No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Nothing is supposed to go smoothly when Barbara Broccoli is producing. Give Chris Nolan total control, and he will write, produce AND direct one of the most entertaining, original and clever Bond movies ever made, and he will only need 2 years to do it.

Blaming Babs for all their troubles seems rather inappropriate. She's hardly responsible for MGM being in and out of bankruptcy proceedings. Your posts come across as ravings of a too-obsessed fan who possibly needs to take a step back.

Mission Impossible and Bond as movie franchises have co-existed for over twenty years, and yet no one was comparing them as much before Fallout was released. It's becoming blatantly obvious to all but the most diehard EON loyalists that MI has taken Bonds limelight. Presumably Babs and Co now realise this too, on some level.

Exactly. Several reviews said "Move over, Bond" or made similar statements to that effect. M:I is on the ascent, and Bond simply isn't. Blame doesn't lie with any one person, but it's clear things need to change, and I suspect Boyle was going to take this film in exactly the wrong direction. As would Christopher Nolan.

Bond needs directors who make Bond films. Not directors who make films of their own starring James Bond. Boyle, Nolan, they'd all do the latter.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »
    Come on, it's obvious that the real and main reason behind this mess is that Boyle was against any kind of studio interference. He wanted to stay 100% true to his principles, like he said in one interview re-posted pages ago, but EoN in the end didn't accept that.
    What on Earth did Barbara Broccoli expect when they hired Boyle?

I really don't know... Ask this question to Kathleen Kennedy when she hired Lord & Miller and Colin Trevorrow...

Maybe they were super fascinated by the idea of a Bond movie with Boyle's visual style and they liked his idea... but in the end he went too far. If I recall correctly Danny Boyle is also a friend of Daniel Craig. We all know Babs is desperately in love with Daniel... XD
    A better question is do
    matt_u wrote: »
    Come on, it's obvious that the real and main reason behind this mess is that Boyle was against any kind of studio interference. He wanted to stay 100% true to his principles, like he said in one interview re-posted pages ago, but EoN in the end didn't accept that.
    What on Earth did Barbara Broccoli expect when they hired Boyle?

A better question is do you understand movies at all ?
    429 days until the premier and we have no idea who the director of the movie is, no idea of the cast, or even which script they will use. I thought spending 4 years was supposed to make things go smoothly?
    Nothing is supposed to go smoothly when Barbara Broccoli is producing. Give Chris Nolan total control, and he will write, produce AND direct one of the most entertaining, original and clever Bond movies ever made, and he will only need 2 years to do it.

You can't know that, can you? It could be Mendes 2.0 for all we know.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    I suspect that if one were to do a random poll, they would find that people are much more excited about seeing a Bond 25 with a new Bond actor than they would a Bond 25 starring the guy who has been around for twelve years.

... which I think is the point of that Hollywood Reporter article.
    429 days until the premier and we have no idea who the director of the movie is, no idea of the cast, or even which script they will use. I thought spending 4 years was supposed to make things go smoothly?

You can't know that, can you? It could be Mendes 2.0 for all we know.

That's what I feared about Boyle: Mendes 2.0. Or rather a Mendes with all his flaws and none of his qualities. Older but no wiser.
  • Mendes is the way forward, if he's available. Get's on with Craig and Babs, ...........has made two successful Bond films. Can contribute ideas rather than just deliver somebody else's script. If it means putting Bond 25 back a year then so be it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd rather have Michael Apted back over Mendes.
    Well, I've just read the news - shame. At this point I'm not really sure what all the parties involved are playing at:

-If Boyle walked because he was being difficult about trivial issues, then good riddance
    -If the producers pushed him out over same, I'm inclined to be less generous.
    -If Craig pushed him out, I'd agree that perhaps he's been given too much control.

Obviously the first job here is to deliver a great film. But my feeling is that with all the time off, the delays, and the uncertainty, a steady hand on the tiller is desperately needed. Ditching the director at this point does little for my confidence, though I'm certainly happy to be proved wrong later.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I suspect that if one were to do a random poll, they would find that people are much more excited about seeing a Bond 25 with a new Bond actor than they would a Bond 25 starring the guy who has been around for twelve years.

... which I think is the point of that Hollywood Reporter article.

And I suspect the exact opposite. People love Craig as Bond.
  • Murdock wrote: »

omg..........compare TWINE with Skyfall............Apted's film doesn't even come close.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    One thing is pretty much guaranteed: even if they can find a director in the coming weeks and avoid a delay, they won't hold any press conference this year.
  • One thing is pretty much guaranteed: even if they can find a director in the coming weeks and avoid a delay, they won't hold any press conference this year.

Sadly, I think you're right.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Other than that -- no, I have no doubts.

Obviously we have different appraisals. Lol.

Isn’t he Australian?
    We know how that went last time...
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

No but in the same way a black shouldn’t play bond, I don’t think an American/ Australian should either.

Australia is in the commonwealth.

So is Bangladesh.
    Doesn’t mean that the country should qualify for bond actors

Britain is filled with suave British Asians. An Asian bond is more realistic than a black bond.
    Charlize Theron is an African American. Country of origin doesn’t always dictate appearance.

A m e r I c a n
    ???????
    Murdock wrote: »

omg..........compare TWINE with Skyfall............Apted's film doesn't even come close.

Hmm. Well I like TWINE Better. Everyone in the film is more competent and makes better decisions. And it is fun. I like Skyfall but I much prefer TWINE.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Hmm. Well I like TWINE Better. Everyone in the film is more competent and makes better decisions. And it is fun. I like Skyfall but I much prefer TWINE.

Seconded. SF is objectively better but I have a better time with TWINE. Sophie Marceau, more Bond elements, and Arnold's score doesn't hurt.
    Remington wrote: »

Seconded. SF is objectively better but I have a better time with TWINE. Sophie Marceau, more Bond elements, and Arnold's score doesn't hurt.

Exactly. :-bd
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    One thing is pretty much guaranteed: even if they can find a director in the coming weeks and avoid a delay, they won't hold any press conference this year.

And what makes you say that? @PanchitoPistoles
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,533
    At this point, they might as well recast and go for 2020. However, I doubt Craig will leave since we all know how Babs feels about him lol. Then again, I've been wrong before.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,966
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Other than that -- no, I have no doubts.

Obviously we have different appraisals. Lol.

Isn’t he Australian?
    We know how that went last time...
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

No but in the same way a black shouldn’t play bond, I don’t think an American/ Australian should either.

Australia is in the commonwealth.

So is Bangladesh.
    Doesn’t mean that the country should qualify for bond actors

Britain is filled with suave British Asians. An Asian bond is more realistic than a black bond.
    Charlize Theron is an African American. Country of origin doesn’t always dictate appearance.

A m e r I c a n
    ???????
    Yes

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

+1
    TWINE and TND both have the benefit of being twenty years old and yet still have plots that would work today. Same can’t be said for every Bond film.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    I give TWINE a slight edge over SF because Sophie Marceau is excellent and so much better than what's happening around her (script, direction, the other performances).

Honestly, though, I haven't been able to sit through either movie since I saw them in the cinema.

MooreFun wrote: »
    TWINE and TND both have the benefit of being twenty years old and yet still have plots that would work today. Same can’t be said for every Bond film.

TLD comes to mind.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 386
    Why do the producers feel the need to plumb some kind of novel thematic quirk or previously unexplored corner of Bond’s mind with each new movie?

MI Fallout’s basic plot was as simple as it gets. Find nukes. Stop them going off. Just like Octopussy and several Bonds from yesteryear. Tried and true.

What MI did was trump the CR toilet scene with breathtaking brutality. It dumped a mind-boggling action sequence into the middle of Paris that simply doesn’t let up whether on four wheels, two, or on foot.

Meanwhile, things just went from bad to worse at Camp Broccoli.

Boyle was the wrong choice from the start. B25 needs an engaging espionage mission with top notch action scenes. The idea that Boyle was scared off by the scale doesn’t wash. He signed on for Bond, not Harry Palmer.

The irony is that Boyle and Craig probably wanted the same thing. To explore Bonds tortured mind further.

But it isn’t hard to see a scenario where Daniel Craig was progressively threatened by Boyle’s ideas. A younger, arguably better looking, physically imposing villain might have been more problematic than people think.

So Boyle was wrong from the start and in Daniel Craig we have a painfully sensitive, cantankerous actor-producer with little left in the tank. He’s collected so many barnacles over the journey that it’s little wonder a probing, challenging director was cut.

All up, it’s obvious Bond needs to extract himself from the angsty, heavy-handed web Craig has (in part) created for himself. Especially when market competitors are winning plaudits for simply being adrenalin soaked gut-punches.

I always thought B25 represented a high degree of difficulty. The chances of Craig going out on a high were just diminished further. Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he walked. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed his interpretation of Bond but in all honesty I’d be content if Spectre was his Waterloo.

I hate to admit it, and I’m sure I’ll change my mind on this by tomorrow, but I kind of hope Craig walks. At this point I’d much rather a fresh, new, enthusiastic actor in the role.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Are we all certain that John Hodge has now been fired?

There is surely no way that Eon have retained his services. I think the great irony is that if they want to make the December start date, they'll have to ask P&W back. They are Eon's writers. It's hilarious as their old script was tossed out for Hodge's draft. Now they'll be the ones to fix the script to Eon's specification.

This whole 'Danny Boyle experiment' has been such a farce. Personally, I think if Eon want an auetur they need to leave them to get on with it. You don't hire Danny Boyle and then get annoyed when he won't listen to you. Filmmakers like Boyle and Mendes have individualistic sensibilities. That's the reason you hire them!

I hope the film is delayed a year and Daniel Craig walks. Then this guy can play 007...

idris-as-bond-ntfsv.jpg
    TR007 wrote: »
    I hate to admit it, and I’m sure I’ll change my mind on this by tomorrow, but I kind of hope Craig walks. At this point I’d much rather a fresh, new, enthusiastic actor in the role.

+1
  • For me, Craig is second only to Connery in the Bond stakes. I'd love to see him do one final film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Are we all certain that John Hodge has now been fired?

There is surely no way that Eon have retained his services. I think the great irony is that if they want to make the December start date, they'll have to ask P&W back. They are Eon's writers. It's hilarious as their old script was tossed out for Hodge's draft. Now they'll be the ones to fix the script to Eon's specification.

This whole 'Danny Boyle experiment' has been such a farce. Personally, I think if Eon want an auetur they need to leave them to get on with it. You don't hire Danny Boyle and then get annoyed when he won't listen to you. Filmmakers like Boyle and Mendes have individualistic sensibilities. That's the reason you hire them!

I hope the film is delayed a year and Daniel Craig walks. Then this guy can play 007...

idris-as-bond-ntfsv.jpg

No, thank you.