Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

Somewhere in the middle, just outside of top ten, me thinks.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    When I saw it in theaters, I preferred it over SF and had it tied with QOS. Ranked it around #12. Now I lump it in with CR'67 and NSNA, but at least those two films are entertaining. In my eyes, SF was the last official Bond film. Lol no negativity here.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    No. 24 for me but I rate the rest of the DC era and they would be in my top 10.

To me that says a lot, like Mendes should have done one and that should have been it. Although Blohauser/Brofeld will always be the factor and that god awful theme it sits there as well as after the PTS being devoid of suspense and thrills.

I'll be honest about the DC era when it deserves it and I can't defend that film one bit, wish it wasn't the case.

I invested in it whereas TND, TWINE & DAD I didn't which would definitely be langishing near he bottom of the pile and DAF.

The major disappointment it was for me is why I have it there.
    To me,its an arrogant,presumptious film,that rode on the success of SF,even down to the soundtrack.

Even Craig's performance in it is arrogant and unconvincing.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    For me it's top 10, I think it is around place 8 or 9. So better than SF but lower down than CR and QoS.

The reappraisal for QoS only begun around the time of SF's release. Between 2008 and 2012 it was quite difficult being a fan of that film. So tastes changes, as it will with SP in due time for some.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    MrBond wrote: »
    For me it's top 10, I think it is around place 8 or 9. So better than SF but lower down than CR and QoS.

The reappraisal for QoS only begun around the time of SF's release. Between 2008 and 2012 it was quite difficult being a fan of that film. So tastes changes, as it will with SP in due time for some.

It was a little painful being a huge fan of QoS in a time where everyone else seemed to hate it, but that never made me retroactively change my opinion or question how much I enjoyed it that opening night, thankfully. I think my love and appreciation for it has only grown in the last decade (to note that it's been a decade since it was released is astounding - where does the time go?)
    And only 2 Bond films made in that time.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    In comparison to QoS: When I came out of the cinema I was very pleased on the one hand and totally angry on the other. I loved the story, cast, locations and energy it had ... but I was angry I was unable to enjoy enough of it due to the radical editing. Still I liked it very much but was happy when SF was a bit slower-paced in the action scenes which I still found breathtaking.

With SP I went to the theatre 4 times ... bought the tickets in advance. I was worried when they cast Waltz, horrified when I heard the title song for the first time and when I saw the abysmal title sequence I was ... embarassed. There were some great scenes in it, great visuals ... but the last third ruined everything. I can‘t sit through it anymore today. To me it‘s 24/24 ... even all Q scenes plus the Altaussee-sequence were wonderful.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It surpassed Skyfall upon seeing it opening night. But I get that new Bond film high with every new Bond film. It's dropped some probably somewhere between 12-15 right now. My recent viewing have been on different ends of the spectrum. One viewing I wouldn't go as far as hating it but definitely see disappointing areas. But then I'd go watch it a month or so later and love it. It's the most bipolar film in the cannon so that's why it's mid pack.
  • Poor Spectre. Loved the film on release day. On the first re-watch on bluray I could already tell something was off... went down the ranks to mid 12-14th place. Now it's near the bottom. Will have to make a new ranking soon, but this film gets harder to watch (and enjoy) every time. I do love the pre-credit sequence in Mexico City! I was lucky enough to visit Zócalo in Mexico City where the scene was filmed. :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It was middling for me when I saw it. The Brofeld stuff was enough for me to instantly dislike despite it's technical precision and merits. It's fallen a few more spots since.

Like ordering a straightforward, reliable dish at a restaurant and the chef ruins it by putting a wrong ingredient in.
    The third act detracts & for 275 million the action needed to be better
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Agree. There are plenty of films with lesser budgets delivering far better action scenes.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Agree. There are plenty of films with lesser budgets delivering far better action scenes.

Don't forget that explosion I guess it was all worthwhile to see that, wasn't it?

That budget and the results we got, can't believe how underwhelming and the total lack of suspense and thrills contained.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Shardlake wrote: »

Don't forget that explosion I guess it was all worthwhile to see that, wasn't it?

That budget and the results we got, can't believe how underwhelming and the total lack of suspense and thrills contained.

What explosion? :))
    Too many of the action pieces were forgettable, and watching the film, I fail to see where the budget really went – PTS aside.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DmcRx2jXgAEoQVv.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    In my list it stands around 16th or 17th. For me it has some memorable scenes but comparatively less than CR & SF.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Bottom 5. There are a few redeemable scenes, the train fight and the Spectre 'conference'. The PTS wasn't bad either. It just comes across as bland and forgettable.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Also, I know people say the Bond series jumper the shark in DAD with the surfing scene and the invisible Aston, but to me Bro-feld was just as bad, in a different way.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Also, I know people say the Bond series jumper the shark in DAD with the surfing scene and the invisible Aston, but to me Bro-feld was just as bad, in a different way.

Cant argue with that,at least the surfing scene was over in about 30 seconds,Brofeld definitely was not,its worse than the surfing scene imo.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

245 million, actually.
    matt_u wrote: »

245 million, actually.

Whats 30 million between friends ? ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    barryt007 wrote: »

245 million, actually.

:)

It's still the biggest budget ever for EoN...

245 million, actually.

:)

It's still the biggest budget ever for EoN...

I know...makes me cringe everytime I hear it mentioned Matt....what a waste.

245 million, actually.

Every year major movie explosions go unused. Explosive devices lie wasted on backlots around the world. Detonators sit dormant. Pyrotechnics are made redundant. Rampant CGI overusage has lead to a kerosene glut.

With just a little time and care these vast megabangs can be shared with those who truly need them - vapid movie producers, tired moviegoers who are busy texting, and at least two actors who can barely look at an inferno.

If you have 30 million dollars to spare then please send your donation to @mendesbigbangblunder and we'll ensure that flames aplenty will be the highlight of your movie favourite or fireworks celebration. Bless your hearts.
    It's bizarre SP cost so much. It's not like it's up on the screen. Does a single set stick in the mind? Not really.

I'd put SP somewhere around 19th probably.
    vzok wrote: »

245 million, actually.

Every year major movie explosions go unused. Explosive devices lie wasted on backlots around the world. Detonators sit dormant. Pyrotechnics are made redundant. Rampant CGI overusage has lead to a kerosene glut.

With just a little time and care these vast megabangs can be shared with those who truly need them - vapid movie producers, tired moviegoers who are busy texting, and at least two actors who can barely look at an inferno.

If you have 30 million dollars to spare then please send your donation to @mendesbigbangblunder and we'll ensure that flames aplenty will be the highlight of your movie favourite or fireworks celebration. Bless your hearts.

Hahaha very good..*round of applause*.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Scenes I liked in Spectre- day of the dead sequence/Spectre's Rome meeting/Bond's flat/Austria opening & Mr White/Bond & Madeline first meet/L'american sequence/Whole train sequence/Tokyo Nine eyes meet.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883

245 million, actually.

What's funny is I have seen the mid air money heist from Cliffhanger used in another film. I can't remember which one, but it was shot for shot directly lifted from this. So it's not as far fetched as one may think. A studio can reuse its product I suppose, to recoup costs.

There's also a famous suspense cue entitled The Conspirators from JFK (composed by the great John Williams) that I've seen used in trailers for other films over the years. It was actually used by Williams again with minor modifications in Jurassic Park.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »

245 million, actually.

What's funny is I have seen the mid air money heist from Cliffhanger used in another film. I can't remember which one, but it was shot for shot directly lifted from this. So it's not as far fetched as one may think. A studio can reuse its product I suppose, to recoup costs.

There's also a famous suspense cue entitled The Conspirators from JFK (composed by the great John Williams) that I've seen used in trailers for other films over the years. It was actually used by Williams again with minor modifications in Jurassic Park.

Executive Decision maybe ?