No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Lol again with the silly frustration & complaints train. XD

This is going to be quite similar to the Skyfall situation, where EoN scrapped Peter Morgan's "Once Upon a Spy" script and asked P&W to write a new script which kept the best of Morgan's work/ideas. Then, when they hired the director, the script was polished again according to Mendes ideas. This is why I think that a 2019 release seems unlikely now. The P&W script will be 100% polished again by a director fellow screenwriter or even by the director himself.

P&W were part of every Craig movie - the best tenure since Connery - so I'm fine with them returning. Plus, it's obvious that their script will be polished again by someone else.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    So many assumption on BB/DC/P&W without even an official announcement. EON & others working with them knows about filmmaking more than we do they are not going to start building sets without even knowing what they are going to do, if they have 4 years gap after SP I am sure there must be a reason behind it and we may or may not know about it sooner or later. There is no official announcement on film Being delayed or P&W writing the script from the scratch because from what I read before Boyle that they had written a screenplay which was rejected which means they are using those 2 screenplay (B/H+P/W) to make it more polished. Let the trailer/Film out then make a judgement about good/bad in it.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Jack_Wade wrote: »
    Ok. Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are back!! What about if this ends just like it started??

Written by Neal Purvis & Robert Wade and Paul Haggis. Directed by Martin Campbell

;)

Oh yes, many of us have called for them to “ put the band back together”, the CR team, including Arnold. It would make a fitting bookend for Craig’s era.

:x

This. It would probably be the 2nd best film of the Craig era, if this would happen.

Make it so.

• RC7RC7
    SonofSean wrote: »
    So....back to Purvis & Wade. Quelle surprise! I think we now know why Danny Boyle was fired. He had (shock! Horror!) an original idea!! I have low (probably zero) expectations now for Craig's final outing. Heck. Maybe Babs can persuade Madonna to return for the next Bond song to really put the final nail into the coffin! But what did we expect? EON are far too controlling and risk adverse. Sigh. Right. Gonna binge on Amazon's Jack Ryan and banish Bond from my mind.

Don’t forget to pick your dummy up on the way out.
    they are not going to start building sets without even knowing what they are going to do,
    Someone hasn't read the Sony leaks. :))
    they are not going to start building sets without even knowing what they are going to do,

Do share it here please

Do share it here please

As far as I knew Sony leaks were about SP and by going your logic they might have prepared the sets for bond 50 as well.

Do share it here please
    When Purvis & Wade were doing major rewrites on the third act of Spectre, they were already building the sets that were going to appear in the third act.

Do share it here please
    When Purvis & Wade were doing major rewrites on the third act of Spectre, they were already building the sets that were going to appear in the third act.

Once a film enters official pre-production and has a firm release date, then every department must meet numerous deadlines at various stages of production and, of course, post-production, and set-construction is key to keeping the shooting schedule on track.

Do share it here please

Yes I Know but this doesn't prove anything about the sets for bond 25 and after SP it might have a low production budget with more realistic and less lavish sets.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Demange has once again distanced himself from Bond:
    https://observer.com/2018/09/white-boy-rick-director-yann-demange-interview/?utm_source=twitter&utm_content=entertainment&utm_medium=social+

myles_pettengill-_w1a0179-edit-1.jpg?quality=80&w=635

He admits that he spoke to Eon a while ago. However, he hasn't spoken to them since Boyle left. I think it's likely that he is playing it coy and doesn't want to jeopardize loosing the gig.

However, White Boy Rick just opened to tepid reviews and a pretty poor box office. The flop is being compared (ironically) to Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs film. They were both films positioned to be Oscar contenders with healthy budgets and promotional campaigns that haven't connected with audiences. Perhaps, Demange needs the Bond gig more than he thought. Deadline also confirm, once agin, that Deamnge is on the shortlist for Bond 25:

https://deadline.com/2018/09/the-predator-white-boy-rick-a-simple-favor-olivia-munn-box-office-1202464594/

I imagine that Demange must be actively campaigning for the role now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SonofSean wrote: »
    So....back to Purvis & Wade. Quelle surprise! I think we now know why Danny Boyle was fired. He had (shock! Horror!) an original idea!! I have low (probably zero) expectations now for Craig's final outing. Heck. Maybe Babs can persuade Madonna to return for the next Bond song to really put the final nail into the coffin! But what did we expect? EON are far too controlling and risk adverse. Sigh. Right. Gonna binge on Amazon's Jack Ryan and banish Bond from my mind.

@SonofSean
    Why are you speaking so condescendingly of Barbara Broccoli? What has "Babs" ever done to you? Are you really another one of those unintelligent, ignorant Internet jokers who can only reproduce angry outbursts started by others while failing to think for themselves?
  • mgeoff88mgeoff88 At a nice safehouse in Rome... Erm... Bay Area, CA
    I really wish they weren’t going with Neal Purvis and Robert Wade for Daniel Craig’s final outing as 007. Danny Boyle had the right idea to bring in John Hodge. I just hope we don’t end up with another QOS or Spectre.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Once a film enters official pre-production and has a firm release date, then every department must meet numerous deadlines at various stages of production and, of course, post-production, and set-construction is key to keeping the shooting schedule on track.
    Duh! The point is that a Bond film should NOT officially enter pre-production until they have a more or less finished script the producers are happy with.
    Yes I Know but this doesn't prove anything about the sets for bond 25 and after SP it might have a low production budget with more realistic and less lavish sets.
    You wrote that "they are not going to start building sets without even knowing what they are going to do," I simply pointed out that they have already done so in the past.
    Duh! The point is that a Bond film should NOT officially enter pre-production until they have a more or less finished script the producers are happy with.
    You wrote that "they are not going to start building sets without even knowing what they are going to do," I simply pointed out that they have already done so in the past.

Please, with respect, no Duh! I'm sure the Mods and many other members here, including myself, do not want this forum descending into child-like insults again. But just to clarify, many tent pole films enter pre-production without a finished or signed off shooting script, it happens all the time. Look at Mi: Fallout for example. If a film has a set release date, that drives production. And screenplays evolve with a production as well, say, for example, they find a wonderful location, which they realise they can make greater use of, and so they will fashion the script accordingly. This also happens all the time.

If P&W are indeed scripting their treatment, and Hodge's script is now being 100% dropped, then that is, as you suggest, a different matter, and then I suspect we will hear very soon that the production is being pushed back. The question will be, by how much.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400

Please, with respect, no Duh! I'm sure the Mods and many other members here, including myself, do not want this forum descending into child-like insults again. But just to clarify, many tent pole films enter pre-production without a finished or signed off shooting script, it happens all the time. Look at Mi: Fallout for example. If a film has a set release date, that drives production. And screenplays evolve with a production as well, say, for example, they find a wonderful location, which they realise they can make greater use of, and so they will fashion the script accordingly. This also happens all the time.

If P&W are indeed scripting their treatment, and Hodge's script is now being 100% dropped, at is, as you suggest, a different matter, and then I suspect we will hear very soon that the production is being pushed back. The question will be, by how much.

It always surprises me how studios get in this situation. Is it that difficult to create a script?

Obviously, I'm ignorant as many studio productions and tent-pole films find themselves in this situation. I'd imagine they'd all like to avoid being in such a predicament, however, many end up in this dilemma.

In fact, Fallout had so many script problems. McQuarrie has openly spoken about how he was creating the script as he was going on. He wrote huge parts of the script on the move and major character events/deaths were decided either on the day or very close to filming. I'd recommend people listen to his lengthy and terrific Empire podcast:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/mission-impossible-fallout-spoiler-special-ft-christopher-mcquarrie-part-1/

The only things that were locked in were the action sequences. The actual plot, story and dialogue were written as they went along. It's probably why the dialogue is so tinny and the plot so convoluted. However, Fallout is still a pure adrenaline jolt of great cinema.

Fallout had one of the messiest productions but Mcquarrie made it work. Can't we just get McQuarrie?
    many tent pole films enter pre-production without a finished or signed off shooting script, it happens all the time.
    Yes, and many (if not most) tent pole films are mediocre at best. I don't care that it happens all the time, I expect more from the Bond franchise.
    And screenplays evolve with a production
    There is nothing wrong with rewrites after a film has offically entered pre-production as long as they start with a script that is more or less finished and they are happy with.

Doing late rewrites because you came up with an excellent idea = great!
    Doing late rewrites because you have to (because you don't have a finished script) = trouble. (Not always of course, but more often than not.)
    With the scripts being written by committee does anyone here know how much is down to P and W?

They write, they include somebody else’s idea, the producers inject their ideas and restrictions, they fit in sets or locations already dictated, someone else polishes their efforts. It seems impossible to know how much is down to them in the end.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, that’s why MI: turned out so poorly. There are no absolutes .
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/mission-impossible-fallout-script-christopher-mcquarrie/amp/
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Regarding P&W: I have nothing against them. As far as I know (!!) everything I hated in SP was not their idea but they just put it in the script since the director/producer wanted it to be. QoS was written in large parts by Craig and Forster and turned out way better than SP (my opinion). And they for the most part wrote the CR script. So ... I have nothing against it - quite the opposite.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 15,801
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Regarding P&W: I have nothing against them. As far as I know (!!) everything I hated in SP was not their idea but they just put it in the script since the director/producer wanted it to be. QoS was written in large parts by Craig and Forster and turned out way better than SP (my opinion). And they for the most part wrote the CR script. So ... I have nothing against it - quite the opposite.

Similar to how I feel about CR. Actually, I never cared for Paul Haggis' addition of having Vesper die in the sinking house. I don't loathe it, but I felt the ending would have had more impact had it simply followed the novel. Worked fine for OHMSS. I believe P&W's original draft was a bit closer to the novel actually. Forget where I read that, though.
    Maybe on this site somewhere?
    I seriously doubt P&W were completely responsible for the foster/brother idea in SP.

I'm glad they're coming back to work on the script.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm trying to stay hopeful that regardless of what the current state of affairs is with the script, it'll be great and completed soon. All this preproduction drama will result in a cracking and top teir entry.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I seriously doubt P&W were completely responsible for the foster/brother idea in SP.

I'm glad they're coming back to work on the script.

The brother angle was 100% Mendes idea. SF was about mothers, SP was about fathers.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Most of the media outlets seem to be suggesting that P&W are going back to their older discarded 'treatment' and working in elements of the Hodge script. So the implication is that it was put on ice after Boyle/Hodge came along, but is now being reworked, developed further and finessed into 'the script', which will then undergo polish by a director & his/her preferred scribe and/or a writer/director.

Not sure what to make of it, but that's what is doing the rounds along with speculation of a delay, which I hope is untrue.
    --

Even Boyle's own comments on the matter seem to suggest that the main issue lied with his /Hodge's script (the so called lack of freshness and the fact that his fandom is primarily based on the novels). If this is so, then what was this 'great golden idea' that we heard so much about at the start, inflating expectations further than initial promises of a 'high'? You know, the one that caused everyone to drop everything and bring Hodge on to begin with? The idea that, strangely, never leaked.

Could it be that there really wasn't such a great idea after all, but they had to leak it as such in order to justify why they were dropping P&W (after announcing them in July 2017) to go with Hodge? Could it be that the only reason P&W were dropped was because of Boyle's insistence that he would only take on the project if the script was 'original' (not meaning 'non-Fleming' as tweeted by JamesBond007 last week, but rather 'non-P&W' based) by his preferred scribe? Hopefully one day we will know for sure but these recent comments about Hodge's script being always based on P&W's original treatment appear revisionist and suspect to me, since we all know that they suddenly disappeared from all public announcements after Boyle came on board.

Irrespective of what the actual truth is I wish these people could do a better job on the PR/communications front. This is where a lot of the fault lies imho, leading to understandable frustrations among fans and further exacerbating the misreporting in the media. So ultimately the impression conveyed, rightly or wrongly, is one of confusion and chaos. Given the size of these films and the money they make globally these days, a tighter PR operation would be welcomed.
    ---
    talos7 wrote: »
    I am increasingly of the opinion (and that's all it is) that this film has had a lot to do with what's happening with B25. I think this is about more than just injecting more 'action' and a more fundamental script rethink is underway. One suspects (foolishly hopes?) we will see more of the glossy 'cinematic icon' onscreen for B25 and less of the angsty realistic 'grit' when it's all over and done with.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Perhaps it's time for Eon to sell up? There are risks when new people take over but I'm guessing a different studio will have its own writers eager to craft a Bond storyline. I'm guessing Purvis and Wade will be with Eon for many more years so the current style of writing will not change. Who knows, Bond 26 may be the end of one era and the start of a new one.

If P&W are indeed scripting their treatment, and Hodge's script is now being 100% dropped, at is, as you suggest, a different matter, and then I suspect we will hear very soon that the production is being pushed back. The question will be, by how much.

It always surprises me how studios get in this situation. Is it that difficult to create a script?

Obviously, I'm ignorant as many studio productions and tent-pole films find themselves in this situation. I'd imagine they'd all like to avoid being in such a predicament, however, many end up in this dilemma.

In fact, Fallout had so many script problems. McQuarrie has openly spoken about how he was creating the script as he was going on. He wrote huge parts of the script on the move and major character events/deaths were decided either on the day or very close to filming. I'd recommend people listen to his lengthy and terrific Empire podcast:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/mission-impossible-fallout-spoiler-special-ft-christopher-mcquarrie-part-1/

The only things that were locked in were the action sequences. The actual plot, story and dialogue were written as they went along. It's probably why the dialogue is so tinny and the plot so convoluted. However, Fallout is still a pure adrenaline jolt of great cinema.

Fallout had one of the messiest productions but Mcquarrie made it work. Fuck it, can't we just get McQuarrie?
    Post of the month
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Selling is not the answer here. Not yet, at least.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time for Eon to sell up? There are risks when new people take over but I'm guessing a different studio will have its own writers eager to craft a Bond storyline. I'm guessing Purvis and Wade will be with Eon for many more years so the current style of writing will not change. Who knows, Bond 26 may be the end of one era and the start of a new one.

Or Bond 25, for that matter.

I was thinking, and if we compare the timeline to the 2002 - 2006 haitus, wouldn't we already be at a place where Brosnan had been sacked by now? It seems like we're in limbo at the moment, and as much as we hear about stuff happening "behind the scenes" there's never much evidence of it. Having a shortlist of directors doesn't convey how close a deal is to being made, and hiring writers is hardily evidence of much. Writers are hired for projects all the time, doesn't mean it goes anywhere. Didn't they have a script about AI close to complete for Dalton's third Bond film?
    There's no way B25 will star a new actor.

I'm pretty sure one of the key points of their deal with Universal is to have Craig in the role. His last two outings were the highest grossing Bond films in the history of the franchise. He's regarded as the best Bond since Connery and he guarantees a certain amount of success. He's even a producer and we know how his decisions are capital during the whole creative process. In comparison with Craig, the other actors looked like puppets in the hand of the Broccoli.

For now, for what we know, a Craigexit is off the table. Since the release date is still October 2019, speculating about this stuff is just nonsense.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    In comparison with Craig, the other actors looked like puppets in the hand of the Broccoli.

It's just...where do I even begin?