Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Films - like music, art, books etc, is very subjective. One man's meat is another man's vegan burger! If you like it, fine…if you don't, it doesn't matter, as long as you enjoy it who cares?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Hellboy (2004). Liked it a lot! I will have to check out the sequel soon! Ron Perlman is awesome.

One of my favourite films in the genre great fun, was gutted Del Torro's was unable to complete the trilogy.

That news seemed to upset many people. I can already see why, seeing as I am a fan of Del Toro and Perlman. Excited to see the second one, which most have said is even better.

It has a fantastic addition to the cast.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Art is not a genre mate, nor is it restricted to one.

All films are art.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Saving Private Ryan, absolute favorite WWII and war movie in general.

It’s a good one. Definitely among the best war movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Same and same, with the latter category housing Full Metal Jacket in a close second.

Great film.
    The Lost City Of Z (2016)
    Pretty good, though somewhat forgettable.

Hell Or High Water (2016)
    Unfortunately this never came to theatres here. Finally got around to seeing it and liked it a lot.

Loving (2016)
    This never came to theatres here, either. So, again, finally... etc. Well acted, Ruth Negga, especially. Good, but somehow didn't fully manage to engage me.

Clouds Of Sils Maria (2014)
    Pretty good, but not quite my cup of tea.

The Florida Project (2017)
    I liked Sean Baker's previous film, Tangerine a lot, so considered that enough of a recommendation to see this one, and it is quite wonderful. The non-actors do a great job at acting, and Willem Defoe is great (as usual).

The Rover (2014)
    A somewhat depressing, yet good, dystopian drama. Watched for director David Michôd. And acting-wise for Guy Pearce, but was pretty impressed by Robert Pattinson.

Free Fire (2016)
    I expected this to be more fun than it was, but still okay.

A Monster Calls (2016)
    A fascinating idea, not perfectly executed, something seemed to be lacking a bit, though I couldn't put my finger on what exactly. Still quite good, and the kid was excellent.

Molly's Game (2017)
    This has basically two main stars. One is Jessica Chastain who is good in the lead role, and the second is Sorkin's typically wordy script, which I tend to find exhausting, and did here as well.

The Shape Of Water (2017)
    Well, it looks very nice. Good acting, too, especially Sally Hawkins, plus a good cast in general. I quite liked the fantasy side, that story worked pretty well, but the conventional gun/sadism stuff didn't fit into that too well. On the whole, I liked this, but not as much as I hoped I might.

The Darjeeling Limited (2007)
    I decided to watch this, finally, just because it's a Wes Anderson movie - not that I'm a huge fan or anything, but I was curious because of him... despite the non-interesting main cast. It was... ok.

The Great Wall (2016)
    I don't think I've heard a single good word on this one, but it is a Zhang Yimou film, so I had to watch anyway, I've liked everything else I've seen from him. But... yeah. What the hell even happened with this movie? So, so bad, gawd.

Billy: The Early Years (2008)
    About the beginning and early years of evangelist Billy Graham's career... which already sounds like enough to get me rolling my eyes. So, I was surprised to find the movie not be some headache-inducing Bibble bashing at all, to offer other takes on stuff, and to be at times really - gasp - funny. Still not great, but certainly better and more entertaining than I expected.

Lady Bird (2017)
    What this has in common with its fellow Best Pic/Best Director/Best Actress/Best Original Screenplay nominee The Shape Of Water is a great cast, and some good story stuff. I liked this one as well, but also didn't like this as much as I wished I did. I wanted to love both of these movies. Still good though.
    I expect Shape of Water to get the usual post-Best Picture nomination backlash. A great achievement from Del Toro.
  • I watched ‘Raw’ in Netflix after hearing awesome reviews like ‘it made audiences literally pass out; paramedics were on hand’.

It was just okay.... :/

Birdleson wrote: »
    I expect Shape of Water to get the usual post-Best Picture nomination backlash. A great achievement from Del Toro.

I'm seeing it tonight.

Good luck @Birdleson. Hope you don’t hate it like La La Land.

Has it? I'm not aware of a backlash. It's been a month since the nominations... The difference to something like La La Land is that it's not a front runner. (Most nominations, yes, but...) Nor is anything else, really. If anything, then theoretically 3 Billboards, but it's supposedly not something that should do well with preferential ballot. - I haven't seen it yet, it's opening here this weekend, as is Phantom Thread... soon I will have seen the Best Pic nominee lot.

And most acting nominees, though unlike Best Pic (which seems tricky and messy to predict), I guess those are locked already, which is kinda boring, and since I won't be thrilled with the winners, I'd love to see surprises, but not expecting any. What happened with the Acting categories has apparently never happened before. That the same people won all televised precursors - Golden Globes (drama), BFCA, SAG, BAFTA - McDormand, Oldman, Janney, Rockwell. And that the major critics groups had very different ideas: Hawkins/Ronan, Chalamet, Metcalf, Dafoe.
    Here's where my 2017 (I have done an annual list for well over 20 years) Top Ten stands right now:

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    2. THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Baker)
    3. THE SHAPE OF WATER (del Toro)
    4. THOR: RAGNAROK (Waititi)
    5. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    6. GET OUT (Peele)

I still need to see THREE BILLBOARDS, LADYBIRD and several others. I watched CALL ME BY YOUR NAME yesterday. It was decent, but I don't feel that it rises to the level of Top Ten material; I may need to mull it over.

Hey, 3rd place is respectable! I'm glad to see that! I need to see Thor Ragnarok still. I think Lady Bird is a solid one, and Three Billboards is decent but the most overrated one of the year. Still have yet to see Call Me By Your Name as well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 10,588
    I found Get Out to be unbelievably overrated.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I found Get Out to be unbelievably overrated.

How I feel about The Avengers (2012).
    Here's where my 2017 (I have done an annual list for well over 20 years) Top Ten stands right now:

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    5. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    6. GET OUT (Peele)

I still need to see THREE BILLBOARDS, LADYBIRD and several others. I watched CALL ME BY YOUR NAME yesterday. It was decent, but I don't feel that it rises to the level of Top Ten material; I may need to mull it over.
    Encouraging to see that WONDER WHEEL is at #5. I haven't gotten to it yet. Assuming it is better than Allen's other recent efforts?
    My favorite Allen films are Annie Hall and Match Point.
    High Noon was just on TV. Man, what a great Western. Gary Cooper's excellent. The black and white contrast is perfect. Nice camera angles and crisp, rhythmic editing. And a portrayal of duty and courage in the face of long odds and hardly any support from people around one.

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    5. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    6. GET OUT (Peele)

No Baby Driver on your annual list. Great film.
    Top 10 is tough, but if I try:

1. The Shape of Water
    2. It
    3. Blade Runner 2049
    4. Dunkirk
    5. Phantom Thread
    6. Logan
    7. Coco
    8. Get Out
    9. The Florida Project
    10. Baby Driver

The Post, Lady Bird, and The Disaster Artist barely miss out.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    001 wrote: »

1. DUNKIRK (Nolan)
    5. WONDER WHEEL (Allen)
    6. GET OUT (Peele)

No Baby Driver on your annual list. Great film.

I had to quit that one after about 10 minutes. It was a chore to get that far; it seemed very silly to me.

You gave it 10 minutes? I quit at the title. (Bless Edgar Wright's heart, I do love Shaun of the Dead)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,575
    I had to quit that one after about 10 minutes. It was a chore to get that far; it seemed very silly to me.

You gave it 10 minutes? I quit at the title. (Bless Edgar Wright's heart, I do love Shaun of the Dead)

You quit at the title........ :)

You missed a Great film. His best film. A instant Classic, and you quit at the title...
    Coming from someone who liked Baby Driver a lot, the first few minutes were the weakest. I also thought I would be disappointed based on the start, but it just kept getting better and better after the credits.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I liked Baby Driver for what it was, but as I see this becoming a trend, or me just growing grumpy and less impressed with things around, these days, the film wasn't anything groundbreaking. I stand by what I say, I liked it, but the positive reviews are a bit too exaggerated. Surely others before have made great crime and heist films with cars?
    The Devil’s Backbone (2001). So far, it is excellent.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

All films are art.

I disagree.

Or can you explain to me what would make the Transformers films or all those hyped up Marvel films art?
    Not all art is “good” though, like paintings or books that could be seen as bad. It’s all subjective technically anyway.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,575

All films are art.

I disagree.

Or can you explain to me what would make the Transformers films or all those hyped up Marvel films art?

All Art isn't liked by All people.

The Academy Awards, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,284
    Devil’s Backbone was absolutely terrific. Cemented Del Toro as one of my favorite directors. Stands right next to Pan’s Labyrinth and The Shape of Water as amazing films.
    Devil’s Backbone was absolutely terrific. Cemented Del Toro as one of my favorite directors. Stands right next to Pan’s Labyrinth and The Shape of Water as amazing films.

Lucky you didn't quit at the title like some people do. :)