"Go ahead....make my day"...Dirty Harry ,Clint Eastwood discussion.

Comments

The Gauntlet would definitely be a Harry film. Tightrope should have been the fourth installment rather than Sudden Impact.

I could do without The Dead Pool and The Rookie, though. Late 80s early 90s films definitely lacked in delivering decent material for the most part unless a film was built on intellectual grounds.

I like both films x it’s Clint after all ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just watching ‘Clint Eastwood- A life in film ‘ that I recorded off Sky Arts channel x it’s brilliant..I’ve never seen Clint so open as he is naturally shy.
    If u can download it then go for it .

That's on my Sky watchlist not got round to giving it a look.

Well worth it , an hour and a half with Clint being open and frank about his films and the characters he played.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Gauntlet would definitely be a Harry film. Tightrope should have been the fourth installment rather than Sudden Impact.

I could do without The Dead Pool and The Rookie, though. Late 80s early 90s films definitely lacked in delivering decent material for the most part unless a film was built on intellectual grounds.

Just watching ‘Clint Eastwood- A life in film ‘ that I recorded off Sky Arts channel x it’s brilliant..I’ve never seen Clint so open as he is naturally shy.

Well worth it , an hour and a half with Clint being open and frank about his films and the characters he played.

I'll try and watch it tomorrow, Sky have done some good documentarys on Hollywood. Been catching up on other TV shows on my watch list before it expires, there is way too much good TV these days.

I'll try and watch it tomorrow, Sky have done some good documentarys on Hollywood. Been catching up on other TV shows on my watch list before it expires, there is way too much good TV these days.

Agreed !
    I have to sacrifice some films and programmes that I have recorded as I have forgotten that they are even there !

Just reading up on 'The Eiger Sanction' and I didn't realise that Claudine Auger had a part in the film but was axed just before release in 1975.
    Any western with Clint Eastwood makes me want to watch that movie, his westerns are generally good to fantastic.

Play Misty to me is another classic movie that deserves more credit than it gets.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Play Misty to me is another classic movie that deserves more credit than it gets.
    A brilliant thriller. Not entirely Eastwood-generic but definitely sensational.

Come to think of it, I spotted Play Misty For Me being advertised in Dirty Harry.
    I find that movie "Play misty for me" far superior to that Michael Douglas vehicle with the same premise.
    I find that movie "Play misty for me" far superior to that Michael Douglas vehicle with the same premise.
    Without a shadow of doubt.
    No comparison....and Jessica Walter deserves great credit for that,as well as Clint's change of direction with his acting and a great directorial debut.
    Nice to feel the love for such an Un-Eastwood like movie, but the man has always nicked any trend. The one Eastwood movie I will never watch twice is "the bridges of Madison county" that is an incredible chick flic that I have seen once but that was more than enough.
    Nice to feel the love for such an Un-Eastwood like movie, but the man has always nicked any trend. The one Eastwood movie I will never watch twice is "the bridges of Madison county" that is an incredible chick flic that I have seen once but that was more than enough.
    +1
    My first experience of 'Dirty Harry' in digital download from Sky coming right up !
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Went to see 'For A Few Dollar's More' at the IFI
    last Sunday. Great print and great audience reaction. Hoping to go to 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly tomorow! Love these films

My favourite of the Leone westerns. It's got everything…and a killer soundtrack. Love it, must have been great to see it on the BIG screen.
    It was. And the packed house loved every minute! Had to cancel my trip to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Would have loved to have seen it on the big screen! Oh well.
    The IFI are showing some special screenings of thrillers over the next few Sundays. The Day of the Jackal..Three Days of the Condor and The Parallax View. Hope to get to see one or all!
    Watching ‘Play Misty For Me’ ,brilliant stuff and love the jazz music throughout.

Fatal Attraction et al have a hell of a lot of debt owed to this classic.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Watching ‘Play Misty For Me’ ,brilliant stuff and love the jazz music throughout.

Need to watch Play Misty For Me again soon. Have a double-DVD with The Eiger Sanction, so I might make it a double feature!

Need to watch Play Misty For Me again soon. Have a double-DVD with The Eiger Sanction, so I might make it a double feature!

Both are excellent.

Both are excellent.

Haven't watched either of them in at least 10-12 years, so it's about time for a rewatch.
    They won't go for a Dirty Harry film. Not in today's climate where a hero like that is antagonized by the PC culture it would cause a public havoc by a very loud and lousy "minority" who'd condemn the filmmakers for "glorifying a killer cop."
    I think politically there has always been a media outcry against these types of vigilante-style movies. I certainly remember it that way back in the 70s. I think the fundamental difference is that audiences have changed a lot since then and the Eighties. Cinemagoers of the 70s liked nothing better than giving the bird to the stuck-up media types and going to see what they objected to. In those days, there really was no such thing as bad publicity.

Nowadays, the average cinemagoer is very much part of a collective hive mentality. If a group of people decide a certain movie is great, everyone elects that movie to be great, and vice versa. I also think modern audiences maybe a bit too sensitive for this type of brash movie and would not quite understand the irony. The delicate little souls would probably be outraged by Harry Callahan and now see him just as an ultra-fascist, State-sponsored executioner who should be put away for his crimes. Of course, forgetting that police weren't entirely popular in the US at the time of Dirty Harry's original 1971 release either. What with the city riots sparked by police brutality and student demonstrations that turned violent due to overzealous policing. A movie about a trigger-happy cop should, by all accounts, have failed at the BO. But it didn't. And I guess the main reason for this is perhaps because Harry was as much against the pompous, stony-faced authority figures just as much as the audience was... and of course, they liked to see the bad guys get their comeuppance. I think if a modern Dirty Harry movie was made for the current market, it would have to be a very sanitised PG-13 with Harry Callahan having to don a cape and a mask, and he'd have to be given some kind of special super power, of course. On seconds thoughts, let's forget rebooting Dirty Harry and leave the memory untarnished.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Just reading up on 'The Eiger Sanction' and I didn't realise that Claudine Auger had a part in the film but was axed just before release in 1975.
    I didn't know that. I wonder which part she would have played? I saw The Eiger Sanction with High Plains Drifter as a double bill back in 76 I think it was. Maybe the same year as I saw The Outlaw Josey Wales. Of course, two totally different kinds of movies, but what a double bill!! I loved them both equally.

This might be controversial to some, but as much as I love the Dollar movies, I'd say The Outlaw Josey Wales is Eastwood's best western. I just love the way he turns from a weak, normal family man (only glimpsed at the beginning) into the devil incarnate. Of course, The Unforgiven must have been written with this same character very much in mind. I believe the original script was first drafted the same year as Josey Wales came out. The dialogue for Joesy Wales is brilliant. And as much as I love Ennio Morricone's scores, Jerry Fielding's Josey Wales is a brutal, rousing and at times disturbing score.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I wonder which part she would have played? I saw The Eiger Sanction with High Plains Drifter as a double bill back in 76 I think it was. Maybe the same year as I saw The Outlaw Josey Wales. Of course, two totally different kinds of movies, but what a double bill!! I loved them both equally.

This might be controversial to some, but as much as I love the Dollar movies, I'd say The Outlaw Josey Wales is Eastwood's best western. I just love the way he turns from a weak, normal family man (only glimpsed at the beginning) into the devil incarnate. Of course, The Unforgiven must have been written with this same character very much in mind. I believe the original script was first drafted the same year as Josey Wales came out. The dialogue for Joesy Wales is brilliant. And as much as I love Ennio Morricone's scores, Jerry Fielding's Josey Wales is a brutal, rousing and at times disturbing score.

Agree. Fantastic film in my top 5 Westerns.
    Dyin' ain't much of a living', boy

An 11 Apr 1975 memorandum found in AMPAS library production files announced that the role of “Felicity,” played by Claudine Auger, had been “eliminated” from the picture.

Brilliant line. That's making me smile already.

Out of curiosity, what are your other top 5 Westerns @Lancaster007?
    An 11 Apr 1975 memorandum found in AMPAS library production files announced that the role of “Felicity,” played by Claudine Auger, had been “eliminated” from the picture.
    Thanks for that. She's in Trevanian's book. Felicity Arce (pronounced Arse). She's Hemlock's assignment-briefer whom he seduces and beds. Only a small role and probably superfluous and too rude a name to include in the movie. I'm guessing Eastwood ran a thick marker pen through those scenes.

Thanks for that. She's in Trevanian's book. Felicity Arce (pronounced Arse). She's Hemlock's assignment-briefer whom he seduces and beds. Only a small role and probably superfluous and too rude a name to include in the movie. I'm guessing Eastwood ran a thick marker pen through those scenes.

Interesting..i bet she still looked good only 10 years after TB as well.
    Claudine Auger, ca.1975...

claudine-auger-ca1975-picture-id135869185

Oh, it's probably fluid but at the moment, and in no particular order.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
    For A Few Dollars More
    Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid
    The Longriders
    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
    Claudine Auger, ca.1975...

claudine-auger-ca1975-picture-id135869185

Looking good,shame we cant see the footage anywhere,i presume they had filmed the scene by that time in '75.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
    For A Few Dollars More
    The Longriders
    That's a good list. It's hard to pin-down a Top 5 for me as I don't really go in for lists too much. But if I were to put any kind of list together it would read something like this...

The Outlaw Josey Wales
    For A Few Dollars More
    The Searchers
    Rio Bravo
    The Unforgiven
    The Wild Bunch

... and I do like Jeremiah Johnson as an alternative wilderness western. And if Ridley Scott ever gets to take his thumb out of his backside, then I'm sure S. Craig Zahler's Wraiths of the Broken Land will be on that list, too.
    Looking good,shame we cant see the footage anywhere,i presume they had filmed the scene by that time in '75.
    I don't think we'll ever see any Eastwood deleted scenes from his 70's movies. There's deleted scenes in the Magnum Force that have never seen the light of day also. One member of an Eastwood fan site emailed David Soul who appeared in TMF and put the question to him about a certain missing scene that there are photos for.

His response was: "After leaving Charlie McCoy's family at the airport, Harry and Davis (David Soul) drive back together. Davis needs cigarettes, so they stop off at a bowling alley and decide to grab a beer. As they enter, a group of young people leave and are quickly followed by two guys in work uniforms. Davis suspects something and follows them around the building. He arrives to find the two guys beating the lone black kid of the group. As he begins fighting off one of the attackers, the other charges with him a knife.

Harry appears, beer in hand, only to smash the charging attacker's head with the bottle. He then rushes to the young boy's aid and attempts to revive him, but he is already dead. (The boy's friends have informed them that he has a heart condition.) Turning his attention back to the struggle, he sees Davis slam the other man's head into a car fender. When Harry points out that the man was already unconscious, Davis simply smiles, "I know,". By now, several onlookers have gathered around the young boy's body.

Davis addresses the crowd, asking them how much longer they will tolerate this sort of criminal behaviour in their city. As his speech becomes more heated, Harry stands back, taking it all in curiously. One of the largest scenes to be cut from the series, possibly to avoid another racially motivated death (after Charlie Russell's death in Dirty Harry), or to avoid giving Harry another clue that he didn't really need."

clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=38.0

I'd thought I'd share that deleted scene with you as I know you're a big Eastwood fan.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
    For A Few Dollars More
    The Longriders
    That's a good list. It's hard to pin-down a Top 5 for me as I don't really go in for lists too much. But if I were to put any kind of list together it would read something like this...

The Outlaw Josey Wales
    For A Few Dollars More
    The Searchers
    Rio Bravo
    The Unforgiven
    The Wild Bunch

... and I do like Jeremiah Johnson as an alternative wilderness western. And if Ridley Scott ever gets to take his thumb out of his backside, then I'm sure S. Craig Zahler's Wraiths of the Broken Land will be on that list, too.

That's a great film too.