning of Skyfall."

Can't wait!

(side note: gosh but Rowan Atkinson has a sexy voice.)
    Is any of the characters from Reborn appearing? I don't see them in the promotional material. I mean I'm glad they got Bough back, but I kind of liked the ensemble cast from Reborn as well.

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Rowan Atkinson and Ben Miller on The Chris Evans Breakfast Show:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/p06lrhcm
    "Indeed, our film starts exactly like the beginning of Skyfall."

Can't wait!

(side note: gosh but Rowan Atkinson has a sexy voice.)

OMG I totally forgot about this haha.

This plot is literally like Skyfall and M:I, it's probably for a reason cause it's a parody of the spy genres :D
    Gummy wrote: »
    Is any of the characters from Reborn appearing? I don't see them in the promotional material. I mean I'm glad they got Bough back, but I kind of liked the ensemble cast from Reborn as well.

Don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure none of the Reborn characters will return in this one
  • Gummy wrote: »
    Is any of the characters from Reborn appearing?

I watched Reborn last Sunday. Nobody returned except Johnny (if I remember correctly).
    Librarian wrote: »
    Gummy wrote: »
    Is any of the characters from Reborn appearing?
    I watched Reborn last Sunday. Nobody returned except Johnny (if I remember correctly).
    Bough appears in a deleted scene, but it's become non-canonical.

What a car!
    Oh yes!!!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    definately need to see it!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,682
    Just watched it. Pretty funny! More thoughts below.
    Best moments:
    -English and Bough disguised as waiters. :))
    -The VR scene, especially the part with the old lady in the wheelchair-- such things never get old!
    -The very ingenious chain of events that leads to the destruction of the yacht. Quality writing there!
    -The cameos by Michael Gambon, Edward Fox and Charles Dance. The scene they appear in is absolutely hilarious. I wish they had appeared again later in the film. (Edit: I remember there's a folder in the scene with a photo of young Edward Fox-- I got the impression they sourced it from The Day of the Jackal.)

I was very happy to see Bough again, and Olga Kurylenko had good chemistry with Rowan Atkinson. On the negative side, this film had the weakest villain of the three films. He was okay, but no match for John Malkovich and Dominic West.

Nice score by Howard Goodall. Bondian pastiche as expected, but of good quality, and as I recall there were some soft pieces with strings and woodwinds that were quite lovely.

I still think the first film is the best. 2 and 3 are close for me; I'm not sure which one I like best yet.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,682
    I was also thinking this latest film felt closer in tone to the first one than the second. Reborn was a little more serious than the other two, with basically all characters being played straight except for Johnny (even West's villain, in contrast to Malkovich's). As Rowan Atkinson stated, it was about having Johnny provide the humorous contrast to his serious surroundings. In the other two films, the silliness is a little more spread out between the characters. In Strikes Again in particular, there is Johnny, Bough, the PM and even the villain to some extent, all of which have more overtly comedic characterizations. And it's a "breezier", slightly more lighthearted film than Reborn.

Reborn also appears to have use more handheld camera shots, which gives it a different feel.
    We'll have to wait 25 more days to see it.
    I'll talk to you then.

tumblr_n92do9ZdNI1qarjjvo1_400.gif
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,241
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'll talk to you then.

Hope you'll also talk to us waiting for the film to be released on DVD/Blu-ray!
    Looks like I'll be seeing it on the 27th, because then I can see it with my friend for double the fun.
    Looks like I'll be seeing it on the 27th, because then I can see it with my friend for double the fun.

Going off-topic for a bit, but how did the second series of A Very Secret Service compare to the first, @Agent_99? Haven't had the chance to watch it yet!
    I enjoyed it very much, @Torgeirtrap! It's darker than the first series but still with plenty of laughs, especially when the Three Musketeers go behind the Iron Curtain together...
    I enjoyed it very much, @Torgeirtrap! It's darker than the first series but still with plenty of laughs, especially when the Three Musketeers go behind the Iron Curtain together...

Now that sounds very interesting! Need to get around to watching it soon!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'll talk to you then.

Hope you'll also talk to us waiting for the film to be released on DVD/Blu-ray!

But of courshe. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just read that the German title will be "Johnny English - Man lebt nur dreimal" (You Only Live Thrice).
    That's cute, given that last time round he was Reborn!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Yep. Always knew it. That's why I hope he comes to use the alias "Richard Latham" in the new one, which was the character's original name.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Watched Johnny English 2 the first time tonight. Far from perfect, but i had tears in my eyes twice, because I had to laugh that much. And is it only me, or is Rosamund Pike much hotter here than in DAD?
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Watched Johnny English 2 the first time tonight. Far from perfect, but i had tears in my eyes twice, because I had to laugh that much. And is it only me, or is Rosamund Pike much hotter here than in DAD?

That's the first thing I though when I saw her in JE2!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Nice to hear. Maybe it was her character in DAD, she had to act “frosty“ because of her name.