Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE

Now, I've been looking forward to this one for a while.
    I don't even know how to describe it. Its a film about a depressed lunatic that copes with the several traumas of his life by murdering child molesters. First, the good; The performances all around are fantastic, the score is incredible and makes half the film for me and the atmosphere that this film creates in its first 20 minutes are great. The bad; this film is aimless, its schizophrenic in a way and maybe the director was going for that to tie in with some of the subject matter explored but it just comes across as messy film making, not art. Also all the "kills" suck because the camera cuts away and its very disappointing. There was a lot to like in the film up to a point and I will revisit it and see if the themes sink in a bit more but as of now, its a 90 minute "short film" where things happen too quickly and don't really make sense. It feels like they had 48 hours to write and direct a film and the makers just went, lets make a film where nothing happens but we explore the concept of trauma.... it does not work out in my opinion.

6/10?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Last night's Blu-ray double feature:

ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE (1973) - Robert Blake stars as an Arizona motorcycle cop in what was unfortunately the only movie directed by "Chicago" music producer James William Guercio. Brilliant cinematography by legendary DOP Conrad Hall.

BLOOD SIMPLE (1984) - The Coen Brothers' first commercial movie and still one of their best. Truly a neo-noir classic by now.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Isle of Dogs (2018)

Fantastic film. I loved every aspect of it - the stop motion animation, the story, the soundtrack by Alexandre Desplat, the voice acting (Bill Murray, Bryan Cranston, Jeff Goldblum, Edward Norton, Ken Watanabe, Bob Balaban, F. Murray Abraham, Scarlett Johansson, Harvey Keitel, Frances McDormand and many others). The 100 minutes runtime went by at warp-speed as I was fully engrossed by the film's world and the wide variety emotions it transfuses to the audience. This film will most definitely be in my top 10 for 2018.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @JamesBondKenya, not too sure how I'd rate it but that somewhat falls in line with my thinking. Felt like people were promoting it as something it wasn't, so my expectations and the finished product didn't line up at all, sadly.
    No Country For Old Men, The Big Lebowski, and Fargo are my favorite Coen Bros. films that I’ve seen so far.
    image?locale=en-us&mode=scale&purposes=BoxArt&w=180&h=270&q=60

I scored the Paranormal Activity 6 pack on DVD the other day. I watched one each night this past week.
    Say what you will about these movies, but let me tell you: this was the first time watching them in my new house all alone, instead of an apartment, and I was genuinely creeped out!
    It was a loooong walk from my movie loft to my downstairs bedroom, looking over my shoulder, lol

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    image?locale=en-us&mode=scale&purposes=BoxArt&w=180&h=270&q=60

I scored the Paranormal Activity 6 pack on DVD the other day. I watched one each night this past week.
    Say what you will about these movies, but let me tell you: this was the first time watching them in my new house all alone, instead of an apartment, and I was genuinely creeped out!
    It was a loooong walk from my movie loft to my downstairs bedroom, looking over my shoulder, lol

They wait until you are asleep. Don t feel safe just yet.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Scariest films I've ever s-- I mean most boring films I've ever seen.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The first two are superb.
    The third is good.
    The rest are pretty poor.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,813
    The ending of the 3rd one (when he opened the shed and all those old women were there when the light came on) had me like:

at.gif
    giphy.gif

Part of the fun of scary movies is wondering how you'd react in that situation. That part though- I would have died of fright!
    YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE

Now, I've been looking forward to this one for a while.
    I don't even know how to describe it. Its a film about a depressed lunatic that copes with the several traumas of his life by murdering child molesters. First, the good; The performances all around are fantastic, the score is incredible and makes half the film for me and the atmosphere that this film creates in its first 20 minutes are great. The bad; this film is aimless, its schizophrenic in a way and maybe the director was going for that to tie in with some of the subject matter explored but it just comes across as messy film making, not art. Also all the "kills" suck because the camera cuts away and its very disappointing. There was a lot to like in the film up to a point and I will revisit it and see if the themes sink in a bit more but as of now, its a 90 minute "short film" where things happen too quickly and don't really make sense. It feels like they had 48 hours to write and direct a film and the makers just went, lets make a film where nothing happens but we explore the concept of trauma.... it does not work out in my opinion.

6/10?

I agree. Boring film.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,730
    @001
    And
    @Creasy47

I did like parts of the film, most notably the atmosphere and world the film brought the viewer into, however I found the conclusion and certain directorial choices so agregiously aggravating that this film really pisses me off. I’m sure there’s a good character story somewhere in this film but the final product I don’t feel is.

It was supposed to be some commentary on PTSD or depression but is it..? Does it explore it properly. Or is it a mess of a story?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I finally got a chance not see LADY BIRD (2017); what a wonderful film. I am going to have to restructure my 2017 Top Ten list (looks like goodbye to GET OUT).

Awesome @Birdleson! We agree on that for sure!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I finally got a chance not see LADY BIRD (2017); what a wonderful film. I am going to have to restructure my 2017 Top Ten list (looks like goodbye to GET OUT).

Awesome @Birdleson! We agree on that for sure!
    +2. Also thought it was great. Going in I thought I'd like it (Saorise is always worth checking out), but the way I wound up loving it still surprised me.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight no movie - wifey's birthday. Last night:

TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING (1977). Story: "An imprisoned rogue USAF general with a secret personal agenda, escapes the brig and takes over an ICBM silo, threatening to start WW3." (IMDb, check further details out there yourselves if you feel like it.)

I found the movie interesting, but a bit of a mixed bag, in spite of Robert Aldrich directing and a whole bunch of not just then-current stars, but great actors galore even in smaller roles (Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Paul Winfield, Joseph Cotten, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Durning, Leif Erickson - remember THE HIGH CHAPARRAL? - and a ton more, among them Bond regular Shane Rimmer), a Goldsmith score and Rolf Zehetbauer as production designer (he of the more recent DAS BOOT and the earlier CABARET).

Still, it has a bit of a TV movie feeling considering that stunt casting overkill, and it doesn't help for me that it was filmed in Bavaria (doubtless for taxation and subsidy reasons). While the set is great and the vehicles are American, the forest smells to me like "deutscher Wald" and not like Oregon. Not my favourite Aldrich (that would be WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? or maybe THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, depending on my mood, and not my favourite 1970s conspiracy movie (the jury's out on which it is).
    Crash (1996). One of the most unusual, disturbing, nightmarish films I've seen. One-of-a-kind movie from Cronenberg.

I grew up in Sacramento, so Lady Bird had special resonance with me. There's something very moving about seeing locations one has known so well in everyday life being immortalized on the big screen. Many Californians in the Bay Area or the LA-San Diego area seem to regard Sacramento as boring, but it's got a cool little downtown and its own sort of beauty, thanks to the river and all the trees. Unlike Lady Bird, I did go to UC Davis, and it was nowhere as dull as she thought!

• edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Get out should literally Get Out...I cant see the admiration this film gets,i didn't enjoy it at all.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Watched Murder on the Orient Express on a flight from Istanbul to Hamburg yesterday. Damn what an entertaining and engaging movie from start to finish. Watched it mostly for the Bond connection (Orient Express) and ended up enjoying it much more than i though i would.

I would defnitly be interested to see a Kenneth Branagh directed Bond movie after this.
    Only complaint i would have was the overuse of CGI, especially with the landscapes, but it was probably the easiest and most cost effective way to recreate the Jerusalem and Istanbul of the 50's.
    Blood Work
    Forrest Gump
    The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
    This :

_315x420_506ace7528613595c78b717b2fc66de99a7b9e53e65352e97614a6a4c8cf9cd1.jpg

And this :

FreeWorld_2D_H_grande.jpg?v=1478637545

And this :

4lpTMzfvdasm9xx_bqRnpAlspDPVsxWhiaAuvmI4F6Bh-PZK04ngpbnd_syzot-oYktz=w400-h600
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Carry On Cruising (1962)
    Carry On Cabby (1963)
    Carry On Jack (1963)

1. Carry On Regardless (1961)
    ***2. Carry On Cruising (1962)***
    3. Carry On Teacher (1960)
    4. Carry On Sergeant (1958)
    ***5. Carry On Cabby (1963)***
    6. Carry On Nurse (1959)
    7. Carry On Constable (1960)
    ***8. Carry On Jack (1963)***
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    00Agent wrote: »
    Watched Murder on the Orient Express on a flight from Istanbul to Hamburg yesterday. Damn what an entertaining and engaging movie from start to finish. Watched it mostly for the Bond connection (Orient Express) and ended up enjoying it much more than i though i would.

I would defnitly be interested to see a Kenneth Branagh directed Bond movie after this.
    Only complaint i would have was the overuse of CGI, especially with the landscapes, but it was probably the easiest and most cost effective way to recreate the Jerusalem and Istanbul of the 50's.
    If you haven't seen the original I can't recommend it enough. One of my faves from the 70's. Very atmospheric and chilling film. The actors are true legends and there is more than just the Orient Express as a Bond connection in that one.
    The Shadow

God I enjoy this movie. I know many hate this movie but this Batman esque film hits a sweet spot for me Alec is good Peter Boyle is fantastic I don't get the hatred maybe I am just to easy please. Good humor and action why do people hate it? I mean some the effects are dodgy but its 1992 I believe.

Films I have seen in 2018
    1. The A-team
    2. The Final Girls
    3. The Saint
    4. Taken 2
    5. The Shadow
    6. Taken
    7. Stand By Me
    8. Before Sunrise
    9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    10. Goonies
    11. Before Midnight
    12. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Taken Series

1. Taken 2
    2. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. The A-team
    2. Taken 2
    3. Taken

bondjames wrote: »

If you haven't seen the original I can't recommend it enough. One of my faves from the 70's. Very atmospheric and chilling film. The actors are true legends and there is more than just the Orient Express as a Bond connection in that one.

Agree 200% ....it’s atmospheric and beautifully made,it used to be on every Christmas period here and I was mesmerised by it as a kid .
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Thanks guys, i'll give it a try.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @Risico007- I unapologetically love The Shadow. It's one of those film where I don't have to be in any specific mood, I can watch it any time.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    @Risico007- I unapologetically love The Shadow. It's one of those film where I don't have to be in any specific mood, I can watch it any time.

I havent seen it for a long long time,but i seem to recall i liked it..will catch it when its next on SKY.

Aaah i remember now..\alec Baldwin...
    barryt007 wrote: »

I havent seen it for a long long time,but i seem to recall i liked it..will catch it when its next on SKY.

Helmed by Russell (Highlander) Mulcahy, it's an enjoyable romp and not forgetting the gorgeous Penelope Ann Miller!
    Baldwin is great but Peter Boyle is still a great movie stealer!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Helmed by Russell (Highlander) Mulcahy, it's an enjoyable romp and not forgetting the gorgeous Penelope Ann Miller!
    Baldwin is great but Peter Boyle is still a great movie stealer!

I got it confused with Billy Zane's Phantom.