No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I don't disagree @patb. I don't think they were planning to create a Logan clone necessarily, but perhaps got some inspiration from that film, particularly with respect to a far older character in a different place from where he was in the prior film.

I can only imagine that Hodge suggests a new approach is in the works.

That suits me fine because I honestly didn't care for 'old man' Logan. Enough with the old man s#!^. Let's get back to a virile and capable Bond.

Have you seen Daniel Craig recently?

495D47BE00000578-5412361-image-m-58_1519123175237.jpg

He's 50 and looks it. If they attempt to depict him as "virile", I think I may throw up. They tried to do the same thing in AVTAK by making the older Moore sleep with 20 somethings and wear a Fila tracksuit. It was embarrassing.

I don't think they have an option not to do "Old Man Bond" or "No Country For Old Bond".

Or change the actor and start afresh.

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Along my friends and family, there are some 'casual' Bond fans, meaning: they will go to the cinema once a new movie is released and sometimes agree to watch a Bond film with me.

Corresponding points they made about SP;
    - The movie went on too long.
    - They had expected more from Waltz / Blofeld.

To a lesser extend but mentioned;
    - Weak plot
    - Empty streets during the car chase in Rome
    - Failing to really showcase the biggest explosion in movie history

None of them ever brought up the Brofeld-nightmare though.

I also noticed a divide between some missing the more realistic / serious approach from CR and QOS, and others being happy with the return of bit more humour.

(Sorry for going a bit off topic.)
    Just proves you cant please all of the people all of the time.
    Everyone is different.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just proves you cant please all of the people all of the time.
    Everyone is different.

Quite true.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    You keep maligning Craig and that’s unjust. He’s simply trying to not make Brosnan level crap. EON are doing their usual fumbling about. That leaves the director to make something good. Mendes was a mistake. But once Craig is gone if you think something magical will happen and EON is going to pull it together and deliver what, another FRWL? That’s false hope. Better to hope for B25 because B26 will be the same boat but with just a different actor. Oh and possibly and likely weaker actor who they will also manage to underwhelm with.

Almost certainly a weaker actor, craig is a once in a generation great.

Sure. That's why everybody praises his versatility. Hence his nickname "the man with only one facial expression".
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ll say it again, don’t put too much stock in the pictures from the awards show; when time comes to film , Craig will be in top form. Now, if you’ve never liked his appearance that won’t mean much to you.
    There are several reasons that he didn’t look his best : they will be addressed. The next time he makes an appearance he will look noticeably better.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    I think they are underestimating the prevailing mood for change and reinvention. It's definitely out there.

Amongst fans.

No, not entirely. Remember SP was 4 years ago, and made significantly less than SF. To say the audience doesn't care either way is disingenuous.

There’s nothing to suggest there is a groundswell of support for Craig’s departure amongst the public, if there were you’d have heard about it in the press. Some people don’t like him, others do, some are ambivalent.
    Nobody said there's a groundswell of support for anyone's departure.

There is a prevailing need and mood for reinvention. He is a fundamental component of that, because more than any other Bond actor before him his entire narrative is connected.

The two go hand in hand. Moreover, as we theorized a few pages back, old man Bond is played out.

With respect to Craig, all his off the air shenanigans have polluted his image amongst a large component of the public. Many know of wrist slash, his negative comments about Bond, the character's misogyny and his desire for more money. Whether true or not, those articles had two years of play. People internalized it. He knows that. Which is why he's been trying to address it recently. A case of too little, too late.

Bond films always make money so that's not the concern, but the enthusiasm is not there. A director can't change that, unless it's Nolan.

Like I say, I don’t see the ‘prevailing mood’ amongst anyone other than a subsection of Bond fans. Perhaps it’s the case where you are, but that is not the sense I am getting in the UK.

Either way, it’s not of pressing interest to me. I’m just excited to see what happens next, whenever and with whomever is involved.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,162
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    You keep maligning Craig and that’s unjust. He’s simply trying to not make Brosnan level crap. EON are doing their usual fumbling about. That leaves the director to make something good. Mendes was a mistake.
    I get the impression Craig cares a lot for "his" James Bond interpretation.

I see. That's why he interpreted him as a joyless sociopath in SF. I wonder what he would do with a character he likes.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087
    I think they are underestimating the prevailing mood for change and reinvention. It's definitely out there.

Amongst fans.

No, not entirely. Remember SP was 4 years ago, and made significantly less than SF. To say the audience doesn't care either way is disingenuous.

There’s nothing to suggest there is a groundswell of support for Craig’s departure amongst the public, if there were you’d have heard about it in the press. Some people don’t like him, others do, some are ambivalent.

There is a prevailing need and mood for reinvention. He is a fundamental component of that, because more than any other Bond actor before him his entire narrative is connected.

The two go hand in hand. Moreover, as we theorized a few pages back, old man Bond is played out.

With respect to Craig, all his off the air shenanigans have polluted his image amongst a large component of the public. Many know of wrist slash, his negative comments about Bond, the character's misogyny and his desire for more money. Whether true or not, those articles had two years of play. People internalized it. He knows that. Which is why he's been trying to address it recently. A case of too little, too late.

Bond films always make money so that's not the concern, but the enthusiasm is not there. A director can't change that, unless it's Nolan.

Like I say, I don’t see the ‘prevailing mood’ amongst anyone other than a subsection of Bond fans. Perhaps it’s the case where you are, but that is not the sense I am getting in the UK.

Either way, it’s not of pressing interest to me. I’m just excited to see what happens next, whenever and with whomever is involved.

You think there's as much excitement and anticipation around the next film as there was for the previous four? I don't see it myself.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,031

Amongst fans.

You think there's as much excitement and anticipation around the next film as there was for the previous four? I don't see it myself.

Every time a friend of mine asks when the next Bond film is out they do express a disappointment that they'll have to wait until Oct/Nov 2019 to see it. And they are 'normal' casual movie watchers not Bond fans. The disappointment is often followed by a comment on how much they've liked the Craig films.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512
    You keep maligning Craig and that’s unjust. He’s simply trying to not make Brosnan level crap. EON are doing their usual fumbling about. That leaves the director to make something good. Mendes was a mistake.

I see. That's why he interpreted him as a joyless sociopath in SF. I wonder what he would do with the character he likes.

Are you ever not annoyed? We all see our arse now and again, but you must know every contour of your anus in fine detail.

Amongst fans.

That depends on what they put together (cast, crew, locations etc) and how they promote it. The feeling wasn’t dissimilar pre-SF, after the lacklustre QoS. I’m not saying there is anticipation, as there’s nothing to anticipate, but neither do I see a majority of people actively wanting change.

Amongst fans.

No, among average movie goers. They were bored as hell with Spectre.
  • RC7RC7

Amongst fans.

Ok. Thanks.

Amongst fans.

Spectre did very good box office just about everywhere except the US where it did ok. How do we know that they were bored or hated it? Only a very small percentage will comment online.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,162

I see. That's why he interpreted him as a joyless sociopath in SF. I wonder what he would do with the character he likes.

Are you ever not annoyed? We all see our arse now and again, but you must know every contour of your anus in fine detail.

Amongst fans.

That depends on what they put together (cast, crew, locations etc) and how they promote it. The feeling wasn’t dissimilar pre-SF, after the lacklustre QoS. I’m not saying there is anticipation, as there’s nothing to anticipate, but neither do I see a majority of people actively wanting change.

Do you think resorting to vulgarity instead of arguments gives you any bonus points?
    Of course you would need to have some arguments. In your case I don't even see the possibility.
  • RC7RC7
    vzok wrote: »

Amongst fans.

Spectre did very good box office just about everywhere except the US where it did ok. How do we know that they were bored or hated it? Only a very small percentage will comment online.

Don’t bother, mate. It’s like conversing with Krang.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Amongst fans.

The tenure felt like is still had steam left in the pre-SF days, and you don't need people actively demanding change for there to be a deep hunger for it. If people are protesting Craig's continued involvement, then things have already gone on for too long. You're supposed to preempt a backlash while it is still gestating, not close the gate after the horse has bolted. And four years is a long time in movie terms.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dennison wrote: »
    LFS wrote: »
    I am not a fan of the path the producers are on, it´s not the path that led to a franchise surviving for over 50 years.

Except the last two Bond films are two of the most commercially successful (in terms of gross) ever. With Skyfall being THE most successful Bond film ever.

So a lot of people watched them. A lot of people watch the Kardashians, doesn't make them quality tv though.
    But maybe as long as a lot of people watch them then EON will think they are succeeding, SP included.

From a financial perspective then yes. They are fundamentally in business to make money.

But when the films are creative disappointments, it'll add up and those once big numbers start to dwindle. Just look at WB and their DCEU. Justice League couldn't crack $700M world wide. No property is completely safe. Protect the brand and make good shit.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    LFS wrote: »
    I am not a fan of the path the producers are on, it´s not the path that led to a franchise surviving for over 50 years.

Except the last two Bond films are two of the most commercially successful (in terms of gross) ever. With Skyfall being THE most successful Bond film ever.

So a lot of people watched them. A lot of people watch the Kardashians, doesn't make them quality tv though.
    But maybe as long as a lot of people watch them then EON will think they are succeeding, SP included.

From a financial perspective then yes. They are fundamentally in business to make money.

But when the films are creative disappointments, it'll add up and those once big numbers start to dwindle. Just look at WB and their DCEU. Justice League couldn't crack $700M world wide. No property is completely safe. Protect the brand and make good shit.

Spectre was arguably only a 'creative' disappointment in the US.
  • RC7RC7

Amongst fans.

The tenure felt like is still had steam left in the pre-SF days, and you don't need people actively demanding change for there to be a deep hunger for it. If people are protesting Craig's continued involvement, then things have already gone on for too long. You're supposed to preempt a backlash while it is still gestating, not close the gate after the horse has bolted. And four years is a long time in movie terms.

Of course the potential for a backlash is there, just as there is if a re-casting backfires. I’ve always been open to either. Right now they’re going with Craig and as Bond is my hobby rather than some sado masochistic indulgence, I’m going to roll with it rather than endlessly beat myself up about it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883

Amongst fans.

It could very well be location dependent. The wrist slash, claims for more money and his other antics and commentary about the character have resonated. So have the calls for a replacement that continue to populate the media and internet.

Like I said, I'm sure the film will make money, but the enthusiasm is not there where I am. Fairweather fans ask me as a diehard who the next Bond is going to be even now, but only because they know I'm waiting for a new film. SP was unanimously seen as meh and a finale, since it coincided with wrist slash and his reported dejection with the character.
    Basically,anyone getting annoyed or 'extra' frustrated about things re Craig,B25 etc isn't going to make EON move any faster or make an announcement.

They don't really give a stuff about a bunch of Bond nerds,they have become a lot more money oriented at the risk of storylines and creativity than they used to be.

A sign of a company coming to the end with its product.
    Basically,anyone getting annoyed or 'extra' frustrated about things re Craig,B25 etc isn't going to make EON move any faster or make an announcement.

They don't really give a stuff about a bunch of Bond nerds,they have become a lot more money oriented at the risk of storylines and creativity than they used to be.

As someone who wants a change more than anyone, I still believe B25 will be a big success because it's Bond.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that they will have missed a great opportunity right now if they don't change it up, and the next films will pay for it. This is sort of what happened when Moore stayed on too long, which impacted Dalton (who in turn had to contend with Brozza in the wings). These people just don't seem to think strategically, as evidenced by the product variations.

It's not just the die hards. We just more vociferously vocalize a prevailing mood. That is normally how it goes.
    You're supposed to preempt a backlash while it is still gestating, not close the gate after the horse has bolted. And four years is a long time in movie terms.
    You've got it.

If they are making money more and more they may be tempted to carry on. It’ll help them finance these side projects that they seem to enjoy more
    Announcement will come in May. I believe Craig will do some promotion for Kings at the end of April so presumably this is when we hear more information, assuming we don't get the big news on the MGM conference call prior to that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m from Toronto, and, quite frankly, close friends and co-workers know my life-long affection for Bond; only rarely is the subject brought up and it’s usually to ask me: when’s the next film coming out. No one has ever mentioned slashing of wrists, or talk about more money.

Like @RC7 (who, it should be added, is bringing a welcome dose of reality to these discussions, and also is responsible for me spitting coffee out of my nostrils this morning with some terrific descriptions of seeing one’s own ass), I too have not seen or heard of this desire for change— other than on this forum.

And @talos you’re correct on appearances of the incumbent. You know your way around a gym and what transformations will happen, especially when working with the best trainers and nutritionists in the industry.
    I wouldn't worry about his appearance either. That's the least of his problems. They can do wonders with people these days, whether it be in the gym or under the knife or with digital touch up. I just hope they do a better job of it than they did in SP if they go the latter route.

I expect he's in the gym now prepping so he can do the rounds in a presentable fashion for the Kings rollout.
    I don't think so at all. Simply because I don't think there will be another Craig James Bond movie. I just can't see any new distributor/investor coming on board with the way he looks these days.
    Even if he now goes for eight months into the heaviest of workouts and trainings there's still no way to guarantee that he will really look good after that. I for myself, can't believe it from the way he looks on recent pictures. I'm not even talking about his body, but his face has had it.
    @NoSolaceleft, they can fix that. Given his age (and perhaps continued smoking), he looks better at certain times than at other times. It's just the way it goes. They will just have to be more careful with him, that's all. As someone said many pages back, don't film him in the cold (when wrinkles are more apparent), and use certain lighting etc. etc.

I agree that it means going out of one's way, but this seems to be the path they have chosen for better or worse, so let's hope for the best and not an AVTAK embarrassment.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 616
    Although I was impressed with Craig throwing himself into the train fight scene in SPECTRE, in just about every other action scene post-QOS I've been annoyed with the filmmakers' tendency to use a stuntman and then digitally replace his face with Craig's. It's not always the fact that they've used a stuntman that annoys me -- it's rather the incredibly shoddy digital effects that make it look like Craig's head is wobbling around on someone else's body. Nowhere is this more evident than in the opening motorcycle chase from SKYFALL, which (to me) is embarrassingly bad.