CLOSED

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Except that Ocasio-Cortez isn't using much pragmatism and reason when she gets in front of a microphone. This is someone who started ranting about Israel "occupying" Palestine, and then got embarrassed and admitted she didn't know what the hell she was talking about. And she has a degree in international relations!!

But... Israel IS occupying Palestine... can you supply a link to her supposedly admitted confusion here?

That's the reason they're called the 'occupied territories', right? I really don't understand why Israel is so important to the US though. Oh wait, country filled with religious nutcases.....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Christo's lead comment here made me laugh, so I thought I'd share the whole thing.
    You can click into Trump's tweet to see all the kind replies sent to him, with love, from so many people. It is heartening to go to any of Trump's tweets these days and find the vast majority of replies slamming and correcting him. It's notable he does lie about nearly everything and makes up his own "facts" continually.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

No, she didn't 'walk back' anything.... I read the article & quotes- she merely qualified a statement that clearly seemed a bit blunt to many people. She didn't substantially change her comment or position.
    So Trump's plaque on the Hollywood walk of fame may be permanently removed.
    Somehow, I think this will irk him more than North Korea still planning to keep their nuclear program.
    On a more serious note, this is the direction the Trump administration (under white supremist Stephen Miller's guidance) is going. Right before our eyes ...

LEGAL immigrants. While children still separated from parents and keep in mind many of those were NOT doing anything illegal either, trying to come to the U.S. and ask for asylum. That is not fixed. Huge business for the "shelters" and "agencies" to house the children.

Simultaneously now, legal immigrants will be targeted next.
    Up the rungs of fascism. It is expected.
    The Dept. of Veterans Affairs is being guided by Trump's pals .. who are merely Mar-A-Lago members. Yet the V.A. is taking direction from them and even kowtows to meetings on a regular basis for their "guidance." Beyond ridiculous.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 3,564
    So now this: Mark Hamill has suggested replacing Trump's star with one for Carrie Fisher. http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/400907-mark-hamill-replace-trumps-hollywood-star-with-one-for-carrie I'd be down for that. I bet Ike Perlmutter would too! (If he has any knowledge of Marvel history, he certainly should be...)
    I'm all for it. She certainly deserved a star when she was alive.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    I wonder if Hamill is aware that Fisher's star would be diagonal to Kevin Spacey's.

Might want to think about a different location, Mark.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    4 dead in a shooting in New Brunswick, Canada.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45146056
    4 dead in a shooting in New Brunswick, Canada.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45146056

Thanks for the heads-up DC,i've changed the thread header.

Canada AGAIN ,I cant believe it .
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Very sad, @barryt007. I used to pass through that city often as a child when I lived in Canada.
    Very sad, @barryt007. I used to pass through that city often as a child when I lived in Canada.

Really ? wow,it must have hit you hard then.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Tragic event. But what do we know at this stage? I'm not getting too many clues about what exactly has transpired.
    It's very vague at present,DD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm seeing that the shooter is in custody but not much past that currently.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,622
    4 dead including two cops. One badly wounded suspect in custody.
    It's not clear what went down, other than a full blown gun battle erupting early this morning, claiming the 4 victims.
    Meanwhile, shootings in Canada are a problem, but nothing compared to Chicago.
    71 persons shot in that city, just last weekend. Yikes!
    71 in one weekend? That’s insane.
    Getafix wrote: »
    71 in one weekend? That’s insane.

No @Getafix ,that's America !
    It does suggest something is slightly wrong.
    Getafix wrote: »
    It does suggest something is slightly wrong.

It does indeed...worrying times.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,584
    NRA: "Don't touch our guns!"

Trust me, I'm a pacifist, I won't touch your guns.

But wait, you've got the world's greatest president no doubt looking very hard for a way to get gun violence under control. Okay no, America put him in office to eat hamburgers and spread geopolitically dangerous tweets all the time. Since when is a president supposed to care about his people dying, I mean, come on! *shrugs*

Dimi
    (who according to morons like Trump and Farage is living in a Failed State)
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    DarthDimi wrote: »

But wait, you've got the world's greatest president no doubt looking very hard for a way to get gun violence under control. Okay no, America put him in office to eat hamburgers and spread geopolitically dangerous tweets all the time. Since when is a president supposed to care about his people dying, I mean, come on! *shrugs*

Regarding Chicago, I would pin most of the blame on Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who has proven to be generally useless and even harmful, slashing law enforcement positions and doing basically nothing to curb gang violence.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-chicago-violence-kass-0808-story.html

Escalus5 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Regarding Chicago, I would pin most of the blame on Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who has proven to be generally useless and even harmful, slashing law enforcement positions and doing basically nothing to curb gang violence.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-chicago-violence-kass-0808-story.html

That's a good piece on the street-gang violence in Chicago.
    "More than 70 people were shot and 12 were killed in weekend shootings, including mass shootings, with few if any arrests. And more have been shot and killed in the days since.
    Why don’t people come forward? They’re afraid.
    Chicago’s abysmal clearance rates for homicides — about 17 percent last year — can be traced directly to decisions made from City Hall and give the neighborhoods little confidence Emanuel can do much about the bloodshed.
    “Emanuel gutted the detective division, now he’s trying to catch up, and the violence in Chicago is out of control,” Vallas told me on Tuesday. “And at some point, you have to put politics aside and you have to manage. The problem is that Emanuel is a D.C. politician, and what do they ever manage in D.C., where every decision made is political? ”"

===
    Chicago needs a new Mayor I think. One more committed to law enforcement. A 17% homicide clearance rate is akin to giving the gangs a street License to Kill.
    Chicago has always been one of the most gang violent cities in America.
    Meanwhile in Toronto we are developing a similar problem, with gang shootouts spreading into the streets, but on a much less dramatic scale.
    City Council has at least beefed up the police budget and detective ranks, put more cops on the streets.
    Pro-active Detective work is vital to clearing murders, making arrests, gathering intelligence, keeping tabs on gangsters, rooting out suspects etc
    Chicago has a lot of work to do. It seems like a return to the days of Al Capone.
    timmer wrote: »
    Chicago has a lot of work to do. It seems like a return to the days of Al Capone.
    Eliminating corruption would help. A lot.

chrisisall wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Eliminating corruption would help. A lot.

With that low a murder clearance rate the corruption is probably rampant..gangs having corrupted the ranks etc
    Where's Harry Callahan when you need him? Or on a less violent bent, Frank Serpico?
    The Tribune article linked by @Escalus5 does reference corruption allegations.

===regarding the Fredericton shootings, it seems some loon with a long gun, decided to blow away two people and then took out the first two cops on the scene, resulting naturally in a gun battle with the follow-up responders.
    A bizarre outbreak of violence. No motive reported yet or whether the victims were targeted, but the poor two dead cops got ambushed.
    Probably because it's New Brunswick, where a cop could probably go their entire career without having to fire their gun.
This discussion has been closed.