Cary Joji Fukunaga Film Club

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Glad you seemed to love it as much as I did @peter, and I think @PropertyOfALady is a big fan, too. It's a hazy fever dream, a show that won't be for everyone, but I've recommended it to anyone I discussed it with since yesterday.

I'm very overwhelmed, @Creasy47 ... it was beautiful-- in all of its darkness and comedy and violence-- it wraps up to be something so magical. Damn... That's our director for 25?...

Wow.

Serendipity

Things happen for a reason.

Goody bye Boyle.

Hello Cary.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I cannot watch it easily, and it may not be my cup of tea anyway ... but this tells me more about Cary and his versatility, his ability to tell a story visually, and it's just reaffirming for me that he is a great choice for Bond 25.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was a bit lukewarm on Boyle too, so to go from him to Fukunaga is quite the upgrade in my opinion. I can't wait to see what he delivers. In the meantime, I need to get around to his first two films, I've yet to see those.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I was a bit lukewarm on Boyle too, so to go from him to Fukunaga is quite the upgrade in my opinion. I can't wait to see what he delivers. In the meantime, I need to get around to his first two films, I've yet to see those.
    Agreed. Fukunaga is one of the best names to have been touted for the job.
  • The cinematography in Fukunaga's films are beautiful.

Who do we think from Cary's previous collaborators could get the job? I think there's a good chance we get someone new.

Adriano Goldman
    jane-eyre-2011.jpg

Adam Arkapaw
    image-w1280.jpg?1445964948

Darren Lew
    jonah-hill-and-emma-stone-tumble-through-alternate-realities-in-trailer-for-netflix-limited-series-maniac-watch-2.png?w=840

Cary did his own photography for Beats of no Nation. But I doubt Eon would let him.
    ae70-beasts-of-no-nation.jpg
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    I really like the cinematography in True Detective. Was it the same cinematographer on all episodes directed by Fukunaga?
    I'd go with Arkapaw if I had the choice. His work on True Detective was incredible.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Plus Adam Arkpaw just sounds awesome.
    Plus Adam Arkpaw just sounds awesome.

It's Arkapaw, but it does sound awesome, doesn't it? Great name. But on that department, nothing beats Fukunaga. Cool names to see on the pretitles, right? ;)
    I was a bit lukewarm on Boyle too, so to go from him to Fukunaga is quite the upgrade in my opinion.
    My opinion too. Fukunaga is already twice the artist Boyle is. I haven't seen anything from him that i haven't liked. As for Boyle, can't like anything of his. Tried, very hard, but couldn't.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    The cinematography in Fukunaga's films are beautiful.

Who do we think from Cary's previous collaborators could get the job? I think there's a good chance we get someone new.

Adriano Goldman
    jane-eyre-2011.jpg

Adam Arkapaw
    image-w1280.jpg?1445964948

Darren Lew
    jonah-hill-and-emma-stone-tumble-through-alternate-realities-in-trailer-for-netflix-limited-series-maniac-watch-2.png?w=840

Cary did his own photography for Beats of no Nation. But I doubt Eon would let him.
    ae70-beasts-of-no-nation.jpg

I have yet to watch cary's other work I'm almost finished watching true detective season 1 and I really would love to see Adam Arkapaw be DOP the show has such a beautiful and surreal look to it!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,665
    For me it would be Arkapaw or Goldman,...or himself. But I do Agree, Arkapaw did a beautiful job in TD. Now, imagine Fukunaga working with Deakins. Wouldn't that be something?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Glad you seemed to love it as much as I did @peter, and I think @PropertyOfALady is a big fan, too. It's a hazy fever dream, a show that won't be for everyone, but I've recommended it to anyone I discussed it with since yesterday.

It's the next day, and this show clings like a happy hang-over.

Today I'm thinking of the performances. In a show that's crammed wall to wall with brilliant characters and execution via the actors-- where does one begin??

Jonah Hill and Emma Stone-- is there nothing she can't do? I wasn't surprised by the more dramatic elements, but her comedic chops blew me away.

Or what about Sonoya Mizuno? What a quirky turn as Dr. Fujita.

Billy Magnussen? Whom I don't remember from The Big Short!

So happy to see the always mesmerizing Gabriel Byrne-- and damn, was he ever in this!

@Creasy47, I find my head still swirls from downing this mind-f*** in under 24 hours. What are your thoughts on the performances (as far as I can see, Fukunaga's work showcases so many of his talents (from visceral/masculine and non-compromising story-telling, that seems to always contrast with very heartfelt and emotional themes (the yin and yang of this man?), to beautiful visuals, and always, always, always GREAT PERFORMANCES)?...
    I live overseas (I just never say where on public media), not in U.S. now. So I don't get to see most tv shows or series (yes, I am hiding out in the Amazon jungle; you guessed it). BUT just to say I am reassured that several people are enjoying Cary's other work. I think he is very talented, not one dimensional, and gets consistently great performances out of his actors. That seems to come across in his other work that I have not seen, so I'm glad people are writing about it.
    Cool to know that Cary Fukunaga is directing the next Bond film. His having appeared on Licence to Kill makes for an interesting connection with the franchise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I live overseas (I just never say where on public media), not in U.S. now. So I don't get to see most tv shows or series (yes, I am hiding out in the Amazon jungle; you guessed it). BUT just to say I am reassured that several people are enjoying Cary's other work. I think he is very talented, not one dimensional, and gets consistently great performances out of his actors. That seems to come across in his other work that I have not seen, so I'm glad people are writing about it.

@4EverBonded , his work SCREAMS talent. Just mind-blowing! I think tonight I will start to re-watch TD again. That should satiate me (for a couple of days!)...
    @peter, I couldn't agree more; I had that same fleeting feeling after flying through it on Friday. I thought all the performances across the board were fantastic, it's too hard to single out a favorite. I did love the chainsmoking Dr. Fujita role, though; Hill and Stone were absolutely incredible as the two leads, and I thought the mother-son turn of Sally Field and Justin Theroux, respectively, were phenomenal.

At some point this week or maybe next weekend, I think I'm going to watch it again. I can't help myself.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I may have to join you on a second viewing. I'm dying to see it again.

And yes, Sally Fields... Uh... love how she greets her son after seven years!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Seeing a lot of praise for Maniac here. Interestingly, here in Norway (Maniac is loosely based on a Norwegian series) the reviews have been mixed. One critic (one of my favourite critics, actually) called it "tedious and pretentious".
    Nice quote from article:
    “Maniac’s” madness would probably be less cohesive without the steady hand of Fukunaga, who helped ignite the current trend for auteur television by directing all eight episodes of “True Detective” in 2014. Working with “incredible focus and incredible tenacity,” Fukunaga was able to maintain “a level of tonal control for a show that’s very, very hard to get in TV,” said Somerville.

Fukunaga is eager to point out he wasn’t the first filmmaker to direct an entire series — he cites Tom Hooper’s “John Adams” and Krzysztof Kieślowski’s “The Decalogue” as earlier examples. But having endured the painful process of reducing “Jane Eyre” into a two-hour feature, he craves a larger canvas. “I love David Lean's films, and larger epics just don't have a place anymore in cinemas,” he said.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Wonderful article. Thanks for posting @4EverBonded ...
    This one apparently has spoilers for 'Maniac" so don't read it if you have not seen all of it.
    Interesting comments of his regarding shooting a full TV series/limited series on your own. I hope that's not his last foray into the medium, and we see more of that from him after Bond 25 at some particular point.
    Emma Stone outta be cast by fukunaga as the next bond girl in bond 25 or is she a bit too young for craig?
    Emma Stone outta be cast by fukunaga as the next bond girl in bond 25 or is she a bit too young for craig?

I'll pass on that, Craig is 21 years older than her.
  • peterpeter Toronto

She's an amazing talent @Goldeneye0094 , but yes, I think she's too young. Saying that, she's got a terrific action sequence in Maniac (shot wonderfully as well), so she wouldn't be uncomfortable in Bond-type action.
    He also confirmed to NYPost in an interview that it was indeed one continuous shot and not stitched together. He says it's harder to choreograph, but actually takes less time to film once you nail it down and get the perfect shot, versus spending weeks and weeks shooting it with different cuts and whatnot.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He also confirmed to NYPost in an interview that it was indeed one continuous shot and not stitched together. He says it's harder to choreograph, but actually takes less time to film once you nail it down and get the perfect shot, versus spending weeks and weeks shooting it with different cuts and whatnot.

Yeah, I think he said it only took half-a-day to shoot.

I'd love to see a "oner" in B25-- an action sequence like the one in Maniac and TD (although not 6 minutes long!).
    Michelle Monaghan probably would be more age appropriate for craig, She played a great role in true detective