No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• But, don’t turn this into identity politics.

24 films without a female director is what turns this into identity politics.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

But, don’t turn this into identity politics.

I fail to see logic in that statement.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    And I want to see Bond smoke again on screen. Even though I'm a non smoker!

album_1448655394.jpg

UK

Like it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The all powerful producer is a woman. Perhaps she hires men to balance it out. ;)

Surely hiring a woman or a black man (or woman) could give the film buzz. However, I'm in the camp that says get the best 'person' for the job irrespective. I feel that the most important consideration now should be to find someone who can work with the scripts they have without too much tinkering, and who can also work within a rather compressed timeline to deliver a decent enough effort by October/November 2019.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think Eon are smarter than that. Hiring someone because of his “identity” for the sake of creating buzz yet the film ending up to prove badly composed because the hired director couldn’t deliver nor was qualified for it would only hurt the franchise. Eon are a lot smarter than that.

Always hire the best person for the job and find other ways to promote your product rather than relying on identity politics forced down people’s throats.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Univex wrote: »
    Why can Logan (Wolverine) smoke his cigar and Bond can't? Talk about castrating a character ;)

Because at times EoN are pussies.

album_1448655394.jpg

UK

Like it.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RC7 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I actually love it that Craig is always being criticised only to prove everyone wrong constantly. It's his thing by now. The more you bitch about him, the greater he is. So please be free to extend him all of your hate (to the members with vitriol towards the gentleman), he'll only prove himself to be awesome. That's the Craig I know.

And @Peter, you're right, on all accounts. Cheers mate.

A fair point. The childish cries of ‘I wish he’d just be Bond!’ are amusing. He was, is and continues to be, Bond. Get over yourselves.

EDIT: The funniest thing I’ve noticed recently are those lauding SP as the perfect swan song, having consistently ridiculed it. It really is like being in my daughter’s nursery. We can see you!

Depends on what you mean by perfect.

It is not a perfect movie by any means, but it fits as a swan song because it ties up all the loose ends from previous movies, the title sequence includes scenes from CR, QoS and SF and Bond (supposedly) quits the service; it's also the only Craig film with a happy ending and the one he gets the girl at the end of the movie. So yeah, I despise SPECTRE for all his flaws, but it feels like an ending to Craig saga.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

album_1448655394.jpg

That’s amazing
    After three years (that were soon to become four) this delay is annoying.

I directed non profit tribute films (Shamelady, Shatterhand and Shademaker).
    My movies didn't cost a penny other than food and gas and each actor's personal wardrobe. 90% of the time I didn't have a camera or sound crew.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/1789/james-bond-fan-films/p2

So if they don't have a director, I'm free and I'm cheap! ;-)
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 824
    Walecs wrote: »
    [
    . So yeah, I despise SPECTRE for all his flaws, but it feels like an ending to Craig saga.

I suspect Craig is under contract for Bond 25. Universal signed on with him announced as Bond. Craig stays. regardless of the haters among the Bond fan base. If a new Bond has to be found then the movie moves back to 2020 at the earliest.

Craig has been an excellent Bond......second only to Connery.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

But, don’t turn this into identity politics.

Not my quote, just so everyone knows.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Rumour: Production Weekly (which I understand gets its info directly from studios) is listing Bond 25's working title as 'Shatterhand'

https://www.productionweekly.com/

DGpPuy2XgAAv3Ve.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Interesting, and this is a legitimate source.

It was listed as Shatterhand back on July 18. So is this the P&W script? Could it possibly be the Hodge script? And just how long has Boyle been exiting the project?
    Bond 25 = Shatterhand confirmed?!? Guess we will know in due time from EON. Personally, I bet the title will change.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I'm betting that purvis and wade will come in and not only polish hodge's script but add elements from their draft shatterhand seems to make sense also with boyle's exit I guess christoph waltz can likely return as blofeld?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,242
    It’s definitely fun material to start new speculation. Maybe Boyle/Hodge were on their way out a lot longer ago than we all knew? Or maybe both the Hodge and P&W scripts were titled as “Shatterhand.”
  • RC7RC7
    A retrospective collation of forum discussions, with factual annotations would make for a genuinely fascinating Bond book.
    Well, given that Top Gun 2's working title is Island Plaza, one can't be too excited about an early title revelation.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'm betting that purvis and wade will come in and not only polish hodge's script but add elements from their draft shatterhand seems to make sense also with boyle's exit I guess christoph waltz can likely return as blofeld?

Fingers crossed. How reliable is Production Weekly?

FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ll never understand all the Craig hate. His run hasn’t been perfect, but he’s brought so much to the table as James Bond. Personally, I think his first 3 Bond films are awesome, with SP being the only real disappointment. I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic that his last one can be another great one.

Again with this "Craig hate". I don't actually think anyone hates Craig, he was very good in CR, I just don't see him as this "special" Bond which none of the others live up to. To me he's just another like the rest. According to some, that's having an agenda. I admit Craig is not my cup of tea, but I would have no problems if he just got through his run of films in a timely manner, left his mark, and then gave way to the next guy. What I don't agree with, however is the idea that Craig is "special" and the best Bond actor since Connery. I see no evidence of this, personally, but that doesn't mean I hate the guy either. I just respect the other actors and appreciate what they brought to role, so Craig to me isn't "raising the bar". I object to the idea that Craig outshines the guys who came before him, and point out his flaws and what doesn't work for me, in order to ward off that kind of talk. There was two respects in which I have a real greivance with now though, the first is how much creative input they have handed to their lead actor. That is simply a bad move, no matter who is playing Bond. The second is how long they have taken on this era, and how they are taking so much time to close it out. Before Craig, they would release a Bond film, and after that either the actor would quit, or the producers would relieve them, there was be a brief period of mourning, and then we would move on. This time, it feels like they want this climatic finality, because they know it will be Craig's last, and they are spending to much time on getting a proper sendoff for this particular Bond. This is aggravating, because once again it treats Craig's Bond like is "special" compared with the others. Brosnan had to accept that DAD was his Waterloo, whether he wanted it or not, Bond was bigger than him and there was nothing he could do about it. It feels like we spending forever catering to Craig, when the role is way bigger than him, so why are we spending so much time trying to get this right? I just see it as treating Craig as precious, as if the role doesn't mean much without him, and the other guys didn't do enough to match him.

I think many do share your setiments. The Craig era has indeed been exhuasting.
    No there is nothing special about Craig. He is a good Bond actor. I like that he brought back Bond's lethal physicality. We hadn't seen such a formidable fighting Bond since the Connery-Lazenby glory days.
    But Rog Dalts and Broz all brought good things too. I lump Craig in with these three, as all worthy Bonds. My ranking can be very fluid here.

As for Bond dying this is just one unsourced tabloid report.
    It's quite possible they got it backwards. I think it's more likely that Boyle floated the radical idea to kill Bond, assuming anyone did, rather than Eon.
    Babs said no, and suddenly we have impasse.

It seems very strange though, that the two sides would have an agreed upon story and script, and then suddenly this notion of Bond being killed comes out of nowhere.
    Of course such a radical idea is going to upset the whole applecart.
    It seems to me that the outlier director might be the more likely culprit, that is again, if the Bond dying story is actually true.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Sometimes they create fake titles (Blue Harvest).

Shatterhand could be pointing toward something...or it could be nothing.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Production Weekly is very very reliable.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,548
    Good news or bad news (take your pick): At this time, four years ago, the script for Bond 24 was also very much in flux, though a director was indeed on board. The film made its release date. I hope this script for B25 is in somewhat better shape.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,622
    echo wrote: »
    Sometimes they create fake titles (Blue Harvest).

Shatterhand could be pointing toward something...or it could be nothing.

I think Shatterhand was the original working title until Boyle came along with his new whiz-bang idea.
    Maybe Eon is going back to Plan A now.

I was sure they were originally moving in a Shatterhand direction as follow-up to SP.
    The story sure seemed to be hinting in that direction , especially with SP being somewhat of a riff on the OHMSS story not to mention the very obvious nod to the old YOLT-movie, Spectre volcano lair

The SP vibe and imagery seemed to be hinting, sceaming even, further amalgamation of both the OHMSS &YOLT stories, book and film, setting up a first opportunity to work with Fleming's unused Shatterhand material.
    I wonder if Jake will update the news thread... I could live with Bond 25 being Shatterhand but it’s not my first choice
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I’m done being picky about things like title, director, song artists, etc. This recent shake up has me realizing just how quickly things can go up in the air regarding a movie. As long as we get one more Craig-Bond film, I’m not complaining about anything else. They want to call it Shatterhand? So be it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,967
    So they have returned to the P+W script after all?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I wonder if Jake will update the news thread... I could live with Bond 25 being Shatterhand but it’s not my first choice
    Dude, I'm not a machine. I'll get to it soon enough.