Anthony Horowitz's Bond novel - Forever and a Day

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too thought Solo, as a very poor novel.
    It's funny someone said it was 'unpleasant', because I seem to remember finding something I didn't like in there too. I can't remember what though!
    But it was pretty a naff read.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,302
    Didn't care much for Solo. The book started, had a middle part and ended without being exciting. Bit funny the part between Bond and Bryce Fitzjohn, other than that, nothing really memorable.

That being said, it wasn't badly written or anything. Just failed to match my expectations.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It's been five years since it came out? I already remember nothing from it. It has to be the most boring Bond novel ever written. Even the abysmal Devil May Care had more memorable moments than Solo did.
    It's been five years since it came out? I already remember nothing from it. It has to be the most boring Bond novel ever written. Even the abysmal Devil May Care had more memorable moments than Solo did.

C’est vrai mon ami.
    It was indeed the most boring, but quite well well written, Bond novel ever !

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If I find it, I may check it out.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Though going on previous form you'll still think it's crap, right?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I wouldn t know. I loved Wood s TSWLM, so it isn t a principle. If it was, I wouldn t bother at all.

I wouldn t know. I loved Wood s TSWLM, so it isn t a principle. If it was, I wouldn t bother at all.

You'll have to read or re-read some John Gardner later on, especially NSF.

Haven't seen Trigger Mortis at any bookstores yet. Nice surprise if Forever and a Day will be available to buy at the local bookstore.

Haven't seen Trigger Mortis at any bookstores yet. Nice surprise if Forever and a Day will be available to buy at the local bookstore.

Check with your library.
    I've pre-ordered my copy.

Are you in France?

Check with your library.

Might do that. Prefer to own the books I read, though.

Are you in France?

No, why?

Check with your library.

Are you in France?

No, why?

Oh, just trying to see availability of the novels for you. Something made me think you were in France. Pay me no heed.

Check with your library.

Are you in France?

No, why?

Oh, just trying to see availability of the novels for you. Something made me think you were in France. Pay me no heed.

Oh, I see. No, I'm in Norway.
    Come to think of it, I've actually only seen Bond novels at any bookstore twice in total. CR in 2006 (movie/pocket edition), and Devil May Care about five years ago, I think. There's been other books about Bond, of course. The rest I've ordered online.
    Waterstones still offers their signed edition, but Goldsboro is sold out of their signed and numbered to 750 edition. Still not convinced any edition has Fleming's materials as an added bonus like the Waterstone's TM did.
    JET007 wrote: »
    Waterstones still offers their signed edition, but Goldsboro is sold out of their signed and numbered to 750 edition. Still not convinced any edition has Fleming's materials as an added bonus like the Waterstone's TM did.

The Goldsboro edition is the one to get.
    Their TM exclusive has appreciated very well on the collectable market.
    All editions will be carrying the ‘original Fleming material’ . It is stated on the jacket cover. Whether or not it’s pulled out as a separate vignette - as Waterstones did for their TM launch edition - is a separate question ?

Damn it! Forgot to order the Goldsboro edition!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Anthony Horowitz on James Bond at the Royal Festival Hall, Friday 1st June:

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/129054-anthony-horowitz-james-bond-2018

(thanks to @mybudgetbond for the heads up!)

Bravo to Agent_99 & mybudgetbond.
    Thanks to them we know the name and we know the number : It's the RFH on 1/6 - PussyNoMore will be there !

Is PussyNoMore alone in finding it completely bizarre that this event is’nt advertised on the IFP site?
    If it were not for the diligent field work by Agent_99 and mybudgetbond we’d still be in the dark.
    It is a strange world when the fans are doing the brand owner’s work for them. It must be a truly wonderous thing to be a member of the lucky sperm club.
    They are really going for the gold level ‘Fire, Steady,Aim’ award with this one.
    The Pussy thinks Agent_99 and mybudgetbond Bond should get a kick back on ticket sales !
    Not surprisingly there are lots of tickets still available.

• mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Well the Ian Fleming twitter account has tweeted about it

9_CA013_F8-30_B2-4_FED-9_CDF-74881798756_E.jpg
    Well the Ian Fleming twitter account has tweeted about it

9_CA013_F8-30_B2-4_FED-9_CDF-74881798756_E.jpg

Pussy hopes this doesn’t turn into an embarrassment.
    It’s Friday night. People are often keen to get home and the timing doesn’t even allow the fans to get the book a couple of days in advance.
    Our there enough fanatics to fill the RFH ?

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Ordered my copy from my local independent bookseller, because supporting those is important.

I enthused about NEW BOND and he gave me a sort of fatherly 'bless your heart' look but didn't comment, so I guess he's not a fan.
    Ordered my copy from my local independent bookseller, because supporting those is important.

I enthused about NEW BOND and he gave me a sort of fatherly 'bless your heart' look but didn't comment, so I guess he's not a fan.

Try supporting a different independent bookseller next time.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World

I just don’t understand how anyone could *not* be enthused about a new Bond book?!

I just don’t understand how anyone could *not* be enthused about a new Bond book?!

Maybe because most Bond books after Fleming s death haven t been that much to be enthused about?
    I enjoyed the first five or six J Gardner
    Books, and Trigger Mortis. So I'm
    Looking forward to Forever and a day.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited April 2018 Posts: 3,108
    vzok wrote: »

Well, he's the only one within walking distance and runs a book club with free wine, so I'd like to keep him (and maybe try to educate him)!

But yes, how can anyone (especially a bookseller) not find this exciting?
    vzok wrote: »

Well, he's the only one within walking distance and runs a book club with free wine, so I'd like to keep him (and maybe try to educate him)!

But yes, how can anyone (especially a bookseller) not find this exciting?

Free wine? Nice!
    I enjoyed the first five or six J Gardner
    Books, and Trigger Mortis. So I'm
    Looking forward to Forever and a day.

Me too...regarding all these books, along with John Pearson's Bond biography.