Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Still haven't seen it. First SW movie, that I didn't go to see in the opening day.

Likewise, even during the prequels I watched the films as soon as possible. I can only speak for myself though I think my Star Wars has gone, Disney Star Wars is for others
    Seen it and enjoyed it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Still haven't seen it. First SW movie, that I didn't go to see in the opening day.

Likewise, even during the prequels I watched the films as soon as possible. I can only speak for myself though I think my Star Wars has gone, Disney Star Wars is for others

Definitely how I'm feeling; didn't take long at all for the Star Wars fatigue to set in for me, and it appears the case for others, given the disappointing box office Solo seems to be having in its opening weekend.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,107
    I'm afraid star wars is becoming the next Marvel for me. I might not see them in the cinema or even get in my collection.

I might as well wait untill I see them free from the tellyvision...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think alot of us said this a few years ago, Star Wars is being diluted, it's not so much it's current state (which is not great) though it's where it's currently headed that has put me off.
    I definitely won't be paying to see another, whether that be a spin-off/prequel or any of these new trilogies/shows. It's all way too much for me.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,562
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I definitely won't be paying to see another, whether that be a spin-off/prequel or any of these new trilogies/shows. It's all way too much for me.

I have watched every Stars Wars film at the cinema since Return of the Jedi which was awesome remember it vividly. Solo is the first film I have not bothered with, cinema is going through a mediocre patch, this decade will not be remembered as a great one for films.

Empire Strikes Back is in my Top 5 movies of all time, the fact Solo was even contemplated offends me.
    I've definitely been viewing less and less movies in theaters as the years have passed. My issue is that they put out way too much that isn't worth the time or effort when it's available at a lower cost in a few months time.
    I've definitely been viewing less and less movies in theaters as the years have passed. My issue is that they put out way too much that isn't worth the time or effort when it's available at a lower cost in a few months time.

Recently I revisit TV and films from the previous century, I think an inherent problem with film makers today is everything has been done. So modern think tanks think 'ok let's take a old idea/IP and put a spin on it'. Most of the time that twist or new spin sucks and devalues the IP
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,985

Agreed. I saw TFA and Rogue One and wished i hadn't. Disney are sucking all the mystery out of the Star Wars universe. I don't blame them as it's a huge cash cow.

But when films start getting made just for the sake of it then i'm not interested.

I have my memories of the original Star Wars. A New Hope and Empire are two of the greatest fantasy films in movie history in my opinion. I won't be soiling my memories of them by seeing any more of these fake Star Wars films.

Like him or not, Star Wars began and ended with George Lucas.
    I saw Solo last night. It was the first time I saw a Star Wars movie on opening night. The theater was mostly full and there were a handful of people that dressed up in Star Wars costumes.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the film! It wasn't perfect but it was a lot of fun and better than TLJ, for those of you that hated that film. I also thought it was far better than Rogue One, which was a disappointment to me.

I thought Ehrenreich did a fine job in the film. Ford is and will always be Han but Ehrenreich took the role and made it his own and you're not left thinking about Ford's version of the character. Glover did a fine job as well but I'm not seeing him steal the spotlight like how so many reviews said he did. He really didn't do much in the film at all.

There was only one thing that I actually cringed at...
    when Han got his last name, Solo. I'm okay with that not being his birth name but how he got it was just kind of cringe worthy. Also, why doesn't Han have a last name to begin with? He mentions his father later in the film but he can't remember his own last name?

They also never explained...
    the significance of the dice that Han carries around with him. We see him give them to Qi'Ra at the beginning and then she gives them back when they meet again a few years later. We never see how Han got them or why he keeps them.

I was shocked when...
    Maul showed up. When Dryden Vos says something about how his boss wouldn't be happy with them, I thought it was going to be Vader or the Emperor. I'm really glad it wasn't. The second I heard Sam Witwer's (voiced Maul in The Clone Wars and Rebels) voice I thought, "No way! Nah, they wouldn't... Holy crap its Maul!" That was something I wasn't expecting at all.
    Though I'm curious what they're going to do with him now. If they make a sequel to Solo, will he be in it? Are they setting up a standalone Maul movie? If they are, will Qi'Ra be back in any of them? And if so, which one?

To me this is easily one of the better Star Wars films and I would love to see at least one sequel. So far most of the reception I've seen has been people thinking it's decent to really liking it. As a Star Wars fan, I'm happy.

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Last Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
    I saw SOLO, and your comments, @QsAssistant, nicely sum up my thoughts.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Gerard wrote: »
    How did that guy survive anyway ?
    You'll have to watch The Clone Wars to understand that
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Solo has opened with a bigger US gross than any Bond film but it's already being described as a flop! Go figure.

Bond marches on but it looks like the intended Solo franchise may not get to a second film.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,812
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Solo has opened with a bigger US gross than any Bond film but it's already being described as a flop! Go figure.

Bond marches on but it looks like the intended Solo franchise may not get to a second film.

I guess I've never understood why movies are considered a flop if they don't make millions more than was put into it in the first weekend. From my understanding the film made its money back plus more. Just because it didn't reach what they were expecting it's a flop? And it's currently number one in theaters.

I guess I've never understood why movies are considered a flop if they don't make millions more than was put into it in the first weekend. From my understanding the film made its money back plus more. Just because it didn't reach what they were expecting it's a flop? And it's currently number one in theaters.

Not at all, actually. It's currently sitting at $168 million worldwide, despite a $300 million (possibly plus) budget, and that doesn't even account for P&A. It's got a long way to go before breaking even. I believe earlier estimates had it releasing here in the States around $130-150 million, which it failed to do.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Interesting. I feel like that's not because of the film itself though. It actually was surprisingly good. It seems like it's mostly because of TLJ and Star Wars fatigue. I'm a huge Star Wars nerd but even I can admit that one Star Wars movie a year is a bad idea. Not to mention the TV show that are coming out, animated and live action. Plus, the books, comics, and video games. A movie every year is just too much. I hope they fix it to one movie every two years.
    I'm guessing it's a combination of Star Wars fatigue, mixed with a lack of interest in a Solo backstory and the fact that it's still in competition with the likes of Deadpool 2 and Avengers: Infinity War. They would've been in a much better place if they had avoided the recasting of directors and reshoots, on top of a different premiere month, say November or December. It seems like the release schedule is allotting for at least one of those every year for quite some time, so I only see the fatigue growing.
    I guess it has to do with the tropic temperatures which keeps people out of cinema's in Europe, Avengers 3, Deadpool 2 and the upcoming Jurrasic world. There is a lot of cinema coming out and you can spend your money only once.

And of course all the bad press that was created in social media by these punks who keep calling Disney Star Wars poor when Lucas SW is brilliant. Must have forgotten how poorly they spoke about the prequels. And those were GL's babies.

I find the attempt to finish the Skywalker family drama interesting and it sure as heck is no Fan pleasing solution when all the fan art would keep going a different direction. Those options were not possible with the original actors not aboard or be recasted.

I am looking forward to the expansion of the SW universe and would rather see that than a new emo-bond next year.

Am now looking forward to te release of the new Bond novel and the re-release of the 007 diaries the making of living and let die.

Not at all, actually. It's currently sitting at $168 million worldwide, despite a $300 million (possibly plus) budget, and that doesn't even account for P&A. It's got a long way to go before breaking even. I believe earlier estimates had it releasing here in the States around $130-150 million, which it failed to do.

Star Wars ain't special anymore. It's become another generic fantasy series that offers little substance or genuine excitement.

I remember seeing the original at the cinema in early 78. The UK didn't get it in the summer of 77, don't let anyone tell you that falsity. It was special. It was exciting. It was something audiences had been craving and didn't even know it. We came out of the cinema buzzing. And couldn't wait to see it again. We knew we'd seen something amazing that would stay with us for many years.

We had to wait 2 long years for Empire to show up. And was it ever worth the wait! Even more spectacular. More intrigue. And oh what drama! Could it be true?!! Vader Lukes father?!!! Why had Ben lied?!!!! Many repeat viewings later and it became clear this was the better film. One of the greatest fantasy films ever made.

Can you say that about any of the new films?

I was excited for TFA when it was released. But i came away bitterly disapointed in this weird film. It was Star Wars but it wasn't Star Wars. It was a replicant Star Wars. A strange clone, almost what an artifical intelligence would come up with if asked to come up with a Star Wars film. It had no soul.

I gave up after seeing the pointless and excruciatingly dull Rogue One. No more Disney Star Wars films to curdle my memories of the original trilogy. They're sucking all the mystery out of the Star Wars universe. But not anymore for this nostalgic nerd.

Do youngsters come out of these films as full of wonder as i was when i saw the originals for the first time? Or are these films forgotten as they leave the cinema as they wonder what franchised food joint they'll be eating at?

A Star Wars film every year and audiences will get fed up with them as perhaps we are already seeing with the apparent disapointment with Solo's box office.

I've heard theres an Obi Wan film in the works. Does anybody want or need to know what happened between Revenge Of The Sith and A New Hope?

Anyone up for 'Biggs Darklighter: The Early Years'?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw all SW films upon release except the prequels. (Star Wars came out in Dec 77 here, and is one of two blockbusters I have ever been to.) The only disappointments for me have been ROTJ and TLJ. Haven t seen SOLO yet.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm looking forward to the Greedo spinoff. From his early years as a sharpshooter to how he meets Jabba
    We probably find out that Jabba is his Stepbrother an de vane of existence. Just kidding only EON is capable of that kind of shyte. ;)
    I'm looking forward to the Greedo spinoff. From his early years as a sharpshooter to how he meets Jabba

Don't give them any ideas! :\
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I was pleasantly surprised by Solo, but then again my expectations were quite low. That's the key I think. Which is sad, but that's where we are. At least there's no bastardization of any characters like TLJ gave us. It's fun and ultimately unnecessary. What else were you expecting?
    pachazo wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised by Solo, but then again my expectations were quite low. That's the key I think. Which is sad, but that's where we are. At least there's no bastardization of any characters like TLJ gave us. It's fun and ultimately unnecessary. What else were you expecting?

It's sad state of affairs when you have to 'lower your expectations' to enjoy a film.

And a Star Wars film at that.

They used to be event movies. Now we have to lower expectations. Good grief.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Honestly, I'd rather watch Revenge of the Sith than the next installment of Star Wars. The SW fatigue is that bad with me.
    I want to see Salacious B. Crumb: A Star Wars Story so we can visit Kowakian monkey-lizard Planet, I want to learn about Salacious B. culture and find out what the B in his name stands for. Though I bet there is already a book ;))

Salacious-Crumb1.png
    Salacious is my favorite SW character.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Salacious is my favorite SW character.

He is funny one of the highlights of Jabbas palace.
    Underrated for sure. Labyrinth (1986) definitely (and wisely) took inspiration from his character.