Anthony Horowitz's Bond novel - Forever and a Day

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I like it.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I loved Michael Gillette‘s covers the most
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »

It looks fine to me.

I don't mind it either. The bullet thing is something more subtle and that's always good in my book.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It looks fine to me.

I don't mind it either. The bullet thing is something more subtle and that's always good in my book.

Mon Dieu !
    PussyNoMore is going to insist that his copy is delivered in a plain brown paper wrapper. This ‘boy’s own’ interpretation of mediocrity will never grace his shelf.
    Chopping and Hawkey will be turning in their graves. The place holder was infinitely better.
    Bond forever - bad taste never. This is PussyNoMore’s new slogan.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

It looks fine to me.

Mon Dieu !
    PussyNoMore is going to insist that his copy is delivered in a plain brown paper wrapper. This ‘boy’s own’ interpretation of mediocrity will never grace his shelf.
    Chopping and Hawkey will be turning in their graves. The place holder was infinitely better.

I feel like doing the brown paper bag thing with the original cover of Trigger Mortis. The missile one.

I feel like doing the brown paper bag thing with the original cover of Trigger Mortis. The missile one.

Exactly but given that this abomination is yet to appear on any of the official pages the faint hope remains that this is just a place holder for the likes of Amazon.
    The fact that the OO7 logo appears does make that hope faint but Pussy is desperate and is grasping at straws.

edited March 2018 Posts: 17,803

It looks fine to me.

Mon Dieu !

It looks more like a paperback cover than a hardback cover to me. In any event, it's best not to judge a book by its cover. It's the content of the text inside the covers that counts the most! All the rest is just aesthetics.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Final-UK-half-full-768x507.jpg

I actually like this. Expected the cover image to continue across the whole dust jacket. Did not expect the gun on the edge there. Nice touch.
    Final-UK-half-full-768x507.jpg

I actually like this. Expected the cover image to continue across the whole dust jacket. Did not expect the gun on the edge there. Nice touch.

Yes, and it seems we were correct about the bullet symbolism too. This cover is really growing on me!
    In any event, it's best not to judge a book by its cover. It's the content of the text inside the covers that counts the most! All the rest is just aesthetics.

Interesting words that PussyNoMore has heard before.

A bin bag will keep you dry but it won't look great.

PussyNoMore must demur. For him aesthetics are crucial. He doesn't wear bin bags and wouldn't be seen stiff with a Kindle.

The fabulous thing about great cover art is that it reflects content, stimulates interest and encourages purchase.

There are numerous good examples but there is little doubt that Chopping's cover for FRWL help to elevate Fleming into the Ambler league. It remains the gold standard.

Deighton himself attributes much of his early success to Hawkey's outstanding work and Raymond's capacity to capture the atmosphere of his work.

Unfortunately, this cover is just completely generic.

There are good artists out there. The fact of the matter is that publishers don't want to pay for them. Frankly a barking mad strategy in an e-book world.

I've been trying to pre-order the Waterstones edition (I'm assuming that will once again contain Fleming's original treatment in full) on-line, but the page keeps giving me an error, asking for my State (I'm trying to ship to the US), and I have already entered it. It won't let me complete my order. Anyone else in the US experience this trouble?

Seems to be working fine up to payment info. Didn't give me any trouble and I'm in the US, too. I'm holding off to confirm that it has more than his signature though. I did get the Waterstone's edition for TM and want to do the same for this.

I'm not enthralled by the cover either, but like it a titch more now that I've seen it in full.
    Thanks. It went through smoothly on my laptop, it was on my phone yesterday that I encountered the glitch.

PussyNoMore would recommend you keep your powder dry @Birdleson.
    The special edition strategy is yet to be announced.

Love the cover. That image wouldn't look out of place in an opening credits scene.
    Matt wrote: »
    Love the cover. That image wouldn't look out of place in an opening credits scene.

That's true. Perhaps that was the kind of look they were going for in order to reel in film-only fans too? It reminds one of the TND and QoS titles sequences in particular.
    Or the Die Another Day teaser trailer when the Aston was shot out of the ice gun.
    PussyNoMore is hoping that there will either be a Bentley edition or that the American publisher will come up with something better ?
    It’s either that or the brown paper bag strategy.
    I think it's a classy cover. Certainly better than the Trigger Mortis UK hardback. Looking forward to it.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Having seen the full cover now I really like it. I think when we read the novel the cover will resonate even more.
    Having seen the full cover now I really like it. I think when we read the novel the cover will resonate even more.

It really should. Went to the bookstore last week, and stopped by the crime/mystery shelves. Looking at the covers, the majority had: man holding a gun, woman holding a gun, a person running from something (all in silhouettes mostly), half open door in a dark, mysterious setting, houses/buildings in a night setting, dripping blood, or something similar to all the examples mentioned.

Compared to all those, the cover for Forever and a Day looks really, really good. We could have got something much worse.

Compared to all those, the cover for Forever and a Day looks really, really good. We could have got something much worse.

These things are highly subjective but PussyNoMore has difficulty imagining how it could have been worse !

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Oh, I dunno, there's always likely to be something worse.

3441641._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg
    0-263-81037-2.jpg1583145648.jpg
    forever-and-a-day-draft.jpg
    ForeverAndADay.jpg
    17376898.jpg59519665-256-k982535.jpg
    51k5DPOozLL.SX316.SY316.jpg1429986.jpg
    91QUf0PWGuL.__BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg51UgvKfxkML._SX297_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51q4lFXmB8L.SX316.SY316.jpg527583b41022878eb656f8137ac5eeed--book-jacket.jpg
    16060944.jpg1531602.jpg
    Image.ashx?imageID=Dbb1merrbUO1YmtVx0Yp1A&Type=Searchforever-and-a-day-wolf-creek-pack-11-siren-publishing-everlasting-classic-manlove-.jpgforever-and-a-day.jpgforever-and-a-day.jpg
    forever-and-a-day.jpg
    070d20493aab8ef160eb8a0163a5466a.jpg6316606.jpg
    small%20image%204%20publicity%20forever%20&%20a%20day.jpg1531602.jpg
    9781472222848.jpg?v=8

Could it be more thrilling? That's also usually true.

39763796304ebfe03f6819ee72d198aa.jpg
    468028._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    dynamite-entertainment-army-of-darkness-xena-warrior-princess-forever-and-a-day-issue-2.jpg
    dynamite-entertainment-army-of-darkness-xena-warrior-princess-forever-and-a-day-issue-1b.jpg

Donald E. Westlake had a similar title idea. Maybe that would have inspired more.

westlake-forever-and-a-death-hard-case-crime-640x989.jpeg
    RichardTheBruce, PussyNoMore thinks Cape will have a job for you!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not sure if you got me wrong--evoking Richard Chopping would likely be golden for me.

Some kind soul will eventually provide that treatment for the latest Bond book. Inevitable.

694b7facd610e71e68185450d02c35c5--honeypot-colonel.jpg
    9fb0a6246c41f0a021270b60ea36c11e-1.jpgab1082031bfbe943c7dcb86eb209e74c.jpg
    443e45cda41c43379bab60997ff13449--honeypot-james-bond.jpg
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,895
    I knew the title had been used before, but not THAT many times! Couldn't anyone involved have come up with something a little less shopworn?
    There are even multiple songs titled "Forever and a Day". Here's one by Jackie Wilson:

And the funny thing is that a few years before he recorded an entirely different song also titled "Forever and Day"! Guess those generic titles go a long way.

Under the reign of the Master, James Bond books were renown for their unique titles. But after Gardner, some literary Blofeld decided all future Bond books must have bland, forgettable, stupid titles. Will this blight ever cease?
    Revelator wrote: »

Under the reign of the Master, James Bond books were renown for their unique titles. But after Gardner, some literary Blofeld decided all future Bond books must have bland, forgettable, stupid titles. Will this blight ever cease?

PussyNoMore fears not. We are in the hands of the Philistines. But you are so correct, Fleming’s titles were peerless.
    That said, Deighton and O’Donnell came perilously close in the genius title game.
    Back then, people gave serious thought to these things. Now we live in the land of the bland.

These things are highly subjective but PussyNoMore has difficulty imagining how it could have been worse !

Well, I have seen many worse Bond covers, that's for sure. Usually foreign editions of the books, but still.

One thing: When they released the teaser cover, I actually wondered whether we would get a typographic cover. The almost rippled effect they used, could have presented the opportunity to have the title set in a style similar to what we see in the title sequence of Thunderball:
    t-ty-01.jpg

Just a thought.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Shakespeare used it in two of his plays. I'm
    Guessing this is the context in which it will be quoted, either by Bond or another character.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is almost a parody of a Brosnan Era title.

Yes. the cover is fine. The title is not.
    One of the things that PussyNoMore is really looking forward to with F&AD is seeing how Horowitz evokes the sense of time and place.
    We know from ‘House of Silk’, ‘Moriarty’ and above all with ‘Foyle’s War’ that he can be brilliant at this. Yet, it wasn’t the strongest aspect of ‘Trigger Mortis’. Indeed, there were even a couple of faux pas.
    Perhaps there was just too much going on for him in TM. His first Bond book, the pressure of having to shoe horn in Fleming’s ‘original material’ etc..etc...
    This time around, he’s hopefully settled into the writer’s chair and the creative freedom afforded him by writing a prequel will allow him to really immerse us in the early ‘50s.
    PussyNoMore can’t wait for him to get that Amherst Villiers supercharger fired up and set us roaring down the road to Marseille. He can virtually taste the salt in the air as Bond pushes the Bentley hard along the coast road to Juan-les-Pins.
    Hopefully he’ll have that long barrelled Colt .45 tucked away in it’s hidden under dashboard holster because, as we all now know, that Beretta .25 proved to be pretty useless albeit the chamois leather holster was a nice fashion accessory!
    If we are lucky, the Bentley’s passenger seat will be occupied by his femme fatale and we’ll all be transported back to that glamorous pre # world.
    “Two cocktails. Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lille’s. Shake it very well until it’s ice cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel and serve them in a deep champagne goblets. Oh, and maitr d’ can you see if our sea view double is ready ? We’ll only be needing the one”.