"Go ahead....make my day"...Dirty Harry ,Clint Eastwood discussion.

Comments

Yes, CE was 41 when he make Dirty Harry which was perfect in terms of going on and being able to make a series.
    patb wrote: »
    Yes, CE was 41 when he make Dirty Harry which was perfect in terms of going on and being able to make a series.

Lucky indeed for us Clint/DH fans !
    Apparently the original script had Scorpio killed by a sniper at the end, but when Clint got cast and Siegel hired they rewrote the more exciting showdown with the bus. (And Clint does his own stunt leaping onto it!)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    At one point, the draft that was eventually evolved to Magnum Force was to serve as the main storyline for the first Dirty Harry while the Scorpio storyline was to be somewhat a PTS introducing Callahan. Glad that was ditched and they made a whole film about Callahan pursuing Scorpio instead, as that was the original plan.
    I used to pick up my kids from play group and sometimes they would sing "Row row row your boat" . Another classic movie scene that is in your minds eye when your hear the song. Just classic. Robinson was brilliant IMHO
    I used to pick up my kids from play group and sometimes they would sing "Row row row your boat" . Another classic movie scene that is in your minds eye when your hear the song. Just classic. Robinson was brilliant IMHO

One of the best villains ever,just totally bonkers.
    The only way you could stop him re-offending is to kill him.
    Which is what Harry did.

I shouldn't but I love it on the buss when he starts hitting the kids. Its a movie taboo that Robinson broke and it really does up the stakes.
    The Seventies was a great time to be an Eastwood fan: High Plains Drifter, Magnum Force, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Eiger Sanction, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Enforcer... I even liked The Gauntlet.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The Seventies was a great time to be an Eastwood fan: High Plains Drifter, Magnum Force, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Eiger Sanction, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Enforcer... I even liked The Gauntlet.

I love 'The Gauntlet'.
    Its the best Eastwood/Locke team-up of all the films they did together.

I love Clint's face when the cop in the car starts getting all horny over Malley,and then flips when she says "Oh,by the way,does your wife know that you masterbate ? "
    bondsum wrote: »

Great movies. I particularly like Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Eastwood and Jeff Bridges are great double act and it has one of the saddest endings ever!
    The Gauntlet is a guilty pleasure.....really good action scenes! Loose remake by Bruce Willis in 16 Blocks!
    As far as loose remakes go,16 Blocks is one of the better ones.
    It didn't try to compete with The Gauntlet,which would have been a mistake.
    barryt007 wrote: »

It's one of Willis better films.
    Am surprised a straight remake of The Gauntlet hasn't happened!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

It's one of Willis better films.
    Am surprised a straight remake of The Gauntlet hasn't happened!

Remake a Clint film ? They would be mad !
    Gerard wrote: »
    Just found out this one while doing a research on the books, and I couldn't help but share it with you :

083970d33e69f8af1d9e9d91abe5b1b1.jpg
    A story about a brave hero and his magical artifact, which can transport people to the afterlife...

By blowing their heads clean off
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Just found out this one while doing a research on the books, and I couldn't help but share it with you :
    083970d33e69f8af1d9e9d91abe5b1b1.jpg
    A story about a brave hero and his magical artifact, which can transport people to the afterlife...

By blowing their heads clean off
    And this gentleman wins the day.
    Its also on the record that Frank Sinatra was going to play DH!! can you imagine

As was John Wayne,Robert Mitchum,Steve McQueen and Burt Lancaster !

I cant see anyone else playing Harry if not Clint.

I'm amazed the sequel/remake-happy executives haven't tried to go with a young actor to step in as Harry. That I can't imagine either. Sadly, nothing is sacred anymore; the new Han Solo film is proof of that.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    They won't go for a Dirty Harry film. Not in today's climate where a hero like that is antagonized by the PC culture it would cause a public havoc by a very loud and lousy "minority" who'd condemn the filmmakers for "glorifying a killer cop."
    They won't go for a Dirty Harry film. Not in today's climate where a hero like that is antagonized by the PC culture it would cause a public havoc by a very loud and lousy "minority" who'd condemn the filmmakers for "glorifying a killer cop."

True. The new Death Wish didn't exactly go down well. It would probably be the same for Dirty Harry.

Certain icons needs to be left alone, and Harry is one of them, IMO. If a Dirty Harry reboot/remake with a younger actor were to have happened it probably would have been 10 years ago at least.

It's been 30 years now since the last Dirty Harry film, and at this point there probably isn't enough of a nostalgia for it to warrant a new version.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,599
    The time period in which Dirty Harry was made IMHO makes it an even more interesting film. We need cultural benchmarks like this in order to compare where we are to where we have been. People will then make their own judgements on whether we have moved forward or back. A little like Robocop (original) , Dirty Harry is a highly political and highly enjoyable film. There is so much going on. Overdue for a re-watch. Never seen it on the big screen, would love that. I fear the next time we will see a big CE movie fest is in response to his passing.

Perhaps we should choose our top five CE movies? (or has that been done)..oh well...

Oulaw Josey Wales
    Dirty Harry
    Unforgiven
    Firefox (yes, I know , cheese)
    Gran Torino

PS in the opening scene of DH, Harry pauses on top of the skyscraper and looks out over the city that he is protecting. Like Batman, I thought. Then the Joker similar to Harry's enemy. Turns out, many people online have made the same connection. So much for original thought :-)

• edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Wow that's a tough job

Off hand, I would have to say :

Play Misty For Me
    Magnum Force
    Dirty Harry
    In The Line Of Fire
    The Good,The Bad,And The Ugly.

I suppose if they were to bring Harry Callahan back,then Clint could direct the film,with this chap starring as Harry :

rs_634x1024-161016123958-634.scott-eastwood.cm.101616.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

220px-Scott_Eastwood_52nd_Annual_Publicists_Awards_-_Feb_2015_%28cropped%29.jpg

The time period in which Dirty Harry was made IMHO makes it an even more interesting film. We need cultural benchmarks like this in order to compare where we are to where we have been. People will then make their own judgements on whether we have moved forward or back. A little like Robocop (original) , Dirty Harry is a highly political and highly enjoyable film. There is so much going on. Overdue for a re-watch. Never seen it on the big screen, would love that. I fear the next time we will see a big CE movie fest is in response to his passing.

Perhaps we should choose our top five CE movies? (or has that been done)..oh well...

Oulaw Josey Wales
    Dirty Harry
    Unforgiven
    Firefox (yes, I know , cheese)
    Gran Torino

PS in the opening scene of DH, Harry pauses on top of the skyscraper and looks out over the city that he is protecting. Like Batman, I thought. Then the Joker similar to Harry's enemy. Turns out, many people online have made the same connection. So much for original thought :-)

You are really do not have the good, the bad, and I ugly in your top five but Firefox ( which for itself it’s a perfectly fine movies, don’t get me wrong )? I really don’t mean to insult you, but I will never be able to wrap my mind around that. After all we are talking about the greatest entertaining movie ever made!
    I know, I know, There is something so so wonderfully 80s about Firefox. It's CE's version of Rocky. I'm not saying it's objectively good. I just really enjoy watching it. Pure escapism. And it has a great supporting cast.

"You must think in Russian."

The Good , the Bad etc is a classic no doubt but I find it hard going and a little joyless.
    A film that is generally overlooked/dismissed is Joe Kidd! Based on an Elmore Leonard script and directed by John Sturges...I really enjoy this one. Has a great Lalo Schifrin score too!
    Don't rate Firefox...It's quite boring and not a typical Eastwood flick!
    High Plains Drifter is another great one!
    And let's not forget Where Eagles Dare!! Marvellous stuff!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm a huge fan of Firefox. Love it. It has a gritty 80's quality to it. In fact, I'm due another viewing soon. Freddie Jones is a hoot.

I just finished Dirty Harry and Magnum Force a few days back. Don't get me wrong, I love the original but I still much prefer the sequel. It's a pleasure to see greats like Hal Holbrook as well as other well known actors like David Soul, Robert Ulrich and Tim Matheson in their early days, and the concept of vigilantism and abuse of power/authority is more interesting to me. I just wish it would have ended with a shootout between Soul's Davis and Harry. The death by fall into the Bay seemed a tad anticlimactic after the tense buildup (love the car/bike chase which preceded it).
    Freddie Jones going for the "over acting of the century" award !! but somehow, you just love it. In contrast, Nigel Hawthorne really does act and the scene where he is killed is proper cinema.

Magnum Force was a very clever reaction to those who criticised DH for being some kind of right wing, facist movie. It showed that, on the spectrum, Harry was actually part of the establishment and worked within it. It also used it as an opportunithy for us to know more about his character, re his family back story, bleak bedsit, hot neighbour etc etc,

Hard to think of a better double bill than Dirty Harry and Magnum Force.
    Freddie Jones going for the "over acting of the century" award !! but somehow, you just love it. In contrast, Nigel Hawthorne really does act and the scene where he is killed is proper cinema.

Magnum Force was a very clever reaction to those who criticised DH for being some kind of right wing, facist movie. It showed that, on the spectrum, Harry was actually part of the establishment and worked within it. It also used it as an opportunithy for us to know more about his character, re his family back story, bleak bedsit, hot neighbour etc etc,

Hard to think of a better double bill than Dirty Harry and Magnum Force.

As much as I,too,love Dirty Harry,i do prefer Magnum Force by a tiny tiny amount.

But I enjoy all the DH films...well,it's Clint..he's the man.
    I remember going to see Beverly Hills Cop and finding it sold out, so I went to see City Heat with Clint and Burt Reynolds. I should have went home. Terrible film. When Clints good he's really good...but he has made some stinkers!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Top five

FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
    FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
    THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
    UNFORGIVEN
    A PERFECT WORLD
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I remember going to see Beverly Hills Cop and finding it sold out, so I went to see City Heat with Clint and Burt Reynolds. I should have went home. Terrible film. When Clints good he's really good...but he has made some stinkers!

Apparantly the film wasn't a pleasant production at all,Burt Reynolds got his jaw busted by a metal chair on the first day of filming and was on liquid food for a while.
    My five personal favorites:

1. THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY
    2. FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
    3. DIRTY HARRY
    4. IN THE LINE OF FIRE
    5. HANG EM HIGH