No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

It would be refreshing to see a long-running Bond actor go out on a particularly high note; DAF, AVTAK, and DAD are all not top-tier Bond material.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It would be refreshing to see a long-running Bond actor go out on a particularly high note; DAF, AVTAK, and DAD are all not top-tier Bond material.

Good point.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Right, now this, this I can get behind. Danny Boyle? The writer of Trainspotting? Bond film? I'd be so excited. He's one of my favourite directors ever. One of the few who I make a point to watch all his films. I think that apart from Campbell returning for CR, this would be the only time in history where the director announcement would have me genuinely really excited. Like when Mendes was announced for example, I looked him up and thought oh I've seen Jarhead, this is promising. But I've never had one of my favourite directors sign on for a Bond film before.

I know he's said big budgets worry him. My solution (as a pleb who really knows nothing about how the business works and how these decisions are made)? Smaller budget. Obviously you need enough for decent action scenes and nice locations but I've never felt like Bond needs a big superhero budget. They'd be able to take more risks and a smaller movie might feel refreshing after how big Spectre was. Plus something smaller and intimate seems like the right choice to finish off the very character driven Craig era.

I'm praying that something actually comes for this. Danny Boyle seeing Craig off followed by a Nolan led reboot (a man can dream) sounds pretty perfect to be honest. I've talked a lot on here about how my enthusiasm has been tested a bit, with Purvis and Wade and Craig returning. But this would get me hyped.

Assuming this is true, I hope something comes of this and we don't just get more of the same, with the Boyle/Hodge pitch becoming a footnote that future members on here will wonder about. Please, please, please, please make this happen EON/MGM/whoever.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Realistically, when would all major decisions need to be made in order for this movie to make the anticipated Nov. 2019 release date?

I think I’m just getting anxious & I need to keep in mind it’s only February. But let’s talk about this. For anyone that understands these productions better than me, what’s an estimated time-table in order for the movie to begin filming?
    The things that define Bond is its function As a travelogue. Which means filming at real places and real locations. Bond has had huge budgets before superhero films were a thing.
  • The things that define Bond is its function As a travelogue. Which means filming at real places and real locations. Bond has had huge budgets before superhero films were a thing.

Yes but budget is less important than the script. They doubled tswlm's budget for mr and made the worst film up until that point.
    It can have a cracking script. But if it takes place in some slum in Detroit, I don't think people will tune into the theatres.
  • Both are important...
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    I'd almost be happy to hear anyone get the job at this point. Everyone rumored so far sounds to me better suited to start off the next era, but that might just be because the last two were Mendes/Craig, and I'm not sure where they go after him for a one-and-done. (Not saying they can't figure something good out, just a tough spot I think.)

Boyle would be interesting. Hyper-kinetic maybe but perhaps he'd be reigned in by the history of the franchise. I can see him working especially well if the film were a more stripped-back story. Something with a lot of Fleming in it. I would trust him with the film. I think he's got the right attitude in general.

There was some talk of Branagh a few pages back. I know some expressed reservations about his ORIENT EXPRESS. Has anyone seen his JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT? I thought that was a pretty decent thriller.
    I was thinking: the next Bond film should have another 00. It's been two decades since Sean Bean. Would be proper brilliant.
    They need to be 100% on script & director by June at the latest.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I was thinking: the next Bond film should have another 00. It's been two decades since Sean Bean. Would be proper brilliant.

I wouldn't mind another 00, just as long as they don't go all Mendes with it and make him/her Bond's long lost flatmate's cousin's ex dog walker.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,730

I wouldn't mind another 00, just as long as they don't go all Mendes with it and make him/her Bond's long lost flatmate's cousin's ex dog walker.
    "You are... Trevelyan's son?!"
    "I joined MI6 just to exact my revenge on you."

James Bond 007 in "The Sick Bucket"
    "This summer... you'll want it passed to you."
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    They need to be 100% on script & director by June at the latest.

Why are you brits going on vacation or something?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd be happy with Boyle. I hope that, if he is the guy, he is not held to any prior plot lines, or hard continuity.

One could imagine he would be, looking at how SP ended up. Really hope they just go for a straight forward standalone mission this time around.
    Feels like some time ago that Guy Ritchie was tipped to direct!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dennison wrote: »
    The moment that was dropped online, I smelled a rat. ;)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    The moment that was dropped online, I smelled a rat. ;)

What exactly do rats smell like? Oh, a tart's handkerchief?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Hmm, like Danny Boyle, but Bond?…I don't know. Not overly excited about this 'news'.
    Hmm, like Danny Boyle, but Bond?…I don't know. Not overly excited about this 'news'.

I'm also having trouble imagining them together.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Is it possible? I can't avoid it it seems. All I hear about these days.
    The interesting thing is that, just look at the attention the rumour has got, It does show how much free publicity the marketeers can get from a big name Director rather than someone else. It makes you wonder whether Bond will always have to have top name directers from now on? It really limits their choices.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    It's not so much name directors, but more the field they are comfortable in. So arty directors like Lee Tamahori (and I'll include DB in this), don't seem to pull it off. Just my opinion, really don't see Boyle being comfortable with Bond. I could be wrong…only time will tell.
    The whole thing could be a set up just to keep Bond in the news pending any genuine progress.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,293

A Guy Ritchie film would at least be fun and entertaining!
  • Really hoping for Boyle now. I can see him working brilliantly with Craig and seems fitting as he did the Bond meets The Queen Olympics sketch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    The whole thing could be a set up just to keep Bond in the news pending any genuine progress.
    It does smell uncomfortably like the Nolan parallel script rumour of a few months back. Coincidentally, it sort of takes the media discussion off Craig's face for the time being too, which is probably not a bad thing.
    The interesting thing is that, just look at the attention the rumour has got, It does show how much free publicity the marketeers can get from a big name Director rather than someone else. It makes you wonder whether Bond will always have to have top name directers from now on? It really limits their choices.
    I think they could get a lot of publicity by bringing out one or two cracking films proving that the franchise is not dependent on big names.

• ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK

LOL'd my pants off :)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think they could get a lot of publicity by bringing out one or two cracking films proving that the franchise is not dependent on big names.
    They could if they had the confidence and the right team. After all, they were chasing 'big name actors' to a degree during the last half of the Brosnan run. Then they did a 180 for CR and look how that turned out. The same thing could work with an unknown director, if they've got everything lined up and a decent concept.

Ultimately it is the iconic 'James Bond brand' (and the expectations around that) which really sells it.