No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Judi Dench gave Fukunaga the picture that Steve Mcqueen had singed for her, she lift it up right off her own wall and gave it to him. Now, how cool is this fella?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    "Tim you can't come back after five years and just do one". My, how times have changed.

We'e gone from six movies (four of which are among the best in the franchise) in a decade to two (and one of them is terrible).

I truly wonder when Bond 26 will be released.

Not five?

Thunderball's underwater scenes are too slow and they make the movie somewhat boring to me - not saying it's a bad movie, there are so many great things in it (Barry's score, Celi as Largo, Auger as Domino and the overall plot), it's just that I would not consider it among my top #10 Bond movies.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Not to toot my own horn, but I mentioned Fukunaga, somewhere/someplace on this site a long while back. I loved TD. This is a good choice, folks!
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited September 2018 Posts: 108
    As The Guardian article mentions, Cary Fukunaga has walked away from many projects on the eve of production due to creative differences. He earned a negative reputation for leaving "It" (2017) mere weeks before production. He bolted from True Detective Season 2, he walked away from directing The Alienist, etc. He is very insistent on "realizing his vision." If he is still director when Bond 25 starts production, this might be a contentious shoot. Fukunaga might collide with Babs and her partisanship regarding P&W as writers.
    (1) Of Fukunaga's stuff, I've only seen BEASTS OF NO NATION. It was great. I've been meaning to check out True Detective. The trailer for Maniac doesn't quite catch my interest, but I suppose it's sort of a duty now to at least have a peek at it.

(2) I'm really going to miss the feeling of a new Bond in the cinema during November.

(3) But I'm glad the delay is only four months and especially that its releasing worldwide on the same day.

(4) Suddenly the thought of P&W returning is more bearable.

(5) Anyone have any sources where Fukunaga speaks about Bond? Is he a fan?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Have only watched Catch Me If You Can of these two, but I agree that the costumes in that film were really good.
    It's a very stylish film.
    If Spielberg had ever done a Bond film it would've felt a lot like CMIYC. Great, great film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TripAces wrote: »
    Not to toot my own horn, but I mentioned Fukunaga, somewhere/someplace on this site a long while back. I loved TD. This is a good choice, folks!
    I seem to recall your mentioning him. Nice call and an off beat choice.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 252
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I think Universal will definitely be looking at every 2-3 years after B25 and Craig are finished.

They don't wait around .

Universal have only a contract for Bond 25, so after B25 the Race about the distribution rights starts again
    The helmer also shared his thoughts on whether Elba could play James Bond.

"I believe that guy can pretty much do anything. For lack of better words, James Bond is this quintessential panty-dropper, and so is Idris," he said. "They’re both pretty charismatic, so why not?"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tiff-2015-cary-fukanaga-says-822726
    The helmer also shared his thoughts on whether Elba could play James Bond.

"I believe that guy can pretty much do anything. For lack of better words, James Bond is this quintessential panty-dropper, and so is Idris," he said. "They’re both pretty charismatic, so why not?"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tiff-2015-cary-fukanaga-says-822726
    I like this guy already.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »
    A Feb 2020 release date, does this mean they're less concerned with chasing awards buzz this time around?

Not that it can't/wont happen, but Oct/Nov is fair more awards friendly.

Very interesting comments.

I think Eon would love to be in the awards race. However, I really feel they just want Bond 25 to come out already.

Remember, the Feb 202 release could always get pushed back if Eon really think they have a 'Best Picture' on their hands.

However, I think Eon want February as it means a clear run at the box office (ala Black Panther and Captain Marvel).

Bond only really gets Oscar buzz in the craft and song category. I don't think that'll change with the release date.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Strelik wrote: »
    As The Guardian article mentions, Cary Fukunaga has walked away from many projects on the eve of production due to creative differences. He earned a negative reputation for leaving "It" (2017) mere weeks before production. He bolted from True Detective Season 2, he walked away from directing The Alienist, etc. He is very insistent on "realizing his vision." If he is still director when Bond 25 starts production, this might be a contentious shoot. Fukunaga might collide with Babs and her partisanship regarding P&W as writers.

I'm unfamiliar with his work / work ethics, but that would look really bad. This is why I would feel more comfortable with an experienced "journeyman" director at the helm.
  • Strelik wrote: »

I'm unfamiliar with his work / work ethics, but that would look really bad. This is why I would feel more comfortable with an experienced "journeyman" director at the helm.

Fukunga is no "journeyman". He's the most arthouse director Eon have ever picked. He's part of the new edgy breed of filmmakers eschewing the studio system and moving towards long-form narrative on streaming services.

He's massively talented, cool and interesting. Pretty much everything Bond hasn't been for a few years. If you want the series to return to its bold and risky roots, he's the right choice.

Danny Boyle was cool and irreverent in the 90s. But I think we're all over glowsticks and raves these days.

Fukunga has class and edge.

I kinda agree! Not trying to be pessimistic, but we may not be out of choppy waters yet, if we read into this guys history!
    I read somewhere that Michael Caton Jones,
    Was on a shortlist one time. Director of Scandal, Rob Roy, and Memphis Bell, he probably would have been a solid choice!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Fukunga is no "journeyman". He's the most arthouse director Eon have ever picked. He's part of the new edgy breed of filmmakers eschewing the studio system and moving towards long-form narrative on streaming services.

He's massively talented, cool and interesting. Pretty much everything Bond hasn't been for a few years. If you want the series to return to its bold and risky roots, he's the right choice.

Danny Boyle was cool and irreverent in the 90s. But I think we're all over glowsticks and raves these days.

Fukunga has class and edge.

I didn't call him a "journeyman", I said I would feel more comfortable with a "journeyman" director at the helm. Calling him an arthouse director doesn't ease my worries. I don't want an Oscar winning arthouse film, I just want a Bond film.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I'm so pleased with this news. A totally unexpected choice, an American, and a postponement that'll help shape a better film. Sin Nombre was absolutely fantastic. The tension in that film was off the charts. Marcelo Zarvos' score is brilliant too. I have such a good feeling about this now. Well done EoN.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

I also dropped Fukunaga’s name like 11 days ago. XD Mostly because he seemed like the perfect match for a Bond toying with the idea of bringing some elements from YOLT, like the official placeholder Shatterhand suggested.

BTW better a fresh talented filmmaker with a clear vision than a generic older and comfortable journeymen imho.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm excited but I'm gonna keep my expectations low. At least until I read the plot synopsis and see the trailer.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    matt_u wrote: »

I also dropped Fukunaga’s name like 11 days ago. XD Mostly because he seemed like the perfect match for a Bond toying with the idea of bringing some elements from YOLT, like the official placeholder Shatterhand suggested.

BTW better a fresh talented filmmaker with a clear vision than a generic older and comfortable journeymen imho.
    You guys are ahead of the curve. I almost ignored your comments because I didn't think they'd go for someone like him after Boyle, and also because I hadn't really heard of him. The unpredictability and novelty of it all is certainly exciting, but with that comes an element of risk.

I'm keen to know who they cast as Bond girl and villain. That is what will make or break this for me.
    I'm excited but I'm gonna keep my expectations low. At least until I read the plot synopsis and see the trailer.

I really can’t wait to see the official cast. I’m still hoping for a Felix comeback.
    I'm keen to know who they cast as Bond girl and villain. That is what will make or break this for me.

Me too!

For example, I don’t know how I would react to a Blofeld return. Won’t happen, but who knows...
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria

I really can’t wait to see the official cast. I’m still hoping for a Felix comeback.

Always liked the idea of Matthew McConnaughey has Felix.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,294
    =bg= wrote: »

Always liked the idea of Matthew McConnaughey has Felix.

What about Matthew McConaughey as the villain? That would be something.

Very unlikely though.
  • Fukunaga broke his silence on landing the Bond directing gig during an interview with IndieWire. “I’ve wanted to do one of these [Bond films] for a long time, so that’s not new,” he said. “So right now it’s just kind of dealing with the shock that it’s real and the honor obviously and now the responsibility.”
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/cary-fukunaga-direct-bond-25-daniel-craig-2020-release-date-1202005389/
    shutterstock_9881578ak.jpg?w=780
    I really do hope he doesn’t pull out, given some of his history. I have to just hope for the best though. I really love the choice, and I’d hate for the production to get even rockier than it already was.

Interesting and exciting as it all is, it keeps my curiosity very high about what we would have gotten with Boyle’s Bond. It should go down as one of, if not THE greatest, “what if” for this film series. I’d love to know the story/script, tone, ideas behind Boyle’s Bond 25, and exactly why he left. Hoping we get to know all that good stuff along the way!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541

Me too!

For example, I don’t know how I would react to a Blofeld return. Won’t happen, but who knows...

Lane return in fallout maybe blofeld still can, hard to say
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    BOND’S SWEET VALENTINE – Why Cary Joji Fukunaga directing BOND 25 is a delicious curveball for the franchise...

"The House of Bond never dropped the ball. Behind the scenes, they were quietly and adeptly doing what they often do - turning a Thunderball into a curveball."

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I really do hope he doesn’t pull out, given some of his history. I have to just hope for the best though. I really love the choice, and I’d hate for the production to get even rockier than it already was.

Interesting and exciting as it all is, it keeps my curiosity very high about what we would have gotten with Boyle’s Bond. It should go down as one of, if not THE greatest, “what if” for this film series. I’d love to know the story/script, tone, ideas behind Boyle’s Bond 25, and exactly why he left. Hoping we get to know all that good stuff along the way!

I can't imagine, given his comments about wanting to do one for a long time, that he would. As a director, he's wanted a shot at this: here it is. Chances are, he's also already seen a draft or drafts of the P&W script and knows the direction they're going in. He'll play ball.
    Hopefully so! I'm very interested to see what he will bring to the table, and I think he is a great choice for Craig's Bond. I'd love to see a more CR/QoS tone for this last one, which I think we may have a better chance at getting with Cary over Boyle. Probably more action than we would have gotten with Boyle, too (which could be good or bad).

Hopefully from here on out, we can enjoy some good tidbits coming out of pre-production, and eventually the production itself. I suppose we probably won't know the title/full cast until sometime early next year, though.
    Looks like I'm late to the party. My first reactions (I've not read the comments posted in the last 24 hours yet):

1. Alright, alright, alright!
    2. Please forgive me Goddess Barbara! :bz
    3. Fukunaga is a good choice. Scratch that. He is a very, VERY good choice.
    4. Overjoyed that they didn't pick a nobody. S.J. Clarkson and Bart Layton on suicide watch! :))
    5. Not only is Fukunaga much superior to Clarkson or Layton, I believe he is a much better choice than Yann Demange or David Mackenzie would have been. I can't believe I didn't even think of him when I compiled my most recent Bond director wish list.
    6. Fukunaga is a WRITER-director! Will he become the first Bond director EVER to get a writing credit for his Bond film?
    7. LOVE the delay! Not too much, but it will give them enough time to deliver a movie fans deserve.
    8. LOVE the February release date! Less competition and I still get to watch the new Bond movie in cold weather!
    Damn right @PanchitoPistoles. I agree with all of your comments - and ain't that something? ;) Cheers