Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'll be seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story this Wednesday (the 23rd).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'll be seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story this Wednesday (the 23rd).
    Enjoy @DaltonCraig007. I didn't realize it was coming out so soon. Deadpool 2 doesn't have a lot of time to make an impression and IW is still around too. Crowded release schedule.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,694
    Very true @bondjames, and Europe seems to be getting Jurassic World 2 sooner than North America, as it's only 2 weeks away for me. I'll only have Beirut (the Jon Hamm spy/thriller) between Solo and Jurassic World 2.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TMZ is saying that the next standalone Star Wars film will indeed be about Obi-Wan during his days as a hermit on Tatooine. They're saying it will be titled "Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story." Ewan McGregor hasn't been confirmed to be signed on as of yet.
    http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Possible_ObiWan_Kenobi_Star_Wars_Film_Details_Emerge_180762.asp

The synopsis reads...
    "Obi-Wan is on Tatooine being an elusive hermit and stuff, but secretly watches over an infant Luke Skywalker, whom he delivered to his uncle, Owen. Tensions between the local farmers and a tribe of Sand People -- headed by a ruthless war chief -- eventually brings Obi outta hiding ... and into Jedi kickass mode. Scene."

Sounds cool but should be taken with a grain of salt.

I hope he visits the cantina again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    On this day in 1980, TESB premiered.
    6u1fYtxG5eqjhtCPDx04pJphQRW.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If all goes well, I will have watched SOLO in less than 24 hours...
    I'll try to get a ticket this sunday. I'm not going to miss it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Decided to wait till Solo is on Bluray, the word boring has appeared in a few reviews I have come across. My attention span in a cinema is not great with lengthy snooze fests, The Last Jedi was bad enough.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Decided to wait till Solo is on Bluray, the word boring has appeared in a few reviews I have come across. My attention span in a cinema is not great with lengthy snooze fests, The Last Jedi was bad enough.
    I was just thinking that myself. I think I'll probably do the same actually. I'm sure it's a fine enough film, but I'm not feeling the urge to fork out some coin for it in the theatres just now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,568
    bondjames wrote: »
    I was just thinking that myself. I think I'll probably do the same actually. I'm sure it's a fine enough film, but I'm not feeling the urge to fork out some coin for it in the theatres just now.

Time is an issue for me with regards to going to the cinema, I tend to go to see films I am hyped for, it's a biased opinion though I still don't want a Solo film, in three months it will be available on Bluray/4K I can wait.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain

Interesting. I've only seen a handful of reviews that say it starts off slow (which I guess could be translated to "boring") but then they say it picks up and becomes a fun adventure. I even saw one or two that said it was similar to "A New Hope but without the mysticism." Either way I'm pumped to see it. Han Solo is my favorite character in any work of fiction.

Interesting. I've only seen a handful of reviews that say it starts off slow (which I guess could be translated to "boring") but then they say it picks up and becomes a fun adventure. I even saw one or two that said it was similar to "A New Hope but without the mysticism." Either way I'm pumped to see it. Han Solo is my favorite character in any work of fiction.

I love Han too that's the main reason I am against this film, it maybe alot of fun though I guess I am against further movies like this and want it to fail. The quicker Disney stop mining the past and mining dialogue from other films literally and come up with new stories the better, of course that's just my opinion.
    I am too much of a Star Wars fan to be impressed by reviews and I'm furthermore not sure a slow start with a blast of an ending is a bad thing. Most Bond films suffer from the opposite (if "slow" translates as "weak" that is.) :) Either way, I'll share my thoughts later on. :)

I'll be honest, they can throw a faux nature documentary about the Ewoks at me and I'd probably still go see it. Star Wars, despite Disney's hyper commercial milking of the Lucasian cow, still holds that special place in my heart. But I am well aware that Solo is manufactured to generate money, not to be a work of art.

I'm going for a theme park ride, not for Oscar worhty material. But if this film makes me smile and gives me some good thrills, I shall call it a success. :)
    I'm about to go to the cinema for Solo in a few minutes, hopefully it'll be a fun film!
    Right. A detailed review will follow. Suffice it to say that if you dig the Star Wars mythology and you geek out on that stuff like I do, you are going to love this. I had a great time, guys. Will be going back for seconds and thirds Friday and next weekend. I'm a fan. My initial response to this film is one of far greater excitement and enthusiasm than my initial response to TLJ.
    Fantastic, @DarthDimi! I arrived early so I have time to check the forums with my phone - I’m glad I did, your review hyped me up! :D
    Time again for me to avoid the internet again. I was just spoiled by a big surprise. @DarthDimi & @DaltonCraig007 I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you see it
    An honest trailer for the "original Star Wars spinoffs."
    Boba Fett movie in the works from the director of 'Logan', James Mangold.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-boba-fett-movie-is-happening-james-mangold-direct-1113273
    I’m less than an hour away from seeing Solo! I’ll be back on later tonight or tomorrow to give a brief review.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Encouraging news by some of you that have been to see Solo. Personally, I'm done with seeing these movies in the theatre but Solo is the one that interests me the most solely for Alden Ehrenreich's participation, who I've liked in most things I've seen him in. Another plus is Ron Howard's involvement. Out of all of the Disney Star Wars, it's probably the one I should've waited to see on the big screen. Sadly, Force Awakens and Last Jedi have already tarnished this franchise beyond repair now. It'll take the sacking of co-chairman of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy, before I reverse my decision. And as that's not going to happen any time soon, I'll be sticking with steering clear of them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Mangold is a great choice. He can probably do something interesting with an otherwise boring character.
    I saw Solo last night. It was the first time I saw a Star Wars movie on opening night. The theater was mostly full and there were a handful of people that dressed up in Star Wars costumes.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the film! It wasn't perfect but it was a lot of fun and better than TLJ, for those of you that hated that film. I also thought it was far better than Rogue One, which was a disappointment to me.

I thought Ehrenreich did a fine job in the film. Ford is and will always be Han but Ehrenreich took the role and made it his own and you're not left thinking about Ford's version of the character. Glover did a fine job as well but I'm not seeing him steal the spotlight like how so many reviews said he did. He really didn't do much in the film at all.

There was only one thing that I actually cringed at...
    when Han got his last name, Solo. I'm okay with that not being his birth name but how he got it was just kind of cringe worthy. Also, why doesn't Han have a last name to begin with? He mentions his father later in the film but he can't remember his own last name?

They also never explained...
    the significance of the dice that Han carries around with him. We see him give them to Qi'Ra at the beginning and then she gives them back when they meet again a few years later. We never see how Han got them or why he keeps them.

I was shocked when...
    Maul showed up. When Dryden Vos says something about how his boss wouldn't be happy with them, I thought it was going to be Vader or the Emperor. I'm really glad it wasn't. The second I heard Sam Witwer's (voiced Maul in The Clone Wars and Rebels) voice I thought, "No way! Nah, they wouldn't... Holy crap its Maul!" That was something I wasn't expecting at all.
    Though I'm curious what they're going to do with him now. If they make a sequel to Solo, will he be in it? Are they setting up a standalone Maul movie? If they are, will Qi'Ra be back in any of them? And if so, which one?

To me this is easily one of the better Star Wars films and I would love to see at least one sequel. So far most of the reception I've seen has been people thinking it's decent to really liking it. As a Star Wars fan, I'm happy.

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Last Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thanks for the review. I might see it if my Son wants to go, otherwise it will be a BD purchase. Not so interested in TFA or TLJ enough to buy them- once in theatre was enough. Not jazzed at all for the next installment. Sadly, aside from Rogue One, my SW fandom is mainly retro.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Just saw Solo - loved it.

My favourite Star Wars film in a long time. The freedom they have with the independent Star Wars stories means that I've enjoyed Rogue One (the second half especially) and Solo far more than The Force Awakens and especially the endless mess that was The Last Jedi. None of the new characters in episode seven and eight are a patch on the original crew (although Kylo Ren improved in episode 8).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just saw Solo - loved it.

My favourite Star Wars film in a long time. The freedom they have with the independent Star Wars stories means that I've enjoyed Rogue One (the second half especially) and Solo far more than The Force Awakens and especially the endless mess that was The Last Jedi. None of the new characters in episode seven and eight are a patch on the original crew (although Kylo Ren improved in episode 8).

Good recommendation. Thanks, I'll endeavour to catch this theatrically now!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Yeah, the crowd I saw it with seemed to really enjoy it. I think it's just a really well made, straight-forward heist movie with blasters, gambling and the millennium falcon ripping through asteroid fields. It doesn't get bogged down in Skywalker lineage, force mythology, overly emotional character interaction and rubbish sideplots. All the characters are likeable and well cast. Han and Lando are on point (the insanely talented Donald Glover is so good in the role that he could carry his own movie.) And Chewie hasn't been this well handled since the original trilogy. Just a fun adventure film - just like it should be.
    Having seen Solo twice now, I can say that it, along with Rogue One, ranks far higher for me than the recent two episodes. These Star Wars Stories have fire and keep one foot in the original myth, which is ultimately what we want. The recent episodes try to bring new myth to the game but it's not quite working for me. Solo and Rogue One are heroin for Star Wars geeks like myself. They understand they need but bring back beloved characterd and hide a few easter eggs and we're game. And I'm falling for it. But willingly. I had a great time this second time too and I will be going back for a third visit.
    All right, I saw it. Theater wasn't nearly as packed as for Infinity War, but it might be due to the fact that today is Mother's day in France, and that, at the hour I saw it (1.30 pm), most people are spending time with their family.

So was it good or not ? Well, yes it was good. Alden Ehrenreich had big shoes to fill, but he managed to do it effortlessly. The rest of the cast was top notch as well. And the action was great, not to mention the easter eggs. Now, the Bond fan I am couldn't help but notice how Han tried
    the DAF manoeuver
    at the beginning (and I'm sure all of you here noticed that as well). In short, a good addition to the saga. And the ending makes me want to see more. How did that guy survive anyway ?
    Still haven't seen it. First SW movie, that I didn't go to see in the opening day.