The NHL Thread

Comments

Adios Bruins. I won’t miss you!
    Congrats Golden Knights. Quite the exciting team!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Congrats to the Capitals. Glad to see ovechkin win it. For some reason I couldn't fathom Vegas winning in their first year
  • peterpeter Toronto
    WE GOT TAVARES!!!!!!!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    He's overrated
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,503
    Meanwhile I'm over here giddy as hell because Cullen is coming back to the Pens for another year at only $650K.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47 — we are giddy in Toronto!! It’s Canada Day here, what a way to celebrate our country! Tavares comes from a suburb just west of Toronto proper. The Leafs were his team growing up.

The Leafs down the middle:
    Tavares
    Mathews
    Kadri

Our son is coming home to win the Cup!!

NYI was getting pretty stacked in the last couple of weeks with good moves and changes, so I was a bit surprised Tavares didn't stick it out - but, at least he's coming home now!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He's overrated

There are only three or four players who have more points since Tavares joined the NHL— and he played on mostly crap teams.

There was a special exemption made for him to be drafted a year early for his junior career.
    He was rookie of the year.
    Drafted no. 1 into the NHL.

With Marner feeding him? Lights out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    NYI was getting pretty stacked in the last couple of weeks with good moves and changes, so I was a bit surprised Tavares didn't stick it out - but, at least he's coming home now!

Lou was trying to pull off his magic, @Creasy47 . I was surprised too. When was the last time a No1 draft pick left his team in free agency? Scott Niedermayer in ‘05 (from New Jersey to the Ducks).
    Looks like they did a "swap" of sorts in a sense, as Komarov is now going to the NYI.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Komarov is a great character player, but Babcock loved him and gave him second-line minutes-- which never made sense to me @Creasy47
    Even more trading between Toronto and NYI, they're loving one another this off-season it seems:

• peterpeter Toronto
    We were just talking about Matt Martin-- good character, other players love him, he's tough and can play (just not on a stacked team). I don't know too much about McAdam, and I wonder why we took him (unless to use for another trade (according to all reports in Toronto, Freddie's the man, his back up McElhinney more than shined in his relief, and we have an amazing up n comer in Garret Sparks...)

Thanks for the info Creasy!!
    You're welcome! I've also been eagerly waiting to see who Karlsson gets shopped to from the Senators.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ottawa's done @Creasy47 . When Murray died, everything fell to pieces.

Karlsson is going to cost a team a chunk of their future. Who has deep pockets enough for him right now?

Somewhere in the West? SJ? To compete with Doughty and his signing in LA??
    Their team has gotten worse and worse in the last two years, I'd say. From a Stanley Cup playoff run to the state they were in at the end of this season is simply stunning.

Rumor currently is that the frontrunner for Karlsson is Dallas. They're really stacking up with some good acquisitions this off-season. One of my favorite teams over the years, can't wait to see how they play this season.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm a fan of Dallas too. Great team that seemingly rises without anyone noticing until they're hammering your ass.

I had no idea who Jamie Benn was until the last Olympics-- then I was like:

Holy. S**t. Who the f**k is this wizard of the ice.

Dallas is dangerous.

Karlsson goes there and they can compete with anyone.
    Benn is definitely a stud, love watching him play. With a new goalie and Karlsson added to the defense, they'll be incredible this season.
    I'm stealing the idea from the football thread because I did it once years ago and had a blast, but would anyone be interested in doing a fantasy hockey league for the upcoming season? Like I said, I did it with a few friends back around 2015 and it was such a blast and not as time consuming as I had expected. I think we ran it with only six people at the start of the league's season, but that fizzled out to three or four of us by the end and it was still manageable. I believe we did it through the ESPN app, it was a simple enough set-up.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’d be up for ir
    All I know is, I met Milan Lucic last October or so which was pretty cool. :) He wasn't as tall or big as I thought. I didn't get a photo unfortunately, I didn't want to bother him about that. I'm a big fan of his nose though, and he's very handsome.
    peter wrote: »
    He's overrated

There are only three or four players who have more points since Tavares joined the NHL— and he played on mostly crap teams.

There was a special exemption made for him to be drafted a year early for his junior career.
    He was rookie of the year.
    Drafted no. 1 into the NHL.

With Marner feeding him? Lights out.

I'm just bitter because I know that Florida will never be able to land that quality of talent and haven't since Pavel Bure. Instead we get Hoffman and his crazy fiance
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes that was quite something. Traded to San Jose and then straight out the back door to Florida.
    And what went down in Ottawa is just nuts
    peter wrote: »
    Yes that was quite something. Traded to San Jose and then straight out the back door to Florida.
    And what went down in Ottawa is just nuts

If true. I wonder what will come out of it. I just hope it doesn't affect the ice performance or locker room culture.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm stealing the idea from the football thread because I did it once years ago and had a blast, but would anyone be interested in doing a fantasy hockey league for the upcoming season? Like I said, I did it with a few friends back around 2015 and it was such a blast and not as time consuming as I had expected. I think we ran it with only six people at the start of the league's season, but that fizzled out to three or four of us by the end and it was still manageable. I believe we did it through the ESPN app, it was a simple enough set-up.

I'd be interested too!
    Excellent @thedove! That makes three of us, I don't believe you need more than four people to start, but I may be wrong. @Last_Rat_Standing, would you be interested at all?
    Absolutely
    Excellent! On ESPN it says 8-12 teams, so perhaps we do need 8. I'm not sure yet as it's still early days and I'm guessing no sign-ups are currently available (wasn't seeing anything on the site for a sign-up/league creation, anyway), so I'll keep an eye out in the coming months to see.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Awesome! Keep us posted. Maybe I can recruit some non Bond but NHL fans to join our league?