No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I'm actually thinking the repeated attempts to do something "new" and "different" are what's getting tiresome and overplayed. Fallout proved that formula can feel fresh and exhilarating when handled well, something which neither Skyfall or SPECTRE did IMO.

Fallout isn't playing against 56 years of history. Bond has to be fresh while also working within the parameters of the brand.
  • I find the mere association of vanilla middle class fluff like the Mission Impossible series with anything Bond very strange. They are basically polar opposites. One is utter homogenized mass market nothingness, the other is overtly snobbish refined elitism.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,532
    barryt007 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    One bit that I would have liked to have seen in SF would for Bond, in the PTS, to have looked basically like he did in the first two films, fit and at the top of his game.
    Following his being shot, when we see him enjoying death in his self imposed exile, his hair is buzzed and he’s unshaven; he’s shed his previous skin.
    This would have illustrated burnout rather than age and not painted him into the corner of being too old .

I have never understood the 'age' situation in SF,thats my main gripe with that film.
    As you say 'burnout' and injury,seem the obvious symptoms,his age isn't even mentioned in SP so what was the point ?!

This exactly. The only main problems I have with SF is Bond suddenly being too old for his job, some cheesy lines, Kincaid stupidly using a flashlight, and the godawful gun barrel. Do what @talos7 said about the PTS, put a silent and classically designed gun barrel sequence at the start, have Silva spot M in a different way, and the film is pretty much perfect.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    One bit that I would have liked to have seen in SF would for Bond, in the PTS, to have looked basically like he did in the first two films, fit and at the top of his game.
    Following his being shot, when we see him enjoying death in his self imposed exile, his hair is buzzed and he’s unshaven; he’s shed his previous skin.
    This would have illustrated burnout rather than age and not painted him into the corner of being too old .

I have never understood the 'age' situation in SF,thats my main gripe with that film.
    As you say 'burnout' and injury,seem the obvious symptoms,his age isn't even mentioned in SP so what was the point ?!

Well Daniel Craig was in his mid to late 40s when he made SF. I think Mendes wanted to make a film about middle age and SF is basically Bond’s mid-life crisis. It’s probably a very personal note from the director to incorporate that angle and show the years have burned Bond out.

Personally, I’d rather that a director with a unique touch like Mendes came in an was able to put a unique spin on the formula in this respect. He made a personal film with SF and was still able to tell a Bond story. That is hugely commendable. Also, huge props have to go to Daniel Craig to play burnt-out so very well.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Well Daniel Craig was in his mid to late 40s when he made SF. I think Mendes wanted to make a film about middle age and SF is basically Bond’s mid-life crisis. It’s probably a very personal note from the director to incorporate that angle and show the years have burned Bond out.

Personally, I’d rather that a director with a unique touch like Mendes came in an was able to put a unique spin on the formula in this respect. He made a personal film with SF and was still able to tell a Bond story. That is hugely commendable. Also, huge props have to go to Daniel Craig to play burnt-out so very well.

Well if Mendes was injecting a personal commentary on middle age, then it’s an example of the pitfalls of having a director who is an auteur. Obviously Bond is older but the series would have been better served keeping his aging ambiguous. Once being too old is mentioned, it’s a bell that can’t be un-rung.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,532

Well if Mendes was injecting a personal commentary on middle age, then it’s an example of the pitfalls of having a director who is an auteur. Obviously Bond is older but the series would have been better served keeping his aging ambiguous. Once being too old is mentioned, it’s a bell that can’t be un-rung.

Exactly. If it wasn't for the aging plot point, then there would be no reason that this new continuity couldn't last decades like the previous one. Now it makes even less sense than the previous because of it. It backs things into a corner.

"Are you ready to get back to work?"
    "With pleasure. For a couple years until I gotta retire anyway."
    Nearly a week now and Fukanaga still hasn't quit over creative differences! Looks promising.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Barbara has added another film to her busy producing schedule, 'Till'.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I'm actually thinking the repeated attempts to do something "new" and "different" are what's getting tiresome and overplayed. Fallout proved that formula can feel fresh and exhilarating when handled well, something which neither Skyfall or SPECTRE did IMO.
    I can´t recall an instance where I have been more in Agreement with you, @Mendes4Lyfe ;-).

Even Burnout, why? There is Nothing Prior that suggests Bond could be prone to Burnout. If previous films or even better SF itself would have built up to it, yes, great theme. But Nothing of that sort happened, which IMO makes Bond into some miserable sod who doesn´t get his life in order.

doghouse wrote: »
    I find the mere association of vanilla middle class fluff like the Mission Impossible series with anything Bond very strange. They are basically polar opposites. One is utter homogenized mass market nothingness, the other is overtly snobbish refined elitism.
    The financial success and the mass Catering contained in recent Bond films paints another Picture.

Mendes just seemed to have overlooked that Bond most of the time appeared at least as old as Craig, and still knew very much to enjoy life. Plus, SF follows directly on two films that had Bond already dealing with heavy personal issues. This brings up the Question why such a wimp is given a Job with such responsibility. Again, I would love those themes, as Long as they would be properly built up to.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    There are a few trying to use terms like 'snowflake', 'SJW' or express misogyny or disdain to figures like Barbara Broccoli. But these individuals are very few and have clearly been influenced by the storm caused by The Last Jedi.
    Breaking News: Hatred for a single woman does NOT equal hatred for all women.
    I find the mere association of vanilla middle class fluff like the Mission Impossible series with anything Bond very strange. They are basically polar opposites. One is utter homogenized mass market nothingness, the other is overtly snobbish refined elitism.
    What you wrote is true for the first three M:I movies, but the last three Mission Impossible films are more high-end than most Bond movies. Watch M:I - Rogue Nation and Tomorrow Never Dies back-to-back, then tell me with a straight face that the Bond film was the more refined one.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,891
    As far as burnout, perhaps disillusionment would be a more accurate description , a disillusionment with the seemingly duplicitous nature of government, MI-6 and, on a Freudian level, M. With her order to shoot, she abandoned Bond and showed no faith in his abilities.
    Perhaps years of seeing the hypocrisy , and questionable priorities of an otherwise noble nation , organization and immediate superior/ maternal figure led to Bonds “ remaining dead”
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    If mark tildesley departs as production designer and dennis gassner decides not to return which production designer that regularly works with fukunaga would be likely hired?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If mark tildesley departs as production designer and dennis gassner decides not to return which production designer that regularly works with fukunaga would be likely hired?
    Alex DiGerlando, who served as production designer on Maniac and True Detective. I wouldn't mind at all if he takes over, although I'm hoping Tildesley stays on.
    I know it's hard but imagine if SF had never been made. Imagine that none of us had seen it. With it's themes of "old ways are the best", "hire me or fire me", "he's lost a step", "old dog, new tricks", etc etc, it would be IMHO a perfect send off for the DC era and a perfect send off for Dench so they go as a pair. (leaving a fresh M with a fresh Bond in the next movie)

The screen play should have locked away and saved for ...now.
    patb wrote: »
    I know it's hard but imagine if SF had never been made. Imagine that none of us had seen it. With it's themes of "old ways are the best", "hire me or fire me", "he's lost a step", "old dog, new tricks", etc etc, it would be IMHO a perfect send off for the DC era and a perfect send off for Dench so they go as a pair. (leaving a fresh M with a fresh Bond in the next movie)

Absolutely...

Personally I love skyfall. Classic Bond. spectre not quite as much but slot better than what others claim.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,548
    Can we take the SF stuff elsewhere? There are other threads for it. It's exhausting.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Can we take the SF stuff elsewhere? There are other threads for it. It's exhausting.
    Agreed though the discussion is not going to make the Skyfall

;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yet Skyfall is closer to Craig's start than it is to the end of his tenure. Ironic.
    Walecs wrote: »

Yet Skyfall is closer to Craig's start than it is to the end of his tenure. Ironic.

Could SF possibly have been written as a potential exit for Craig? Aging themes, anniversary year, new beginning. Makes sense.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TripAces wrote: »

Haha, nice reference.
  • Station_Z wrote: »

Definitely looks like a way to scam you out of $100 to me...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thanks @TripAces
    In order to keep this thread open and active could we please move all Skyfall discussion to its own thread.

Any more Skyfall discussion may be deleted.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Remington wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »

Could SF possibly have been written as a potential exit for Craig? Aging themes, anniversary year, new beginning. Makes sense.

I don't think so, back then Craig was still contracted to do two more, and MGW even wanted him to do up to eight.

I think it was because of the 50th anniversary.
    I think it was just Mendes having an itch to scratch
    I remember Mendes, in an interview, saying that one of the main things he wanted to do was to show Bond aging. Ugh
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I think it’s a wonderful idea. I know some like a Bond that is superhuman and perfect in every way. But I like a human Bond. Maybe it would have worked better for some if there had been another movie between Quantum and Skyfall, but I have no problem showing an ageing Bond. I find it fascinating.
    Just a thought of ending B25. It would never happen but the towards the end Bond receives a message from Strangways about coming down to Jamaica to do some fishing and how he has a matter to discuss with Bond regarding a mysterious island.

Full circle

In my eyes the DC Bond movies are set before the Connery era.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Just a thought of ending B25. It would never happen but the towards the end Bond receives a message from Strangways about coming down to Jamaica to do some fishing and how he has a matter to discuss with Bond regarding a mysterious island.

Full circle

In my eyes the DC Bond movies are set before the Connery era.
    In my eyes QOS and SP do NOT exist. Dominic Greene? Franz Oberhauser? LA LA LA LA LA... I can't hear you!

There is only CR, SF and Bond 25.