Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bridesmaids I was channel hopping at work noticed Kristen Wiig was in this, as she has been cast as Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2 I was curious to see her in a more serious role. The film itself is boring, Rose Byrne is also in this film which has made the film a little more bearable.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,682
    Finding Forrester. Very good and touching film. Sean Connery is fantastic in the title role, as is newcomer Rob Brown, a most natural and engaging actor. They are well supported by F. Murray Abraham and Anna Paquin.

A few thoughts:
    - I do wish there had been just a bit more insight into Forrester's past and his reasons for his become a recluse.

- I appreciate how the film uses the subject of basketball to provide insight into the characters. Jamal uses it to fit in among his peers, but his mind is in fact focused on writing. On the other hand, because of Jamal's background, both the school directive and professor Crawford assume in a prejudicious way that he is is only interested in basketball.

- Jamal does show quite a bit of character through the entire film. He keeps his promise of not mentioning Forrester in the face of expulsion, he openly challenges professor Crawford in the classroom for making a fool out of a fellow student, and he probably misses those basketball shots because he isn't willing to stay in the school for the wrong reasons.

- A sad implication of the story, albeit one that, in my opinion, is only briefly explored in the film in an explicit way, is that Forrester's seclusion has not only prevented him from living his life to the fullest, but has also prevented his writings from being read by the world. We should all aspire to make the most out of our talents, and explore and appreciate the fruit of those of others. A wasted life is a tragic thing. This idea is reinforced through the ending of the film.

- Even though the filmic medium and the need to keep the story going impose obvious restrictions, this movie manages to successfully convey plenty of the magic and the fascination of the written word as a means of discovery, expression and reflection about the human condition, also exemplifying how it can be a thing of beauty to bask in.

- Seeing a spirited Forrester --once again in touch with the world, with himself and as he says, finally having been provided with the "gift of friendship"-- riding off in his bike, only to find out in the next scene that he has passed away makes for an unexpected (by me, at least) and touching ending. But seeing that he has finally written another novel, and conceded Jamal the honor of writing its foreword, gives the resolution of the story that touch of bittersweetness, that mixture of happiness and sadness that, if it's not presumptuous of me to say, seems to sum up in a nutshell the experience of living for us all.

- I really miss seeing Sean Connery on the screen. An obvious thing to say probably, but he is a very good actor whose wonderful presence fills the screen.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Ready Player One was fricking awesome and one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have nothing more I can say.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Ready Player One was fricking awesome and one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have nothing more I can say.
    Once you find you can say something more again, @BMW_with_missiles, can you tell me if I'd enjoy that film although I literally never ever played a computer game (beyond Tetris and FreeCell)? I mean, I never saw a Spielberg film I didn't like - but would I understand this one? It just seems like an alien universe to me.

Wow. Hype.
    Victor Frankenstein
    Rat Pack
    The Cell
    Anaconda
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Really loved THE CELL when it came out, but it has dated badly. A remake is coming. Cautiously optimistic.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,449
    PACIFIC RIM

and

PACIFIC RIM UPRISING

I'm still not sure why they didn't just flat-out adapt the Japanese anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION but I guess meccha fans will enjoy PACIFIC RIM. I can have fun with these films despite their noise and lack of great story. ;)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    PACIFIC RIM

and

PACIFIC RIM UPRISING

I'm still not sure why they didn't just flat-out adapt the Japanese anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION but I guess meccha fans will enjoy PACIFIC RIM. I can enjoy these films for all its noise and lack of great story. These are not that kind of movies anyway. ;)

I loved the first, but haven t bothered seeing the second.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's not bad. But you must meet it on its own terms. It's loud, jolting and messy overall.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    MARVEL CINEMATIC RETROSPECTIVE

Ant-Man_poster.jpg

A fun little movie. I remember having a good time with it when I saw it back in 2015. The cast all around was likable, and good in the roles they've been given. The action was very solid, really like the shrinking/unshrinking fights and the one with Falcon was definitely awesome and lots of fun. Darren Cross was menacing and I thought the Yellowjacket suit looked cool. Only two things bothered me. One, adding HYDRA in this film seemed a little forced. I know it was only for a small part, but I would have bought Cross selling his tech to some shady part of the government or foreign nationals. Second, how did Cross know what Pym's plan was or that Lange was working with him? I feel that it wasn't explained and it sort of came out of the blue. Overall, It was solid movie all around. It was hard to decided whether I liked this movie better than The First Avenger, but I guess it can be tie. Hopefully by the time I get to the last movie, I can look back at those ties and see if I can spread them a bit more or not...

Rankings:
    1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2. Avengers
    3. Iron Man
    4. Guardians of the Galaxy
    5. Captain America: The First Avenger, Ant-Man
    6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    7. The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Iron Man 3
    10. Black Panther
    11. Iron Man 2
    12. Thor: The Dark World
    Ant-Man is one of my favourite Marvel movies.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    PACIFIC RIM

and

PACIFIC RIM UPRISING

I'm still not sure why they didn't just flat-out adapt the Japanese anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION but I guess meccha fans will enjoy PACIFIC RIM. I can have fun with these films despite their noise and lack of great story. ;)

No desire to see the second film. But I will probably rent it knowing me...
    I really liked the first one, BTW.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Where Eagles Dare (1968)
    fabk2tW.jpg

I'm generally not a big fan of war films, but this Alistair Maclean penned and Brian Hutton directed entry caught my interest from the very first time I saw it as a kid. That's probably because it has elements of espionage. It also features great action and stunts, beautiful scenery, and some serious machismo from the likes of two legends: Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. There's also some decent (and quite effective) eye candy in the form of Mary Ure and Ingrid Pitt, and I recognize a lot of the supporting cast from older films as well. The plot appears clear at the outset: 7 Allied Commandos must infiltrate Nazi hideout Schloss Adler (Castle of the Eagles) set deep in the alps (and only accessible by cable car) in order to rescue and escape with a captured American general who may be instrumental in ending the war. Strange occurrences, deaths & twists occur from the very start of their mission however, which suggests all is not as it seems and treachery may be in their midst.

The cast is top notch as can be expected. Burton in particular really is the boss in this one, barking orders at every one with inherent authority and confidence while being no slouch himself. Eastwood is his usual lethal 'man of action rather than words' self. Derren Nesbitt is particularly good as a suspicious Gestapo officer. I can see how this film inspired action in many future Bond entries as well as that famous pub scene in Tarantino's Basterds. Great OTT fun.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 3,000
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Once you find you can say something more again, @BMW_with_missiles, can you tell me if I'd enjoy that film although I literally never ever played a computer game (beyond Tetris and FreeCell)? I mean, I never saw a Spielberg film I didn't like - but would I understand this one? It just seems like an alien universe to me.

@j_w_pepper I would say any Spielberg fan would enjoy Ready Player One. You don’t have to get any of the game references to enjoy the film’s engaging story. Everything is laid out very well in an easily understandable fashion, so it won’t feel alien for long. Its references aren’t just limited to games either, but pop-culture in general (especially 80’s pop-culture), so everyone will find a nod here and there that they understand. One of the best things about the references made in the movie is that they don’t spend too much time on any one, and I’m sure hours could be spent searching the background of each scene to find hidden Easter eggs. I wouldn’t describe this as “the video game movie”; it’s a Spielberg movie that takes place in a game and the real world, and it’s absolutely amazing.
    The Saint

What do I say about this under looked gem of the 90's Honestly it's fantastic and far better then some make it out to be Kilmer is cool and interesting Elizabeth Shue is GORGEOUS and the film over all is a strong one with great performances memorable action and while it might not be as deep as other films I have seen its still a great movie.

Films I have seen in 2018
    1. The A-team
    2. The Final Girls
    3. The Saint
    4. Taken
    5. Stand By Me
    6. Before Sunrise
    7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    8. Goonies
    9. Before Midnight
    10. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Taken Series

1. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. The A-team
    2. Taken
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
    Uzcwpz0.jpg

This is easily my favourite non-Bond Craig film (and that includes Munich). I'm a huge fan of the thriller suspense genre, and this is as good as it gets imho. I enjoyed all the original Swedish films when they came out (The Girl In The Spider's Web is my favourite) and so awaited this English entry with great anticipation after it was announced. It certainly lived up to expectations & in some ways exceeded them. I applaud Sony for taking risks and giving us something dark and unfamily friendly. In particular the graphic rape scene is very disturbing to watch. However, I don't think I can forgive them for chickening out after the film understandably didn't live up to *perhaps inflated* box office expectations, and not following through to complete the trilogy. It's particularly offensive after Rooney Mara gave such an incredible performance as lead Lisbeth Salander. Anyway, despite this monumental disgraceful cock-up, I continue to enjoy this one off entry whenever I view it.

The film has a lush, expensive character, and it's clear that a lot of care went into making it. There's a cold aesthetic here, mirroring the narrative and Swedish locale. David Fincher's direction is excellent, the cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth is outstanding, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's ambient score is suspenseful and moody, and the cast fires on all cylinders. In particular the always outstanding Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard excel, with the latter being quite frightening at times. Dutch actor Yorick van Wageningen is also a standout as the odious & repugnant Nils Bjurman. I'd love to see him in a Bond film soon. Craig is a joy to watch as well. He still has his casual style and cool in this film. At times I think he's a bit miscast here but he makes the most of it. I wish he at least had made an effort at an accent like the rest of the cast though.

The film foreshadows #MeToo in a way. Lisbeth overcomes her oppressor in a quite convincing manner and her character is quite a strong and independent woman. Perhaps my only negative with the film is that the denouement is a bit rushed, but I'm being picky now. Overall this is superb film making as far as I'm concerned.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    bondjames wrote: »
    Where Eagles Dare (1968)
    fabk2tW.jpg

I'm generally not a big fan of war films, but this Alistair Maclean penned and Brian Hutton directed entry caught my interest from the very first time I saw it as a kid. That's probably because it has elements of espionage. It also features great action and stunts, beautiful scenery, and some serious machismo from the likes of two legends: Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. There's also some decent (and quite effective) eye candy in the form of Mary Ure and Ingrid Pitt, and I recognize a lot of the supporting cast from older films as well. The plot appears clear at the outset: 7 Allied Commandos must infiltrate Nazi hideout Schloss Adler (Castle of the Eagles) set deep in the alps (and only accessible by cable car) in order to rescue and escape with a captured American general who may be instrumental in ending the war. Strange occurrences, deaths & twists occur from the very start of their mission however, which suggests all is not as it seems and treachery may be in their midst.

The cast is top notch as can be expected. Burton in particular really is the boss in this one, barking orders at every one with inherent authority and confidence while being no slouch himself. Eastwood is his usual lethal 'man of action rather than words' self. Derren Nesbitt is particularly good as a suspicious Gestapo officer. I can see how this film inspired action in many future Bond entries as well as that famous pub scene in Tarantino's Basterds. Great OTT fun.

Definitely one of my favourite films. Might as well be my favourite war film together with Das Boot and A Bridge Too Far.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's the greatest spy film ever made. Period.

Haha! We have something else in common!
    Love 'Where Eagles Dare' . Watch it a couple of times a year!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Haha! Good to see where not as estranged Bond fans as we appear for the most part.

Huge Alistair MacLean fan myself. This film was what got me into his work, and I’ve been holding it as a template for my inspirations ever since. I watch it at least twice a year myself!

Haha! Good to see where not as estranged Bond fans as we appear for the most part.

Huge Alistair MacLean fan myself. This film was what got me into his work, and I’ve been holding it as a template for my inspirations ever since. I watch it at least twice a year myself!

Have plenty of Alistair MacLean books lying around, but have never read any of them…

Have plenty of Alistair MacLean books lying around, but have never read any of them…

His older books are great, the later not so much.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,241

His older books are great, the later not so much.

Most of them are of the «CAP-serien» books, so I guess they are the later ones.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Uzcwpz0.jpg

This is easily my favourite non-Bond Craig film (and that includes Munich). I'm a huge fan of the thriller suspense genre, and this is as good as it gets imho. I enjoyed all the original Swedish films when they came out (The Girl In The Spider's Web is my favourite) and so awaited this English entry with great anticipation after it was announced. It certainly lived up to expectations & in some ways exceeded them. I applaud Sony for taking risks and giving us something dark and unfamily friendly. In particular the graphic rape scene is very disturbing to watch. However, I don't think I can forgive them for chickening out after the film understandably didn't live up to *perhaps inflated* box office expectations, and not following through to complete the trilogy. It's particularly offensive after Rooney Mara gave such an incredible performance as lead Lisbeth Salander. Anyway, despite this monumental disgraceful cock-up, I continue to enjoy this one off entry whenever I view it.

The film has a lush, expensive character, and it's clear that a lot of care went into making it. There's a cold aesthetic here, mirroring the narrative and Swedish locale. David Fincher's direction is excellent, the cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth is outstanding, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's ambient score is suspenseful and moody, and the cast fires on all cylinders. In particular the always outstanding Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard excel, with the latter being quite frightening at times. Dutch actor Yorick van Wageningen is also a standout as the odious & repugnant Nils Bjurman. I'd love to see him in a Bond film soon. Craig is a joy to watch as well. He still has his casual style and cool in this film. At times I think he's a bit miscast here but he makes the most of it. I wish he at least had made an effort at an accent like the rest of the cast though.

The film foreshadows #MeToo in a way. Lisbeth overcomes her oppressor in a quite convincing manner and her character is quite a strong and independent woman. Perhaps my only negative with the film is that the denouement is a bit rushed, but I'm being picky now. Overall this is superb film making as far as I'm concerned.
    Absolutely love Fincher's TGWTDT. Underrated, if you ask me.
    Great to see the love for Where Eagles Dare and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo chaps. Both great films, and after my back to back viewing of both yesterday I felt like I'd spent a month in wintery and snowy lands!
    jake24 wrote: »
    Uzcwpz0.jpg

Absolutely love Fincher's TGWTDT. Underrated, if you ask me.

One of the few remakes as good as the original. I was dubious about Rooney Mara but she was terrific in it! And Craig was impressive too!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight: CHICAGO (2002). I've had the disk for some time but had never really an idea of what this movie was, except that it was a musical. And both my wife and I were truly blown away. What a perfect piece of musical moviemaking! It obviously shares a lot with CABARET (Kander, Ebb, Fosse...), but that's a good thing. We are really elated at this point that we decided to watch this wonderful film tonight.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,105
    The Mirror cracked 1980 major film stars in this Guy Hamilton directed film, this interpretation of Christie is way ahead of its time, though some old movie stars are lame, though I think thats intentional.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Mirror cracked1980 major film stars in this Guy Hamilton directed film, this interpretation of Christie is way ahead of its time, though some old movie stars are lame, though I think thats intentional.
    I had no idea Guy Hamilton was the director. I first saw this on a flight to Asia as a kid. Elizabeth Taylor's stare in a pivotal scene frightened me. A young Brozz has a small scene in it cuddling Liz's bosom. I'm due a rewatch.