No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Craig's abject commercial failure outside of Bond doesn't help.

I think it's probably fed some insecurities he has as well. He's bound up in this huge commercial machine - Bond - and he knows that when he leaves it his career is going to be in a completely different universe.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I really love how some people come to the most amazing conclusions based on the announcement yesterday.
    Yes, it is disheartening what have happened and yes it is dissapointing. But to accuse Barbara (always Barbara) and Craig for being amateurs based on nothing.
    That's just ridiculous. Let us calm down and wait for something official. I am sure that we will hear something new very soon, if only to calm the distributors and others in the industry.
    It is more important to appear to be calm, then to actually be calm.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    If they need a director who knows how too handle a Bond film, forget Campbell. Look no further than five time Bind director...John Glen!
    In all seriousness let's take a breath and not panic just yet. Other than the big news regarding Boyle, no other news has surfaced. It's far too early to make guesses about the future of Bond 25.
    It's certainly no need for any personal attacks or arguing over something that is clearly speculative. Thanks

Now that Boyle has been lanced, I am praying for a modern Glen. But with Craig's amount of control, I doubt it will happen.

Just switched on Good Morning Britain they are running yet another speculative Idris Elba will be the next Bond story.

As a side note Charlotte Hawkwins news presenter on Good Morning Britain would make a great Bond girl.

Charlotte-Hawkins-1134322.jpg

The guys behind and to her left agree! ;)

Worrying news! But am trying to be positive as I was never really happy with Boyles signing!
    As a replacement I would favour Demange (but I doubt he will do it as he probably pissed at being dumped for Boyle!) or David McKenzie!
    MrBond wrote: »
    I really love how some people come to the most amazing conclusions based on the announcement yesterday.
    Yes, it is disheartening what have happened and yes it is dissapointing. But to accuse Barbara (always Barbara) and Craig for being amateurs based on nothing.
    That's just ridiculous. Let us calm down and wait for something official. I am sure that we will hear something new very soon, if only to calm the distributors and others in the industry.

Really? "Based on nothing?"
    @bondsum. They were deep into pre production. Neither the producers, Craig or Boyle would be be that far advanced if none of them liked the script that Hodge delivered 3 months ago.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 824
    It was shock news. To lose a director just 3 months before shooting is due to start is a serious issue and must put the whole production schedule and release date in some jeopardy.I'm certainly not going to speculate on the issues that resulted in Boyle leaving. I'm sure it'll come out one day but for now the priority is to get Bond 25 back on track. Many good directors are now committed to other projects for 2019 and quite a few would want to be involved at a far earlier stage of production anyway. If he's available, I'd ask Sam Mendes. We know he can do the job, he knows the ropes. He could dig the franchise out of an enormous hole. However, I don't know what his schedule looks like for next year. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole project is put back a year to 2020 :(
    Amazing to consider that the first seven Bond films were made over a period of nine years. The current four year cycle seems painfully plodding
    It was shock news. To lose a director just 3 months before shooting is due to start is a serious issue and must put the whole production schedule and release date in some jeopardy. Many good directors are now committed to other projects for 2019 and quite a few would want to be involved at a far earlier stage of production anyway. If he's available, I'd ask Sam Mendes. We know he can do the job, he knows the ropes. He could dig the franchise out of an enormous hole. However, I don't know what his schedule looks like for next year.

I'm not sure I could take another Mendes Bond film after the last one,he cant help but make it emotional and personal.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It was shock news. To lose a director just 3 months before shooting is due to start is a serious issue and must put the whole production schedule and release date in some jeopardy. Many good directors are now committed to other projects for 2019 and quite a few would want to be involved at a far earlier stage of production anyway. If he's available, I'd ask Sam Mendes. We know he can do the job, he knows the ropes. He could dig the franchise out of an enormous hole. However, I don't know what his schedule looks like for next year.

I'm not sure I could take another Mendes Bond film after the last one,he cant help but make it emotional and personal.

And he would ask Newman to reuse the same tracks from Skyfall and SPECTRE. This way only 1/3 of Bond 25 will have original music.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Walecs wrote: »

And he would ask Newman to reuse the same tracks from Skyfall and SPECTRE. This way only 1/3 of Bond 25 will have original music.

Good point !!

This is becoming a serious mess,as usual.
    Bond is becoming a joke in the industry as this keeps happening.

It's only a film ffs.

If MI,Marvel,DC,Jurassic Park,F&F et al can bring films out without all the in-house wranglings then whats the problem ?

Tom Cruise has a big say in the MI series but this doesn't happen there as he is willing to listen to his personel and is ok with changing ideas if there is a better one mentioned.

Something I think Babs and Craig are not willing to do.
    This seems a power-crazed situation to me.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    If Boyle leaves then the script leaves, no? If not, find a replacement director quickly and try to meet deadlines. If the script is out with Boyle, then I would be surprised if we did not get a delay of at least a year.

Agree. If Mendes returns, I'm not sure I'll bother watching the film at the theatre.

Agree. If Mendes returns, I'm not sure I'll bother watching the film at the theatre.

Same here.

I can quite easily wait until it comes on SKY.
    He's not that bad! Sheesh. Some of you lot are so negative! Mendes' films look pretty although I'm not a huge fan of the yellow/orange tint. Wouldn't mind seeing that dropped in Bond 25.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Getafix wrote: »
    MrBond wrote: »

Really? "Based on nothing?"

Yes, we have absolutely no idea what is the reason for Boyle leaving. For all we know it may be a good thing and that everyone in the production has agreed that this is the best thing going forward.
    "Creative differences" is a reason that seldom means what it says. Usually it is something else behind.
    I think Mendes return is unlikely.

EON and Craig seem to be good at burning bridges
    I bet he wanted a 15 rated Bond. Pity he's gone. Would have been nice to see a gritty Bond as a cold hearted assassin.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    From the On This Day Thread (I think this is relevant to the current crisis. Everyone writes-off Bond, EoN, Craig... But these games and the lack of information to us, the viewers, has been going on for quite some time. Read what Michael Wilson says below, or Pierce Brosnan.
    (We just got the news on Boyle, but I'm quite sure everyone involved saw "the writing on the wall"; this decision could not have been made until consultation with ALL the players (MGM, Universal, Annapurna).
    The below is a fine example of giving the media nothing, and I'm not sure we will find out too much more of what happened with Boyle. EoN will carry on as they did when Connery left the series, or after making statements like the one below):

James Bond Is An Invisible Man For Now
    August 22, 1985 | By Marilyn Beck.

HOLLYWOOD — The future of secret agent 007 is very much in limbo.

"We haven`t decided if there will be another James Bond picture,"

says Michael Wilson, associate of producer Cubby Broccoli and coproducer of this summer's A View to a Kill.

In response to reports out of London that preparations are being made for the next Bond production, Wilson insists, "We have no title, no script, no writer or director. In other words, absolutely nothing has been resolved, and we`re not sure when or if it will be."

Although A View (Roger Moore`s seventh starring stint as the dashing British secret agent) is doing spectacularly in some overseas markets, it has not set any records domestically. And I am told that Broccoli is agreeing privately with reviewers who believe that Moore, at 57, has become too long in the tooth for the part.

The name of dashing Remington Steele leading man Pierce Brosnan has popped up as Moore's Bond successor. But Wilson insists that at this point, the casting of another Bond picture isn`t even being considered. And Brosnan is taking a laid-back attitude: "I want to make movies, but I don't see what I could bring to the role that Roger Moore and Sean Connery haven`t already brought."
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,291

Same here.

I can quite easily wait until it comes on SKY.

We've waited this long, so a few more months doesn't make much difference! :))
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    He's not that bad! Sheesh. Some of you lot are so negative! Mendes' films look pretty although I'm not a huge fan of the yellow/orange tint. Wouldn't mind seeing that dropped in Bond 25.

I couldn't get excited about either SF or SP, and I think the latter isn't just a bad Bond film, but a bad film. The only decent thing about that film is the cinematography, and even that is affected by the Piss Filter™ (as @TheWizardOfIce has coined it). Don't think I'm able to stomach more of the same.
    Maybe put the film on the backburner. I'd hate for Craigs tenure to end on a damp squib aka die another day.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    Is @bondjames moonlighting for the Hollywood Reporter?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-james-bond-should-leave-daniel-craig-past-1136495

There is the ring of truth about this article.
    I'm afraid I can't take credit for this @Getafix, but that article certainly mirrors my own opinion on the matter.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Agreed. It just feels stale now. I think what would have helped is if Craig was out there working on more commercial films and new how to handle himself better during press junkets; I think then the staleness of his longevity in the role wouldn't be AS obvious.
    Agreed as well.
    Benny wrote: »
    If they need a director who knows how too handle a Bond film, forget Campbell. Look no further than five time Bind director...John Glen!
    In all seriousness let's take a breath and not panic just yet. Other than the big news regarding Boyle, no other news has surfaced. It's far too early to make guesses about the future of Bond 25.
    It's certainly no need for any personal attacks or arguing over something that is clearly speculative. Thanks

Now that Boyle has been lanced, I am praying for a modern Glen. But with Craig's amount of control, I doubt it will happen.
    I can't see this while Craig is Bond. It's not the direction they are going in for his trajectory, unless they've had a sudden change of heart.
    --

Interesting thing about this 'creative differences' comment in the announcement. That was the same term that was used when Craig agreed to return. I recall reading an article stating that Craig agreed to come back after Mendes chose not to. Apparently, there were 'creative differences' between them on the set of SP. I'm not sure if this is just a standard industry term or not, but I found it rather coincidental.

We can speculate about why this happened, but I'm more intrigued about where they go from here. I really think they need a big name to pick this up and run with it (again, because I think they need to rely on that name for marketing). Yann who? Seriously, I liked '71, but I can't see this guy following Mendes and picking up for Boyle.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I really think they need a big name to pick this up and run with it (again, because I think they need to rely on that name for marketing). Yann who? Seriously, I liked '71, but I can't see this guy following Mendes and picking up for Boyle.

Mendes and Boyle were the big names. If Craig can't play ball with either of them then there's no chance he'll get along with someone who is arguably a much bigger name, such as Nolan.
  • A friend with a good source had told me that stunts were going to start rehearsals on Monday 3rd September 2018. Therefore, it seems that pre-production is/was very advanced.

I don´t know, but I tend to believe that producers pretend to go on with the same script (maybe with some changes) and a new director. I think Paul McGuigan would be a good and realistic option.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TR007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I really think they need a big name to pick this up and run with it (again, because I think they need to rely on that name for marketing). Yann who? Seriously, I liked '71, but I can't see this guy following Mendes and picking up for Boyle.

Mendes and Boyle were the big names. If Craig can't play ball with either of them then there's no chance he'll get along with someone who is arguably a much bigger name, such as Nolan.
    Nolan won't do it while Craig is Bond. He wants to reimagine it.

I meant someone well known, but perhaps not as famous or as auteuristic. Someone who can fix a problem, like the often mentioned Howard perhaps.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    What are the chances for a press release from EON in the next week or so? They were quoted when Boyle officially came onto B25 so surely they'd do the same now that he's gone? I wouldn't leave it to Boyle to explain this mess...
    Does Boyle have a record of being difficult? I can't remember other examples where he has pulled out like this? Considering what's at stake, you would have thought that everything would have been agreed before going public. It suggests that the announcement was made before they had actually formally agreed on both his vision and how he likes to work.

Either way, it just comes over as amateurish IMHO

• edited August 2018 Posts: 824

I don't understand the hate for Mendes. He moved the films in a different direction for sure. More emotional, atmospheric, moody and the films were all the better for it. Both Mendes films are easily in the top 50% of Bond movies with Skyfall possibly in the top quarter. If he's available.....then bring him back.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    A friend with a good source had told me that stunts were going to start rehearsals on Monday 3rd September 2018. Therefore, it seems that pre-production is/was very advanced.

I don´t know, but I tend to believe that producers pretend to go on with the same script (maybe with some changes) and a new director. I think Paul McGuigan would be a good and realistic option.

Interesting comments.

I think that the 'Danny Boyle train' was rolling. they have a script (which will constantly be amended over production), they have hired a crew and are working on this thing actively. They have a production designer and a special effects supervisor and other heads of units are appointed.

The question now is whether they continue ploughing money into this thing, or if they stop and regroup. The latter may mean a delay and a more prestigious director. However, they risk loosing Craig and scrapping everything they've been working on.

I agree that a journeyman helmer is needed to execute at this stage. If they want a Danny Boyle, Sam Mendes, Chris Nolan, Steve McQueen, Christoper McQuarrie-type of filmmaker, they'll have to wait for the reboot.

I think Eon are looking for competent filmmakers with enough flair that can bring this thing in on time and ensure it doesn't fall off the rail.

Some suggestions:

Paul McGuigan: He was rumoured and he fits the bill. He'd do as he's told, but he isn't 'edgy' enough for Craig and may be a dealbreaker for the actor.

Yann Demange: He was the favourite before Boyle. He's an up-and-coming director who can shoot action and is about to get big name recognition with White Boy Rick. However, he's young and inexperienced. This would count against him coming in at such a late stage.

David Mackenzie: Once again he was considered before Boyle. He is very experienced and has made enough films with action components and he has arthouse credentials. Personally, I think he'd be the best choice and a lot more interesting a suggestion than Boyle. Watch Starred Up and the Outlaw King trailer for evidence.

J.A Bayona: He was considered for Bond 24 and he has just made a $1billion hit for Universal. They may suggest him to Eon. He essentially was bought on to that film to direct Colin Trevorrow's script, so I can imagine Universal see Bayona as a 'fixer' who could help Bond 25.

Martin Campbell: He has saved Bond twice. Eon have a lot of respect for him. However, he's old and his last few films have been dreadful. It may also be a dealbreaker for Craig.

Antoine Fuqua: Just had a hit with the Equalizer and can do action. We also know from a recent interview he has spoken to Broccoli.

Ridley Scott: No man can execute on time and budget like Scott. He's prestigious and could direct Bond in his sleep. However, his workman approach in recent years has been a little stale. Nonetheless, Scott is the type of filmmaker who could rescue something like this. He'd have no problem doing what Eon say and will film the script as issued. I think Eon should hire Scott as he is a 'name' and can shoot quickly and on budget. He's the British Steven Spielberg.

Personally, I think Eon have a choice to make between David McKenzie and Ridley Scott.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    A friend with a good source had told me that stunts were going to start rehearsals on Monday 3rd September 2018. Therefore, it seems that pre-production is/was very advanced.
    A friend from Archivo 007? https://www.archivo007.com/index.php/noticias/bond-25/2693-oficial-d-boyle-fuera-de-bond-25 ;)