SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Fictional places, Dimi? Don't get me started! ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NYC (including Harlem & the UN building- I used to drive deliveries for a computer company to those, and I grew up 40 miles away on Long Island), Vegas in 1976 (and watched DAF on TV there) and 2013, New Orleans in 1976... Dominican Republic a couple of times (does that count? Haiti was right next door)...afraid that's it.
    That's good! Thanks for joining in, @chrisisall. I had only spent one weekend in NYC so I didn't feel I could count that at all.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Been to a few in and around London. The College of arms, MI6 building. Westminster bridge. The door to the abandoned station from DAD. Art gallery steps from SF.
    And of course the famous Lazenby pose in front of the houses of parliament.
    Other than that, been to Paris and of course the Eiffel tower, and along the Seine where some of the taxi raced in AVTAK.
    Was also lucky enough to visit the chateaux of Chantilly as seen in AVTAK. Saw many of the locations as seen in the film. Wonderful place.
    Would love to visit many more. Especially Piz Gloria.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks, Benny! Those are wonderful places you got to visit. Seems you did well in France and London. I definitely want to get to Switzerland some day (Bond & I'm a huge Audrey Hepburn fan).

If anybody has any photos to share, that'd be great. :)

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Let's start with the Obvious:
    Amsterdam. Took me a while to realise one of the bridges I walked on to get from the metro to the office is the 'skinny bridge'. Never saw any floating ladies thankfully. Now I work at a different place but hey.
    Paris, Rome, Venice.
    Then Bregenz, saw the opera stage.
    Florida Keys. Huge dissapointment that we couldn't drive on the old wooden bridge.
    Did see the Hemingway house, only later realising that was in the movie too.

Las Vegas.

London, did see the Vauxhall Cross building and the College of Arms.

Bangkok as well. Didn't go to any of the film locations though.

India, Udaipur. Did go to 'the other' floating palace where Bond actually lands. The one with the women however is a 5 star hotel I couldn't go to, and the monsoon palace I only saw from very far away.
    I think that's it. And if the rumours are true about Bond 25 and Craotia I stand a very good chance of having been to the locations too... :-)

Fictional: I went to Cuba and walked along the Malencon in Havana, where Bond is supposed to walk in DAD, except for the actual filming taking place in Spain.

I'd love to visit Beau Desert, the house Bond stays in in Dr. No and Live and Let Die in Jamaica. Going with Quarrel to the Pushfellar's restaurant. I hope there is a place like that in Jamaica and I do hope to visit there one day.

Very nice, @CommanderRoss! You've been to some lovely, outstanding Bond locations. I wish I could say the same.

I, too, would love to visit Jamaica some day. But Europe is higher priority for me, including Amsterdam.

Florida, including the Keys, I have had my fill of. Not even retiring there, just moving on up north when that happens. Enough mojitos (though I still enjoy them). Yes, I've seen the sunset on Mallory Square, eaten the warm banana bread sold by the singing Conch Republic citizen, been to the Hemingway house and counted the cats' toes and touched his typewriter, heard so many Jimmy Buffet songs to last a few lifetimes (and I used to really like him), and driven the 7 mile bridge way too many times. Still ... my memory of first reading Live and Let Die set in my hometown shines brightly; a shock and very intriguing.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The shock I got there was in the same town, St. Petersburg, but more of what I saw and would never imagine could be the case: an Aston Martin dealership with so many cars they were left out in the open on the parking lot. At the time it was all DB7's.

Well @4Ever, you have Japan! How much a Bond-location do you want to live in?
    I have had Japan. :) It's fab.

It's funny about St. Pete - because back then, when Fleming wrote about it, it was exactly like that. The graveyard where people retired to and died. The shuffleboard being played. The green benches where people just sat. The newspaper being free if the sun didn't shine for 24 hrs. All of that. It has changed, but what a shock I had reading that for the first time. ;)
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 92
    UK- London
    Italy- Rome, Lake Como, Venice
    Germany- Berlin
    France- Paris, Riviera incl. Monaco
    Austria- Vienna
    USA- NY, NOLA, LV, SF
    Brazil- Rio

B-)
    Well, that's pretty great, @united1878! Do you have a favorite, of all those places you visited?

I am truly looking forward to Paris, Rome, and Switerland (I think doable for me within next 3 years).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yes, I've seen that thread; thanks. And I recall Saunders posted a good bit. :)
    I was hoping for some more folks to post here, also.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 92
    Well, that's pretty great, @united1878! Do you have a favorite, of all those places you visited?

I am truly looking forward to Paris, Rome, and Switerland (I think doable for me within next 3 years).

I'm not sure I have a favourite but of the three places you mentioned, I would happily go back to Rome. Just to get lost walking through the old streets again.
    I would also go back to New Orleans in a heartbeat.
    The other country I didn't mention (because it wasn't Bond-related enough) was Spain and I really enjoyed places like Granada, Seville and Barcelona.

The countries I'd like to visit next are Japan, Greece and Turkey.

Thinking about it, a lot of my travels HAVE been Bond-inspired. Travelling for me is an important part of a well lived life. Though it doesn't leave me with much money for other things... ;-)
    well I have been to geece, but with so many islands I ended up on different ones. I've been to Prague and Monte Negro, does that count for CR? It's odd when you'v been to the places they were meant to be but weren't, as they filmed at other locations.
    Forgot about vienna, been there too. Guess I've been to quite a few places by the looks of it.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I have traveled so little compared to some member here. But I love hearing about your trips, especially to Bond locations.

If I were wealthy, I'd take a Bond World Tour. Definitely.
    My itinerary might look something like this. I'd spend several days in each place ~

1) London (but of course), all the main spots
    2) Paris (but of course)
    3) Germany
    4) Amsterdam
    5) Switzerland (for Audrey H., too)
    6) Rome (and other great places in Italy - I'll eat my way through the country quite happily, hopefully will do so in 2020).
    7) Greece
    8) Jamaica
    9) back to London, but also Scotland this trip

That would do me nicely. Yes. What would be your ideal itinerary? :-bd
    My Wife went to London on business... I envy her to this very day. She is no Bond fan, so to her it was just travel to another country that was cool.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    I’m admit I’m guilty of making an effort to visit Bond movie locations. From having a discussion about Moonraker in St. Mark’s square in Venice, visiting Gibraltar in the same year as The Living Daylights was released, to feeling the thrill of stumbling upon the democracy monument (seen in TMWTGG) in Bangkok.

My best experience was visiting Udaipur in India, where much of Octopussy was shot. The place was thick with Bondage: Octopussy’s boat still moored on the lake, we were able to visit the “Lake Palace” (a hotel/restaurant), and taxi drivers claimed they’d been Bond’s driver! By far the best was watching Octopussy while eating in a rooftop restaurant (yep - they were milking their association for what it was worth) and seeing Kanal Khan’s Monsoon Palace on screen, then looking across to the hills and seeing it for real.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Those are great memories, @Thunderballs! Your time in India sounds steeped in 007. Did you visit during the '80s? Just thinking the hype would have been greatest then.

Gibraltar for TLD is cool, but especially since you saw it the same year it was released.

Oh and are you on twitter? Because I follow somebody with your name on twitter who does an outstanding job posting on Bond.
    Oh don't worry @4Ever, I had the same experience now about 3 years ago. Udaipur is famous as a film setting (most recent afak the Second Best(something) Hotel', with Judi Dench, but it's Bond they keep on milking. There are plenty of places to see Octopussy on rooftop bars over there.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Glad to hear Udaipur was still Bond-centric 3 years ago! My visit was in 2000, though I’m sure being there in the 80s would have been crazy!

And I am on Twitter, but under a different name - sorry to disappoint.
    You are not disappointing. :)
    Adding this to our own thread here just because ... well, and it is LONDON.
    Just so long ago ... ;) Beautiful. Please click into it to view this fascinating film.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Adding this to our own thread here just because ... well, and it is LONDON.
    Just so long ago ... ;) Beautiful. Please click into it to view this fascinating film.
    Very cool.
    But... everyone in these moving images is dead now.
    Just kinda makes me feel... transitory...
    It's called history, Chris. :) Doesn't bother me at all, I find it so lovely to see. It actually is about 20 years past my grandmother's time, her childhood in London.
    It's called history, Chris. :) Doesn't bother me at all, I find it so lovely to see. It actually is about 20 years past my grandmother's time, her childhood in London.

We move through history but we cannot possess it...
    chrisisall wrote: »

We move through history but we cannot possess it...
    'Many man have tried my dear Mr. chrisisall'. Tempus fugit, as they say. I love films like that. There's one of my home town (b/w) of 1912, but other then this one from London, my home town hasn't changed much. Except they don't have any trams anymore.

(you can see London used to have them too). On a side note, visiting the London transport museum is definately worthwhile.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Lancaster007
    OHMSS is my favorite Bond flick. I do not understand the hate that some younger fans give this movie. I was glad to see that after 1990 the movie began to get the love and appreciation it deserved. it has been revisited as one of the all time classic Bond adventures. It is highly polished, and I can't wait to see it on blu ray this fall. The snow scenes are beautifully photographed, the action is top notch, the subplot of Bond's falling in love and the downbeat ending makes it the classic it has become.
    I just wish some of the fans in this room would look at it with an open mind and understand that it is a damned good movie.

I hear you there but people have their opinions, and if they are closed minded about it there's not much you can do. For myself, I love the movie (#6 in my personal rankings), but I think aside from the action that Lazenby is terrible. I've been as open minded about it as humanly possible for 40+ years and it wasn't until the last 15 or so that I came to realize how incredible the rest of the film truly is, but my opinion of George likely never will.

As we've spoken of, it's nice to see more people having more appreciation for the Dalton era and LTK as the years have gone by, and someday we'll see more people enjoying all the good things QOS has to offer if one is willing to embrace them.

@4EverBonded , I must say, thanks for suggesting I read this thread. Eloquence, charm, respect— even when differences would arise— articulate and absolute class.

This can teach us all how to behave on this forum.

Sir Henry was passionate but prescient. That must be the second or third reference to QoS he had made, and I think in some circles, we are seeing what he forecast.

Once again, thanks for suggesting this. It’s a wonderful read, educational in both content and behaviour.

P
    edited September 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks, @peter! I am going back and reading our Originals' reviews of all the films, too. It is not only a highly enjoyable read, but it sparks within me different aspects of Bond films that I had not thought of for awhile. Besides which, it's great to hear from those older fans (including me in "older") with personal stories.

On this thread, we have never had the stabbing, angry, "you're so wrong" cutting responses back and forth. And no spam; all meaty. SirHenry established the tone so well. We certainly disagree and have differences. But we enjoyed talking with each other, shared many stories, gave each other encouragement, and some snarky but good-natured humor. I come here also and read the older pages to give myself a lift in these tiresome, impatient (understandable), but often too angry, miserable sounding times.

Since SirHenry's passing, it would have been natural to leave this thread utterly dormant as it is. Most people don't know about it now. For sure, it is a treasure, chock full of great Bond info, insights, and thoughtful opinions. OR we could keep it going a little, knowing full well it will never be the same. We carry on here a bit, from time to time.

I consider this one of the best threads ever, when SirHenry was in charge, from on any Bond forum. The first set of reviews is so great - and I miss many of the members there who are no long joining us, for whatever personal reasons (Kerim, LordFlashheart and quite a few others).

SirHenry also did a second look at each film, with all of us chiming in - and in that set, he included great background info, copied from several sources. So yes, I hope more people would join us here now but also look back into the early pages of this fine thread. It's golden.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It is certainly golden. And earnest and truly great fans (as you and I discussed, the newer posters can be seen passively-aggressively stirring the pot of negativity all day and every day. As one person commented today, some disrespect the site as their own personal twitter account, just like a certain president, lol!).

I would suggest leaving this thread untouched. It’s an archive of great fan writing and respectful discourse.