"Go ahead....make my day"...Dirty Harry ,Clint Eastwood discussion.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Imagine a scene like this in a film these days?

That's right. You can't.

Tremendous scene. Sadly more applicable now than ever, it seems. I side with Harry on this. Best man (or woman) for the job.
    Highly recommend getting these films on Bluray, started revisiting the films they look fantastic
    I have the set and recently purchased a 4K tv with accompanying 4k player. Looking forward to revisiting all of these shortly.

Welcome to the 4K club a great excuse to watch all your movies again and see what the upscale is like, Dirty Harry looked great, I have stalled a bit working my way through the box set been very busy. I have two weeks off now so I'll watch Magnum Force soon.
    I'm really looking forward to revisiting this series. It's a shame that there's not a lot of 4K content out there, and what there is remains bloody expensive. Magnum Force is my favourite of the bunch.

I watched DN the other night (the first blu ray I viewed) and it was quite stunning upscaled.

Wait till you see FRWL upscaled the colour and detail is very impressive, I saw a recent list of upcoming 4K titles the format is starting to gain traction and hopefully drop in price with more people buying 4K TV's. I think the World Cup (Football) will see a increase in sales of 4K tech. Currently Netflix has a decent amount of 4K content to stream.
    That's great to read. A Netflix subscription is the next thing on my list. I agree that the World Cup will likely be the catalyst for a drop in prices and increase in content. At least I hope so! Looking forward to the matches too.

I'm currently watching SF and my word it's like seeing it for the first time. The level of detail is spectacular. I've picked up a lot of new peripheral elements, including on M's apartment curtains. I'm at the interrogation scene now and I'm noticing new aspects in Craig's facial movements while answering the questions from the psych. The sound is superb too and there's a lot of separation in my home theatre system. I'll get to FRWL, TB and the Harry films soon. Can't wait.
    I'd like to offer some brief thoughts on each Dirty Harry entry, to hopefully spark some discussion on their individual strengths and weaknesses.

1) Dirty Harry: The best of them all, a very exciting and thematically provocative film. Narratively, it's like a speeding bullet: not a single second is wasted; it's one long, relentless chase from beginning to end, with only a small but necessary break in the tension at the halfway point. Features the best villain in the series, and probably one of the best film villains ever. It's also beautifully shot, with some gritty, energetic handheld photography, and near-pitch black footage in some of the night scenes, which makes them highly immersive and visceral.

2) Magnum Force: A good sequel with a terrific premise, and an interesting and much more elaborate plot than the first film. I think its only important weakness is that some scenes in the first hour feel a bit tacked on --probably because they were added to improve the flow of the narrative-- but it's an otherwise solid film. Hal Holbrook's role is especially satisfying.

3) The Enforcer: The weakest of the five films. As usual by now, it has some interesting things to say, this time about women in the workplace, and Tyne Daly makes for a pretty great partner to Harry, but the main story is not interesting enough and the motivation of the villains is essentially non-existent (to a degree, that's kind of the point, but it's not satisfying enough from the point of view of narrative interest). It's still an okay film, though, with some memorable scenes, including the opening robbery, the police evaluation scene, the rooftop chase and the Alcatraz climax.

4) Sudden Impact: You can tell this film was directed by Eastwood. It feels much closer to mentor Don Siegel's original: edgy, gritty, and with plenty of nighttime shooting. This is a solid entry and a return to form after the last film. It has plenty to offer: a much-welcome change of locale; a new spin on the now-familiar themes of law and justice, presented through Sondra Locke's character; one slimy bunch of villains (headed by Paul Drake playing a grade-A creep); and an engaging detective story which presents a number of interesting and conflicted characters. About the one thing I don't care about is the cartoonish way in which the mob hitmen are presented, as it feels a bit out of place given the overall tone of the film, but the film is otherwise well-made.

5) The Dead Pool: I did a complete 180 degrees turn on this film. Didn't care for it at first, until I revisited it last year and had a blast with it. What turned me off the first time is that it's far removed from the original film: it feels comfortable, rather than provocative, and even though, as usual, it does have some interesting things to say about society, for the most part, it's a funny and rather lighthearted entry. Unlike with Sudden Impact, here, cartoonish mob hitmen aren't necessarily a weakness, since they actually fit the tone of the film. But anyway, on rewatch I just accepted the film's sense of fun, to the point I now rank it second! I must say the premise --focusing on the subject of celebrity and Harry's own newfound fame-- is inspired, and the cast --featuring Liam Neeson, Patricia Clarkson and Jim Carrey-- is solid, which makes up for the fact the bad guy is a non-threatening non-entity. Great fun.

My ranking, then:
    1) Dirty Harry: the undisputed best.
    2) The Dead Pool: as I said, great fun.
    3) Magnum Force / Sudden Impact: solid entries.
    4) The Enforcer: just okay.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339

I love all the Dirty Harry films,they are all so well made and show a great insight into the era's of my childhood,the 70's and 80's.

And Clint as he always is ,is a total legend.
    He always cheers me up,mad as it may seem,as Harry.

My rankings atm :

1) Magnum Force (always bounces back and fourth 1-2 place with DH).
    2) Dirty Harry
    3) The Dead Pool (the one and only DH film i got to see at the cinema !)
    4) Sudden Impact
    5) The Enforcer
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,102
    Imagine a scene like this in a film these days?

That's right. You can't.

Tremendous scene. Sadly more applicable now than ever, it seems. I side with Harry on this. Best man (or woman) for the job.
    Highly recommend getting these films on Bluray, started revisiting the films they look fantastic
    I have the set and recently purchased a 4K tv with accompanying 4k player. Looking forward to revisiting all of these shortly.

Welcome to the 4K club a great excuse to watch all your movies again and see what the upscale is like, Dirty Harry looked great, I have stalled a bit working my way through the box set been very busy. I have two weeks off now so I'll watch Magnum Force soon.
    I'm really looking forward to revisiting this series. It's a shame that there's not a lot of 4K content out there, and what there is remains bloody expensive. Magnum Force is my favourite of the bunch.

I watched DN the other night (the first blu ray I viewed) and it was quite stunning upscaled.

Wait till you see FRWL upscaled the colour and detail is very impressive, I saw a recent list of upcoming 4K titles the format is starting to gain traction and hopefully drop in price with more people buying 4K TV's. I think the World Cup (Football) will see a increase in sales of 4K tech. Currently Netflix has a decent amount of 4K content to stream.
    That's great to read. A Netflix subscription is the next thing on my list. I agree that the World Cup will likely be the catalyst for a drop in prices and increase in content. At least I hope so! Looking forward to the matches too.

I'm currently watching SF and my word it's like seeing it for the first time. The level of detail is spectacular. I've picked up a lot of new peripheral elements, including on M's apartment curtains. I'm at the interrogation scene now and I'm noticing new aspects in Craig's facial movements while answering the questions from the psych. The sound is superb too and there's a lot of separation in my home theatre system. I'll get to FRWL, TB and the Harry films soon. Can't wait.

The earlier Bond films look great, regarding detail MR is eye popping and was a stand out.

My brother watched LALD round here recently and kept pretending to touch the screen, I said what are you doing, he said it's like Roger Moore was in the same room as us lol. God knows what the Bond films will look like when given the full 4K restoration.

Going to try to watch Magnum Force tonight.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Watching these films, I learned to never, ever ask Callahan for a car.

Or to be his partner !!!
    I'm surprised some out Magnum Force ahead of Dirty Harry. For me the first is still the best. Don Siegel was a superb thriller director and he outshines Ted Post in every way. Don't get me wrong, I love the sequel (and it has writing credits from John Milus and Michael Cimino!!)
    But it's not as tight or as visceral as the original!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised some out Magnum Force ahead of Dirty Harry. For me the first is still the best. Don Siegel was a superb thriller director and he outshines Ted Post in every way. Don't get me wrong, I love the sequel (and it has writing credits from John Milus and Michael Cimino!!)
    But it's not as tight or as visceral as the original!

+1

Magnum Force is a great film, but I much prefer the claustrophobic and raw feeling of the first film. Plus, full-blown pyschopaths are always more interesting than dirty cops.

The Enforcer wasn't bad but the less said about the last two, the better.
    Dirty Harry is a genuine classic. As with many films, due to its mainstream, action topics, the director never gets the credit he deserves. it's wonderfully put together.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Watching these films, I learned to never, ever ask Callahan for a car.

Or to be his partner !!!
    Even the martial artist winds up in the hospital!
    1. DIRTY HARRY
    2. SUDDEN IMPACT
    3. THE ENFORCER
    4. MAGNUM FORCE
    5. THE DEAD POOL

I really like THE ENFORCER and MAGNUM FORCE equally, but the hilarious scene in THE ENFORCER where he goes into the brothel and is about to be taught how to make it with a doll gives the film the edge.
    Then again.........I love the airport bit in MAGNUM FORCE. Clint Eastwood acts well with food. He makes eating that dripping messy burger look cool.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood acts well with food. He makes eating that dripping messy burger look cool.
    Yeah. And that scene in Dirty Harry with the hot dog always makes me hungry. He takes one bite out of it and chews on it during the entire shootout. How cool is that? Nothing gets in the way of lunch, not even a 211.

"In progress."
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    Gran Torino
    The Dead Pool
    The Enforcer
    Sudden Impact

I added Gran Torino to that list, because with only minor changes I could see Eastwood's character as retired Harry Callahan.

https://i.gifer.com/8SRG.gif
    Clint Eastwood acts well with food. He makes eating that dripping messy burger look cool.
    Yeah. And that scene in Dirty Harry with the hot dog always makes me hungry. He takes one bite out of it and chews on it during the entire shootout. How cool is that? Nothing gets in the way of lunch, not even a 211.

"In progress."

Every time I eat a hot-dog I feel compelled to take one bite, turn my head then say " Aw, sh!t".
    I've been doing that joke for myself for years.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I just put the first one in my 4K player. The opening scene is absolutely stunning in high def.

EDIT: Although there is some noticeable grain and artifacts present on account of the age of the print.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 6,682

"In progress."

Every time I eat a hot-dog I feel compelled to take one bite, turn my head then say " Aw, sh!t".
    I'll have to create the circumstances that justify my saying that the next time I eat a hot dog!

I just put the first one in my 4K player. The opening scene is absolutely stunning in high def.

EDIT: Although there is some noticeable grain and artifacts present on account of the age of the print.
    The new edition looks great, though I do keep my old fullscreen DVD. I appreciate its gritty look. Suits the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great series. I enjoyed them all.

Here's my rank.

1. Sudden Impact
    2. Dirty Harry
    3. The Dead Pool
    4. The Enforcer
    5. Magnum Force

"In progress."

I'll have to create the circumstances that justify my saying that the next time I eat a hot dog!

The new edition looks great, though I do keep my old fullscreen DVD. I appreciate its gritty look. Suits the film.

I also love the music that plays in the background when Harry is ordering his hot dog.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The opening aerial shot is impressive
    Just found out this one while doing a research on the books, and I couldn't help but share it with you :

083970d33e69f8af1d9e9d91abe5b1b1.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Better than the other Harry Potter. ;)
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,599
    The score for DH is also very good IMHO, just the right mix of tension and swagger. Really adds to the movie.

The openeing title scenes could be used in a "how to direct" studect class...masterful.

Re Gran Torino, I think they made the character a Polish guy as it then reflected the sympathy he showed for younger minorities experiencing what he went through. Although, clearly, there is some DH in there somewhere. An underated film IMHO. Sadly, I think CE's film will only be properly appreciated once he has left us. The PC brigade had rendered many of his movies "out of favour" and yet, for example, Gran Torino has clear liberal themes. (as do many of his movies)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Eastwood s performance in GRAN TORINO was fabulous, as it was in MILLION DOLLAR BABY.
    To my shame, I have not seen MDB, sometimes, they just "slip throuh the net"
    Clint is brilliant whatever film he is in.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    The only one I out-and-out disliked was Dead Pool. The Enforcer was my first experience of having seen it on the big-screen when it came out. Managed to catch the other two as a double-bill shortly afterwards. I'd certainly not put The Enforcer below the last two. Sudden Impact was developed as separate film entirely for Sondra Locke, but was later adapted into a Dirty Harry film and I think it shows. I wasn't so keen on Lalo Schifrin's score either, which sounded more like Herbie Hancock's "Rockit!" which I detested in the 80s. I always felt Harry felt more at home in the 70s than he did the 80s.
    Does anyone know why THE DEAD POOL ended up being the last? I can remember the Dirty Harry films being consistently popular when I was a kid. I'd have thought Clint could have made a 6th outing sometime in the '90's.
    Does anyone know why THE DEAD POOL ended up being the last? I can remember the Dirty Harry films being consistently popular when I was a kid. I'd have thought Clint could have made a 6th outing sometime in the '90's.
    I heard back then that Clint made The Dead Pool in exchange for Warner Brothers backing his directing dream project, Bird. Otherwise we may never have even gotten that film.

Don't know if this is true either but I also recall hearing that the Chuck Norris film Code of Silence was originally supposed to be a Dirty Harry film. That turned out at the time to be one of the more critically respected Chuck Norris movies.

edited May 2018 Posts: 23,102
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I heard back then that Clint made The Dead Pool in exchange for Warner Brothers backing his directing dream project, Bird. Otherwise we may never have even gotten that film.

Don't know if this is true either but I also recall hearing that the Chuck Norris film Code of Silence was originally supposed to be a Dirty Harry film. That turned out at the time to be one of the more critically respected Chuck Norris movies.

Code of Silence is a good film I have it on dvd, I recall the story of Code of Silence being initially wrote to be another film I forgot it was w Dirty Harry picture. It's something that often happens, I recall one of the Die Hard movies was initially supposed to be a Lethal Weapon film.
    Its also on the record that Frank Sinatra was going to play DH!! can you imagine
    patb wrote: »
    Its also on the record that Frank Sinatra was going to play DH!! can you imagine

As was John Wayne,Robert Mitchum,Steve McQueen and Burt Lancaster !

I cant see anyone else playing Harry if not Clint.