No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Apparently, insiders on Twitter have heard that Eon were attempting to tinker on Hodge's script to Boyle's chagrin

This would be wholly unsurprising. He’s never worked in an environment like this before.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And the producers have every right to tinker with the script, that’s the nature of the business. They own it, and like I said earlier, they could put flying monkeys in it if they cared to.
    I’m sure Boyle has final say on his smaller budget films, but this is Bond. If they want changes or tweaks, you deliver it, or they will get someone who will.
    Boyle wanted to cast Tomasz Kot as the villain but Craig vetoed it. So Boyle bailed.
    That's it? Barbara, Michael & Daniel thought it was more important NOT to cast Tomasz Kot as the villain than to keep Danny Boyle? Are they insane???
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Tomasz Kot in Tux at Cann Festival in May this year:

cannes-2018-tomasz-kot-460688-GALLERY_BIG.jpg

agnieszka-kot-tomasz-kot-relacja-z-cannes-460681-VERTICAL.jpg

agnieszka-kot-tomasz-kot-relacja-z-cannes-460679-GALLERY_600.jpg

I like idea of uknown playing the villian.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Looks like we probably dodged a bullet.
    peter wrote: »
    And the producers have every right to tinker with the script, that’s the nature of the business. They own it, and like I said earlier, they could put flying monkeys in it if they cared to.
    I’m sure Boyle has final say on his smaller budget films, but this is Bond. If they want changes or tweaks, you deliver it, or they will get someone who will.

Clever producers know when to tinker with the script and when no to do so. This was a situation where they should have given their director everything. Why can't just one, just one Bond movie be director-driven, unusual, and aimed100% at adults?
    Why can't just one, just one Bond movie be director-driven, unusual, and aimed100% at adults?

You mean like Skyfall?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    At least Craig's Bond drove off in the end of SPECTRE.

I'll be expecting a new Bond film by 2021 if you please...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Getafix wrote: »
    Pathetic and sort of disrespectful to the fans that they couldn’t all find a way through.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Danny Boyle left the film over a dispute in casting

Boyle wanted to cast Tomasz Kot as the villain but Craig vetoed it. So Boyle bailed.

Eon are also unhappy with the overly political tone of the script and its Russia themes.

Apparently Boyle was sacked

0005L8VJ3ERLR20S-C122-F4.jpg

Politics ruin everything

Agreed with both.
    P + W script it is then.

I imagine P&W would involve Madeleine and/or Blofeld return, with the latter killing the former and leading to a revenge movie as we've been speculating for two years. I don't care at all about Madeleine, but I would be really happy to see the final showdown between Craig's Bond and Waltz's Blofeld. Waltz's schedule is currently free, so they could easily have him on board for Bond 25. I'll be honest, I'd rather have this than whatever Boyle had in mind. I want Craig's final movie to wrap the Blofeld storyline and tie the loose ends from SPECTRE.

If they decide to follow this route, I can see EON trying to get Mendes back (which actually makes me less happy) and he would undoubtedly ask Newman to re-use music tracks from SPECTRE to underline Blofeld's return and the continuity between the two movies.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The point is, the producers choose to hire Boyle knowing full well what that would mean, then they saw Fallout and probably got cold feet with Boyle esoteric, smaller scale idea.
    After thinking about this unfortunate development for a day, I have decided to commission someone well-versed in the occult to put a hex on Barbara Broccoli and more specifically on her movie career. She will NEVER produce a successful movie ever again.

Barbara Broccoli has been tormenting us, Bond fans for decades. it's time for her to go.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Clever producers know when to tinker with the script and when no to do so. This was a situation where they should have given their director everything. Why can't just one, just one Bond movie be director-driven, unusual, and aimed100% at adults?

Why do you assume they didn’t know what they were doing?
    Steve McQueen as the replacement. Do it Eon.

Why do you assume they didn’t know what they were doing?
    Because I've read the Sony leaks. I know they are incompetent. This was the last time I was enthusiastic about an upcoming Bond film produced by Barbara Broccoli.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,965
    429 days until the premier and we have no idea who the director of the movie is, no idea of the cast, or even which script they will use. I thought spending 4 years was supposed to make things go smoothly?
    After thinking about this unfortunate development for a day, I have decided to commission someone well-versed in the occult to put a hex on Barbara Broccoli and more specifically on her movie career. She will NEVER produce a successful movie ever again.

Barbara Broccoli has been tormenting us, Bond fans for decades. it's time for her to go.

The police have been informed and a detective is on his way to arrest you.
    columbo1.jpg?itok=09uOoyw4
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    The point is, the producers choose to hire Boyle knowing full well what that would mean, then they saw Fallout and probably got cold feet with Boyle esoteric, smaller scale idea.
    Ok, this is at least the 3rd time someone has posted this theory in the last 24 hours, and I have to say it's probably the single dumbest theory I've ever read in this thread. You have to be delusional to really believe EON decided to throw out pretty much everything 3 months before the planned first day of filming just because Mission 6 was a huge success.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Sad, sad state of affairs. EON needs to do damage control here pronto, otherwise things are looking pretty grim. It’s a shame the Craig era has been plagued by so many dilemmas & misfortunes. If a solution to this situation isn’t found soon, I think we can unfortunately kiss Craig goodbye & Bond 25 will be delayed until a new leading man is hired. I pray I’m wrong.
    EON most likely has Craig signed and locked to do Bond 25. I wouldn’t worry about Craig walking
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    429 days until the premier and we have no idea who the director of the movie is, no idea of the cast, or even which script they will use. I thought spending 4 years was supposed to make things go smoothly?
    Nothing is supposed to go smoothly when Barbara Broccoli is producing. Give Chris Nolan total control, and he will write, produce AND direct one of the most entertaining, original and clever Bond movies ever made, and he will only need 2 years to do it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think they do anything and everything to please and, if needs be, placate Craig. :)
    Ok, this is at least the 3rd time someone has posted this theory in the last 24 hours, and I have to say it's probably the single dumbest theory I've ever read in this thread. You have to be delusional to really believe EON decided to throw out pretty much everything 3 months before the planned first day of filming just because Mission 6 was a huge success.

Mission Impossible and Bond as movie franchises have co-existed for over twenty years, and yet no one was comparing them as much before Fallout was released. It's becoming blatantly obvious to all but the most diehard EON loyalists that MI has taken Bonds limelight. Presumably Babs and Co now realise this too, on some level.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?
    talos7 wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Other than that -- no, I have no doubts.

Obviously we have different appraisals. Lol.

Isn’t he Australian?
    We know how that went last time...
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

No but in the same way a black shouldn’t play bond, I don’t think an American/ Australian should either.

Australia is in the commonwealth.

So is Bangladesh.
    Doesn’t mean that the country should qualify for bond actors

Britain is filled with suave British Asians. An Asian bond is more realistic than a black bond.
    Charlize Theron is an African American. Country of origin doesn’t always dictate appearance.
    Everyone is talking about Barbara, but what is with Michael Wilson, is he retired, or made Daniel and Barbara all important decisions? He worked a long time with Cubby and should more experience than Barbara
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    "Craig has a big say in all the casting decisions. None of the Bond girls have been chosen without his say so," the source said.
    If this is in any way true, then Craig has way to much to say in the production side of things. I really hope the next guy won't have that luxury.
    If the casting of an actor was the real & only reason for this then the wrong person was sacked in my opinion.

Agree. What I can't understand (again, if this is true), is why the casting of this Tomasz Kot is so "controversial". Boyle certainly must have felt strongly about this guy being the right man for the part.

Or perhaps it was the excuse Boyle needed to bail. This certainly isn’t just a case of two professionals arguing over casting Imo.

This could very well be the reason, but it's very unprofessional if so. I wonder about the part Kot was a candidate for, though. Could Boyle have written the part (more or less) for this guy in mind? Has he worked with Boyle?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about Barbara, but what is with Michael Wilson, is he retired, or made Daniel and Barbara all important decisions? He worked a long time with Cubby and should more experience than Barbara

He has been taking a backseat for a while now due to ill-health, as far as I know. I could be wrong about why but he definitely is number two to Ms. Broccoli.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,921
    Babs is more front and center, but that doesn't mean MGW isn't still very involved.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,343
    Come on, it's obvious that the real and main reason behind this mess is that Boyle was against any kind of studio interference. He wanted to stay 100% true to his principles, like he said in one interview re-posted pages ago, but EoN in the end didn't accept that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    echo wrote: »
    Babs is more front and center, but that doesn't mean MGW isn't still very involved.
    Agreed.

Regarding his health, my knowledge was that he had a successful tripple-bypass surgery in late 2014 (presumably why he was absent at the SP announcement). Everything else is mere speculation.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Come on, it's obvious that the real and main reason behind this mess is that Boyle was against any kind of studio interference. He wanted to stay 100% true to his principles, like he said in one interview re-posted pages ago, but EoN in the end didn't accept that.
    What on Earth did Barbara Broccoli expect when they hired Boyle?
    I understand Boyle is a good director but is he so amazing that he needed total control, as many here to think? He's no Kubrick, Spielberg or even Nolan for that matter. He's good but... Well, he's just Boyle.