"Go ahead....make my day"...Dirty Harry ,Clint Eastwood discussion.

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    People might not like this, but I’m actually a fan of City Heat, as well.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRc2iu9t_QL-8EH2LCKjdJPdfOq5Bj1uWqKnyqla1FF8_K2ugA_Ig

;)
    barryt007 wrote: »

You telling me you don't remotely find yourself enjoying that one? ;)

h64B06720

;)

h64B06720
    ;)
    I'm positively shocked myself, old boy. ;)

h64B06720
    ;)

Hahaha no seriously I can take any film good or bad if Clint is in it.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423

h64B06720
    ;)
    It's definitely not a groundbreaking film, I'll admit. But, the banter and the several fights Clint and Burt Reynolds got into do make me laugh a lot. Burt reveals a big gun, Clint reveals a bigger gun. :))

There are a few Clint Eastwood films I don't enjoy, those being Any Which Way but Lose, its sequel Any Which Way You Can, and Bronco Billy for instance.

h64B06720
    ;)
    It's definitely not a groundbreaking film, I'll admit. But, the banter and the several fights Clint and Burt Reynolds got into do make me laugh a lot. Burt reveals a big gun, Clint reveals a bigger gun. :))

Yeah that's a funny moment,a definite nod to Callahan.

h64B06720
    ;)

There are a few Clint Eastwood films I don't enjoy, those being Any Which Way but Lose, its sequel Any Which Way You Can, and Bronco Billy for instance.

I always felt that scene in CITY HEAT was kind of an homage to the Warner Bros Bugs Bunny cartoons that spoofed the '30's gangster era where they had enormous guns.
    I really like CITY HEAT as well. It's fun to see Clint in a period comedy, and I love pretty much anything set in that era.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    A film that is generally overlooked/dismissed is Joe Kidd! Based on an Elmore Leonard script and directed by John Sturges...I really enjoy this one. Has a great Lalo Schifrin score too!
    A friend and I loved watching Joe Kidd. Great cast in it too.

A smaller Eastwood film I've always liked was Honkeytonk Man, which was something of a bomb from around 1982. Just a good small period picture with Kyle Eastwood in a costarring role.

In the Line of Fire's teaser trailer is one of my all-time favorites with Malkovich's villain talking up his plan to kill the president to Eastwood on the phone, who turns, cocks his gun and says in that classic speech pattern, "That's not gonna' happen." Classic.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Other than The Dollars Trilogy, High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider are two of Clints westerns I watched hundreds of times.
    High Plains Drifter is superb. Works as a thriller too.
    I don't really like Pale Rider....loose remake of Shane. It's nowhere near as good as The Outlaw Josey Wales!
    Just watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot last night. Great movie, written and directed by Michael Cimino. That ending gets me every time!
    Yeah..sad ending but it works.
    I remember seeing THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES years ago in a cinema that ran classic films on the weekends. It was a blast, though the print had turn rather magenta . Always cool to see an Eastwood film on the big screen.
    I have to admit, it was ten years ago or so when I saw Josey Wales first, but was left vastly disappointed. Well, after having seen The Dollars Trilogy, I was very hyped about this one, but it was nothing remotely like those Spaghetti Westerns which was one of the reasons I haven't seen it since. I share the same views on Joe Kidd.

But, seeing you chaps are giving it a worthy praise, I might have to watch it again after all these years and see if my perspective changes on the matter.
    It has been some time since I saw JOSEY WALES. Back in '91 I remember Timothy Dalton on The Arsenio Hall Show mentioning it was one of his favorite films.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I have to admit, it was ten years ago or so when I saw Josey Wales first, but was left vastly disappointed. Well, after having seen The Dollars Trilogy, I was very hyped about this one, but it was nothing remotely like those Spaghetti Westerns which was one of the reasons I haven't seen it since. I share the same views on Joe Kidd.

But, seeing you chaps are giving it a worthy praise, I might have to watch it again after all these years and see if my perspective changes on the matter.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It has been some time since I saw JOSEY WALES. Back in '91 I remember Timothy Dalton on The Arsenio Hall Show mentioning it was one of his favorite films.

Y'all git along and waatch ma film boys now,ya hear ?

clintthe-outlaw-josey-wales-1_758_426_81_s.jpg
    Certainly, ol' chum. ;)
    A bunch of Eastwood thoughts/stuff:

- I enjoy Firefox. By my count, it's one of only two spy thrillers Clint Eastwood made, so it's already interesting. But all the tense scenes in Moscow --the airport, the subway-- are terrific, as is the lead up in the military base to Eastwood taking off with the Firefox. Fine score by Maurice Jarre, too. There is a suspenseful piece heard when Clint is walking the streets of Moscow at night that's pretty cool. Unreleased, sadly.

- High Plains Drifter is a fine film. A dark one, too, which feels like it's almost reveling in being as mean-spirited as it is. You know, in Spain they changed the title of the film to Cowards' Hell. In English, that phrase may not roll off the tongue as well as in Spanish, but its meaning is rather appropriate.

- Admittedly, Josey Wales is very different from Sergio Leone's westerns. Leone's films make the West into something mythical, larger-than-life, while Josey Wales, despite striving to show a series of colorful situations and characters, feels considerably more realistic, and it clearly makes a bigger effort to reflect the cultural landscape of that time period.

- If you haven't seen this, enjoy:
    TedPostRogMoore.gif
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,599
    Josey Wales is one of the top 10 westerns ever IMHO. The structure is really clever, with a series of set pieces, the cast building as a community builds around the lead character but still central themes running through the core of the movie and a climax that is both tense and understated. It's a million miles away from the Leone era and I can see why a fan of one would struggle with the other.

Some of the dialogue is brilliant with so many great lines, shared between Wales and the supporting characters. (the supporting cast or superb IMHO)

And lets not forget, CE directed and played the central role.

Fletcher: Damn you, Senator. You promised me those men would be decently treated.

Senator Lane: They were decently treated. They were decently fed and then they were decently shot. Those men are common outlaws, nothing more.

patb wrote: »
    Josey Wales is one of the top 10 westerns ever IMHO. The structure is really clever, with a series of set pieces, the cast building as a community builds around the lead character but still central themes running through the core of the movie and a climax that is both tense and understated. It's a million miles away from the Leone era and I can see why a fan of one would struggle with the other.

Some of the dialogue is brilliant with so many great lines, shared between Wales and the supporting characters. (the supporting cast or superb IMHO)

And lets not forget, CE directed and played the central role.

Fletcher: Damn you, Senator. You promised me those men would be decently treated.

Senator Lane: They were decently treated. They were decently fed and then they were decently shot. Those men are common outlaws, nothing more.

You left out the best line
    Fletcher "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There were plans for a sequel to Firefox, based on the next book, that never came to fruition.
    Classic :

harry_callahan-class_act28.jpg
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Couldn't manage to pick only five but here are my top ten favourite Eastwood films:

1 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    2 Unforgiven
    3 Dirty Harry
    4 For a Few Dollars More
    5 High Plains Drifter
    6 The Outlaw Josey Wales
    7 Where Eagles Dare
    8 Magnum Force
    9 Million Dollar Baby
    10 Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
    NSGW wrote: »
    Couldn't manage to pick only five but here are my top ten favourite Eastwood films:

1 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    2 Unforgiven
    3 Dirty Harry
    4 For a Few Dollars More
    5 High Plains Drifter
    6 The Outlaw Josey Wales
    7 Where Eagles Dare
    8 Magnum Force
    9 Million Dollar Baby
    10 Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Perfect!
    Just watching ‘Clint Eastwood- A life in film ‘ that I recorded off Sky Arts channel x it’s brilliant..I’ve never seen Clint so open as he is naturally shy.
    If u can download it then go for it .
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Does anyone know why THE DEAD POOL ended up being the last? I can remember the Dirty Harry films being consistently popular when I was a kid. I'd have thought Clint could have made a 6th outing sometime in the '90's.
    @ToTheRight, another reason why a sixth film wasn't made may have been that The Dead Pool underperformed in the US at the box office. It was Clint's least successful period, with Pink Cadillac also a failure in that respect. That failure probably contributed to Clint's opinion that Dirty Harry had been played out, as he said he felt he had made "one film too many."

Personally, I think he could've made another one, and in fact, I think of Blood Work as a quasi-Dirty Harry film, since he plays a cop and, well, is Clint Eastwood.
    The Rookie,Tightrope and The Gauntlet could be Harry films to imo
    The Gauntlet would definitely be a Harry film. Tightrope should have been the fourth installment rather than Sudden Impact.

I could do without The Dead Pool and The Rookie, though. Late 80s early 90s films definitely lacked in delivering decent material for the most part unless a film was built on intellectual grounds.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watching ‘Clint Eastwood- A life in film ‘ that I recorded off Sky Arts channel x it’s brilliant..I’ve never seen Clint so open as he is naturally shy.
    If u can download it then go for it .

That's on my Sky watchlist not got round to giving it a look.