"Go ahead....make my day"...Dirty Harry ,Clint Eastwood discussion.

edited July 2019 in General Movies & TV Posts: 19,339
Seeing the response on the 'last movie you bought ' thread,its time for Mr Callahan & Clint to have their own thread.
Along with his other characters of course.

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You felt lucky, didn’t you?
    You felt lucky, didn’t you?

I did punk......
    Watching these films, I learned to never, ever ask Callahan for a car.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Imagine a scene like this in a film these days?

That's right. You can't.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Highly recommend getting these films on Bluray, started revisiting the films they look fantastic
    Highly recommend getting these films on Bluray, started revisiting the films they look fantastic

If i ever get blue-ray then the Clint films are bought right after Bond..

I love the conversation between Harry and John Saxon's mayor in Dirty Harry about the naked man but i cant post it on this bloody laptop !!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    barryt007 wrote: »

I love the conversation between Harry and John Saxon's mayor in Dirty Harry about the naked man but i cant post it on this bloody laptop !!

The upscale from dvd to Bluray is impressive was not expecting the films to look this good.

The upscale from dvd to Bluray is impressive was not expecting the films to look this good.

I always felt blue-ray was crap but lately everyone loves it....might have to upgrade,but i have a hell of a collection to upgrade when Sky are offering digital downloads from £3.99 +

That's right. You can't.

If only someone dares to showcase something like this, again.

I always felt blue-ray was crap but lately everyone loves it....might have to upgrade,but i have a hell of a collection to upgrade when Sky are offering digital downloads from £3.99 +

That's the problem I started a few years back upgrading dvd to Bluray, now I am upgrading Bluray to 4K. Thankfully not many 4K films at present, I have four Bluray players which is unnecessary lol

That's the problem I started a few years back upgrading dvd to Bluray, now I am upgrading Bluray to 4K. Thankfully not many 4K films at present, I have four Bluray players which is unnecessary lol

I think i will keep it digital haha ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Never cared much for Dirty Harry, but love the dollars trilogy, and he had several other good roles and movies as well. My own favourite of his is UNFORGIVEN, where he plays William Munney, one of the most badass characters of all time. It was still a kind of untraditional role for him, and a smarter kind of western.
    To think, The Unforgiven had been sitting on the shelf since 1976 with Francis Ford Coppola holding the option during the Eighties (He couldn't find any backers so eventually sold it to Eastwood).

Love Dirty Harry, but only the first 3 movies.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

That's right. You can't.

Tremendous scene. Sadly more applicable now than ever, it seems. I side with Harry on this. Best man (or woman) for the job.
    I have the set and recently purchased a 4K tv with accompanying 4k player. Looking forward to revisiting all of these shortly.
    bondjames wrote: »

That's right. You can't.

Tremendous scene. Sadly more applicable now than ever, it seems. I side with Harry on this. Best man (or woman) for the job.
    +1. Aptly put, sir.
    Went to see 'For A Few Dollar's More' at the IFI
    last Sunday. Great print and great audience reaction. Hoping to go to 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly tomorow! Love these films
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Went to see 'For A Few Dollar's More' at the IFI
    last Sunday. Great print and great audience reaction. Hoping to go to 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly tomorow! Love these films
    Two of the greatest films ever made, let alone among the westerns. Hope you enjoy the forthcoming experience, mate.
    The Good The Bad and The Ugly is simply the coolest movie ever made.

That's right. You can't.

I have the set and recently purchased a 4K tv with accompanying 4k player. Looking forward to revisiting all of these shortly.

Welcome to the 4K club a great excuse to watch all your movies again and see what the upscale is like, Dirty Harry looked great, I have stalled a bit working my way through the box set been very busy. I have two weeks off now so I'll watch Magnum Force soon.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That's right. You can't.

+1. Aptly put, sir.

I agree. Harry, despite his painted appearance as a "dinosaur" was ahead of the curve on that one. Shouldn't be about men or women, it should be about the job.
    Eastwood really hits the spot.
    I received a DVD collection of the 5 Dirty Harry films for my birthday a couple years ago. I may eventually upgrade those to Blu-ray, but I kind of don't want them looking too good. I tend to associate the Harry films with '70's grain, and subdued colors. Probably from watching them on the TBS station back in the '90's.
    I love all five films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Eastwood really hits the spot.
    I received a DVD collection of the 5 Dirty Harry films for my birthday a couple years ago. I may eventually upgrade those to Blu-ray, but I kind of don't want them looking too good. I tend to associate the Harry films with '70's grain, and subdued colors. Probably from watching them on the TBS station back in the '90's.
    I love all five films.

There is still a good level of grain on Dirty Harry BD, I forgot what an incredibly well directed film it was.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Spending the day at the gun club trap shoot. Sounds like it's time to watch Magnum Force for the hundredth time.
    Remington wrote: »
    Spending the day at the gun club trap shoot. Sounds like it's time to watch Magnum Force for the hundredth time.
    That's the way to go! :D

That's right. You can't.

Welcome to the 4K club a great excuse to watch all your movies again and see what the upscale is like, Dirty Harry looked great, I have stalled a bit working my way through the box set been very busy. I have two weeks off now so I'll watch Magnum Force soon.
    I'm really looking forward to revisiting this series. It's a shame that there's not a lot of 4K content out there, and what there is remains bloody expensive. Magnum Force is my favourite of the bunch.

I watched DN the other night (the first blu ray I viewed) and it was quite stunning upscaled.
    Dr. No really looks fantastic on Blu-ray. The colors outside so intense if it really makes you feel you are there. Right back in the 60s. Actually I find it quite fascinating that those old 60ies movies look so much better on Blu-ray then the 90’s ones. CR and QoS are a completely different matter though.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Dr. No really looks fantastic on Blu-ray. The colors outside so intense if it really makes you feel you are there. Right back in the 60s. Actually I find it quite fascinating that those old 60ies movies look so much better on Blu-ray then the 90’s ones. CR and QoS are a completely different matter though.
    You're right on that for sure. The 60's films really pop. I think it's due to the exotic location settings they were filmed in, the wide angle cinematography (which I've always loved about classic Bond) and also the colour (was it technicolour?. Not sure).
    I've been lucky enough to see some 35 mm prints of the Connery Bonds on the big screen and the DR NO Blu-ray does capture the right look and feel for the most part. Beautiful transfer.
    I may be due to pop in some Dirty harry films again soon. Around this time of year I get on an Eastwood kick and watch some of his classics.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I had forgotten how good he was as Harry. That clip above was a worthy and timely reminder.

That's right. You can't.

I'm really looking forward to revisiting this series. It's a shame that there's not a lot of 4K content out there, and what there is remains bloody expensive. Magnum Force is my favourite of the bunch.

I watched DN the other night (the first blu ray I viewed) and it was quite stunning upscaled.

Wait till you see FRWL upscaled the colour and detail is very impressive, I saw a recent list of upcoming 4K titles the format is starting to gain traction and hopefully drop in price with more people buying 4K TV's. I think the World Cup (Football) will see a increase in sales of 4K tech. Currently Netflix has a decent amount of 4K content to stream.