Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    It does sound largely flaccid. A good excuse if you fail to pull.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem is that there are so many # causes popping up that the only way to not offend one is to never open your mouth
    For the record. I think his initial statement was spot on and reasonably voiced; his apology was a pandering response to “backlash “
    Either way I don’t see it affecting EON ‘s decision.

He said something very dumb. His proven wooden acting is what would affect their decision.
    And what was it that he said was very dumb? He didn't make any sort of "rape" comments.

Just on the social media alone, whether on the Cavill official pages or the Mission: Impossible official posts, a lot of women are commenting on how it is that they want to see the movie because of Cavill.
    I'm not not sure what you mean by ""rape" comments" but this is the exact quote “It’s very difficult to do that if there are certain rules in place. Because then it’s like ‘Well, I don’t want to go up and talk to her, because I’m going to be called a rapist or something"
    And that's not true how? Is he telling a lie?

Is what a lie or truth?
    What he said. The quote you just posted. Is he not telling the truth?

And seriously, he didn't even offend anybody with that comment, nor attacked anybody directly or indirectly. It's beyond me how that comment of his is classified as "dumb".

Is it the truth that he'll get called a rapist for talking to someone? Uhh, no, that's not known to happened. Also I never said it was offensive, it's still dumb.
    A friend of mine, just because he told a girl he knows she's beautiful, her friend stepped in to accuse him of trying to sexually harass her. And this was just a month ago.

Not known to happen because people love to cover their ears.

I could go on all day.

So, it still begs the question, how is it again "dumb"?
    It's possible your friend the liar here, as that doesn't sound credible.
    You're very quick to assume he's a liar. I wonder.
    I never assume. Go on wondering, sounds nice.
    So you accuse. Must be really nice.

I used the word "possible", if you pay attention.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Throwing in the word “possible” is an insincere tactic , while making an accusation, to setup a fallback shelter , and plausible deniability of that accusation. It’s clear you’re not earnestly suggesting a possibility.
    Throwing in the word “possible” is an insincere tactic , while making an accusation, to setup a fallback shelter , and plausible deniability of that accusation. It’s clear you’re not earnestly suggesting a possibility.

You can assume what you want, but I only write what I mean.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Knock it off and don't get personal. This is about Bond actors, nothing more. If you don't like a suggestion very well, no need to start arguments with other users.
    If that was the case, you would have said, ‘ I think he’s lying ‘; it clear you do. Don’t hide behind “possible”
    If that was the case, you would have said, ‘ I think he’s lying ‘; it clear you do. Don’t hide behind “possible”

That's what you would have said.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Knock it off and don't get personal. This is about Bond actors, nothing more. If you don't like a suggestion very well, no need to start arguments with other users.

I'm totally fine with this entire conversation being deleted.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,344
    Jesus! I just watched a football match and expected the fifteen new comments to have something to do about casting/candidates, but, no… WOW!

Was Cavill's comment stupid? Yes. But at the same time, we've heard lot worse from many (more) prominent actors regarding other or similar topics before. Can't see how that comment should affect his chances of becoming Bond (if he is on the radar, that is).
  • TheSamePassionsTheSamePassions Monte Carlo
    The problem is that there are so many # causes popping up that the only way to not offend one is to never open your mouth
    For the record. I think his initial statement was spot on and reasonably voiced; his apology was a pandering response to “backlash “

He said something very dumb. His proven wooden acting is what would affect their decision.
    And what was it that he said was very dumb? He didn't make any sort of "rape" comments.

Just on the social media alone, whether on the Cavill official pages or the Mission: Impossible official posts, a lot of women are commenting on how it is that they want to see the movie because of Cavill.
    I'm not not sure what you mean by ""rape" comments" but this is the exact quote “It’s very difficult to do that if there are certain rules in place. Because then it’s like ‘Well, I don’t want to go up and talk to her, because I’m going to be called a rapist or something"

Is what a lie or truth?

And seriously, he didn't even offend anybody with that comment, nor attacked anybody directly or indirectly. It's beyond me how that comment of his is classified as "dumb".

Is it the truth that he'll get called a rapist for talking to someone? Uhh, no, that's not known to happened. Also I never said it was offensive, it's still dumb.
    A friend of mine, just because he told a girl he knows she's beautiful, her friend stepped in to accuse him of trying to sexually harass her. And this was just a month ago.

I could go on all day.

You haven't seen that convo, you have here two people that have.
    But I'm not surprised for these kind of people to believe what they want to believe.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Is what a lie or truth?

I could go on all day.

You haven't seen that convo, you have here two people that have.
    But I'm not surprised for these kind of people to believe what they want to believe.
    It’s all in the pursuit of an agenda. ;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Jesus! I just watched a football match and expected the fifteen new comments to have something to do about casting/candidates, but, no… WOW!

Was Cavill's comment stupid? Yes. But at the same time, we've heard lot worse from many (more) prominent actors regarding other or similar topics before. Can't see how that comment should affect his chances of becoming Bond (if he is on the radar, that is).

Of course he is. He was almost Bond in 2006, only didn't get it due to age (reportedly). He's essentially in the same spot that Dalton was in 1969, only difference being that Dalton himself refused because HE felt he was too young.
    He has been closer to the role than any other suggestion here.

Obviously ten years on, everything might have changed, but him not being on EoN's radar should be out of the question.
    Glad to see you here, @TheSamePassions. Welcome to the forums. :D

Thanks, mate! Hope it's a pleaseant stay!
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,344
    00Agent wrote: »

Of course he is. He was almost Bond in 2006, only didn't get it due to age (reportedly). He's essentially in the same spot that Dalton was in 1969, only difference being that Dalton himself refused because HE felt he was too young.
    He has been closer to the role than any other suggestion here.

Obviously ten years on, everything might have changed, but him not being on EoN's radar should be out of the question.

That's true. What is known of him almost landing the role back then, other than the age issue? Can't remember having heard/read anything in interviews from Cavill about it.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,010
    Some say , as a given, that Cavill’s statement was stupid; I went back and re-read it and find it candid and relevant in an age where the bar for what is considered a transgression is being lowered almost daily.
    Chances are none of us here will ever experience the level of fame that Henry Cavill enjoys. It’s one that comes with pitfalls in many forms . His statement was based on his level of fame and the present climate created by the extreme elements of movements like #metoo.
    Cavill was candid and made a valid point that is in no way stupid.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Some say , as a given, that Cavill’s statement was stupid; I went back and re-read it and find it candid and relevant in an age where the bar for what is considered a transgression is being lowered almost daily.
    Chances are none of us here will ever experience the level of fame that Henry Cavill enjoys. It’s one that comes with pitfalls in many forms . His statement was based on his level of fame and the present climate created by the extreme elements of movements like #metoo.

Well i agree with you, and from Cavills perspective even using a word like 'rape' isn't far fetched, because he as an actor will immediately be lumped together with Weinstein and the likes if any accusation (no matter how harmless it may be) arises. People don't wait for facts anymore. They just #Assassinate you.

We have all seen and read the articles that basically start like "After Weinstein, and Spacey new accusations arise out of Hollywood against xxx actor..." I still don't even know if Morgan Freeman has a career left or not.

So yeah, i don't want to be in his shoes, no way jose. I like my anonymity.
    The Money would be nice though.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If you don't mind, please return to the topic of future Bond actors. Thanks.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512

His statement isn’t stupid per se, it’s the fact he mentions ‘rape’. He simply doesn’t articulate his point well enough, which you need to if you’re engaging with reactionary idiots, otherwise don’t bother.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 707
    My first bet would be Michael Fassbender. Other than that, I think Cavill looks the part - he just needs to be roughed up a bit.
    My first bet would be Michael Fassbender. Other than that, I think Cavill looks the part - he just needs to be roughed up a bit.
    I believe his MI experience has done that. :D

You need to see MI: Fallout, he gets pretty roughed up in it!

You know what? It seems to me that there are those that dislike Cavill so much that they will use anything in their ammunition or power to discredit him. Ooh, he said something that offended a couple of people on the poxy social media. Big friggin deal! When someone points out that Connery himself said something far worse about some women needing a good slap just prior to TB’s release, it’s apparently considered classy. Give it a rest already, please. Cavill’s comment has already blown over and it was a storm in a teacup compared to Connery’s infamous Playboy interview. Move along, there’s nothing to be had here.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well said @bondsum. :-bd
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    bondsum wrote: »
    You know what? It seems to me that there are those that dislike Cavill so much that they will use anything in their ammunition or power to discredit him. Ooh, he said something that offended a couple of people on the poxy social media. Big friggin deal! When someone points out that Connery himself said something far worse about some women needing a good slap just prior to TB’s release, it’s apparently considered classy. Give it a rest already, please. Cavill’s comment has already blown over and it was a storm in a teacup compared to Connery’s infamous Playboy interview. Move along, there’s nothing to be had here.

I agree.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512

The list of reasons @Pierce2Daniel put forward was actually pretty accurate. It appears that the sticking point in the thread is this ill-informed rape comment, which is convenient because it draws the conversation away from what really matters - that the guy doesn’t have the chops, charisma or wit to pull it off.

To the vast majority of us the comment carries no weight, but it’s one of a number of instances that single him out as being a very naive, immature bloke who has neither the savvy nor intelligence to avoid these sorts of situations nor does he have the conviction to counter them. He comes across as a bumbling public schoolboy who’s still wet behind the ears. That’s not who I personally want as an ambassador for Bond but others are welcome to him if that’s their thang.

After all, if you’re bringing jack all to the table in terms of ability, just a mere generic Bondian ‘look’, the least you can do is hold court with the press.

As for those using ‘anything in their power to discredit him’, I think you’re being a tad melodramatic don’t you? @Pierce2Daniel put forward a largely comprehensive list of reasons the guy is unsuitable and states the obvious fact that beyond the aesthetics there’s not a lot to get behind and a lot more to put one off.
    tumblr_nxvy8wd2Tu1qbqad4o2_500.gif
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Henry Cavill is a damp squib.

Sure, he's pretty. Sure, he looks like he could be James Bond. But in exactly the way vanilla and boring way that Pierce Brosnan suited the part.

Cavill is just wrong for the role. His persona is so laboured and cringeworthy. His disastrous PR skills will pretty much grind his entire career to a halt any day now.

He's also a horrible actor. An uncharacteristic piece of wood that has the range of toothbrush. He'd be a HUGE step down after Craig.

In the last few years, he has:

- Appeared in numerous poor DC films giving bad performances as Superman.
    - He isn't a box office draw with all his movies underperforming (even the Superman films).
    - He can't book a good role in pretty much anything. His next film is called 'Nomis' - what even is that? He's Superman, his agent can surely get him better gigs.
    - He's a conservative working in the very liberal Hollywood which hasn't helped him.
    - He's spoken out against the #MeToo movement (which is the dumbest thing anyone in Hollywood could do right now if they want to be employed).
    - He admitted he only does films for money and has no regard for the art.
    - He had a weird thing a few years ago when he was dating a seventeen-year-old and had to publicly defend himself.
    - His personality sucks. He'd kill the Bond press tour and everyone would hate him.

This guy just isn't what Eon need after Daniel Craig quits. However, he really looks the part. I mean, you'd struggle to find a picture of Cavill not looking Bondian.

maxresdefault.jpg

However, I don't think that means anything. After all, Craig looked very unBondian up until 2006. You just need the potential.

gallery-1487242013-danielcraigbond.jpg

It's all personal opinion but I feel Brosnan had the smug charm and twinkle in his eye quality that made him ideal for the part. In some episodes of Remington Steeel he was charm personified. Back in the 1980s Brosnan was referred to a Cary Grant type actor. If anything Brosnan had a slightly arrogant air which Cavill lacks. I always thought Roger Moore had an arrogant smug quality to his acting (The Saint, Bond) which is what you want from your actor. Connery had it, Lazenby had it. Dalton was a bit different, arguably more of an intense kind of guy rather than overly arrogant. Cavill seems a bit too nice (and niceness can be categorized as blandness?) which makes him more appropriate for Superman than James Bond?

If Cavill can truly pull off Bond's arrogant charm then yep, he's worth considering. Can he really pull it off? Not sure.
  • RC7RC7
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Sure, he's pretty. Sure, he looks like he could be James Bond. But in exactly the way vanilla and boring way that Pierce Brosnan suited the part.

Cavill is just wrong for the role. His persona is so laboured and cringeworthy. His disastrous PR skills will pretty much grind his entire career to a halt any day now.

He's also a horrible actor. An uncharacteristic piece of wood that has the range of toothbrush. He'd be a HUGE step down after Craig.

- He isn't a box office draw with all his movies underperforming (even the Superman films).
    - He can't book a good role in pretty much anything. His next film is called 'Nomis' - what even is that? He's Superman, his agent can surely get him better gigs.
    - He's a conservative working in the very liberal Hollywood which hasn't helped him.
    - He's spoken out against the #MeToo movement (which is the dumbest thing anyone in Hollywood could do right now if they want to be employed).
    - He had a weird thing a few years ago when he was dating a seventeen-year-old and had to publicly defend himself.
    - His personality sucks. He'd kill the Bond press tour and everyone would hate him.

This guy just isn't what Eon need after Daniel Craig quits. However, he really looks the part. I mean, you'd struggle to find a picture of Cavill not looking Bondian.

maxresdefault.jpg

However, I don't think that means anything. After all, Craig looked very unBondian up until 2006. You just need the potential.

It's all personal opinion but I feel Brosnan had the smug charm and twinkle in his eye quality that made him ideal for the part. In some episodes of Remington Steeel he was charm personified. Back in the 1980s Brosnan was referred to a Cary Grant type actor. If anything Brosnan had a slightly arrogant air which Cavill lacks. I always thought Roger Moore had an arrogant smug quality to his acting (The Saint, Bond) which is what you want from your actor. Connery had it, Lazenby had it. Dalton was a bit different, arguably more of an intense kind of guy rather than overly arrogant. Cavill seems a bit too nice (and niceness can be categorized as blandness?) which makes him more appropriate for Superman than James Bond?

If Cavill can truly pull off Bond's arrogant charm then yep, he's worth considering. Can he really pull it off? Not sure.

Agreed. Brosnan had way more in his locker than Cavill. There’s a vacancy about Cavill - you can even see it in that gif above.
    +1
    barryt007 wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg

Ow,that's a bit below the belt isn't it.
    I know its your opinion but that's almost hate mail against Cavill.

lol

Cheers pal, I'm sure Henry Cavill feels personally assaulted by the comments of a nobody on the internet.

I like Henry Cavill, I think he's a gorgeous man with a perfect face. I just don't think he should play the part of Bond.

I do agree that you don't have to be a 'great' actor to play Bond. But I fel there are better choices. If they wanted to go in the direction of a more classical Bond, than there are better options then boring old Henry Cavill.
    RC7 wrote: »

The list of reasons @Pierce2Daniel put forward was actually pretty accurate. It appears that the sticking point in the thread is this ill-informed rape comment, which is convenient because it draws the conversation away from what really matters - that the guy doesn’t have the chops, charisma or wit to pull it off.

To the vast majority of us the comment carries no weight, but it’s one of a number of instances that single him out as being a very naive, immature bloke who has neither the savvy nor intelligence to avoid these sorts of situations nor does he have the conviction to counter them. He comes across as a bumbling public schoolboy who’s still wet behind the ears. That’s not who I personally want as an ambassador for Bond but others are welcome to him if that’s their thang.

After all, if you’re bringing jack all to the table in terms of ability, just a mere generic Bondian ‘look’, the least you can do is hold court with the press.

As for those using ‘anything in their power to discredit him’, I think you’re being a tad melodramatic don’t you? @Pierce2Daniel put forward a largely comprehensive list of reasons the guy is unsuitable and states the obvious fact that beyond the aesthetics there’s not a lot to get behind and a lot more to put one off.

@RC7 Perfect post! I couldn't agree with you more.

I couldn't care less about Cavill's "Me Too" comments. Personally, I actually do agree with what he intended to say.

The issue I have is that he voiced them so publicly. He's an actor who's under-delivered in the Superman role and currently is out promoting his supporting role in a Mission Impossible movie (make no mistake, not many people are rushing out to see Cavill this weekend but Tom Cruise doing awesome stunts). Then he makes stupid boneheaded comments which pretty much renders him unemployable.

His disastrous press tour for Batman v Superman even led to articles:
    https://jezebel.com/henry-cavills-press-tour-for-batman-v-superman-has-been-1765323349

This article is hilarious - mainly as the quotes from Cavill are a perfect summation of white middle-class angst. This dude makes me cringe.

However, I feel we are all overlooking the most important thing here. You can't play two established cinematic icons.

Superman can't be James Bond.

landscape_movies-man-of-steel-henry-cavill-flying.jpg