The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Connery only got one, so perhaps then Craig will as well with Bond 25? Retconning Silva as a SPECTRE agent was so dumb anyway. That’s the one that bugs me more than the others, which make more sense as SPECTRE agents IMO.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,271
    Wouldn’t Blofeld have probably still become a crime boss without Bond? He thanks Bond for helping him realize he had to kill his father, but couldn’t that have happened any other way? I’m not defending SP’s questionable story decisions, but I wouldn’t say Blofeld/Bond’s childhood problems are meant to be the reason why SPECTRE exists. Blofeld also mentions “a nice pattern developed” with Bond messing with SPECTRE, so I don’t really think Blofeld planned on really seeing Bond again after childhood.
    Just started AVTAK. One of the most underrated Bond adventures of course.
    This title song is so darn good. Even the PTS has grown on me a little bit (just hate the Beach Boys song in it).
    I think I actually prefer AVTAK’s second half. First is good, but second has a lot of scenes I particularly like.
    "Max! Maaaaaax!"
    Pretty good watch of AVTAK.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    FoxRox wrote: »
    "Max! Maaaaaax!"
    Nenenenenenene

explosion-250x250.jpg
    MR is by far his “coastiest” performance. AVTAK, while not his best, still has a lot of great Bond moments from him, and does the best at showing his serious side along with FYEO IMO.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Yes MR is kind of like Craig's SP performance in that way
    I think Sir Roger is actually very good in AVTAK.
    He does a LOT of spying in it and he plays it very straight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think his performance in MR is top notch actually. I've noted this before and I'll say it again, but it is perfect for the tone of the film they were making (which was quite different to TSWLM). Moore's genius is that his tone always fit the film, as did Connery's. That's why they are far and away my favourite Bond actors and I sincerely hope for someone in the future with this versatility, which is a huge attribute to being a decent long serving Bond actor.

I am not too keen on his performance in AVTAK though. Most of that is down to his age (he's just not credible to me in the role) but it's also because I think he overplays a bit. That smirk in the getaway vehicle in the PTS for instance, or his greasebag St. John Smythe character (which I can't stand) take away from the performance for me.

In terms of MR, I liken it to last year's Thor Ragnarok. Hemsworth and Hiddleston had been quite dramatic in prior installments, but Waititi went for a very different tone in this third outing and it's a credit to both of those actors (and to a lesser degree Hopkins) that they seamlessly switched it up to accommodate the lighter film he made. Kudos to them and kudos to both Sir Rog and Sir Sean for that skill.
    Hiddleston I think could match the performance to the lightness/darkness of a Bond film.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Hiddleston I think could match the performance to the lightness/darkness of a Bond film.
    Oh, with considerable ease. The problem with him in the role is it would be too easy. I mean, where's the challenge for him? He used to be my top pick to take over but as I've seen other performances from him over the years I'd honestly rather he not take the Bond role.

He is just too good of an actor and way too versatile to get pigeonholed in his prime. His Marvel contract will soon by up and if I was him I'd take on more critical roles and try to bag that Oscar, like his contemporary Etonian and Cambridge mate Eddie Redmayne has done. He has it in him.
    Thoughts of OHSS , while watching. Lazenby can beat up a man and he's good in the fight scenes. But man do I miss Connery's interpretation of 007. Few things that drag this otherwise good Bond adventure is the campiness during most of the Piz Gloria scenes, the length of the movie and because about an hour of Lazemby's scenes have been overdubbed by that other fella, who plays the real Sir Hillary.

My aim is to watch this, YOLT and DAF today. I've got about 45 minutes left of this film.

Had to decide which order I'd watch these. I chose the order of release. But I kind of hope I would have gone down the yolt-daf route and watched this one another day as a stand alone film.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Wouldn’t Blofeld have probably still become a crime boss without Bond? He thanks Bond for helping him realize he had to kill his father, but couldn’t that have happened any other way? I’m not defending SP’s questionable story decisions, but I wouldn’t say Blofeld/Bond’s childhood problems are meant to be the reason why SPECTRE exists. Blofeld also mentions “a nice pattern developed” with Bond messing with SPECTRE, so I don’t really think Blofeld planned on really seeing Bond again after childhood.

Mendes is quite arty and theatrical and he said that SF was about mothers while SP was about brothers. So I think he pictured it as some big shakespearean (says the man who remembers next to nothing from English in high school and didn't study it past then so might be talking out my arse there) tragedy where fate led two brothers went down very different paths before meeting again. But it was just too contrived imo, too big a coincidence. I find it downplayed enough to get past though and SP ticked so many of my fanboy boxes that I still really enjoy it.
    Luckily it is pretty downplayed honestly. It doesn’t add value, but it still could have been far worse than just contrived. SP certainly has its moments, but on the whole is very “eh” I think.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Thoughts of OHSS , while watching. Lazenby can beat up a man and he's good in the fight scenes. But man do I miss Connery's interpretation of 007.
    I've always felt that it's a better film than it is a performance from Lazzer. He's ok and doesn't screw up, but I've never thought he was great.
    Few things that drag this otherwise good Bond adventure is the campiness during most of the Piz Gloria scenes, the length of the movie and because about an hour of Lazemby's scenes have been overdubbed by that other fella, who plays the real Sir Hillary.
    Piz Gloria does go on a bit imho.
    Had to decide which order I'd watch these. I chose the order of release. But I kind of hope I would have gone down the yolt-daf route and watched this one another day as a stand alone film.
    I don't think OHMSS fits in well with YOLT/DAF. I agree that those two work better together, and OHMSS is better as a standalone.
    Mendes is quite arty and theatrical and he said that SF was about mothers while SP was about brothers.
    They've got two left to deal with then before Craig signs off. Maybe Boyle's 'golden idea' combines sisters and fathers in one. Too good to pass up on.
    So I think he pictured it as some big shakespearean (says the man who remembers next to nothing from English in high school and didn't study it past then so might be talking out my arse there) tragedy where fate led two brothers went down very different paths before meeting again.
    That is kind of how it played out in way. Pretty pathetic, but I could have lived with it if it was better realized on screen. The whole thing just fell flat without consequence. Craig played it as though it meant nothing so there was a mismatch between the premise and the reaction.
    Just started DN. One of my favorites still. I love it so much. I find it offers the best, raw, simplistic Bond experience.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Just started DN. One of my favorites still. I love it so much. I find it offers the best, raw, simplistic Bond experience.

I love it as well. Makes me feel like I'm in Jamaica.
    I only have 5 Bond films above it right now. That’s pretty darn good for being just the first one.
    It does and that is one of its most appealing attributes imho. A few years back it wasn't in my top 10 but now it's just outside the top five and may enter it soon.
    It’s almost perfect really. Underrated among non-die hard Bond fans.
    DN has improved on each viewing for me. Bond as a character at his best, and has never been bettered. Not even in FRWL or any film after. This is what people mean when they mention panther like movements, and Young's direction. It really shows.

The main "criticism" I hear is that "oh all the films after that have more action and more everything". No. Young's films have this subtle attention to detail and character touches that no other Bond films (aside from Campbell) possess. It's not an accident that Young and Campbell are highly regarded
    Action isn’t everything. I have always preferred DN over FRWL too.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 2,252
    I currently have FRWL over DN, because of the locations, atmosphere, characters (great cast of villains), and action too
    Most will put FRWL above. They’re both great but I’m partial to the original. I personally prefer the story and characters, even though FRWL’s are also great. Can’t go wrong with any of the original run though (DN through OHMSS) IMO.
    A great viewing of DN as always. I've never been disappointed with this one, and it's as good as ever.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Random thought while watching CR, is the PTS the only time we see Craig on a mission where he isn't up against Spectre? Because obviously with the retcon they're behind everything and the rest of his pre titles are all linked to the main story of the film. So we actually never see him as a 00 on a non Spectre mission.

I've brought that up before. So, aside form initial two kills, this guy exists solely to stop problems stemming from a jealousy stemming from his childhood. Absolutely foolish.
    Good heavens I hadn't considered it that way. It's always managing worse somehow.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Moore is great in TSWLM; in fact his is excellent in all of his outings as Bond, but for MR and AVTAK. Though he has a few solid moments in each of those two, overall he seems to be coasting.
    w2bond wrote: »
    Yes MR is kind of like Craig's SP performance in that way
    MR is by far his “coastiest” performance. AVTAK, while not his best, still has a lot of great Bond moments from him, and does the best at showing his serious side along with FYEO IMO.
    I'm going to side with @bondjames when it comes to Rog's MR performance. I think it's great, and I can't say I see him coasting at all. The aftermath of the centrifuge in particular is some of his best Bond work.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think his performance in MR is top notch actually. I've noted this before and I'll say it again, but it is perfect for the tone of the film they were making (which was quite different to TSWLM).
    I think this is right. On the surface the two films seem similar, mostly for their fantastical plots. But they are different. TSWLM operates at a higher pitch throughout, and Rog plays to this. I'd actually say that TSWLM asks more of the audience than MR when it comes to buying into its central conceits—an underwater city and a tanker that swallows submarines over space shuttles and space stations. "Bond in space" sounds more overtly ridiculous, and I think it's for this very reason that Eon very deliberately tried to offer more ground for the entire premise to hold onto. Remove the easy silliness from the picture and, until the shuttles launch, you have a Bond film that features a solid bit of spying and detective work. An additional part of that grounding is Rog's performance.

I see definite shades of early Roger in MR. It won't beat TMWTGG for faithfulness to the Fleming character, but there is some of that going on, and I'd actually like to watch LALD and MR back to back soon with an eye towards Roger's performances and see how his work in MR fares.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Moore's genius is that his tone always fit the film, as did Connery's. That's why they are far and away my favourite Bond actors and I sincerely hope for someone in the future with this versatility, which is a huge attribute to being a decent long serving Bond actor.
    Yes. There are maybe many reasons why those two are tops, but when you boil it all away things might very well just come down to their versatility. It frees the production side of things so much and naturally fends off staleness.
    I am not too keen on his performance in AVTAK though. Most of that is down to his age (he's just not credible to me in the role) but it's also because I think he overplays a bit. That smirk in the getaway vehicle in the PTS for instance, or his greasebag St. John Smythe character (which I can't stand) take away from the performance for me.
    I still find Rog solid. I can't honestly say I've ever found Rog to come across as not credible or, especially, to be coasting. I think the St. John Smythe character is evidence enough against the latter. As to the former, I think he's good as ever in the more dramatic moments and his age factors only into the aesthetics of the action, never into its credibility. Though I might feel as though I'm watching Old Bond, I never feel like Old Bond couldn't be doing the things he's doing, in the way he's depicted doing them.
    Action isn’t everything. I have always preferred DN over FRWL too.
    Same. And I also agree about the action. One of the things I liked about SF actually was that it scaled the action back a bit in comparison to Brosnan and early Craig.