The movie poster thread

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,241
    I have seen that Dirty Harry poster before or something similar, I do like minimalist takes on movie images. The T2 posters I would not mind a print of that or the Escape front New York one from the video.

I have many movie images and posters framed so my wall space is limited lol

Minimalistic film posters can indeed be very good. Several Hitchcock film posters comes to mind - especially the famous one for Vertigo:

s-l300.jpg
    Have you posted any movie images/posters from your collection here one the forum? :-)

Vertigo is a great poster I have the CD with that image on, also bought the Hitchcock bluray box set which has a great splash page of the film...
    50ebc3b7f02fd5e4d92e614a2ced309a.jpg slightly odscured this online image I found.

This set? Been thinking about buying some Hitchcock films on Blu-ray. Might go for a box set if I do.
    ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg
    I posted a few steel plaques on the Superman thread I think it was that thread, when back home I'll post some photos.
    Great! Looking forward to seeing your collection :-)

That's the set I have it's great the price has dropped considerably since it was released, highly recommend Hitch made some of his best films with Universal.
    Interesting! I might need to get that set eventually.
    Edited: I have a few more Hitch on Bluray though need to buy many more of his films in this format.

gplus8200293139932247863.jpg

I also have Lifeboat and Young and Innocent.

Great collection, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! I see more than a few films there that I've yet to watch.

The art work for many of Hitchcock films is very good, alas I only have one smaller image of one of his films in a frame. One of my favourite films...

gplus6913675036565820379.jpg

I like classic black and white movie posters, I have a classic image from Citizen Kane also.

P. S. Hitch films in my above photo are only The Lady Vanishes to North by Northwest.

That's a great poster! I have a soft spot for black and white artwork too. I often find movie stills to look really good in b/w – even if the film itself is in colour. Here's an example with Sean in GF:
    sean-connery-007-james-bond-goldfinger-1964-goldfinger-directed-by-guy-hamilton_a-G-14619948-10662057.jpg
    Not a poster, though - but a nice art print!
    How about this one? I think it s terrific.
    Nosferatuposter.jpg

I've seen a couple Nosferatu posters, but never this one. Have never had the opportunity to watch the film either, for that matter. Should probably try to find a copy of it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The film is a masterpiece, please do.

Have you seen the Herzog one from 1979? A bit interested in watching that one too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have seen that Dirty Harry poster before or something similar, I do like minimalist takes on movie images. The T2 posters I would not mind a print of that or the Escape front New York one from the video.

Minimalistic film posters can indeed be very good. Several Hitchcock film posters comes to mind - especially the famous one for Vertigo:

s-l300.jpg
    Have you posted any movie images/posters from your collection here one the forum? :-)

Vertigo is a great poster I have the CD with that image on, also bought the Hitchcock bluray box set which has a great splash page of the film...
    50ebc3b7f02fd5e4d92e614a2ced309a.jpg slightly odscured this online image I found.

This set? Been thinking about buying some Hitchcock films on Blu-ray. Might go for a box set if I do.
    ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg
    I posted a few steel plaques on the Superman thread I think it was that thread, when back home I'll post some photos.

That's the set I have it's great the price has dropped considerably since it was released, highly recommend Hitch made some of his best films with Universal.
    Edited: I have a few more Hitch on Bluray though need to buy many more of his films in this format.

Great collection, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! I see more than a few films there that I've yet to watch.

The art work for many of Hitchcock films is very good, alas I only have one smaller image of one of his films in a frame. One of my favourite films...

I like classic black and white movie posters, I have a classic image from Citizen Kane also.

P. S. Hitch films in my above photo are only The Lady Vanishes to North by Northwest.

That's a great poster! I have a soft spot for black and white artwork too. I often find movie stills to look really good in b/w – even if the film itself is in colour. Here's an example with Sean in GF:
    sean-connery-007-james-bond-goldfinger-1964-goldfinger-directed-by-guy-hamilton_a-G-14619948-10662057.jpg
    Nosferatuposter.jpg

I've seen a couple Nosferatu posters, but never this one. Have never had the opportunity to watch the film either, for that matter. Should probably try to find a copy of it.

The wide shot of the GF image of Sir Sean often appears on my desktop, probably one of the most iconic Bond images I love that photograph.

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

The wide shot of the GF image of Sir Sean often appears on my desktop, probably one of the most iconic Bond images I love that photograph.

Why wouldn't you! So many great scenes and shots in that film. One could decorate a few walls with images from that film alone. :-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

Why wouldn't you! So many great scenes and shots in that film. One could decorate a few walls with images from that film alone. :-)

Some great moments though it's not a Bond film I rate, it's full of iconic moments though the film itself I struggle with. FRWL and TB are in my top four Bond films.

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

Some great moments though it's not a Bond film I rate, it's full of iconic moments though the film itself I struggle with. FRWL and TB are in my top four Bond films.

Definitely agree with this. That middle part is what I struggle with. A little more stuff going on there, and I would no doubt rank it higher.

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

Definitely agree with this. That middle part is what I struggle with. A little more stuff going on there, and I would no doubt rank it higher.

Sir Sean is on top form the Kentucky scenes totally underwritten. Sean my favorite Bond by some distance despite GF deficiency lol

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

Sir Sean is on top form the Kentucky scenes totally underwritten. Sean my favorite Bond by some distance despite GF deficiency lol

He really is on top form. GF/TB is "peak Connery" as far as Bond go. I really like Roger too, and I usually rank them both 1st.

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

He really is on top form. GF/TB is "peak Connery" as far as Bond go. I really like Roger too, and I usually rank them both 1st.

They are the two Bond's I grew up with, more so Roger, though those films were just better they had more subtle depth.

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

They are the two Bond's I grew up with, more so Roger, though those films were just better they had more subtle depth.

Not the worst ones to grow up watching! Pierce here (and Craig if you count CR). Pierce was really the Bond for the 90's/00's video game era. When you didn't watch him in the films, you had his likeness in a number of video games. Some of those games were very enjoyable too – especially GE!

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

Not the worst ones to grow up watching! Pierce here (and Craig if you count CR). Pierce was really the Bond for the 90's/00's video game era. When you didn't watch him in the films, you had his likeness in a number of video games. Some of those games were very enjoyable too – especially GE!

The actor reflects the era PB was total 90's, I played GE on N64 to death. Unfortunately DC ruined his own era, I liked his first two films.

s-l300.jpg

ZZ2B85ECA5.jpg

Nosferatuposter.jpg

The actor reflects the era PB was total 90's, I played GE on N64 to death. Unfortunately DC ruined his own era, I liked his first two films.

I still have my N64, and sometimes play a few hours of GE. Great fun. The Craig era has unfortunately become a mess of sorts. The recent news one thing of course, but also the gaps between each film, etc.

Hopefully the posters for Bond 25 will be good! The SP ones weren't my cup of tea.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,102
    Agree SP posters were terrible, i think Bond will be sold off in the next three to five years, Eon have lost interest.

Watching TSWLM Lotus chase its effortless and just purrs.
    Agree SP posters were terrible, i think Bond will be sold off in the next three to five years, Eon have lost interest.

Watching TSWLM Lotus chase its effortless and just purrs.

I never thought I would ever write it, but I wouldn't be to bothered if they did sell out. Regarding the posters, the company that makes them has made better posters for other films, so they can if they want - and more importantly - have enough time to do it.

Love the Lotus chase in TSWLM. 70's Bond at it's very best!

Have you seen the Herzog one from 1979? A bit interested in watching that one too.

Yes, Klaus Kinski plays a very bizarre version. Worth a watch, but nowhere near the Murnau film.

Yes, Klaus Kinski plays a very bizarre version. Worth a watch, but nowhere near the Murnau film.

Noted! I'll make sure to watch both films :-)
    I love this.
    The-Invisible-Man.jpg
    Francesco Francavilla makes great artwork, doesn't he! Here's one I hadn't seen before (until tonight):

young_frankenstein_low.JPG?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000
    Francavilla has done a few for Bond as well, like Dr No and this one.
    7316d2f84073cbdc3113c926bc5a1eea.jpg
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Francavilla has done a few for Bond as well, like Dr No and this one.
    7316d2f84073cbdc3113c926bc5a1eea.jpg

Haven't seen that one before. Looks great!

Great read, @PropertyOfALady! Seen a couple of these before. As far as I remember the film (watched it once years ago), I think they went with the right poster idea in the end.
    I found this online. Nice homage to 50s sci fi.
    prometheusretro642012.jpeg
    That's a great poster! Really enjoy the details, such as the Cinemascope logo. Is it me, or does the character on the right look a bit like Charles Gray?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_xbqLPDXvUhfjsyDXk3J74AhiTqAtsU3Gt7Ky2s2OYjX2l_jX-Q
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,102
    bff17904743ca08040663e9288f936c5--good-character-anton.jpg

@Torgeirtrap that's been bugging me all day, though finally got his name I think it's Anton Differing in the poster, he often played Nazi's in films.

@Torgeirtrap that's been bugging me all day, though finally got his name I think it's Anton Differing in the poster, he often played Nazi's in films.

I think you're right about this! Really looks like him.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,102

I think you're right about this! Really looks like him.

Just found these posters...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVy0a20MlFjdkHe7si7a0TkgKHawhpKEYXnStWIVSq54icsYw

MV5BNWYyZWEwMWYtMjRlNS00ZDE1LWJhM2QtMjlmN2E2ODVkODAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Interesting. The poster @Thunderfinger posted is probably a collage of stuff from various film posters. Some nice Photoshopping going on there.
    Interesting. The poster @Thunderfinger posted is probably a collage of stuff from various film posters. Some nice Photoshopping going on there.

That middle space ship is familiar for sure from another movie.

Thematically using Diffring image from The Man who could cheat death works as Weyland in Prometheus seeks immortality.