Saying goodbye to DC, the final scene...ideas.

Comments

I think there are two rough options - the first is to have him in top form and ready to go (as with Skyfall) in a great car, wearing a great suite with a great girl and a great swagger, he fades out and we then pick up with the new Bond in the next movie in the same mood (so the momentum and positivity is carried over)...

or we go for the blooded and injured Bond, on the cusp of death (symbolising the death of the DC era)

the second option is more in keeping with the whole of the era and with the dark side of DC's Bond and, also, more in keeping with the new Director's style.

Interesting stuff.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I love Vesper and Green, but enough already.

I'd rather see: Bond, newly retired, in his car with a girl, driving off into the sunset.

But then...a speeding car passes him in the other direction. He senses something is off. He turns to the girl, smiles, shrugs, then does a fast U-turn, chasing the other car.

Cut to black.
    I'm new to this thread so sorry if this was brought up already:
    Unless I'm mistaken, aside from Lazenby (who we knew was one and done before his movie was even out) this is the first time an established Bond actor is coming out with 'one more' and we know so ahead of time.

I mean, Connery in DAF I suppose was a toss-up. He was at least asked to come back for LALD.
    Moore's contract after MR (I think) was one movie at a time- people kept expecting him back... TLD was pretty much written with him in mind.
    Dalton.... everyone knows that sad story: he was in it for the long haul but they piddled around after LTK until his contract expired.
    I was a teenager during Brosnan's tenure, and I distinctly remember it being assumed he'd keep going after DAD.

So now we have Craig-- this next movie isn't even filmed yet and we know ahead of time this is it for him. A unique first for the series-- and bittersweet in a way. They really do need to come up with a special send off for him.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Has anyone mentioned the ending of NSNA? I thought it was a cute way to have a send off. It would appease those who want a winking fish and it also lets Bond say good bye. I am half joking.

I'm torn on whether to acknowledge the ending of the DC era. Maybe have the YOLT book ending. He has amnesia and is adrift at sea. Leave it as a cliff hanger. You could even do "James Bond will Return????" Then the next film starts with the new guy trying to execute M. Gives the new guy a bold new start and some acting as we see him redeem himself.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Q shoots Bond in a jealous frenzy, and as Bond lies there bleeding to death, he looks at the camera and says "This never happened to any of the other fellas."
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Q shoots Bond in a jealous frenzy, and as Bond lies there bleeding to death, he looks at the camera and says "This never happened to any of the other fellas."
    So much for Q teaching Bond to "never let them see you bleed."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »

Didn t he also say "Never look directly into the camera." ?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    After having a serious tone for the whole film, just go completely bonkers in the last minute. Have Craig and company destroy the fourth wall by looking at the camera while performing a big showtune style singing and dancing routine. Bring back all the old cast members from the previous films (the main characters anyway) to put some closure to the era. Everyone takes a bow, the curtain falls and fade to black.

The camera from LTK, probably.

pachazo wrote: »
    After having a serious tone for the whole film, just go completely bonkers in the last minute. Have Craig and company destroy the fourth wall by looking at the camera while performing a big showtune style singing and dancing routine. Bring back all the old cast members from the previous films (the main characters anyway) to put some closure to the era. Everyone takes a bow, the curtain falls and fade to black.
    Set to MR's circus music!

The camera from LTK, probably.

pachazo wrote: »
    Set to MR's circus music!

NO-BOD-Y DOES!

dadadadadadada

IT BET-TER!

dadadadadadada
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Here we go: Bond 25 opens with CraigBond and Swann driving through the countryside in the DB5 just after the events of SP.

A red Ferrari F355 GTS pulls up along side them. Who’s driving the Ferrari? Pierce Brosnan.

He leans out the window and goes, “You took my job you bastard!” The two cars engage in an epic chase, both equipped with Q-branch gadgets. CraigBond eventually gains the upper hand and rams BrosBond off a cliff. CraigBond goes, “Now we have all the time in the world.”

Surprise bitch! The Ferrari can turn into an attack helicopter! It rises above the cliff edge and BrosBond fires a single missile, destroying the DB5 and killing both Swann and CraigBond instantly. We get a close up shot of Brosnan’s smug and satisfied face.

Sudden cut: BrosBond awakens lying in a bed that’s covered with diamonds. Jinx is next to him. She says, “Bad dream?” BrosBond goes, “I had a dream some blonde idiot stole my job.
    Jinx: “Hmm, weird.”

Fade to black.

Movie gold! :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Here we go: Bond 25 opens with CraigBond and Swann driving through the countryside in the DB5 just after the events of SP.

A red Ferrari F355 GTS pulls up along side them. Who’s driving the Ferrari? Pierce Brosnan.

He leans out the window and goes, “You took my job you bastard!” The two cars engage in an epic chase, both equipped with Q-branch gadgets. CraigBond eventually gains the upper hand and rams BrosBond off a cliff. CraigBond goes, “Now we have all the time in the world.”

Surprise bitch! The Ferrari can turn into an attack helicopter! It rises above the cliff edge and BrosBond fires a single missile, destroying the DB5 and killing both Swann and CraigBond instantly. We get a close up shot of Brosnan’s smug and satisfied face.

Sudden cut: BrosBond awakens lying in a bed that’s covered with diamonds. Jinx is next to him. She says, “Bad dream?” BrosBond goes, “I had a dream some blonde idiot stole my job.
    Jinx: “Hmm, weird.”

Fade to black.

Movie gold! :D

Lol Funnily enough I was thinking along similar lines, Brosnan doing a Bobby Ewing and waking up in the shower after a bad dream.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    I dont want a Logan style ending.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Following the end battle, Bond has defeated the main villain. Then we get a surprise return of the henchman (Hinx) popping off his double barrel Arsenal, creating massive holes in everything he hits. Hinx runs out of bullets, tosses his gun aside, and charges at Bond. Bond has lost his Walther and picks up a Beretta next to a red-shirted corpse. He pulls the trigger and it jams, allowing Hinx to lay into him. Hinx tries to use his thumbnails, but Bond improvises with objects around him, and only just manages to dispose of Hinx in some unique fashion. Bond comes away seriously injured, and spends the final moments of the film in a hospital bed, in full body cast (not unlike the end of OP), with the girl by his side. Naturally, Bond is well enough to suddenly pull the girl on top of him and play some tonsil hockey.

Girl: "Careful James, any more physical strain and you could be in here longer than six months!"

*goes to kiss girl*

Bond: "Let's try for twelve, shall we?"

OR alternate line:

Bond: "Do I... (kissing) ...look like I... (kissing) ...give a damn?"
    My serious answer:

Regarding the original post's idea, I'd rather not have M thanking and acknowledging Bond in such a serious way. I agree with bondjames in that it makes Bond feel a tad too heroic, and he shouldn't. He should save the world each time, but for the most part remain 'anonymous', so to speak. He shouldn't be singled out too openly.

In that sense, the idea with the tramp is better. It has some dramatic weight, but doesn't go overboard. I'm still not fully convinced by it, though-- the thought of Bond and a tramp, together, makes me a bit uneasy, as I'm not sure it's, well, Bondian enough. I do think its subtlety and lightness of touch would be perfectly appropriate for the ending.

I would prefer not to end with Bond dying or getting too close to dying. It's the kind of idea that no doubt holds a certain fascination --after 24 films, seeing Bond not make it through this one--, but while it could work within one film, it would run counter to the fantasy aspect of the Bond series, which should remain alive to some degree, no matter how serious the movies might get. No matter what, Bond is a survivor, and one admires him for that. Don't take that away from the character.

After all the films they've made, and knowing in advance the next one will be Craig's last, I guess there's a natural tendency to want to do something special, to take things a bit further, but I say there's no great benefit to be gained from it. I'd happily settle for a traditional ending-- Bond fights the returning henchman and kisses the girl, DAF/LALD style. Barring that, something with a similar tone to the tramp idea --something with a light touch, without an excess of emotional resonance-- would work well.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    The same way everyone other Bond has. A love scene, then the credits.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    [The shot pauses on Bond for a moment, then he suddenly gets down on one knee and brings his hand in to grasp the stone lovingly. The camera then shifts to show a perspective over his shoulder, as we read the name "Vesper Lynd" and the date of her birth and death. In this moment it would become clear that, no matter how much time has passed, Bond has never forgotten his ultimate mission to get the woman he loved justice. A short but emotional bit of David Arnold's Vesper theme plays. Bond gazes down at the name and what it represents to him and, with great earnestness and relief, says...]

[Cut to black, roll credits. As soon as the credits begin, there is a momentary pause before a special song kicks into high gear to seal off the Daniel Craig James Bond era. It's the late, great Chris Cornell's "You Know My Name."][/i]

I'm already crying.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Whatever that final scene is, it should some how dissolve to (or be set up in) black and white. That might be cheesy, but it sure would bookend with the opening of CR rather perfectly.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Setting up a final scene in black and white is an epic idea.

So can the filmmakers commit to that with BOND 25, or do they have to consider BOND 26.
  • In the Craig's final movie, I would have the next Bond girl reiterate Vesper's comments in the first movie, about Bond being able to change. This resonates with Bond, and at the end battle of the movie, instead of killing the bad guy, he throws away his gun and allows him to get arrested instead.
    Work out some way of the final battle ending with Bond making a choice between a normal life, and the life of 'an assassin'. He chooses the normal life. His journey is complete.
    But, just to keep it in the Bondverse, have him returning one last time to HQ, to pick up the DB5, and have Craig's final scene with him driving through the London streets, the Bond girl by his side. Bond theme plays.
    A perfect goodbye to the character arc of the DC era.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541
    End it the way it was started in B & W. But in this case henchmen and bond both will shoot each other and bang - a gunbarrel like in CR, except we wouldn't know if bond survived or not.
    End it with an amnesiac Bond having to answer the question: "Who are you?"
    He doesn't remember. Or does he? He walks away, into the mist of some cobblestone street. And he smiles.

Done. Brilliant. Simple. An open coda for Bond26.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Univex wrote: »
    End it with an amnesiac Bond having to answer the question: "Who are you?"
    He doesn't remember. Or does he? He walks away, into the mist of some cobblestone street. And he smiles.

Done. Brilliant. Simple. An open coda for Bond26.

I'd like that
    Craigs final scene will be definitive in that we know where Bond ends up or his fate.
    OK, Ive tweaked my original idea.

Buckingham Palace: The changing of the Guard. First shot from the front balcony through a window, looking down (hinting that someone is watching from that angle).

Bond and M stand at the front of the barriers as the soldiers march past. M puts out his hand.

M "Thank you Double O Seven"

They shake hands.

Bond "It was my pleasure, M"

M dissappears into the crowd, leaving Bond to take in the sites and ponder for a few seconds more. Like M, he then merges with the crowd as we see an ariel, pull away shot of London.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Should be a simple film ending moment. Nothing more, nothing less. Why people feel Craig should get some kind of special nod or treatement that none of the other actors got is beyond me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Should be a simple film ending moment. Nothing more, nothing less. Why people feel Craig should get some kind of special nod or treatement that none of the other actors got is beyond me.
    Because this is the first film they've gone into knowing it's the actor's last.
  • This is a great idea for a thread.

I've had a few thoughts about this over the last few months.

Personally, I want Craig's tenure to end in a distinct way which finishes off his set of films. Therefore, the producers would have the choice of interpreting the ending as a farewell to DC or a chance to totally reboot down the line.

The suggestion of Bond at Buckingham palace meeting with M or drinking with a tramp isn't bad. I didn't hate it as much as I anticipated. Personally, the dialogue suggested is a little "on the nose".

For me, I think Craig's Bond will "die". I'd actually be rather gutted if he doesn't. I've seen Bond get out of scrape after scrape. I want to see him bite the bullet. I want an emotionally charged ending where Daniel gives it everything he's got and dies on screen.

I reckon Bond should get shot and badly wounded. Despite being injured, he is still able to take down the villain. Then he walks out into the sun outside the villain's HQ and realises that he can't survive. So he falls to the ground and lights a cigarette and has a brief moment to himself before "dying".

I feel a moment like this would still allow Bond a heroic exit and give enough room for another filmmaker to say "he didn't really die" or allow another director to reboot. Just don't show him close his eyes. We all saw Layer Cake....

This is still the best idea for Craig's exit I've read....
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    patb wrote: »
    OK, Ive tweaked my original idea.

Buckingham Palace: The changing of the Guard. First shot from the front balcony through a window, looking down (hinting that someone is watching from that angle).

Bond and M stand at the front of the barriers as the soldiers march past. M puts out his hand.

M "Thank you Double O Seven"

They shake hands.

Bond "It was my pleasure, M"

M dissappears into the crowd, leaving Bond to take in the sites and ponder for a few seconds more. Like M, he then merges with the crowd as we see an ariel, pull away shot of London.
    +1. Love this.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,600

Another idea:

Q is working alone after hours in his lab, sitting at a workbench. Bond enters.

Bond "I hope you're claiming overtime"

Q "Hmm, what's that ?"

Bond "Here, another job for you."

Bond pulls his Walther from inside his jacket, checks it's empty and gently places in on the workbench.

Bond "Ever reliable but I sense ...(pauses)...some roughness.

Q picks up the gun and examines it.

Q "Mmm, just like it's owner..When will you be back to collect it?"

Bond "Soon enough, Q , soon enough."

Bond gently taps Q on the shoulder and departs. Q takes a cardboard tag, writes something on it and ties it to the trigger guard of the gun.

Close up of the gun lying on the workbench with "007" hand written on the tag. We here the click of a lightswitch and the scene goes to black.