No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,043
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I just feel that DC backlash has been growing momentum since those that disliked SF and couldn't understand it's positive word of mouth, that being said it got nothing like MI 6 is now getting, that's more like TDK, possibly the most acclaimed blockbuster since then it seems.
    Stop rewriting history. Skyfall was a cultural phenomenon across the globe and it became the seventh highest grossing movie of all time (worldwide). Sure, MI6 got a little bit better reviews (86 vs 81 on metacritic) but it's nowhere near the penomenon Skyfall was.

I don't like it either but lets see when the MI 6 dies down, maybe it won't gross as high as SF but critically you've not seen a blockbuster grab these kind of reviews since TDK.

I'm not even on the MI 6 train because of my dislike of Cruise, Bond never gets across the board great reviews, critics always might prasie it to a degree, it's great but there's this or there's that, something will always stop it getting the notices that MI 6 is getting. Even the likes of Goldfinger are rated as they in retrospect.

Although Bond is kind of critic proof which it has that going for it, MI 6 is really benefiting off these reviews, people will go an see Bond regardless of the reviews.

I fully aware the phenomenon that was SF although some people on this forum like to try and play it down because it suits their agenda.
    but critically you've not seen a blockbuster grab these kind of reviews since TDK.
    Mad Max: Fury Road.

Seriously, the critical reception os M:I 6 is not miles above the critical reception Skyfall received. Numerically it's a tiny bit better (86 vs 81 on metacritic), and if you look behind the numbers, you could argue Fallout's critical reception is worse than Skyfall's was. Remember, it's Skyfall's critical reception + cultural phenomenon status that propelled it to 5 Academy Award nominations. There is no way Fallout will get nominated for 5 Oscars.
    Benny wrote: »
    On a side note, I often see members refer to the Craig films as Babs and Co or that Barbara Broccoli made this decision, or Babs did that.
    Does Michael G Wilson not figure? Is it not possible that he championed some of the more unpopular choices made be EON in recent years. I find the blame for Babs to be a little over the top at times. I could be wrong.
    Michael G Wilson is obviously the Co. @Benny. Also, we’ve been led to believe that it’s been mostly Barbara Broccoli calling the shots over her colleagues, especially regarding the casting of Craig. Wilson, I believe, favoured Cavill along with Martin Campbell for CR, but were both overruled by Barbara, who clearly had final say. Most recently, it is believed that Michael G has taken more of a backseat role due to age and perhaps illness. Therefore, it’s only natural that Babs be considered the acting figurehead.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    but critically you've not seen a blockbuster grab these kind of reviews since TDK.

Seriously, the critical reception os M:I 6 is not miles above the critical reception Skyfall received. Numerically it's a tiny bit better (86 vs 81 on metacritic), and if you look behind the numbers, you could argue Fallout's critical reception is worse than Skyfall's was. Remember, it's Skyfall's critical reception + cultural phenomenon status that propelled it to 5 Academy Award nominations. There is no way Fallout will get nominated for 5 Oscars.

Never say never again

The metracritic scores have no relevance on the Oscars. The Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences has 6,261 voting members. The entire body votes for best picture. Nominations for most of the remaining categories are determined by the balloting of the academy's various branches. Maybe you’re confusing The Critics' Choice Movie Awards (formerly known as the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award) with how the Oscar nominations are decided?

Or Black Panther, etc etc. MI:6 doesn't live and die by reviews, really, but they do help. I do agree that Skyfall was a bigger cultural phenomenon than MI:6. Some of that is down to timing, too - the Olympics, etc, but Bond also simply draws on a much longer history and deeper cultural well than MI does.
    I'm rather impressed by Manu Bennett. If the henchman role is written for a Maori actor, he'd be terrific. He even has a scar by his eye which surely makes him perfect for any Bond villain role.

shannara-manu-bennett-672x372.jpg
    2C9B2A8C00000578-3243521-image-a-32_1442850500330.jpg

octofinger wrote: »

Or Black Panther, etc etc. MI:6 doesn't live and die by reviews, really, but they do help. I do agree that Skyfall was a bigger cultural phenomenon than MI:6. Some of that is down to timing, too - the Olympics, etc, but Bond also simply draws on a much longer history and deeper cultural well than MI does.

I wonder how much impact the Olympics had on SF box office performance. Couldn't hurt the UK numbers.
    I'm rather impressed by Manu Bennett. If the henchman role is written for a Maori actor, he'd be terrific. He even has a scar by his eye which surely makes him perfect for any Bond villain role.

Is it just me or does he look like the henchman in Nightfire
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Risico007 wrote: »

Is it just me or does he look like the henchman in Nightfire

Yes! You’re thinking of Armitage Rook. He looks like him very much.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    There's some resemblance. Some. But, Manu Bennett looks more upbeat.

Rook is plain menacing.

latest?cb=20160606113524

This, on the other hand, is Rook. ;)

MV5BMTcyNDU3MjQ1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI3OTkzMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,808,1000_AL_.jpg
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    bondsum wrote: »

The metracritic scores have no relevance on the Oscars. The Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences has 6,261 voting members. The entire body votes for best picture. Nominations for most of the remaining categories are determined by the balloting of the academy's various branches. Maybe you’re confusing The Critics' Choice Movie Awards (formerly known as the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award) with how the Oscar nominations are decided?
    Seriously? Okay. I will explain what I meant. Just for you. When it comes to the Oscars, reviews do matter, especially when it comes to Oscar chances to big spectacles such as Skyfall and M:I Fallout. So yes, metracritic scores DO have a relevance on the Oscars.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just feel that DC backlash has been growing momentum since those that disliked SF and couldn't understand it's positive word of mouth, that being said it got nothing like MI 6 is now getting, that's more like TDK, possibly the most acclaimed blockbuster since then it seems.
    Stop rewriting history. Skyfall was a cultural phenomenon across the globe and it became the seventh highest grossing movie of all time (worldwide). Sure, MI6 got a little bit better reviews (86 vs 81 on metacritic) but it's nowhere near the penomenon Skyfall was.

Don't kid yourself. Skyfall's phenomena wasn't down to the movie alone. There were other major contributing factors; the obvious one being the Olympics segment. MI:Fallout relied only on itself as a film and the star power of its leading actor. Tom Cruise is bigger than Ethan Hunt and any Bond actor for that matter.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    doubleoego wrote: »

Don't kid yourself. Skyfall's phenomena wasn't down to the movie alone. There were other major contributing factors; the obvious one being the Olympics segment. MI:Fallout relied only on itself as a film and the star power of its leading actor. Tom Cruise is bigger than Ethan Hunt and any Bond actor for that matter.

Not to mention the goodwill they had slowly built through successive entertaining entries.
  • RC7RC7

SF was a phenomenon because it resonated with a huge number of people across a broad demographic. The Olympics connection is overstated.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »

SF was a phenomenon because it resonated with a huge number of people across a broad demographic. The Olympics connection is overstated.

I daresay almost non-existing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

It definitely resonated with a large number of people but at the same time, based on my experience and interactions with people it was the Olympics and heavy push of the 50th anniversary that ushered the film to achieve the reception and status it got.
  • RC7RC7

It definitely resonated with a large number of people but at the same time, based on my experience and interactions with people it was the Olympics and heavy push of the 50th anniversary that ushered the film to achieve the reception and status it got.

I don’t really see any significant evidence for that. The numbers it did were down to positive word of mouth and repeat viewings. The film itself did the heavy lifting.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I don’t really see any significant evidence for that. The numbers it did were down to positive word of mouth and repeat viewings. The film itself did the heavy lifting.

Absolutely agree with you @RC7 ... especially outside of the UK, I can't see how much pull that opening had for people to go and see SF-- and repeatedly...

It was strongly marketed. It hit a large swath of important demographics, who then went back for more and more viewings.

I would say the Olympics had little or nothing to do with the box office numbers.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Let's not forget the 4 year gap too. People were just desperate for a new Bond film at that point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Murdock wrote: »
    Let's not forget the 4 year gap too. People were just desperate for a new Bond film at that point.

Agreed @Murdock, the wait probably had a more significant role than the opening at the Olympics had.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    @Benny, your earlier comments on comparing MI films to Bond films is spot on.

Just catching up here now. I agree with @RC7 and @Peter re Skyfall. It was a tremendous global hit. Its success really was not due to the Olympics fervor.

Red_Snow wrote: »
    The NZ actors who could be James Bond's nemesis
    spy.nzherald.co.nz/spy-news/the-nz-actors-who-could-be-james-bonds-nemesis/

Just who will play the Māori henchman in the new James Bond movie, Bond 25, is the hot topic for actors and their agents in New Zealand at the moment.

Spy understands the movie’s director, Danny Boyle of Trainspotting fame, will be selecting the actor personally. But initial casting calls have not officially gone out, nor has the embargoed script.

The Māori supporting role is for a male aged between 35 and 55, with advanced physical, fighting and stage combat skills.

The characteristics require him to be “authoritative, cunning, ruthless and loyal”. It is also understood Boyle is not necessarily looking for a marquee name, and New Zealand and Australia are both being combed for talent.

Industry insiders are ruling out two of New Zealand’s most well known leading men, citing Temuera Morrison as two years too old and Cliff Curtis as unlikely to be available, given his commitments for the filming of the new Avatar movie.

We hear Shortland Street actor Ben Mitchell and Westside’s Xavier Horan have already sent out video auditions. Both have extensive martial arts training; Horan most recently for his role last year in thriller 6 Days. Spy believes both are more than capable of kick-boxing a martini out of Bond’s hands.

The most obvious name in the mix is Manu Bennett, who has the stunt experience — most recently from his role as Slade on US TV series Arrow. Bennett tells Spy it is too early for him to comment.

Human Traces actor Vinnie Bennett, Westside’s Pana Hema Taylor and Meg star Rob Kipa-Williams are also in the NZ Top 7.

The name Spy has heard bandied around the most is former Outrageous Fortune star Kirk Torrance.

Well, this sounds like a bigger henchman role than I first thought. Interesting.
    Really like the idea of a Maori henchman. It seems that the days of Grant clones are finally gone.
    It sounds great to me. And some location work in NZ (though I don't mind the bulk of the film there). It's a beautiful country.

As long as it doesn't have Bond holed up in one of the Hobbit houses, a la Skyfall but called ShireFall, I can dig NZ. ;)
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,272
    It sounds great to me. And some location work in NZ (though I don't mind the bulk of the film there). It's a beautiful country.

As long as it doesn't have Bond holed up in one of the Hobbit houses, a la Skyfall but called ShireFall, I can dig NZ. ;)

giphy.gif
    Shire Another Day, The Shire Is Not Enough, Tomorrow Never Shires, Goldenshire, Licence To Shire, A View to a Shire, Octoshire, For Your Shire Only, etc…
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Really like the idea of a Maori henchman. It seems that the days of Grant clones are finally gone.
    Well, just as long as they haven't replaced Grant with the forgettable Mr. Kil as inspiration. Lawrence Makoare was the last Maori henchman we had.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    haha!! @Torgeirtrap! ;) Oh, and From Shire With Love ...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    FWIW:

Google search for "James Bond": 68 million hits
    Google search for "Ethan Hunt": 4 million hits

Ethan Hunt has a long, long way to go
    haha!! @Torgeirtrap! ;) Oh, and From Shire With Love ...

A hobbit romance film? :))
    Thundershire and Moonshire aren't bad ones either, I guess! Funny how changing the titles slightly makes you think of some very strange plotlines. Is there a thread for this?