Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

001 wrote: »
    J.J. Abrams Claims Last Jedi Backlash Came from Fans Threatened by Women

What rubbish by JJ

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/16/star-wars-the-last-jedi-j-j-abrams-comments-women-rey/

That's nonsense from J.J. the film was not well received because it was not very good, in fact I felt they did Rey a disservice and her character was made almost irrelevant by the end of the film.

They treated Luke Skywalker badly in the film as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

What rubbish by JJ

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/16/star-wars-the-last-jedi-j-j-abrams-comments-women-rey/

That's nonsense from J.J. the film was not well received because it was not very good, in fact I felt they did Rey a disservice and her character was made almost irrelevant by the end of the film.

They treated Luke Skywalker badly in the film as well.

Like Mark Hamill said Luke was practically a different character.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

What rubbish by JJ

Ha this coming from the guy who thought this somehow added importance to a film.
    star-trek-into-darkness-alice-eve-underwear.jpg

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »

What rubbish by JJ

Ha this coming from the guy who thought this somehow added importance to a film.
    star-trek-into-darkness-alice-eve-underwear.jpg

J.J is towing the party line.

I always forget what Carol Marcus said in that scene ;))
    "Turn around!" :D
    I would end up turning around 360 degrees ;))

Like this? =))
    PinkRecklessCaecilian-max-1mb.gif
    Murdock wrote: »

Like this? =))
    PinkRecklessCaecilian-max-1mb.gif

Haha :)) Epic!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Have you seen ONLY GOD FORGIVES with Ryan? It's by the same director of DRIVE and THE NEON DEMON.

@Strog
    I like your thouhts on the film. :)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,665
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Have you seen ONLY GOD FORGIVES with Ryan? It's by the same director of DRIVE and THE NEON DEMON.

Not seen that film @DarthDimi I am not very familiar with the director.

Kingsman The Golden Circle it looks good in 4K and has fun moments, though there is no plot well what plot there is is lazily put together.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    JFK (1991)
    LmBi58G.jpg

First viewing of this Oliver Stone directed 1991 classic. I had heard a lot about this film over the years of course, some good and some bad. I have to say that having had the opportunity to view it last night, I conclude that this is a masterpiece of film making and one of the best entries from the 90s. I watched the Director’s Cut and I found it quite riveting from the opening shot all the way to the thrilling courtroom conclusion some 3.5 hrs later. The cinematography is just wonderful and immerses one in the era and timeline.

This is not meant to be a historical documentary. Rather, it combines actual facts with Stone's own opinions and conclusions from two books: 1) Trail of the Assassins by Jim Garrison and 2) Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy by Jim Marrs. The film primarily depicts events through the eyes of Jim Garrison, who was New Orleans D.A. at the time of the Kennedy murder, and he is the lens through which we view the narrative. Stone keeps the tension alive for most of it, and seamlessly interweaves real documentary footage with fictional scenes. It’s a complex film, and with tons of expositionary dialogue, moving parts and facts. It’s a testament to Stone's passion for this story and his skills as a film maker that he is able to keep everything clear and understandable. Kevin Costner, at the height of his fame, plays Garrison. It’s a great choice of casting, because Costner has that essentially American pure everyman quality which allows a viewer to trust and believe in him. He is a relentless, determined and dogged pursuer of the truth – a man willing to risk everything for his goal. Several high calibre actors play key supporting roles to perfection, and elevate the proceedings. These include many greats including Jack Lemmon, Ed Asner, Walther Matthau, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pesci, Kevin Bacon, Donald Sutherland, Sissy Spacek, John Candy, Ron Rifkin and Laurie Metcalf, among others.

The film starts with documentary footage of that fateful day in Dallas, proceeds through years of investigation and culminates in a captivating court room trial of Clay Shaw, a since unmasked CIA operative. When viewing the trial, I realized how it influenced films and events since, including Sorkin’s script for A Few Good Men and even Johnny Cochrane’s infamous concluding statements in the OJ trial. Garrison, with visual assistance from the now famous Zapruder film (which shows the 35th President’s head exploding from an assassin’s bullet), clearly demonstrates that the official Warren Commission account of events which concluded that a single shooter (Lee Harvey Oswald) carried out the dastardly act alone from the Texas Book Repository is questionable at best, and sheer bunk at worst. It's important to note that Garrison lost the case, even though members of the jury believed that there was a conspiracy (they just felt that insufficient evidence linked Shaw to the shooting).

Stone proposes an interesting theory as to what took place and why. That’s all it is mind you: A theory, but in my opinion, a quite plausible one. No matter what one ultimately believes, I think a few things are clear. There was a crime. There was a cover up. The government lied to you. Stone ends the film with a chilling piece of text (keep in mind when this film was made): “past is prologue”. Indeed.

As an aside, I finally discovered a great piece of suspense music, variations of which I’ve heard many times over the years in several films, and even in trailers. I realized today that the track in question is called The Conspirators, composed by the legendary John Willaims who did the score for this film. It has since been used as the base for compositions by several others –most notably by Dave Grusin in The Firm. A wonderful piece of music worthy of the master.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw JFK in the cinema when it came out, and liked it a lot. The cast is great, and Oldman is outstanding as Oswald.
    Great film @bondjames I watched JFK on original release I was riveted, in my late teens I was obsessed with conspiracy theories and a big fan of Oliver Stones work during that period, it's definitely a film I should get on Bluray.
    I highly recommend the blu-ray @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. It really is an incredible piece of film making and pops in that format. Very impressively done.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent choice @bondjames! Great film indeed.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,665
    bondjames wrote: »
    I highly recommend the blu-ray @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. It really is an incredible piece of film making and pops in that format. Very impressively done.

Brilliant cast and Stone on form writes incredibly well, it's been years since I watched it though love the scene with Sutherland and Costner it's the scene I often recall first for some reason, there is as you mentioned a good inter splicing of theories and fuels paranoia effectively.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I am also a big fan of that film @bondjames. One of the best films from the 1990's, IMO.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Call me by your name
    Lady bird
    3 billboards

Not very good, I don’t think I like films anymore ;)

For real though I don’t know what critics see in these
    The more I’m reflecting on it, the more I appreciate The Florida Project (2017). It captures real life better than maybe any other film I’ve seen - biopics included. The heck with it; take it off my HMs and add it to my favorites. Its staying power is huge. And an absolutely devastating ending.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    JFK (1991)
    LmBi58G.jpg

First viewing of this Oliver Stone directed 1991 classic. I had heard a lot about this film over the years of course, some good and some bad. I have to say that having had the opportunity to view it last night, I conclude that this is a masterpiece of film making and one of the best entries from the 90s. I watched the Director’s Cut and I found it quite riveting from the opening shot all the way to the thrilling courtroom conclusion some 3.5 hrs later. The cinematography is just wonderful and immerses one in the era and timeline.

This is not meant to be a historical documentary. Rather, it combines actual facts with Stone's own opinions and conclusions from two books: 1) Trail of the Assassins by Jim Garrison and 2) Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy by Jim Marrs. The film primarily depicts events through the eyes of Jim Garrison, who was New Orleans D.A. at the time of the Kennedy murder, and he is the lens through which we view the narrative. Stone keeps the tension alive for most of it, and seamlessly interweaves real documentary footage with fictional scenes. It’s a complex film, and with tons of expositionary dialogue, moving parts and facts. It’s a testament to Stone's passion for this story and his skills as a film maker that he is able to keep everything clear and understandable. Kevin Costner, at the height of his fame, plays Garrison. It’s a great choice of casting, because Costner has that essentially American pure everyman quality which allows a viewer to trust and believe in him. He is a relentless, determined and dogged pursuer of the truth – a man willing to risk everything for his goal. Several high calibre actors play key supporting roles to perfection, and elevate the proceedings. These include many greats including Jack Lemmon, Ed Asner, Walther Matthau, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pesci, Kevin Bacon, Donald Sutherland, Sissy Spacek, John Candy, Ron Rifkin and Laurie Metcalf, among others.

The film starts with documentary footage of that fateful day in Dallas, proceeds through years of investigation and culminates in a captivating court room trial of Clay Shaw, a since unmasked CIA operative. When viewing the trial, I realized how it influenced films and events since, including Sorkin’s script for A Few Good Men and even Johnny Cochrane’s infamous concluding statements in the OJ trial. Garrison, with visual assistance from the now famous Zapruder film (which shows the 35th President’s head exploding from an assassin’s bullet), clearly demonstrates that the official Warren Commission account of events which concluded that a single shooter (Lee Harvey Oswald) carried out the dastardly act alone from the Texas Book Repository is questionable at best, and sheer bunk at worst. It's important to note that Garrison lost the case, even though members of the jury believed that there was a conspiracy (they just felt that insufficient evidence linked Shaw to the shooting).

Stone proposes an interesting theory as to what took place and why. That’s all it is mind you: A theory, but in my opinion, a quite plausible one. No matter what one ultimately believes, I think a few things are clear. There was a crime. There was a cover up. The government lied to you. Stone ends the film with a chilling piece of text (keep in mind when this film was made): “past is prologue”. Indeed.

As an aside, I finally discovered a great piece of suspense music, variations of which I’ve heard many times over the years in several films, and even in trailers. I realized today that the track in question is called The Conspirators, composed by the legendary John Willaims who did the score for this film. It has since been used as the base for compositions by several others –most notably by Dave Grusin in The Firm. A wonderful piece of music worthy of the master.

JFK is certainly an incredible filmmaking feat. The editing is outstanding.

Oliver Stone is expert at manipulating the audience into swallowing what is factually a massive load of bollocks.

Still an amazing and skillfully made film though.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The more I’m reflecting on it, the more I appreciate The Florida Project (2017). It captures real life better than maybe any other film I’ve seen - biopics included. The heck with it; take it off my HMs and add it to my favorites. Its staying power is huge. And an absolutely devastating ending.

It is a very good film.

It gets significantly better just thinking about it really. In the moment I wasn’t always sure what to think since it felt like watching someone else’s life (a few people that is); it was so unusual and in-depth for a work of fiction. But that’s unique and powerful. Definitely deserved a Best Picture nomination.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I share the feelings about JFK and was tempted to rewatch it after about 12 years or so tonight. But then I have so many movies on disk that deserve being watched for the first time, so I preferred to finally look at THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and was blown away.
    The-Last-Picture-Show.jpg
    Yes, I know, other have discussed it earlier on this thread and elsewhere. But what a perfect piece of filmmaking...unless you expect action and stuff and are not ready to settle for brilliant examples of scripting, directing, acting and cinematography in a mere "drama". I enjoyed the other Peter Bogdanovich movies I had seen before (TARGETS, which I remember from early 1970s TV in Germany, WHAT'S UP, DOC - one of the funniest films I know, and PAPER MOON), but this one really tops them. One of my new favourites.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I share the feelings about JFK and was tempted to rewatch it after about 12 years or so tonight. But then I have so many movies on disk that deserve being watched for the first time, so I preferred to finally look at THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and was blown away.
    This is another film I've heard a lot about over the years but have yet to see. I'll try to get my hands on it soon and give it a watch.
    Guess I will have to watch it as well. I am a fan of Jeff Bridges.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Captain America Civil War. After Homecoming and Panther this was SO great to re-visit.
  • mattjoesmattjoes People's Republic of Matjoeguay
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Guess I will have to watch it as well. I am a fan of Jeff Bridges.
    I haven't seen him in that much, but I love what I've seen of him. I think I was first struck by how terrific he was in the climactic scenes of Arlington Road. Wonderful portrayal of panic and hysteria.
    Starman is my favorite. Iron Man and Big Lebowski are also very good.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Bridges is outstanding in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, with Clint Eastwood.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Cutter and Bond (aka Cutter's Way).

cutters_way4.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Do it!
    @Birdleson: Have you (or anyone else) ever seen Texasville?