Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Teaser was fantastic but when full trailer came out I was little disappointed especially with the mediocre line- the author of all your pains, I came here to kill you, also in teaser there was the scene of moneypenny saying personal effects of skyfall when handing over to bond but that scene was not in the final cut like the way it was in teaser.

Why does he sound half asleep when be says that?

I think some of the line deliveries are better in Die Another Day, TBH.

Half sleep lol well said, he does sound like that. May be bond and moneypenny finally got intimate that explains why he was a bit jealous in Rome car chase while on phone.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SO had so much potential but ultimately it sucked and is now officially, in my ranking, right at the bottom. Firmly 24/24.
    May be after a decade I would be able to judge, say how good SF & SP was when another actor is on his 3rd or 4th film. Its too soon for me.
    May be after a decade I would be able to judge, say how good SF & SP was when another actor is on his 3rd or 4th film. Its too soon for me.

That could be 20 years away.
  • Nearly three years on, SPECTRE still holds steady at #8 on my Bond film rankings.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Nearly three years on, SPECTRE still holds steady at #8 on my Bond film rankings.

Good place to have it.
    vzok wrote: »

That could be 20 years away.

No 10 years from the film is released for skyfall in 2022 and for Spectre in 2025 especially when next bond arrives presumably in 2022 when bond films will celebrate 60 years.
  • SP is infuriating, more so as time passes. It’s so much a “nearly” movie. If they’d just been brave enough, it could have been the best ever. With the issues already plaguing the next movie I’m not reassured they learned any lessons from its audience reception, however, as they made a FORTUNE from it nevertheless.

They made that DB10 car chase look SLOW (even Bond gets so bored that he makes a phone call to the office mid-chase); the twist with the villain was a bad idea and a poor retcon that finally broke Daniel Craig’s movies from the official series timeline (before Spectre, all his other Bond Films could have existed on the same timeline, with CR and QoS as a prequel, and SF as a sequel to DAD); Bond does idiotic things the character wouldn’t ever do, like risking the lives of thousands of people in Mexico, the whole plane car-chase in Austria that in reality wouldn’t have worked out, or delivering himself unarmed to the villain but with no plan of action at all?

It’s in place #13 in my list.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I was amazed and excited by the „kite“ trailer ... ended up being one of the few great scenes in the movie.
    SPecialExecutiveforCounter-intelligenceTerrorismRevengeExtortion-

1. Counter Intelligence : as in gathering information by establishing new world order program Nine Eyes(Information is all).
    2. Terrorism: Mentioned by Tanner attacks in Hamburg/Tuinisia(North Africa) which makes sense they would go to Tangier and Sahara desert & also Mexico.
    3. Revenge: I will take revenge because daddy loved bond more than me.
    4. Extortion: On South Africa to join the Nine Eyes motion.

Where did it go wrong?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

1. Counter Intelligence : as in gathering information by establishing new world order program Nine Eyes(Information is all).
    2. Terrorism: Mentioned by Tanner attacks in Hamburg/Tuinisia(North Africa) which makes sense they would go to Tangier and Sahara desert & also Mexico.

Where did it go wrong?
    The bolded part.

Where did it go wrong?

None of these points worked particularly well, IMO.
  • ValoisValois Canada
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1
    It's my least favourite Craig film but I have a soft spot for Quantum because I really love Bolivia.
    The thing is, even as a lot of Spectre really frustrated me, it was still entertaining all the way through and some of the action sequences really really got me.
    I just took issue with some of the way the plot was handled, the torture scene's ambiguities, and the need to connect things that probably didn't need to be so explicitly connected. Can't really go deeper without spoiling anything. But there was also kind of a nastiness to it - the scene with Mr. White, the tone of the torture, etc. - that was jarring compared to how over the top a lot of it was.
    It's by far the most polarized bond film for me, but I am struck by how not one of the Craig films has really fallen flat for me the way some of the Brosnan ones did. I think the fact that the new series relies on having very intense action sequences and layered intrigue-based plots makes it very watchable even at its least inspired - whereas the reliance on gadgets to solve problems in some of the Brosnan ones make it less fun for me to rewatch. Say what you will about Spectre's plot issues, you get to see a helicopter fight above a crowd. There's a lot of vintage Bond moments even if it didn't hold together for me. If anything, I'd probably love it if it had been a little less ambitious in terms of twists and retconning and had just kept the bare bones of the plot and worked on its own terms instead of as the movie that "explains" everything.
    So it would probably still be higher than average on my list of overall Bond films, but it didn't do it for me as much as the last few.
    It rose up a bit the last couple times I watched it. However I have since watch some other Bonds which have easily shoved it back down again.
  • It's my #12.
    Below Golden Gun and above Moonraker.
    Bottom of the lot.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Hovers at the bottom for me, with the other culprits License, Quantum and Moonraker.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's only at the bottom of so many rankings because it's still the most recent Bond film. Happened with Quantum too. There will still be those who rank it dead last, but perceptions will inevitably change with time and perspective.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    #3.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Birdleson wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's only at the bottom of so many rankings because it's still the most recent Bond film. Happened with Quantum too. There will still be those who rank it dead last, but perceptions will inevitably change with time and perspective.

Thanks for telling me why I rank things @jake24 . Don't try to analyze others motivations, you haven't a clue as to why I or anyone else ranks their films inside there own head; it's quite presumptuous to assume that you do. In the history of my Bond viewing only two others had gone immediately to the bottom (MR and DAD) before SP. If your theory was true there would have been a Hell of a lot more that reached those depths. And it is the only one I left the theatre feeling with absolutely no joy (those other two at least had me in suspense or laughing or into the films at times).
    I never once told you (or anyone, for that matter) why you rank things where they are, so I have no idea why you're so defensive. Your reasoning for ranking SP last makes total sense (you find no enjoyment in it). I, and several others, are merely stating that perceptions change with time. And if history repeats itself as it has with countless other films in the series, people tend to look at a film differently when more come after it. Again, not everyone will change their opinion, but I'm sure many will. Rest assured, I couldn't care less either way. I don't sit here analyzing numbers and charts trying to decipher why people rank a film where they do.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    It's certainly possible that the ranking could change in time for some. As an example, I've moved CR down my rankings over the past 3 years due to the connections with SP, which I find difficult to avoid. I much prefer SF now, because I see it as a standalone, despite attempts by the film makers to link that as well.

Could I possibly view SP (and consequently the entire Craig era) more favourably depending on how I end up perceiving B25? Maybe. I'm not sure. We shall see.

My ranking of Craig as a Bond actor could also improve, but only slightly. He was always #3 for me and then dropped to #4 behind Dalton recently. He could possibly move back up to #3 after B25, but I don't see any further improvement. After 11 odd years, I've pretty much formed my impressions of him in the role, and any adjustments are likely to be moderate at best.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Craig's Bond are the one I appreciate the most. He's "my" Bond, since I saw CR when I was 15 (even if I remember watching all the classic one on TV every summer when I was a kid). I honestly and genuinely enjoy mostly all Bond entries - the only ones I really can't stand are LALT and DAD, plus the space act in Moonraker - but every picture has something that makes the watch worth. Having said that, all of Craig's Bond are in my top 10.
    Impressions can certainly change, but my point was that the mere fact that a film is the latest in the series makes people harder on it out of the gate is false, in fact it's quite the opposite. Unlike QOS and DAD, SP was lauded on here by almost everyone for a good year. It is time that crushed it by perception, not enhanced it (four years now, when is this enlightenment coming?). QOS took time to earn it's praise, starting in a place of derision. Not comparable to the SP situation at all.
    My point was that perceptions change all the time. I'm sure it works both ways.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Impressions can certainly change, but my point was that the mere fact that a film is the latest in the series makes people harder on it out of the gate is false, in fact it's quite the opposite. Unlike QOS and DAD, SP was lauded on here by almost everyone for a good year. It is time that crushed it by perception, not enhanced it (four years now, when is this enlightenment coming?). QOS took time to earn it's praise, starting in a place of derision. Not comparable to the SP situation at all.
    My point was that perceptions change all the time. I'm sure it works both ways.
    I think that's true. At least it is for me.
    Progressively worse over four movies.

And if you look at the history of Bond, apart from a modest Moore renaissance with FYEO and OP, you'd be forgiven for think that EON usually only revitalizes the brand with a new face.

Having said that, I believe B25 will be quite special. I base that on nothing but unscientific gut feel.

24. DAF
    23. QOS
    22. TMWTGG
    22. AVTAK
    21. SP
    I'm going through the Bond films at the moment, and having watched eight of them already in January, it's a very good chance I'l get through all of them during 2019. Won't expect SP to climb the rankings though. The Mendes films sits all the way down at the bottom, as I found hardly anything of interest in them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 40,468
    Well some may try and speak for others, but SP is dead last for me and not going anywhere anytime soon. There's no way it'll be trumped by any of the existing films for dead last, so it'll take a real stinker for it to move to 23rd. SF and SP will be at the bottom of the pile for some time for me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Well some may try and speak for others, but SP is dead last for me and not going anywhere anytime soon. There's no way it'll be trumped by any of the existing films for dead last, so it'll take a real stinker for it to move to 23rd. SF and SP will be at the bottom of the pile for some time for me.
    And that's totally fine. Not everyone's opinions change over time. Mine certainly hasn't for several films in the series.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mine has changed over the years with some films, don't get me wrong, but I'm incredibly steadfast and certain in my opinion of the last two films. Same with QoS - many changed their thoughts on this one over the last decade, but it's been in my Top 5 (or so, it may fluctuate a spot or two from time to time) since I saw that first showing opening night back in 2008.