'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Who knows how different the show could have been if it had continued. McCoy gets his 4th and last series, then what? I think Richard Griffiths would have made a wonderfully eccentric Doctor in his own way. So there's my 8th Doctor. My 9th Doctor would be Griffiths' Withnail & I co-star, and Shalka Doctor, Richard E Grant. No idea beyond that.

I recently rewatched the McCoy era, I hate to say it though I found his first season almost unwatchable, things start to pick up in his second season though his third season is considerably superior. Its a shame it took so long for the writing to give McCoy someone good to work with.

Interesting choices for further Doctors Withnail & I would have potentially given us three Doctors, or even four if you added Ralph Brown...

Danny.jpg

Danny was a great character.

Personally, I don't hate series 24, but there is a definite upturn in quality between the three series. If only the quality had translated into ratings, rather than running counter to them.

It's well documented that it was too little too late, though revisting season 26 I was pleasantly surprised how good it was despite its short length. Ace has elevated into the top tier of companions for me, Ace really was good in that last season.
    I haven't seen her episodes yet, but anyone able to do that to a Dalek is all right in my book :

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Who knows how different the show could have been if it had continued. McCoy gets his 4th and last series, then what? I think Richard Griffiths would have made a wonderfully eccentric Doctor in his own way. So there's my 8th Doctor. My 9th Doctor would be Griffiths' Withnail & I co-star, and Shalka Doctor, Richard E Grant. No idea beyond that.

I recently rewatched the McCoy era, I hate to say it though I found his first season almost unwatchable, things start to pick up in his second season though his third season is considerably superior. Its a shame it took so long for the writing to give McCoy someone good to work with.

Interesting choices for further Doctors Withnail & I would have potentially given us three Doctors, or even four if you added Ralph Brown...

Danny.jpg

Danny was a great character.

Personally, I don't hate series 24, but there is a definite upturn in quality between the three series. If only the quality had translated into ratings, rather than running counter to them.

It's well documented that it was too little too late, though revisting season 26 I was pleasantly surprised how good it was despite its short length. Ace has elevated into the top tier of companions for me, Ace really was good in that last season.

Looking at the viewing figures, they peaked during Toms era, unsurprisingly, then entered a gradual decline. Ace is my #1 companion, she was the perfect juvenile pyromaniac foil to the scheming 7th Doctor. Mel is likable in the audios, but she just never had the same quality writing on tv. And all the screaming.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I haven't seen her episodes yet, but anyone able to do that to a Dalek is all right in my book :

Classic scene. "Who are you calling small?"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,270
    From the classic era my top companions were Barbara and Ian, Victoria, Jamie, Zoe, Jo, Romana 1, Peri and Ace... And the Brig of course.

Adric was appalling in how he was written though I found his turncoat at a drop of a hat attitude amusing.
  • From the classic era my top companions were Barbara and Ian, Victoria, Jamie, Zoe, Jo, Romana 1, Peri and Ace... And the Brig of course.

Adric was appalling in how he was written though I found his turncoat at a drop of a hat attitude amusing.

I think I agree completely with your favourite companions list. So refreshing to see someone prefer Romana I (Mary Tamm) over her second version, as well.

Jamie should be up there with Sarah Jane Smith as far as iconic companions go, but the loss of so many of his era's episodes inevitably works against him. His relationship with Patrick Troughton provides some of the best Doctor-Companion chemistry in the series.

@MajorDSmythe is right to point out that Bonnie Langford's Mel, although pretty poorly written on TV, found redemption of a sort in the Big Finish audios. I always enjoy the Mel episodes there, although I think my favourite companion in that medium is probably Old Sixie's Evelyn Smythe.
    From the classic era my top companions were Barbara and Ian, Victoria, Jamie, Zoe, Jo, Romana 1, Peri and Ace... And the Brig of course.

I think I agree completely with your favourite companions list. So refreshing to see someone prefer Romana I (Mary Tamm) over her second version, as well.

Jamie should be up there with Sarah Jane Smith as far as iconic companions go, but the loss of so many of his era's episodes inevitably works against him. His relationship with Patrick Troughton provides some of the best Doctor-Companion chemistry in the series.
    Agree Hines and Troughton had arguably the best dynamic from the whole series.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Pretty much agree with that - though I've never (and still don't) consider the Brig. to be a companion, more of an associate.
    Sarah Jame Smith worked with more than one Doctor and her reconnecting with the David Tennant episode was one of the most emotional moments in the Tennant series. Her having her own series which worked very well was proof that she is one of the characters that stayed in peoples memories and the younger generation accepted her as well.

Pretty much agree with that - though I've never (and still don't) consider the Brig. to be a companion, more of an associate.

True though I'll always mention the Brig, such a great character.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,802
    Good news :

39725863_2124285744495243_3393127019716804608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a3abfdaf865176bbfb91c1249a00b25c&oe=5BFC047F

39583890_2124285184495299_5358291389060743168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4dcc4c800da8c27d9b6c3e1bdcd102f5&oe=5C0B3C0D

And here's Tegan Jovanka's pre-flight (or purchase) safety instructions video :

Speaking of Who, righ t now, I'm watching "The Mysterious Planet", and something came to my mind. Remember that rifle ?

AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

It's used by Sabalom Glitz and his accomplice in the episode. And also by the bad guys in "Revelation of the Daleks", IIRC. And also by the Soviet soldiers in OP. And it makes an appearance in Remo Williams : The Adventure Begins. So, did movie armourers in Britain got a stock that they had to use, no matter how illogical it might seem at the time ?
    Good news :

39725863_2124285744495243_3393127019716804608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a3abfdaf865176bbfb91c1249a00b25c&oe=5BFC047F

39583890_2124285184495299_5358291389060743168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4dcc4c800da8c27d9b6c3e1bdcd102f5&oe=5C0B3C0D

And here's Tegan Jovanka's pre-flight (or purchase) safety instructions video :

Season 12 box-set is just fantastic, liking the look of this one too. Just wish they'd choose a season which I don't have most of the stories on DVD already!
    Again great aesthetics for Davidson's first season, I'll wait for a price drop as his Doctor is not one I tend to revisit often and that season is average for me. Though I do like Kinda, the character Hindle makes this story worth watching.

They really are going with a clean slate for the upcoming series, it's bold though the ideas will be new and fresh.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,894
    To celebrate 20 years of Doctor Who audio adventures, next year, Big Finish are attempting their biggest crossover.

legacy_square_image_large.jpg

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-legacy-of-time

As I started reading that, my heart rate went through the roof. I thought we were getting more lost episodes. Still, a nice find.

As I started reading that, my heart rate went through the roof. I thought we were getting more lost episodes. Still, a nice find.

I thought the same

I thought the same

Ditto - bit of heart lurch then!
    https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2018/08/26/doctor-who-series-11-to-air-on-sundays-beginning-late-september-2018/

I have got used to watching DW on a Saturday, if it does move to Sunday perhaps the viewing figures will increase with less competition?
    It seems to match with what I have deduced from the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine : the next issue will be published on september 20th, and present previews of the first three episodes. As for the change to sundays, we'll see if it will bring ratings up or down.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Ratings will go up considerably in week one. Curiosity value. Maintaining that start is the trick.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Saturday is pretty much exclusively reality TV now. Sunday is a much better fit for it imo.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Ratings will go up considerably in week one. Curiosity value. Maintaining that start is the trick.

True, and to be fair I think the lower ratings during Capaldi's run can at least partly be blamed on the rise of streaming. We barely end up watching anything live anymore in our house. So I doubt they'll ever be as high again as they were in the David Tennant days no matter how popular the show is.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    More here, same guy on twitter - he has amazing photos. His special love is Dr. Who, so here you go:
    BableColour has done a number of DW tributes on Youtube.

Makes me want to go an watch The Invasion.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,270
    Remastered version...

Nicola Bryant's vocals are phenomenal
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,270
    Smith... Doctor John Smith

Brilliant Trailer
    Always have time for a slice of Pertwee, The Sea Devils all the way.
    Always have time for a slice of Pertwee, The Sea Devils all the way.

It's become my favourite era, though the first four Doctors are very close regarding quality of stories.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,802

Interesting title a reworking of the David Bowie film.