CLOSED

Comments

royale65 wrote: »
    In other news, Greek wildfires claiming 60 plus; acid attacks in the U.K, including one on a three year old boy and a hydro-electric dam has collapsed in Laos.

Unfortunately its hard for me to keep with changing the title to this thread with things happening all at the same time.

The weather has gone mad and so have the people !
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I know Bazza. The news has gone rather loopy. Or should that read tragic recently. At least the Thai footballers are on the mend -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44933744
    royale65 wrote: »
    I know Bazza. The news has gone rather loopy. Or should that read tragic recently. At least the Thai footballers are on the mend -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44933744

Indeed,some good news in the floods of bad,something to cling on to !
    The fact that this time it is someone of an apparent arabic decent is in fact very surprising. What is it, 15-20 shootings in a row now in North America with some deranged white man before this?
    The final tally in the Danforth shooting spree is two dead, 10 yr old girl and 18 yr old female teen, plus 13 others shot and injured assuming they all survive.
    There are media reports today that the shooter was radicalized, was known to police and there was concern anout websites he was visiting.
    Nothing officially confirmed of course by police, but one law enforcement source says "files being reviewed by police include concern Hussain expressed "support" for a website that was seen as "pro-ISIL
    "Sources say police in Toronto and CSIS officials in Ottawa, as well as the RCMP, are looking into his past which sources say include his residence in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
    "Hussain apparently had been spoken-to by authorities about his online activities. Sources say Toronto Police, the OPP and the RCMP have all had an interest in the now-deceased shooter"

It seems to me any large urban centre is at constant risk, of not only the usual criminal gunplay spilling out of the known crime areas and into the broader city streets parks restaurants etc, but also radicalized cells, individuals or other nutters unleashing violence on the general public.
    Proactive, well funded law enforcement I think is what is needed for the streets to be as safe as possible.
    You want police highly visible and engaing the public, in schools, the streets, communities etc
    This will probably be a top-of-list municipal election issue in the fall. NYC got itself cleaned up. Toronto as 3rd largest urban centre in USA-Canada behind only NYC and LA
    (I think we have caught Chicago) needs to be vigilant.
    Fleming did tell us Toronto was a tough town when Bond visited, tracking Spectre agents in TSWLM.
    Fleming was talking about dangerous criminal gangs that men like Bond might encounter, but now we are seeing shootouts in the streets as the criminal element becomes emboldened, not to mention the radicalized element.

Mind you I think Fleming liked to lay it on a bit, as he needed to up danger element for Bond, but still his ominous tone now seems prophetic.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2018 Posts: 12,459
    That's true, @jobo.

And yes, I think most large cities, cosmopolitan areas are more potential targets compared to other places.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    jobo wrote: »
    The fact that this time it is someone of an apparent arabic decent is in fact very surprising. What is it, 15-20 shootings in a row now in North America with some deranged white man before this?

Sorry - doesn't fit the narrative.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 7,506
    jobo wrote: »

Sorry - doesn't fit the narrative.

Yes it does. Perfectly. Someone rather cheekily claimed he was not at all surprised the name if the scooter was arabic.

He should be.
    Wildfires above the arctic circle ... there are widespread catastrophes happening from scorching temperatures this summer
    If a forest in England ignites we will go exactly the same way ,re the damage not hopefully the death toll x we are dry as a bone over here x see my 007 Weather Channel thread for the satellite photo !!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Forest fires are a natural occurence, and they do a lot of good.
    Well, there is news of a substantial nature regarding Trump, so let me post just a few items here. Maybe many of you have already heard this tape that was just released by Michael Cohen's lawyer. It was played on CNN.

I have noticed that the same papers who have been demonizing Putin for being on friendly terms with Iran, are now condemning Trump for being hostile towards them.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Thunderfinger I'm seeing a pattern with you pretending to be simple-minded in an attempt to get negative attention. I wish you would stop; It's becoming annoying.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger I'm seeing a pattern with you pretending to be simple-minded in an attempt to get negative attention. I wish you would stop; It's becoming annoying.

What did I do now? This is an observation I have made.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

What did I do now? This is an observation I have made.

And @chris made an observation as well. Here is an observation from me: Donald Trump appears to be a traitor to the USA. Now, what does that make anyone who enables him -- a fellow traitor, or just a useful idiot?
    His latest tweet shows him for the all-out full-on fascist that he is. Do not trust you own eyes, only ME.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    @Thunderfinger What does Trump do for you that you seem to support him? Or do you just like to stir the pot?
    @Thunderfinger What does Trump do for you that you seem to support him? Or do you just like to stir the pot?

What the mod edit are you talking about? I just call out bs when I see it.
  • @Thunderfinger What does Trump do for you that you seem to support him? Or do you just like to stir the pot?

Then when are we going to hear you calling out Dolt 45? He spreads BS every time the cameras fall on him.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 3,564
    Here's some BS to call out: https://www.newsweek.com/white-house-edits-video-transcript-trump-putin-1041506 You remember that part in the Helsinki meeting where Putin admits that he supported Trump over Clinton in the 2016 election? Well, according to this White House, that part never really happened. No, no, no. Who are you going to believe -- your faulty memory, or our Glorious Leader?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Both he and Putin are not only altering the transcripts (yet another huge legal no-no), but Trump told people last night to not believe what they're hearing and seeing. We're falling on some truly scary times, as he's pushed this whole "news I don't like" = "fake news" garbage for too long.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,622

@thunderfinger you are a true iconoclast and a credit to truth justice and the Bondian way

City of Toronto appears to be at a crossroads as to how to deal with the threat of spreading urban gunplay and general mayhem.
    Law enforcement is indeed being beefed up with new hires, both officers on the ground and civilian support.
    Meanwhile, the Danforth shooter is looking like a real piece of work.
    Post Media reporting
    "One security guard said the killer, Faisal Hussein, once "threatened to cut me and my partners throat.
    Faisal, said the source, boasted to associates in the Thorncliffe Park Killers gang, that "he was a radicalzed Muslim."
    He said "I think he wanted to impress those guys"
    Law enforcement are looking into what kind of shooting training he had.
    "I had firearms training for ten years and I was not as good or as comfortable with a gun as that guy appeared to be in the video," said a former Toronto Police officer.
    Police continue to look into his work and social life, not to mention his travel.

Scary week, as this guy struck just a few days after a large swath of the downtown entertainment area, was put on a public high security alert, due to a "credible threat" warning
    The show must go on though.
    The Foo Fighters concert was thankfully not cancelled. Extra bag searches and heightened security I guess did the job.
    Toronto has become so damn big, and populated by so many diverse elements, you got to wonder what global melting pot of Bad News Bears, criminal gangs and radicalized cells are holing up here. Shudder.
    If Blofeld escapes custody in next film, he'll probably set up shop here.
    At least that might give 007 a reason to pay a return visit and engage further blunt instrument work!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,698
    Any day now I expect to hear that either we've officially gone to war with Iran or that the mid-term elections have been suspended due to "fake news and social media manipulation" making it simply unfair to all "real" Americans... nothing is below this presidency and administration at this point IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,590
    You can already tell Trump's plan with him noting that if the Russians interfere, it'll be interference with the Democrats. It's a win/win for him: the Democrats win, and he blames it on Russian interference and says the election results aren't viable. Or, the Democrats lose, and he says "See? The Russians tried to help and they still couldn't win."

So he's gone from no interference and no collusion, to no collusion, to no interference, to maybe they interfered, to they didn't interfere, to they did interfere, now down to if they interfere, it'll be with the Democrats. The best brain, folks, only the best of brains.

Then when are we going to hear you calling out Dolt 45? He spreads BS every time the cameras fall on him.

That pack is too crowded for my taste.

Given that, I assume you're a member of the Flat-Earthers for the same reason? Should I now apologize for accusing you of 'pretending'? ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »

Given that, I assume you're a member of the Flat-Earthers for the same reason? Should I now apologize for accusing you of 'pretending'? ;)

Strange logic. I called out Trump big time for his idiotic airstrike on Syria.
    I called out Trump big time for his idiotic airstrike on Syria.
    I remember him being quite pissed at you for that too...
This discussion has been closed.