No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 19
    ggl007 wrote: »
    A friend with a good source had told me that stunts were going to start rehearsals on Monday 3rd September 2018. Therefore, it seems that pre-production is/was very advanced.
    A friend from Archivo 007? https://www.archivo007.com/index.php/noticias/bond-25/2693-oficial-d-boyle-fuera-de-bond-25 ;)
    Exactly, that friend: YOU, hehehe ... I didn´t know it had been published and I wanted to protect your source.
    peter wrote: »
    From the On This Day Thread (I think this is relevant to the current crisis. Everyone writes-off Bond, EoN, Craig... But these games and the lack of information to us, the viewers, has been going on for quite some time. Read what Michael Wilson says below, or Pierce Brosnan.
    (We just got the news on Boyle, but I'm quite sure everyone involved saw "the writing on the wall"; this decision could not have been made until consultation with ALL the players (MGM, Universal, Annapurna).
    The below is a fine example of giving the media nothing, and I'm not sure we will find out too much more of what happened with Boyle. EoN will carry on as they did when Connery left the series, or after making statements like the one below):

James Bond Is An Invisible Man For Now
    August 22, 1985 | By Marilyn Beck.

HOLLYWOOD — The future of secret agent 007 is very much in limbo.

"We haven`t decided if there will be another James Bond picture,"

says Michael Wilson, associate of producer Cubby Broccoli and coproducer of this summer's A View to a Kill.

In response to reports out of London that preparations are being made for the next Bond production, Wilson insists, "We have no title, no script, no writer or director. In other words, absolutely nothing has been resolved, and we`re not sure when or if it will be."

Although A View (Roger Moore`s seventh starring stint as the dashing British secret agent) is doing spectacularly in some overseas markets, it has not set any records domestically. And I am told that Broccoli is agreeing privately with reviewers who believe that Moore, at 57, has become too long in the tooth for the part.

The name of dashing Remington Steele leading man Pierce Brosnan has popped up as Moore's Bond successor. But Wilson insists that at this point, the casting of another Bond picture isn`t even being considered. And Brosnan is taking a laid-back attitude: "I want to make movies, but I don't see what I could bring to the role that Roger Moore and Sean Connery haven`t already brought."

Interesting article. In spite of this, they still managed to get the next film out 2 years later. I wonder if Michael and Barbara have lost that skill?
    A friend with a good source had told me that stunts were going to start rehearsals on Monday 3rd September 2018. Therefore, it seems that pre-production is/was very advanced.

I don´t know, but I tend to believe that producers pretend to go on with the same script (maybe with some changes) and a new director. I think Paul McGuigan would be a good and realistic option.

I'm wondering, now as well if Eon may still be planning to go with Boyle and Hodge's script. That might lesson the delay.
    What bothers me is Eon seemed happy to drop the B25 they were working on when Boyle pitched his concept and may be back to square one. What a complete waste of time if that's the case. They were well into pre-production, casting underway, probably location scouting, hiring the crew for Boyle, etc. To have to start the entire process over again is extremely frustrating. Going back to the Purvis/Wade script would probably entail starting from scratch, if the process wasn't too far along when they dropped it for Boyle.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 389
    I'd lay money it's Babs who pushed for Boyle to go, she'll have taken exception to something Dan was pushing for, maybe regarding the direction of the Bond character or the like, she is very defensive with the whole ethos of Bond. Well known that you cross swords with Ms. Broccoli at your peril.
  • RC7RC7
    My instinct is that they will push ahead with the Hodge script, with directorial changes, as and when they hire someone. As far as I’m aware production design is rolling, although not advanced and they are in the early stages of casting.

Based on nothing but instinct I do wonder whether Boyle was overwhelmed by the scale and perhaps felt unable to accommodate the producers’ requests. It happens. Balancing your creative vision with an avalanche of other creative and commercial obligations is no small feat.

Whether Boyle walked or was ‘let go’, I’ve every faith Barbara made the call for the right reasons, so can we cool it on the ‘EON are cancer’ vibe?

Anything could happen right now, intel is scarce. I’m waiting to hear a little more before speculating further.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,157

I don't understand the hate for Mendes.

1. Unnecessary fan-wankery (e. g. the DB5, Blofeld)
    2. Can't balance the tone
    3. Doesn't get Bond and the other characters and puts too much focus on the Scooby Gang
    4. Decided to rehash Skyfall tracks into SPECTRE
    5. He's obsessed with personal angles and origin stories
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I don't think this would have been taken lightly. EON wouldn't have wanted to lose their director and they would anticipate its effect on the film crew, studio and the public. There must have been some soul searching and trying to compromise - from memory Boyle hasn't ever really had a troubled shoot (other than The Beach). Boyle must realise he will never get an opportunity to do a Bond film again and He'd also managed to thread the needle of getting EON on board with his (and Hodge's) idea.

I hope they stay with Hodge's script as I rate him as a screenwriter - and EON must have seen something in it that they want to pursue and can now mold to their own style. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Hodge's script with a Purvis and Wade rewrite?
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Is @bondjames moonlighting for the Hollywood Reporter?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-james-bond-should-leave-daniel-craig-past-1136495

There is the ring of truth about this article.
    I'm afraid I can't take credit for this @Getafix, but that article certainly mirrors my own opinion on the matter.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Agreed. It just feels stale now. I think what would have helped is if Craig was out there working on more commercial films and new how to handle himself better during press junkets; I think then the staleness of his longevity in the role wouldn't be AS obvious.
    Agreed as well.
    Benny wrote: »
    If they need a director who knows how too handle a Bond film, forget Campbell. Look no further than five time Bind director...John Glen!
    In all seriousness let's take a breath and not panic just yet. Other than the big news regarding Boyle, no other news has surfaced. It's far too early to make guesses about the future of Bond 25.
    It's certainly no need for any personal attacks or arguing over something that is clearly speculative. Thanks

Now that Boyle has been lanced, I am praying for a modern Glen. But with Craig's amount of control, I doubt it will happen.
    I can't see this while Craig is Bond. It's not the direction they are going in for his trajectory, unless they've had a sudden change of heart.
    --

Interesting thing about this 'creative differences' comment in the announcement. That was the same term that was used when Craig agreed to return. I recall reading an article stating that Craig agreed to come back after Mendes chose not to. Apparently, there were 'creative differences' between them on the set of SP. I'm not sure if this is just a standard industry term or not, but I found it rather coincidental.

We can speculate about why this happened, but I'm more intrigued about where they go from here. I really think they need a big name to pick this up and run with it (again, because I think they need to rely on that name for marketing). Yann who? Seriously, I liked '71, but I can't see this guy following Mendes and picking up for Boyle.

Craig, at least on the face of it, appears to have too much power.

Not that I thought Mendes did anything special, but ultimately he was the Director, as was Boyle for a time. If Craig can't get on with making a film without winging then he is the problem.

I admit it's all speculation. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Boyle wanted to do something too outlandish, or un-Bond like that was a deal breaker. The worry is that Craig seems to be the common denominator.
    I think Mission Impossible may have led to some panic . Boyle was presumably looking for something a bit more low key. I just hope we don't end up with another hack like Tamohari.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,599
    That's a fair point. Of course, it could be just co-incidence but easy to panic when you see an action packed MI get both financial and critical success (and openly discussing the next one) when, at the same time, you are just about to start working on a low action Bond.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Shocking news. Never been a fan of Danny Boyle but now I fear a 2020 delay, or maybe even a Craig goodbye...

Honestly I really can't see how they'll find a good replacement in such a few time... they need to find a director (a good/experienced one, with a name, B25 is Craig's last and it MUST be an event), polish the Hodge script (or even the P&W one) in the likes of the new helmer etc etc in such a few time... december is right around the corner...

Right now I only see one director who can save the movie. One director who's capable of writing and directing a big scale blockbuster, without losing time in second hand rewrites... and it's McQuarrie (aka the new JJ Abrams of spy action movies). But unfortunately I don't see this happening...

Hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting a delay now. I must say that I'm really upset with EoN. Spectre came out 3 years ago and finding themselves without a director 3 months prior to principal photography is just unacceptable. I really really love Spectre, I absolutely loved what they did in the last 4 movies and I really really don't get why so many people here hate Mendes... but now is really disappointing how EoN is managing 25.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I think Mission Impossible may have led to some panic . Boyle was presumably looking for something a bit more low key. I just hope we don't end up with another hack like Tamohari.
    patb wrote: »
    That's a fair point. Of course, it could be just co-incidence but easy to panic when you see an action packed MI get both financial and critical success (and openly discussing the next one) when, at the same time, you are just about to start working on a low action Bond.
    It's of course possible, but I think this would be a mistake. They play in different spaces, and they won't be able to top MI:Fallout in the action stakes. Foolish to try.

I wonder if the distributor had some input into this decision. Presumably they did, although they aren't mentioned in the announcement.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    My instinct is that they will push ahead with the Hodge script, with directorial changes, as and when they hire someone. As far as I’m aware production design is rolling, although not advanced and they are in the early stages of casting.

Based on nothing but instinct I do wonder whether Boyle was overwhelmed by the scale and perhaps felt unable to accommodate the producers’ requests. It happens. Balancing your creative vision with an avalanche of other creative and commercial obligations is no small feat.

Whether Boyle walked or was ‘let go’, I’ve every faith Barbara made the call for the right reasons, so can we cool it on the ‘EON are cancer’ vibe?

Anything could happen right now, intel is scarce. I’m waiting to hear a little more before speculating further.

Full agreement; I also feel it’ll be the Hodge script (perhaps with a few doctors on board to do the polishes)...

And yes, wondered if a director like Boyle was overwhelmed with the scale...
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 613
    I hope they stay with Hodge's script as I rate him as a screenwriter - and EON must have seen something in it that they want to pursue and can now mold to their own style. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Hodge's script with a Purvis and Wade rewrite?

I'm fairly certain the Hodge script will be scrapped entirely. Hodge is Boyle's writer, and the two seem generally inseparable. Hodge will leave with Boyle and the script along with them. EON's going to start from scratch.
    Again both Justice League and Solo were having huge issues and both lost their directiors and yet both came out on time...

As far as “c-list” directors really what did Peter Hunt or John Glen do pre or post bond of note?

Again my opinion screw the embargo on American directors and get a quality director no matter what the nationalality bring in a script doctor to fix Hodge’s script (which EON owns) and there you go.

I was joking with Howard but he would be the best of both worlds a workman director who will do exactly what the studio wants who has Oscar cred while I prefer Mcquarrie (as with him you get an accomplished writer and director to save the film) but heck I would take Roger Spottiswood back or .... even... Michael Apted so long as it’s not Mendes or Tamhori I will be fine and so will bond 25 (hat being said if I had to pick I would go with Tamhori over Mendes and yes I know die another day sucks but the first hour is actually really good it’s just the second hour is so bad)
    The irony is that the idea was both Hodge and Boyle's. If I recall correctly, Boyle said he'd do it only if Hodge wrote it. Hence why he was brought in.

Truly shocking.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 9,730
    The irony is that the idea was both Hodge and Boyle's. If I recall correctly, Boyle said he'd do it only if Hodge wrote it. Hence why he was brought in.

Truly shocking.

My opinion is that Boyle wanted Bond 25 to be a hard R and the rest of the group wanted PG13 my guess is Boyle’s idea could be done either way without losing too much hence why I have a feeling they are staying on task

And the more I think about this the more I think Mcquarrie was offered as much money as he wants to come in and I think once he signs the dotted line they will announce it. It’s weird to me that within an hour of Boyle leaving he was rumored
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Escalus5 wrote: »

I'm fairly certain the Hodge script will be scrapped entirely. Hodge is Boyle's writer, and the two seem generally inseparable. Hodge will leave with Boyle and the script along with them. EON's going to start from scratch.

Hodge doesn’t own the script, EoN does. They can put flying monkeys in it if they so please.

At this point it doesn’t matter if Hodge stays or goes. They will bring on some polishers to do what’s needed (especially once a new director comes on board).

edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Risico007 wrote: »

Truly shocking.

My opinion is that Boyle wanted Bond 25 to be a hard R and the rest of the group wanted PG13 my guess is Boyle’s idea could be done either way without losing too much hence why I have a feeling they are staying on task

And the more I think about this the more I think Mcquarrie was offered as much money as he wants to come in and I think once he signs the dotted line they will announce it. It’s weird to me that within an hour of Boyle leaving he was rumored
    I think the McQ rumours are just on account of MI:Fallout being a critical darling and because of his track record with that franchise. I really can't see him taking this film at this point.

I suppose EON can have a face saving way out if Boyle falls on his sword. He hasn't said anything about this yet, and his comments will either help, or hurt the future of this production. I hope they have an arrangement with him so that he takes the hit for the team.

The funny thing is Boyle initially said that his involvement would be dependent on the script being approved. It was, and then he was announced, along with the distributor (who presumably signed up for the vision that was proposed). Implementing someone else's vision will be a challenge, particularly the vision of someone like Boyle, who is a very individualistic film maker.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    @bondsum. They were deep into pre production. Neither the producers, Craig or Boyle would be be that far advanced if none of them liked the script that Hodge delivered 3 months ago.
    I’ve just noticed that you hyperbolize your observations @cooperman2 when you make your points, such as your latest statement that Eon are “deep into production” when it’s quite the opposite. They’re at the start of production, making casting calls and, no doubt, in early discussions with the production designer as to what they want. No sets have actually been constructed yet which would imply being deep into production. Sorry, I don’t mean to split hairs but you did state in your first post that everyone had signed off on it and was excited about it, when the only quotes have been from some of the supporting cast members saying that they’re excited to be working with Danny Boyle. No one has commented on a finished script so far. All we know is that it’s meant to feature a considerable “coup de cinema” - and that’s about the extent of anyone’s knowledge. Oh, and some Russians and a Maori henchman.

The Guardian has a piece today whereby they state: “Industry insiders suspect these differences revolve around the script, which Boyle wrote with his long-term collaborator John Hodge.”

I’m not going to be so bold as to say that it is this most definitely 100% the cause, but it was the original dealbreaker to begin with that Boyle direct B25 if Eon went with his concept. Maybe they liked whatever draft they last saw enough to advance but on the proviso that further changes were made and met? These changes could’ve been what broke the proverbial camal’s back. Until further news is incoming, we’ll have to hold off from making too many sweeping assessments.

For now, we’ll just have to be content with @peter and @RC7 sharing their insightful thoughts on the matter.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Playing “what if” , If they like Hodge’s script but feel it needs more action and spectacular set pieces, McQuarrie, a skilled writer, could incorporate them into the existing script seamlessly.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 613
    peter wrote: »

Hodge doesn’t own the script, EoN does. They can put flying monkeys in it if they so please.

At this point it doesn’t matter if Hodge stays or goes. They will bring on some polishers to do what’s needed (especially once a new director comes on board).

We don't know that.
    Here's the announcement from May:

Universal has won the rights to internationally distribute the upcoming Bond 25 film directed by Danny Boyle.

Daniel Craig will return as 007 and Boyle will direct from an original screenplay by John Hodge. The film will begin production December 3, and MGM will release the film in the United States on Nov. 8, 2019 through a partnership with Annapurna Pictures.

Universal will release the film in the U.K. Oct 25, 2019.

MGM will retain digital and worldwide television distribution rights. Universal will also handle physical home entertainment distribution.

We are delighted to announce that the exceptionally talented Danny Boyle will be directing Daniel Craig in his fifth outing as James Bond in the 25th installment of the franchise,” said EON Productions’ Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. “We will begin shooting ‘Bond 25’ at Pinewood Studios in December with our partners at MGM and are thrilled that Universal will be our international distributor.”

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-universal-international-rights-1202822141/
    ----

Here are Boyle's comments from March of this year:

We are working on a script right now. And it all depends on that really. I am working on a Richard Curtis script at the moment,” he began.

We hope to start shooting that in six or seven weeks. Then Bond would be right at the end of the year.

He continued: “We’ve got an idea, John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment.

And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.”

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/932277/James-Bond-25-Danny-Boyle-director-Daniel-Craig-release-date
    ----

This is the 2nd time an 'official' announcement about this film has proven to be incorrect. The first time was when they announced P&W as writers.

So anything is possible going forward.
  • I'm disappointed. Boyle was the first thing about this film so far to get me genuinely excited. I hope they still go with his/Hodge's idea at least.
    Of course Eon own the script that Hodge’s wrote, @Escalus5. Just like they owned the Anthony Burgess TSWLM script that was never used. Do you seriously think that they’d hire and pay a screenwriter that kept sole rights to whether they could use it or not?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    McQuarrie signed up for Bond 25 would be Eon breaking a habit of a lifetime: not hiring American directors. Also, it might feel a bit like Eon is desperate to cash in on MI Fallout's appeal - "let's get that director because he's the flavour of the day!"

I dunno, I don't think B Broccoli would think like that. Also, McQuarrie may not want to spend seven months of intensive filming after MI's long shoot - which was extended due to Cruise's injury. But the main thing is McQuarrie is American and Eon appear to be allergic to American directors! Can't see them choosing him.

bondsum wrote: »
    Of course Eon own the script that Hodge’s wrote, @Escalus5. Just like they owned the Anthony Burgess TSWLM script that was never used. Do you seriously think that they’d hire and pay a screenwriter that kept sole rights to whether they could use it or not?

"Sole rights," no (considering that Bond and other recurring characters are not theirs). But I'm guessing Boyle and Hodge retain some control over aspects of the script, much like Donald Westlake when he wrote a novel based on his story treatments.
    Hard to imagine a bigger mess. What a way to treat one of cinema's greatest series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009

"Sole rights," no (considering that Bond and other recurring characters are not theirs). But I'm guessing Boyle and Hodge retain some control over aspects of the script, much like Donald Westlake when he wrote a novel based on his story treatments.

All it means is that if the script gets used, Hodges is entitled to a screenplay credit even if someone else changes elements of it or rewrites it entirely but keeps the core concepts. The script is the least complicated thing here, really. Eon own the content - Hodges has rights as the author but only to a credit, not to prevent it being used. Problems would only arise if it was used and Hodges wasn't credited.

It's finding someone to take on the project despite the bad taste left by Boyle's departure that is the real issue, not the script.
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    Hard to imagine a bigger mess. What a way to treat one of cinema's greatest series.

Bit over the top.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333

We’re discussing the film rights that Eon own and the script that Eon hired and paid Hodge’s for, not the publishing rights to a book. The Donald Westlake novel was altered drastically so that it wouldn’t infringe on whatever agreement he had with Eon at the time of TND. Clearly the essence of the story is there but not the Bondian elements. In other words, it’s been altered enough to not call in the lawyers. What @peter was commenting on was that Eon own the script that Hodge’s wrote and it’s up to them if they want to change it, bring in different writers to give it a polish or flush it down the toilet.

Personally, I think the majority will still be used. But with whatever changes Eon wanted made.