Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    The third act detracts & for 275 million the action needed to be better

245 million, actually.

Whats 30 million between friends ? ;)

Every year major movie explosions go unused. Explosive devices lie wasted on backlots around the world. Detonators sit dormant. Pyrotechnics are made redundant. Rampant CGI overusage has lead to a kerosene glut.

With just a little time and care these vast megabangs can be shared with those who truly need them - vapid movie producers, tired moviegoers who are busy texting, and at least two actors who can barely look at an inferno.

If you have 30 million dollars to spare then please send your donation to @mendesbigbangblunder and we'll ensure that flames aplenty will be the highlight of your movie favourite or fireworks celebration. Bless your hearts.

Hahaha very good..*round of applause*.
    What's funny is I have seen the mid air money heist from Cliffhanger used in another film. I can't remember which one, but it was shot for shot directly lifted from this. So it's not as far fetched as one may think. A studio can reuse its product I suppose, to recoup costs.

There's also a famous suspense cue entitled The Conspirators from JFK (composed by the great John Williams) that I've seen used in trailers for other films over the years. It was actually used by Williams again with minor modifications in Jurassic Park.

Executive Decision maybe ?
    No, it was a much lower budget affair and the scene was lifted directly. One could even make out the same actors in one shot. I'm not talking about the same concept, but a direct reuse of the scene. It was shameful.

245 million, actually.

Every year major movie explosions go unused. Explosive devices lie wasted on backlots around the world. Detonators sit dormant. Pyrotechnics are made redundant. Rampant CGI overusage has lead to a kerosene glut.

With just a little time and care these vast megabangs can be shared with those who truly need them - vapid movie producers, tired moviegoers who are busy texting, and at least two actors who can barely look at an inferno.

If you have 30 million dollars to spare then please send your donation to @mendesbigbangblunder and we'll ensure that flames aplenty will be the highlight of your movie favourite or fireworks celebration. Bless your hearts.

What's funny is I have seen the mid air money heist from Cliffhanger used in another film. I can't remember which one, but it was shot for shot directly lifted from this. So it's not as far fetched as one may think. A studio can reuse its product I suppose, to recoup costs.

There's also a famous suspense cue entitled The Conspirators from JFK (composed by the great John Williams) that I've seen used in trailers for other films over the years. It was actually used by Williams again with minor modifications in Jurassic Park.

Executive Decision maybe ?
    No, it was a much lower budget affair and the scene was lifted directly. One could even make out the same actors in one shot. I'm not talking about the same concept, but a direct reuse of the scene. It was shameful.

Aah i see.....cant help there then,matey.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,333

245 million, actually.

I can remember seeing Cliffhanger at an early preview back in ‘93 and the plane-to-plane airborne transfer being the most impressive and original stunt I’d seen since the days of Octopussy. Just a quick Google informs me that the stuntman received $1m for doing that, making it the most costly stunt ever performed up until that point. I don’t know if anyone has broken Simon Crane’s Guiness Book record since, I’m guessing not? There was a plane-to-plane airborne transfer used in Air Force One (1997) but it was made after Cliffhanger and the stunt wasn’t actually performed for real. I don’t recall any movie doing this before Cliffhanger.
    bondsum wrote: »

245 million, actually.

I can remember seeing Cliffhanger at an early preview back in ‘93 and the plane-to-plane airborne transfer being the most impressive and original stunt I’d seen since the days of Octopussy. Just a quick Google informs me that the stuntman received $1m for doing that, making it the most costly stunt ever performed up until that point. I don’t know if anyone has broken Simon Crane’s Guiness Book record since, I’m guessing not? There was a plane-to-plane airborne transfer used in Air Force One (1997) but it was made after Cliffhanger and the stunt wasn’t actually performed for real. I don’t recall any movie doing this before Cliffhanger.
    I recall the one in Air Force One and it didn't come close to the Cliffhanger stunt. So perhaps there was some arrangement allowing for its use elsewhere. I wish I could remember the film I saw the sequence in. It may have even been a direct to home video type affair but it was definitely the same scene that was used and interspersed with other footage.

Speaking of air sequences, I've been meaning to revisit the Airport series at some point. I remember viewing one of the early ones (Airport 75 I think) and being blown away by some of the footage. It was a 747 with a big hole in it up in the air. Really amazing for its time, and miles ahead of the pathetic CGI driven crap that was in the Concorde film which came later.
    I don’t think there’s an actual patent or copyright on performing a stunt @bondjames, unless one steals a physical device or blueprints that aids that particular stunt being performed, such as the famous corckscrew jump in TMWTGG. I’m afraid I cannot help you beyond suggesting Air Force One. I honestly can’t remember anything remotely resembling the plane-to-plane transfer being done in anything before Cliffhanger. I’ve seen most of the straight-to-video trash that came out before it, I can’t think of any movie using it. I’m not saying that you’re wrong, I just don’t recollect it.

You mention Airport ‘75, which I think was a guy being dropped by a winch into the cockpit of a plane by helicopter, but I don’t think the stunt was performed for real. Of course, Airport ‘75 stars one of my favourite actors of all time, Chuck Heston. They certainly don’t make actors like him anymore.
    I don’t think there’s an actual patent or copyright on performing a stunt @bondjames, unless one steals a physical device or blueprints that aids that particular stunt being performed, such as the famous corckscrew jump in TMWTGG. I’m afraid I cannot help you beyond suggesting Air Force One. I honestly can’t remember anything remotely resembling the plane-to-plane transfer being done in anything before Cliffhanger. I’ve seen most of the straight-to-video trash that came out before it, I can’t think of any movie using it. I’m not saying that you’re wrong, I just don’t recollect it.

You mention Airport ‘75, which I think was a guy being dropped by a winch into the cockpit of a plane by helicopter, but I don’t think the stunt was performed for real. Of course, Airport ‘75 stars one of my favourite actors of all time, Chuck Heston. They certainly don’t make actors like him anymore.

Amen to that.
    One of my all time favourite films is 'The Omega Man'.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    cockpit of a plane by helicopter, but I don’t think the stunt was performed for real. Of course, Airport ‘75 stars one of my favourite actors of all time, Chuck Heston. They certainly don’t make actors like him anymore.

I once had a disagreement with Charlton Heston (about gun control) on a radio show that I called into, but the connection on my phone went out. So I caught up with him a week later at a screening of BEN-HUR (1959) at the Egyptian Theatre in LA, and attempted to continue the argument (I had to buy his book and wait in line). He seemed totally unaware of what I was talking about, so he signed my book and dismissed me. One week later he went into rehab because of his drinking. I'm sure that there was a connection. Second celebrity that I sent to rehab (sportscaster Pat Summerall was the other).

I love that story, @Birdleson. :D Getting into an argument with the Chuck, huh? I'm glad you're still with us, mate. ;-)
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,272
    If you got any other interesting stories, @Birdleson, it's worthy an own thread!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If you got any other interesting stories, @Birdleson, it's worthy an own thread!

The Birdleson thread is a good idea.

If it is successful, a Thunderfinger thread might follow.
    Agreed. I like the stories @Birdleson tells! Far more interesting than my own life!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    SP is in my bottom four with DAD, TWINE and SF, unless 25 is atrocious those rankings won't change any time soon.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,272

Living in NY and LA as much as I did, and the events I'd go to, and my prank-oriented personality, I have plenty of stupid encounters with famous people. I don't even tell most people anymore because they stop believing me. Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, etc...so many stupid celebrity stories. I usually end up making them mad. I've already told my one Bond encounter (Brosnan) on here several times.

The funnier stories are about the minor celebrities from '70s sitcoms that I'd run into at grocery stores and delis, that can't get work and can't isolate themselves financially, but get recognized everywhere they go.

Robert Redford? Jack Nicholson? This really needs a thread! Tell us more!

Edit: Maybe a sort of "Tell us an interesting/funny story" thread could be an idea, so that anyone here could share whatever encounters/situations, etc. they've experienced with the forum?
    It would be better if it was general, not just me. That would be obnoxious. If someone makes the thread I'll drop one a week (some of them take awhile to tell).

Consider it done!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I have the original SP trailer on SKY that i got free with my film and i just watched it again after a long while,it makes the film look so damn good (even ignoring the cheating OHMSS track,which is so unfair and im glad it wasnt used in the film,it belongs to OHMSS only.)

The whole thing just seems like a damn fraud.

Although i am about to watch at least half of SP once more just to see how i feel now i have had a drink or 10..
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Agreed on the SP trailers. They were amazing. Imagine my surprise upon seeing the film.

Amen to that.
    One of my all time favourite films is 'The Omega Man'.
    Glad you love that movie @barryt007. I saw it back in ‘71, as I know @Birdleson did too, and I thought it was stellar.

I think it’s a bit of a shame that Heston is remembered pretty much solely for his stance against gun ownership when he was also a very prominent figure at the Civil Rights demonstrations, standing side-by-side with Martin Luther King when he gave his famous speech. I honestly don’t know where I stand in the debate of gun ownership in the States. It seems to me that the genie is out of the bottle (has been since since the 1800s) and to now take away guns from lawful abiding citizens, leaving the remaining guns in the hands of the criminals, would leave some feeling naked and defenceless. In the UK we have no such amendment, but guns are now readily available to those that want one, smuggled in from abroad. There are some calling for a similar leniency on possessing a weapon in the UK to defend their homes to that of the States. I suppose we don’t have the same school shootings, yet, as America, but it won’t be long before that’s happening in our own schools with the present gang culture and availability of guns. Sorry, I’m not advocating anything either way. Back on topic.
    Remington wrote: »
    Agreed on the SP trailers. They were amazing. Imagine my surprise upon seeing the film.

yep the trailers suggested it was going to be a classic
    Getafix wrote: »

Not going to be fooled by a trailer ever again!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Honestly I wasn't all that impressed with the trailers for the film. The first one was certainly better, but by the time the second came around I had my doubts.

Neither had the vitality or immediate visual impact of the first SF teaser trailer, which just blew me away. I loved the way it started off slowly and suspensefully and then kicked into that thumping score with all the quick flashes of the wonderfully lensed scenes.

None of that existed in the SP teaser trailer, which tried to go moody and sinister but already hinted at the predictability which was to come in the final film with the use of the OHMSS theme.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Teaser was fantastic but when full trailer came out I was little disappointed especially with the mediocre line- the author of all your pains, I came here to kill you, also in teaser there was the scene of moneypenny saying personal effects of skyfall when handing over to bond but that scene was not in the final cut like the way it was in teaser.
    Teaser was fantastic but when full trailer came out I was little disappointed especially with the mediocre line- the author of all your pains, I came here to kill you
    Both horrid and the latter one is laughably delivered as well. Cringeworthy.
    .. also in teaser there was the scene of moneypenny saying personal effects of skyfall when handing over to bond but that scene was not in the final cut like the way it was in teaser.
    Yes, Mendes said they reshot that scene. They filmed it early and then as they progressed with filming both he and Craig felt that it didn't work as initially filmed, so they redid it. Frankly I thought the original was really bad - Harris's delivery didn't impress me and I felt she overdid the "trust anyone". Glad they reshot it.
    Delivery was bad writing was worse. A lot of scenes were cut from the trailer like there was a beautiful shot of Mexico in the opening of trailer and Rome skyline, Austria plane chase from edge of mountains.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    How anyone would want Mendes back is beyond me, maybe if you have an agenda to show Craig can't go out on a high and just want to prove your point that he can't and should have finished with SPECTRE.

That is the only reason I can think of, as Bond fans we should be hoping for the very best person for the job and that they can deliver a film to erase the disappointment of the last one.

That's what I'm hoping for.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Teaser was fantastic but when full trailer came out I was little disappointed especially with the mediocre line- the author of all your pains, I came here to kill you
    .. also in teaser there was the scene of moneypenny saying personal effects of skyfall when handing over to bond but that scene was not in the final cut like the way it was in teaser.
    Yes, Mendes said they reshot that scene. They filmed it early and then as they progressed with filming both he and Craig felt that it didn't work as initially filmed, so they redid it. Frankly I thought the original was really bad - Harris's delivery didn't impress me and I felt she overdid the "trust anyone". Glad they reshot it.

"Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first."

"The latest thing from Q branch. It's called a radio."

"What makes you think it's my first time?"

Oooh, matron!

Maibaum would be turning in his grave.

Anyone calling out the SP script has to first acknowledge how utterly creaky and second rate vast chunks of the SF dialogue is.

"Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first."

"The latest thing from Q branch. It's called a radio."

"What makes you think it's my first time?"

Oooh, matron!

Maibaum would be turning in his grave.

Anyone calling out the SP script has to first acknowledge how utterly creaky and second rate vast chunks of the SF dialogue is.
    I can't fault your points. I think there was something in the direction, performances and visuals of SF which allowed me to forget all of that and be fully invested in the film. Ultimately I think it was the narrative thrust (M/Silva conflict) and characterizations too. None of that was present in SP for me, and that's why all of the problems stood out. I can appreciate how others may see it differently however - Hoyte did a decent job but it just wasn't for me.

EDIT: I have to say that I really miss the polished dialogue of the older Bond films though. It's a joy to watch even today. TB in particular is brilliant, but even FRWL or DAF are far above average.
    Skyfall had some decent dialogues as well. One can always find some good and bad in every bond film.
    Skyfall had some decent dialogues as well. One can always find some good and bad in every bond film.
    The Bond/M/Mallory sequence, the psych evaluation, the Silva monologue, the Bond/Severine conversation and the museum Q intro are especially good, as is Kincaide. I think the performances really elevated that film. Everyone seemed so alive and engaged.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This is true.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343

In time it will, I'm sure of that. It will be remembered as the Thunderball of this Era.

SP came out after Skyfall - the highest grossing Bond film ever, an instant classic for the franchise, like it or not - and the expectations were too high. SP is a movie on the same quality level of Skyfall, with the latter just being better at hiding its narrative flaws.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,077
    Teaser was fantastic but when full trailer came out I was little disappointed especially with the mediocre line- the author of all your pains, I came here to kill you, also in teaser there was the scene of moneypenny saying personal effects of skyfall when handing over to bond but that scene was not in the final cut like the way it was in teaser.

Why does he sound half asleep when be says that?

I think some of the line deliveries are better in Die Another Day, TBH.