Anthony Horowitz's Bond novel - Forever and a Day

Comments

After reading TM, I have no interest in this one.

Agreed
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hope all of those get available somewhere. On their own.
    Bondology is clearly a broad church but PussyNoMore finds the one line dismissals of Horowitz’s work a little bizarre.
    Everyone knows that Fleming is Fleming and he remains incomparable but surely what is of interest - for the thinking literary aficionado - is how the spirit of his work can be embodied in new stories that are exciting in their own right?
    In this regard, The Pussy thinks Horowitz did an excellent job with his debut and has high hopes for FA&D.
    After the combined damage inflicted by Faulks,Deaver and Boyd, literary Bond was on life support. Horowitz has single handily rescued our hero and for that, PussyNoMore is eternally grateful.
    The Pussy also thinks that the movies stopped having a positive effect on the literary franchise after GF and if book Bond is to survive, IFP will have to continue to develop an independent sustainable and consistent strategy.
    A great continuation author is a key component in this. They have him in Horowitz and they should hold on to him.
    For those of us who love thrillers, it has also been of interest to see the positive effect that Sophie Hannah has had on the Christie legacy with her excellent Poirot continuation novels.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Have no issue with Horowitz’s work on Trigger Mortis, either. Of the (few) continuation novels I've read, he's done by far the best job. I'm also a fan of his work in general (books, TV work), so I can enjoy his effort on TM both as a Fleming continuation and a Horowitz book which happens to be a Bond book. For me, that's as good as it can get.

Really looking forward to Forever and a Day. Now that Horowitz has the first book under the belt, I'm sure he can take that experience and do an even better job on this one.
    Question: Horowitz is the first continuation writer who's had access to original material, right? If so, it's quite interesting why IFP haven't given any other writers access to that material in the past, isn't it? Wonder why.
    Question: Horowitz is the first continuation writer who's had access to original material, right? If so, it's quite interesting why IFP haven't given any other writers access to that material in the past, isn't it? Wonder why.

An interesting question. When looked at in the raw, 'Murder On Wheels' was really just a rough outline for the abandoned TV series and perhaps other writers weren't interested because having to weave it into the story added complexity.

Doubtless the original material for F&AD will be from the same source

PussyNoMore recently listened to an interview with Hercule Poirot continuation author, Sophie Hannah, and she talked about the complexities of pleasing the different stakeholders - the family, the publisher and the fans !

Clearly not an easy gig and The Pussy is full of admiration for the way Horowitz approaches it. He knows Bond inside out and is an accomplished author in his own right.
    This gives him the edge over his immediate predecessors who although successful in their own right clearly had zero understanding of Fleming's Bond.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    TM, while not perfect, is the best continuation novel by a mile. It has flashes of inspiration that are on par with Fleming. If FAAD is better than TM, then you've got a great book on your hands and I am excited.

If I were EON, I would seriously be considering obtaining the rights to his novels and ask for his input on the scripts. I also respect him for stating publicly that Bond in SF is not the character.

An interesting question. When looked at in the raw, 'Murder On Wheels' was really just a rough outline for the abandoned TV series and perhaps other writers weren't interested because having to weave it into the story added complexity.

Doubtless the original material for F&AD will be from the same source

PussyNoMore recently listened to an interview with Hercule Poirot continuation author, Sophie Hannah, and she talked about the complexities of pleasing the different stakeholders - the family, the publisher and the fans !

Clearly not an easy gig and The Pussy is full of admiration for the way Horowitz approaches it. He knows Bond inside out and is an accomplished author in his own right.
    This gives him the edge over his immediate predecessors who although successful in their own right clearly had zero understanding of Fleming's Bond.

Agree. Writing a continuation of a well-known book series must give an added pressure that's not there in the same way as an original/own creation. This is why I found it noticeable that the unused Fleming material hadn't been used before Horowitz came along. As you mention, it is very likely the case of the other writers not being interested in weaving the material into their own work. At the same time, having the opportunity to use original material from the creator himself, that hasn't been published before, is almost too good to be true.

Luckily we will have the opportunity to read some of it now. :-)

DoctorNo wrote: »
    TM, while not perfect, is the best continuation novel by a mile. It has flashes of inspiration that are on par with Fleming. If FAAD is better than TM, then you've got a great book on your hands and I am excited.

If I were EON, I would seriously be considering obtaining the rights to his novels and ask for his input on the scripts. I also respect him for stating publicly that Bond in SF is not the character.

Horowitz is very familiar with writing for TV, and could very well write a fantastic Bond script. I see on IMDB he'll be writing the upcoming The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun, with Peter Jackson directing.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    TM, while not perfect, is the best continuation novel by a mile.

Personally, I'd put it fifth .

Fifth? What’s before it?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    COLONEL SUN, the two Wood Adaptations and probably SOLO.
    I liked the Horowitz one okay, as an amusement, but it felt too much like he was trying to ape Fleming in style (and in the most blunt fashion), rather than showing us that world in his own fashion; uncomfortable. And then the whole finale reads as though it was written for the screen, rather than for a novel; didn't work for me.

CS & Wood's TSWLM were masterful IMO.
    I'd have guessed the two Christopher Wood books and Colonel Sun, but Solo? I thought that was quite weak.

Colonel Sun and Trigger Mortis are the best of the continuation novels for me.
    Admittedly I’ve only read Colonol Sun once but didn’t really care for it. It felt so not Fleming to me and I didn’t like the story itself. I didn’t think it was bad by any means but always felt it was a bit overrated.

I’m very curious about Wood being held in such esteem. I bought TSWLM last year but still haven’t read it. Looking forward to it though. I find it hard to believe I guess that there’s a good book in the novelization of MR, but again haven’t read it...

I get the end criticism of TM but some of Fleming himself feels cinematic so it doesn’t take me out of it. I didn’t feel like his trying to be Fleming was straining either. It felt fairly natural and at times as I say, inspired. Now some of it falls short to be sure, so I’m hoping he’s able to write a better one the second time out.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I find it hard to believe I guess that there’s a good book in the novelization of MR, but again haven’t read it...
    It's not as good as his previous one IMO, but it DOES manage to make lemonade out of lemons, as it were.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 850
    deleted

I’m very curious about Wood being held in such esteem. I bought TSWLM last year but still haven’t read it. Looking forward to it though. I find it hard to believe I guess that there’s a good book in the novelization of MR, but again haven’t read it...

PussyNoMore understands the respect accorded to Wood as he managed to make a silk purse out of a sows ear by turning the abominations that were the TSWLM & MR scripts into remotely readable novelisations. No mean feat!
    But, for a Fleming fan, surely this is the equivalent of professing to like a perversion of two great novels by enthusing over the fact that they were less of a perversion than the movies ?
    Ultimately aren’t there are two acid tests for a continuation novel - does it respect and embody the zeitgeist of the original ? And is it a good story in its own right ?
    PussyNoMore thinks that CS and TM did this - Gardner came perilously close with a couple of his early efforts and the rest have missed by some considerable measure.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Anthony Horowitz on James Bond at the Royal Festival Hall, Friday 1st June:

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/129054-anthony-horowitz-james-bond-2018

(thanks to @mybudgetbond for the heads up!)
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say about Bond and the writing process:)
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Anthony Horowitz on James Bond at the Royal Festival Hall, Friday 1st June:

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/129054-anthony-horowitz-james-bond-2018

(thanks to @mybudgetbond for the heads up!)

Bravo to Agent_99 & mybudgetbond.
    Thanks to them we know the name and we know the number : It's the RFH on 1/6 - PussyNoMore will be there !

I will be observing from the side stalls, because I'm the kind of person who will get a crick in their neck to save a tenner.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I will be observing from the side stalls, because I'm the kind of person who will get a crick in their neck to save a tenner.

So just to clarify you have ordered 57 back of venue tickets for The Lion King. ;)
    You know me entirely too well!
    You know me entirely too well!

That's a little quote from Fonejacker by the way. Not sure if you're familiar with it.
    I wasn't! I thought it was an extremely lucky guess, as I have indeed bought standing tickets for The Lion King on several occasions.
    I wasn't! I thought it was an extremely lucky guess, as I have indeed bought standing tickets for The Lion King on several occasions.

Ha ha! Quite the coincidence then! I should be a psychic! :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Knowing me, I'll probably buy a copy of just about every edition going. I'm like that. It's a disease of sorts.

Providing they aren't too expensive, this is the boat i'm in. I have no qualms about buying multiple editions of one book.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Knowing me, I'll probably buy a copy of just about every edition going. I'm like that. It's a disease of sorts.

Providing they aren't too expensive, this is the boat i'm in. I have no qualms about buying multiple editions of one book.

Me too, I collect different editions of all of the Bond novels and sometimes even the same ones! As you say, provided they aren't crazily expensive.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Mrcoggins a visit to ‘specsaver’ might be in order.
    The great Agent_99 advised us about this some time ago albeit you are excused for not noticing because Dragonpol went off at some bizarre tangent.

COLONEL SUN, the two Wood Adaptations and probably SOLO.
    I liked the Horowitz one okay, as an amusement, but it felt too much like he was trying to ape Fleming in style (and in the most blunt fashion), rather than showing us that world in his own fashion; uncomfortable. And then the whole finale reads as though it was written for the screen, rather than for a novel; didn't work for me.

Agreed on the first three. But solo? I found Bond quite boring in that one (and also pretty creepy in some scenes)
    SOLO wasn't great, by any means, but I thought it better than TRIGGER MORTIS

Mon Dieu,
    Birdelson, PussyNoMore has always been a admirer of your views until he read this !