The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Bond looks like hell. This is how I pictured him looking in the DAF novel after the Brooklyn Stomping.
    The winking fish.

Well- another great viewing of LTK, Pity I didn't have time yesterday for Dalton's 72nd birthday.

Still remains fairly high in my rankings. Mostly from nostalgia for that coming of age summer when I saw it first.

Beats TLD for me. LTK is a very different but very captivating Bond outing.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Adore both of them! Never fail to give me my Bond fix along with OHMSS!
    TLD is a Bond film I like a lot still but it never can reach those higher levels of Bond goodness for my tastes. It’s mostly that pesky third act that has rough pacing. LTK is more unique and keeps me interested 110%, whereas TLD can lose me when they get to Afghanistan.
    TLD is a Bond film I like a lot still but it never can reach those higher levels of Bond goodness for my tastes. It’s mostly that pesky third act that has rough pacing. LTK is more unique and keeps me interested 110%, whereas TLD can lose me when they get to Afghanistan.

I've said it before but I believe All Bond films have a slow section, TLD is no worse than some, and at least it does pick up for the final section!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm with you on both comments. TLD will never be a classic for me. It has classic moments, but I find it rather weak in many places. There's a reason it's the least successful debut of any Bond actor (and that includes OHMSS, starring a non-actor) despite being launched for the 25th anniversary.

LTK was better suited to the Dalton Bond imho.
    I immediately feel sad as DAF opens knowing something 100x greater was just one film ago :(

DAF is a film that has its moments but really just feels so awkward and far too camp for Connery. It can be fun for a while but becomes tedious by the time the second half is reached, if not earlier. Wint and Kidd are my favorite part, and the lift fight is great. Beyond that few serious highlights I’m afraid.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I immediately feel sad as DAF opens knowing something 100x greater was just one film ago :(

DAF is a film that has its moments but really just feels so awkward and far too camp for Connery. It can be fun for a while but becomes tedious by the time the second half is reached, if not earlier. Wint and Kidd are my favorite part, and the lift fight is great. Beyond that few serious highlights I’m afraid.
    I agree with you on the tonal variation after OHMSS being a bit jarring. However it was obviously deliberate, as they probably wanted to chart a new path and take a different approach for the 70s. I really enjoy DAF personally. It's a one off for Connery, and I like the fact that they decided to take it in that direction for his last. It showcases his versatility as Bond, which is an attribute I personally value highly in a Bond actor. When I'm in the mood for a light hearted Bond entry, this is one of the films I go to. One can't really take it too seriously. It's clear that it's played for laughs from the "Ca Ca Cairo!" in the PTS.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that the first fake Blofeld that Bond drowns in mud looks a lot like Christopher Lee when Bond cleans the mud off of his face with the water gun?

Nope-- i think that EVERY time I watch DAF
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here.
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Got my set calibrated on the MOVIE settings in hopes of giving this YOLT viewing a more warm looking cinema accurate experience.

GUNBARREL - this time in the key of F.

I love the bass melody.
    This outer space opening looks great IMO. Far superior to more video game looking CGI effects.

John Barry works his magic.
    Ed Bishop!!!!!!
    The front is opening up!
    I hope Bond 25 can be as good as YOLT or FYEO - the other fifth Bond films from the same actor. They’re both pretty good examples of what makes a good epic Bond film and stripped back Bond film respectively.
    My life line is...........................
    I hope Bond 25 can be as good as YOLT or FYEO - the other fifth Bond films from the same actor. They’re both pretty good examples of what makes a good epic Bond film and stripped back Bond film respectively.

Me too really. I love both 5th outings, different as they are. Connery's goes a bit more fantasy, while Roger's tones it down. I wonder what kind of style B25 will have?
    Why do Chinese girls different from all other girls?
    Here we go......... the whole reason I'm in the mood for this one............the titles and song.

Maurice Binder at his best, IMO.
    Great work by Freddie Young.
    The guy with the binoculars has a hairstyle that would fit right in today.
    Many of my friends and relatives rank YOLT among their top 5.
    Sean looks great in the uniform, as did Roger.
    Lois Maxwell looks quite lovely in this one.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Many of my friends and relatives rank YOLT among their top 5.

Dang! I like it but that’s a little too high I think haha. Still it is very good.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 15,851
    Bernard Lee looks damn good here as well. Somehow only 2 years later he would look much older.
    I................LOVE..............YOU
    The final 2 episodes, actually in color of SECRET AGENT a.k.a. DANGER MAN remind me of YOLT.
    Must have been a blast to see this one in it's initial 1967 summer release. My Dad always loved this one.