No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

That's what I'm thinking. It's a golden opportunity. If the director fails its a shared failure because of the production and Boyle's exit. If he wins. I mean, if the director succeeds in turning all of this around, he'll be a bona fide hero.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Also, one can only imagine the kind of camaraderie Forster and Craig built writing side by side against the clock on that set.

That's my thinking. The pair would hit the ground running.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

The Piss Filter was really annoying. I just can't understand why they would want that.

What you derogatorily refer to as "piss filter" is just part of Hoyte van Hoytema's usual aesthetic. You can see it in his other films like INTERSTELLAR which came a year earlier. He always employed a more otherworldly look to his films. Admittedly it's unusual for Bond films, as they typically in the past went with real world colors, so it's no surprise the more conservative Bond fans don't like seeing that kind of experimentation done (like those who hate the "the dead are alive" title after the gun barrel, instead of the usual iris opening up).

If I have one reservation, I do wish the gun barrel didn't use that color pallet. Otherwise, the film looks perfectly fine to me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009

The Piss Filter was really annoying. I just can't understand why they would want that.

What you derogatorily refer to as "piss filter" is just part of Hoyte van Hoytema's usual aesthetic. You can see it in his other films like INTERSTELLAR which came a year earlier. He always employed a more otherworldly look to his films. Admittedly it's unusual for Bond films, as they typically in the past went with real world colors, so it's no surprise the more conservative Bond fans don't like seeing that kind of experimentation done (like those who hate the "the dead are alive" title after the gun barrel, instead of the usual iris opening up).

If I have one reservation, I do wish the gun barrel didn't use that color pallet. Otherwise, the film looks perfectly fine to me.

Derogatory would be calling him a hack - it's some people's favourite word around here.

It worked well at times (Rome, the London stuff) and took away from the visuals at other times (pretty much the entire Austria sequence).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The filter in Spectre was nothing. On that short lived Training Day tv series with the late Bill Paxton, there was a yellow filter set to 100.
    Then I wish we had more "hacks" in cinema like Van Hoytema.

Of his work, I like TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY the best.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009

+1.
    That film is a stunning piece of work - not even because of the colours but because VH shot a lot of it on long lenses and it worked so damn well.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    All the weaker Bond films are still pleasant to look at. Thanks to the yellow filter, SP doesn't even get THAT right.
    We should refer do Boyle's decision to exit B25 as...........BEXIT

...I'll show myself out
  • RC7RC7
    Christ. Sort yourselves out.
    Of course anything can happen now, but another factor that may prevent the production from delay could be the many licensing and promotional agreements that have already started kicking in, judging from the shooting in Spain earlier in the Summer and the Omega photo that one would expect wouldn't have come out the same day with the Boyle announcement if the film wasn't still on course. Just hoping.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Remington wrote: »
    All the weaker Bond films are still pleasant to look at. Thanks to the yellow filter, SP doesn't even get THAT right.

The filter that always bugged me the most was lime filter on The Matrix. The DVD looked like puke in all the 'hooked-in' scenes. Thankfully, the Blu Ray makes it all right again, as in my theatrical viewing. Filters always look worse on DVD's.

The weakest movies (for me) like TMWTGG, TND, and TWINE may have more natural colors, but that doesn't take away how utterly dull they looked. DAD looks pretty amazing during the Cuba scenes, but everything else has this "plastic" look that its DP seemed to use in the Star Wars prequels.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,966
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Role on Bond 26
    Getafix wrote: »
    Forster seems a natural fit in this context. Seems to have maintained good relations with Babs and Craig through a stressful production with last minute script issues. Sign him up!
    I agree. Forster was my first thought of a reasonable scramble option to meet the release date. At one point the rumor mill churned toward a heftier script redressing and a writer-director replacement, but then we got the supposed final four list. And none of MacKenzie, Demange, or Jean-Marc Vallée quite fits the writer-director rumor, at least not as much as Edgar Wright and not more so than Forster would.

To me, he (Forster) fits the scramble mode even more if we consider he's got the experience of (a) doing a Bond film and (b) doing another blockbuster outside of Bond. This might be a more important consideration at this point than typically thought, provided Boyle in fact left the production because of the scale of the production, I don't know.

I understand if they want someone with more name cache like Boyle had. The "decorated actor's director" that Forster represented back in '08 has since morphed into more of the pop auteur mentality that's so often comes in handy now as PR. Even if Eon had no problem with bringing Forster back into the fold, I could see where moneyed interests might rather push for an Edgar Wright type.

In apparently jumping from Demange to Boyle, it seemed that's exactly what Eon wanted. Now they might be headed back the other way, and if that's the case, at this late stage, I'd say get Forster over those four. I'm open to any of them, but Wright is the one I'm least excited by.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'd like Forster to return. I thought he did an excellent job all things considered. The man applied style and panache and gave us one of the best car chases in the series.

2 things though, abandon all that quick cut/Whaley can crap AND give the guy a complete working script and we're all good.
    Yes. I love QOS, but its style should be left to that film in particular. I like Forster because I like what he did down in the roots of the film, and I would look forward to that again.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I’ve always been of the mind that I’ll see what happens. I have preferences, but I don’t pine for very specific outcomes mainly because it’s out of my control.
    Yes, this. I have certain things I believe I would like (and I enjoy share or speculating about), but ultimately I'm open to experiencing whatever they want to try. Unless the whatever lost them my trust. But no matter how much I might dislike certain decisions they have made, nothing has been so offensive to me as that, yet.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Univex wrote: »
    JBR - "can you turn it around in three months?"
    Yes you can. I wrote my last novel in less. And that one was considered heavy literature. How hard is it to write an intelligent and well written script?

Well said. Fleming wrote his novels in two weeks.
    chrisisall wrote: »

The filter that always bugged me the most was lime filter on The Matrix. The DVD looked like puke in all the 'hooked-in' scenes. Thankfully, the Blu Ray makes it all right again, as in my theatrical viewing. Filters always look worse on DVD's.
    Exactly! . I was just thinking The Matrix's greenish hue throughout seemed to have started a trend in stylized color timing for contemporary films. So many movies have a bluish hue these days.
    I'd love to see a Bond film return to the vivid colors of Ted Moore. The Connery films as seen on the big screen look amazing.
  • RC7RC7
    Walecs wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    JBR - "can you turn it around in three months?"
    Yes you can. I wrote my last novel in less. And that one was considered heavy literature. How hard is it to write an intelligent and well written script?

Well said. Fleming wrote his novels in two weeks.

Ha ha.
    chrisisall wrote: »

On the contrary, the original 1999 DVD does look closer to the theatrical viewing. The hooked in scenes have that sickly artificial filter because the scenes are supposed to LOOK artificial. Changing the color timing was actually done in 2004 for the box set so that the original film would look more similar to its sequels, which strikes wrong for me. It also screams too much of that George Lucas kind of tinkering, who changed the color timing of the original STAR WARS trilogy to match with the more highly saturated prequels. This is why I never bought THE MATRIX or the STAR WARS trilogy on blu-ray. Give me the original theatrical look any day.

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-matrix-visual-comparison.html
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I have to admit, that I never heard the name of Yann Demange, before he was first mentioned as a possible candidate to direct Bond 25 last year. Same with Valle. I heard Mackenzie's name, but missed HELL AND HIGH WATER (which I wanted to watch, but our local cinema only showed it for one week, and I couldn't make it then). As for Edgar Wright, I liked SHAUN OF THE DEAD and HOT FUZZ, but BABY DRIVER left me underwhelmed, it was an okay movie IMO, but nothing I would watch for a second time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,043

+1.
    That film is a stunning piece of work - not even because of the colours but because VH shot a lot of it on long lenses and it worked so damn well.

That film is a masterpiece and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as SPECTRE.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Was the crew meeting held, and were there any leaks?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    There is a new breed of Bond fans
    Shardlake wrote: »

+1.

That film is a masterpiece and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as SPECTRE.

Indeed. Really quite astonishing considering how dense the novel is. Anyway, I'd be delighted if Hoyte shot another Bond. I've always wanted Robert Richardson to lense a Bond film, too. That guy's a living legend.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    We should refer do Boyle's decision to exit B25 as...........BEXIT

...I'll show myself out

And after B25 we will have a Craxit.

You mention "otherworldly". That's part of the issue I have with this filter. It looks completely unnatural (just look at the PTS), and doesn't add anything that justify why it should be used. It's unpleasant to look at, IMO.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,665

You mention "otherworldly". That's part of the issue I have with this filter. It looks completely unnatural (just look at the PTS), and doesn't add anything that justify why it should be used. It's unpleasant to look at, IMO.

Not to mention it washed away all the beautiful and vibrant colours in the day of the dead sequence. And made the snow in Austria look like a banana granizado.

Don't get me wrong. I loved VH's work in TTSS and Interstellar. I even met the man once, and he is very nice and knowledgeable. I just didn't appreciate his colouring on SP. But just that aspect of the cinematography, which is obviously more complex than just that.
  • RC7RC7

Mendes wanted a ghostly aesthetic (hence Spectre), which in that context does actually work. I was particularly peeved it was at the expense of the vibrancy of Mexico, but I understand it. The desired effect does translate, but I can completely understand why people dislike it.

I can see the justification simply being setting the mood, especially with that title card that succeeded the gun barrel. I'm not sure just going with natural colors would fit in with the vibe the film is going for. Of course, anyone that doesn't go with the vibe won't appreciate the style it's going for. Hence crass remarks like "piss filter".