Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• The way I see it, there's nothing about the character that would be forever ruined for me if Idris Elba does become Bond.
    The things I enjoy about the Bond world - the locations he travels to, the suits he wears, his ability to handle any situation he's in, the thrilling adventures and people he encounters - none of those have to change because the actor has dark skin.

I wonder if some people are bothered by the prospect of a black Bond because they'll feel they can no longer RELATE to the character. That doesn't have to be the case.
    And the argument that "it's not the character that Fleming created" doesn't really hold much water considering how much the character HAS already changed, especially in the last 20 years.

Just my two cents.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    When she says 'door is open' she could very well mean the exit door.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    NicNac wrote: »
    +1
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 693
    united1878 wrote: »
    The way I see it, there's nothing about the character that would be forever ruined for me if Idris Elba does become Bond.
    The things I enjoy about the Bond world - the locations he travels to, the suits he wears, his ability to handle any situation he's in, the thrilling adventures and people he encounters - none of those have to change because the actor has dark skin.

I wonder if some people are bothered by the prospect of a black Bond because they'll feel they can no longer RELATE to the character. That doesn't have to be the case.
    And the argument that "it's not the character that Fleming created" doesn't really hold much water considering how much the character HAS already changed, especially in the last 20 years.

Just my two cents.

Regardless of what one thinks about a Black Bond Idris Elba is too old now.
    Yep the Idris for Bond horse has bolted.

Or shot it’s bolt. Or whatever.

He will clearly never be Bond.

But there should be a black Bond.

They could even reuse the old Goldeneye trailer - “expecting someone else?”
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »

I don’t really understand this sentiment. I’m not against a black Bond, although my preference would be for him to remain roughly as is, but why ‘should’ there be?
    RC7 wrote: »

I don’t really understand this sentiment. I’m not against a black Bond, although my preference would be for him to remain roughly as is, but why ‘should’ there be?

That's what I was wondering.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    united1878 wrote: »
    The way I see it, there's nothing about the character that would be forever ruined for me if Idris Elba does become Bond.

Just my two cents.
    Fair points.

What I find amusing to a degree is after all this time, "the will of a nation" is the only name that keeps coming up. I asked about other potential credible candidates before, and there really appears to be none. So the discussion is somewhat moot.
    barryt007 wrote: »

That's what I was wondering.
    Agreed. There certainly 'could' be a black Bond, but 'should' is not a term I would necessarily use here. I've never been a fan of affirmative action.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I suppose I mean it in the sense that I believe that generally speaking casting should be colour blind. So if there's a young British actor around in 3 or 4 year's time who fits the bill perfectly and happens to be black, then I'd like to think the world is ready for that. I don't mean it in the sense that EON should have a black only short list or that the next actor HAS to be black. Just that it should not be an issue and that given the amount of talented black British actors around at the moment (often having to go to Hollywood to get meaty roles) then it would be nice if EON showed they don't have to cross the Atlantic to get proper parts.

The Fleming purity argument doesn't hold much water. If we can accept a woman as M (and I think we all have) then what possible reason is there for getting your knickers in a twist about a black Bond? I agree that it opens up all kinds of questions about who this character is and what he stands for, but tbh, Bond is big enough and old enough now to take that in its stride I think. Fleming's Bond was probably a bit of a racist, but that dimension was already heavily diluted in Connery's Bond and has become ever less evident up to the present day.

Isn't Fleming's Bond a bit of a social outsider? He's from a smart background but not super posh or super wealthy. He's on the edge of elite society, looking in often. There are many ways in which this concept of the character would suit casting with a black actor. It doesn't have to be heavy handed and I don't think a huge point would have to be made about him being black, but there are interesting games that could be played.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I suppose I mean it in the sense that I believe that generally speaking casting should be colour blind. So if there's a young British actor around in 3 or 4 year's time who fits the bill perfectly and happens to be black, then I'd like to think the world is ready for that. I don't mean it in the sense that EON should have a black only short list or that the next actor HAS to be black. Just that it should not be an issue and that given the amount of talented black British actors around at the moment (often having to go to Hollywood to get meaty roles) then it would be nice if EON showed they don't have to cross the Atlantic to get proper parts.
    When this discussion was in full swing some years back, I commented that I believe a talented and capable black actor certainly should be allowed to at least audition for the part. If he blew the team away and stood above the rest, then they'll have a tough choice to make.

There are still other considerations imho, including global box office pull. Black Panther may have been a massive hit and decimated any fears stateside, but Bond still makes the majority of its moola overseas.

The chances of there being that one black actor who really is that much better than all the other candidates for this coveted role is rather slim just on a probability basis, but if that situation ever transpired, then in fairness they may have to go for it.
    Idris Elba as M.
    That wouldn't be a bad choice.
    I think Idris would be brilliant as a fellow '00',on a mission with Bond for part of the film.
    Only if he's a major character. He's too big a personality to just play a walk on part. He'd steal the scene. It's a shame British casting directors have not embraced him more. Like a lot of black British actors he had to go to the US to get a break. An underutilised talent.

Although I don't think he's ever topped his performance as Stringer Bell. Awesome.
    Only if he's a major character. He's too big a personality to just play a walk on part. He'd steal the scene. It's a shame British casting directors have not embraced him more. Like a lot of black British actors he had to go to the US to get a break. An underutilised talent.
    You know, I think it could work. After all, Cavill is a big enough name and he was just great working opposite Cruise in Fallout. In a way, his fame gave the megawatt charisma Cruise someone to spar with nicely.
    Elba was great as Stringer Bell. He's too big to play a sidekick. With a few extra pounds he'd play a great Mr Big/Gallia.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    God, not another DB5 origins story, please!!!

Although I don't think he's ever topped his performance as Stringer Bell. Awesome.

He is excellent as 'Luther' and has even made another series,coming soon.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Idris Elba as M.
    That wouldn't be a bad choice.

It's be a great choice! Keeps him in acting for ten films. He has that authoritative vibe to go as Bond's superior. I'm imagining some scenes where he might get taken hostage, put up a few fights. He could even be the original owner of an Aston Martin that Bond takes a liking to once he's signed up to the MI6.

I can see him as an authoritative M, for sure. Almost makes me think of Dennis Haysbert as President David Palmer in 24.
    I've been giving some thought to this.

The reason Elba's name keeps coming up is because, apart from his skin colour (before any one has a go, I'm a traditionalist and not the other "ist") and age, he would make a perfect James Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »

The reason Elba's name keeps coming up is because, apart from his skin colour (before any one has a go, I'm a traditionalist and not the other "ist") and age, he would make a perfect James Bond.

He certainly is a good actor, and tick a lot of the boxes. Could be fantastic in a different spy/action franchise I think.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »

He certainly is a good actor, and tick a lot of the boxes. Could be fantastic in a different spy/action franchise I think.

+++++++++1

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,034
    I would have liked to have seen a sequel to THE TAKE (known in other regions as BASTILLE DAY), with Elba returning.
    I would have liked to have seen a sequel to THE TAKE (known in other regions as BASTILLE DAY), with Elba returning.

Haven't watched that one yet!
    Elba has charisma but his acting is mostly just his "personality". He probably wouldn't play Bond as much as just do what he always does and get praise for it, we don't have many standards for our stars right now (Chris Pratt, Ryan Reynolds), but that doesn't mean we should get a current star as Bond over someone who would inhabit the role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That's the burning question I have every time I see an article saying "it's time" for a black Bond. Well, why? And as others have echoed, why is it "time" then for a black Bond but not, say, an Asian Bond or Spanish Bond?
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    NicNac wrote: »
    +1

+2