The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Strog wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think his performance in MR is top notch actually. I've noted this before and I'll say it again, but it is perfect for the tone of the film they were making (which was quite different to TSWLM).
    I think this is right. On the surface the two films seem similar, mostly for their fantastical plots. But they are different. TSWLM operates at a higher pitch throughout, and Rog plays to this. I'd actually say that TSWLM asks more of the audience than MR when it comes to buying into its central conceits—an underwater city and a tanker that swallows submarines over space shuttles and space stations. "Bond in space" sounds more overtly ridiculous, and I think it's for this very reason that Eon very deliberately tried to offer more ground for the entire premise to hold onto. Remove the easy silliness from the picture and, until the shuttles launch, you have a Bond film that features a solid bit of spying and detective work. An additional part of that grounding is Rog's performance.

I see definite shades of early Roger in MR. It won't beat TMWTGG for faithfulness to the Fleming character, but there is some of that going on, and I'd actually like to watch LALD and MR back to back soon with an eye towards Roger's performances and see how his work in MR fares.
    Well said on the differences between TSWLM & MR. This is how I see it as well.

It's also a good point you make about there being signs of early Rog in MR, particularly in the more serious moments. At times there's a certain dismissive, curt and almost arrogant quality. I like it.
    Strog wrote: »
    I am not too keen on his performance in AVTAK though. Most of that is down to his age (he's just not credible to me in the role) but it's also because I think he overplays a bit. That smirk in the getaway vehicle in the PTS for instance, or his greasebag St. John Smythe character (which I can't stand) take away from the performance for me.
    I still find Rog solid. I can't honestly say I've ever found Rog to come across as not credible or, especially, to be coasting. I think the St. John Smythe character is evidence enough against the latter. As to the former, I think he's good as ever in the more dramatic moments and his age factors only into the aesthetics of the action, never into its credibility. Though I might feel as though I'm watching Old Bond, I never feel like Old Bond couldn't be doing the things he's doing, in the way he's depicted doing them.
    You're right. I don't think he coasts at all in AVTAK, and I should have been more clear. Overall it's actually at times a more serious performance than the one he gave in OP.

I have just always felt that the St. John Smythe disguise is a sort of caricature of how many see Rog in that film, and perhaps unnecessarily emphasizes his age (particularly when his alter ego is coming onto Stacey in an overt, anti-#MeToo manner). Many a time I've had to remind myself that he is in disguise from the point he arrives at Zorin's estate to the point he sees Tibbet dead. The change in his demeanour is quite noticeable. "Killing Tibbet was a mistake". Perhaps if they had gone for a less obnoxious, pompous disguise (like Robert Sterling in TSWLM for instance) then I may have preferred it.

I think OP worked better because the lead actress and villain were closer to Moore's age (the great Louis Jourdan was actually quite a bit older than Moore). In AVTAK Walken is quite a bit younger looking (despite the film maker's attempts to make him look more mature) and that makes Moore's age more noticeable to me in comparison. The same of course goes for Tanya Roberts.
    THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Making it's way back into my top 5. This one NEVER lets me down.

Bond in Navy attire. Sir Roger looks great here.

Q dialogue is great.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 15,818
    As popular it is to ascertain that Admiral Hargreaves was promoted to M after his outstanding work here on TSWLM assignment, I tend to believe he is simply playing M.
    Had Moore's 007 received his Operation Trove mission from a new head of MI6, I firmly believe it would have been mentioned in the dialogue in OP at some point.
    Sandor and Jaws.

I love this whole section with Stromberg.
    Edward de Souka- great in KISS OF THE VAMPIRE. I may pop in a Hammer horror after this.
    When one is in Egypt, one should delve deeply into it's treasures.

I love Roger's silhouette. If I were Bond, that's the silhouette I'd want.
    Roger is the king a suave.

I've had lunch...........but I seemed to have missed dessert.
    What a helpful chap.
    Anya remains one of my all time favorite Bond girls.
    Don't move! The microfilm.....GIVE it to me.
    Bond tosses away the tool box. He could have used it later.
    Try the big one.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Agreed!
    The bit where the speedboat is torpedoed out of Liparus I would think be quite frightening. Anya, however, keeps her cool.
    Bond 77 is one of my fave cues in Bond history.
    The Supertanker is my favorite Ken Adam set. Many iconic sets to choose from as well.
    Leave it to me, Sir.........................the great Kim Fortune.
    Bond dangling inches from the explosive. Great scene!
    Roger has some great facial expressions.
    Roger and Shane Rimmer have amazing chemistry here. I wonder if Shane might have made a good Felix Leiter?

Bond pulls out the manual to re-program the missiles. The audience laughed at this part.

Ah, my 4000th post!!! Yay!
    Somehow I knew it would be in this thread.
    The end of Stromberg.
    Some ruthlessness for Roger here. I can remember taping TSWLM off the ABC network in the summer of 1986. Surprisingly, very little was edited that airing, but this bit was trimmed. The only other shot I remember missing was Anya in the shower.
    Jaws Vs shark. Once again another great Ken Adam set.
    I often wonder what Ken Adam might have done with future Bond films. What would a Ken Adam designed OP, AVTAK or TLD have looked like?
    I may be the only one, but I love the Broadway musical style rendition of "Nobody Does It Better". Very funny.
    Great viewing of TSWLM on Blu-ray tonight! Hands down my favorite Roger film and probably overall my second favorite in the series.
    This one never lets me down.
    Roger and Shane Rimmer have amazing chemistry here. I wonder if Shane might have made a good Felix Leiter?
    Shane was great in TSWLM, agreed.
    I may be the only one, but I love the Broadway musical style rendition of "Nobody Does It Better". Very funny.
    I like the way it starts off, but honestly the part I really like is when it segues into Carly's rendition (just after the band sings "Baby you're the best!!"). I always look forward to that bit.
    Bond 77 is one of my faces cues in Bond history.
    I've always been a big fan of this disco version of the Bond theme. Very cool and 70's, and very 'Roger'.
    Anya remains one of my all time favorite Bond girls.
    The first Bond equal and one of my faves too.
    The Supertanker is my favorite Ken Adam set. Many iconic sets to choose from as well.
    I prefer the space set in MR, but this one is certainly up there with the best of them.
    Don't move! The microfilm.....GIVE it to me.
    Bach really delivers that line like she 'wants' it. LOL.
    I never thought about that before but you're right.
    When one is in Egypt, one should delve deeply into it's treasures.

I've had lunch...........but I seemed to have missed dessert.
    Superb lines, delivered to perfection.
    That scene reminds me somewhat of the intro scene for Tania in FRWL, when she is making her way to the meeting with Klebb in Istanbul. Both scenes feature really suspenseful musical cues (Hamlisch's score interspersed with the Muslim prayer in TSWLM is sublime, and so is Barry's work in FRWL).
    Great viewing of TSWLM on Blu-ray tonight! Hands down my favorite Roger film and probably overall my second favorite in the series.
    This one never lets me down.
    It was my favourite when I was a kid. It's dropped a little but has always been a top five entry of mine. A truly iconic film (and not just Bond film).
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

They could have fixed the cylinder head gasket!
    w2bond wrote: »

True. I wouldn't have wanted to miss that iconic scene of the two of them walking in the desert to Maurice Jarre's great Lawrence of Arabia theme though. I love that bit and so am glad the van was ditched.
    w2bond wrote: »

I can picture Anya reaming Bond out for tossing the tool box away as they took that long walk in the desert. Took them until sunset to get to the Nile.

I imagine a cylinder head gasket repair to be a bigger job than what was probably in that tool box. Might have been amusing to see Anya give Bond a hard time over that, though.

Q should have equipped Bond with some quick auto repair gadget in his cigarette case to go with the mini micro film viewer.
    I think Egypt was a particularly good setting for Bond...with its inherent mystery, about the past, and its connection with death (and hope for immortality). One of my top half Bond films too, probably top third. I wonder if we'll ever see Bond back in Egypt again, or if that's it.
    The Egypt scenes in TSWLM are among my favorite sequences of the whole franchise. Perhaps my favorite sequence in one of my favorite Bond films. Great stuff.