Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. Winter Soldier and Iron Man are easily top of the pile for me when it comes to the Marvel output to date.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @Crazysoul95 Glad I’m not the only one who was disappointed with darkest hour because other people seem to love it and I don’t know what I’m missing
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,746
    Just finished THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM, directed by Michael Anderson in 1966. Music by John Barry. George Segal, Alec Guinness, Max von Sydow, Senta Berger... and also starring the West Berlin of the mid-sixties, still cluttered with ruins from WWII. Not as much action as a Bond film, but doubtless a good drama/thriller, and also a historical record in many ways.

The Blu-ray is not so great, but they may not have had a good copy of the movie for remastering. Quite a few scenes have been filmed at night, and the picture is totally grainy...which may be due to the high-speed film they used at the time for those Still, no real enjoyment imagewise.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,372
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Just finished THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM, directed by Michael Anderson in 1966. Music by John Barry. George Segal, Alec Guinness, Max von Sydow, Senta Berger... and also starring the West Berlin of the mid-sixties, still cluttered with ruins from WWII. Not as much action as a Bond film, but doubtless a good drama/thriller, and also a historical record in many ways.

The Blu-ray is not so great, but the may not have had a good copy of the movie for remastering. Quite a few scenes have been filmed at night, and the picture is totally grainy...which may be due to the high-speed film they used at the time for those Still, no real enjoyment imagewise.

I've been meaning to buy this one at some point. Might just get the DVD if the Blu-ray isn't good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    UTOPIA (1951)

Another good one.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    I would rank it above The Incredible Hulk, but below the rest.
    This was my thought process too, even tied with Hulk and Thor. I'll think about it more and get back to it.

I agree that TIH is the worst one.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the worst of all, though.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the worst of all, though.

I think the first one is fine, the second is mediocre at best
    Didn t bother seeing the second.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ant Man is my favorite MCU movie.
    Murdock wrote: »

Certainly the most fun.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Certainly the most fun.

Indeed, looking forward to the sequel.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think I like the first Iron Man the most when it comes to the MCU.
  • Dark Tower I attempted to watch this three times and kept switching it off, ultimately I gave up on it. The film just did not grab me and felt what I was watching was missing a first act.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    DARK TOWER was nothing if not a blatant attempt at some "young adult" BS like THE MAZE RUNNER and DIVERGENT. If this is supposed to be an adaptation of King's grand epos, I think many a King fan is going to be devastated.

Yes, exactly. I'd only read the first two and a half-ish of the Dark Tower books. I picked up vague elements of what I'd read in the film, but it evoked nothing of the series' mood or atmosphere. Skip this yawner.
    Black Panther - a welcome addition to the Marvel universe, even if I prefer most of the TV shows better, with the exception of Iron fist. I did enjoy the female participation a lot in the BP movie and that moment where the female general did not step aside was priceless.
    Nice to see Baghera in it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    One of the rare nights that I managed to watch two movies in a row...

GET CARTER (1971) was the other choice besides QUILLER tonight. Bond connection: limited. Britt Ekland, ok. Not that I would even have recognised her. Other than that, mixed bag. No real likeable people, least of all the protagonist (Michael Caine). Great cinematography, though, of the mess that Newcastle was at least around 1970. Don't know about today.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just got back from Black Panther. I had 2 problems with this movie... the first has to be spoilered
    Frickin' Vibranium powers Wakanda, saves people's lives, make amazing armour, and even cleans your toilet...
    , but the second is a superhero staple at this point- endless CGI battles. Y'know, the ONE thing I liked about JL was that it didn't have endless battles. They were too long also, but at least not as too long as most.
    Good story, good actors, okay music, cool mid & post end credit sequences. I'll see it one more time in the theatre pretty definitely. This one will do WW $'s at least.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    THE NEON DEMON. I'm a bit puzzled at the reception it received. I would think it'd be the sort of thing critics would lap up. @DarthDimi, I definitely get where you were coming from in comparing it to the works you chose to. I went in thinking I was going to get more Lynch than anything, but I actually came away feeling a lot more Verhoeven! It is a gorgeous film. Elle Fanning (and all the girls) were excellent. It was also nice for a change to not be annoyed that Keanu was onscreen. All that said, it's not as good as DRIVE. I found the narrative far less engaging, and there are bits that I think are slightly too navel-gazing. But not enough to take too much away from the end result.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,673
    Strog wrote: »
    THE NEON DEMON. I'm a bit puzzled at the reception it received. I would think it'd be the sort of thing critics would lap up. @DarthDimi, I definitely get where you were coming from in comparing it to the works you chose to. I went in thinking I was going to get more Lynch than anything, but I actually came away feeling a lot more Verhoeven! It is a gorgeous film. Elle Fanning (and all the girls) were excellent. It was also nice for a change to not be annoyed that Keanu was onscreen. All that said, it's not as good as DRIVE. I found the narrative far less engaging, and there are bits that I think are slightly too navel-gazing. But not enough to take too much away from the end result.

I watched Neon Demon on Netflix last year, a superficial film that depicted superficiality well I thought,
    cannibalism was an appropriate metaphor for the shallow cut throat world the film was commenting on.
    Drive is hard to top for the style it went for. It was very good.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Drive with Ryan Gosling? still not seen that film, I admit I have avoided watching his films until I saw Blade Runner 2049. Drive is on Amazon Prime may give it a look at some point.
    BR 2049, Drive, and La La Land are my favorite Gosling films easily. Great ones those!
    An ex girlfriend once made me watch The Notebook so I never looked at his films after that, I did rent Nice Guys though forgot to watch it before it expired.
  • I was in the same boat with you regarding The Notebook. I’ll never forget sitting there in the theater with all the crying and snifling and I was sitting there like:

tenor.gif?itemid=4178927

It was the first Ryan Gosling movie I ever saw, and he actually was likeable enough to make it bearable! :)

So much so that when I saw he was cast in Blade Runner I thought to myself ‘ok, they’re taking this seriously’
    I was in the same boat with you regarding The Notebook. I’ll never forget sitting there in the theater with all the crying and snifling and I was sitting there like:

tenor.gif?itemid=4178927

It was the first Ryan Gosling movie I ever saw, and he actually was likeable enough to make it bearable! :)

So much so that when I saw he was cast in Blade Runner I thought to myself ‘ok, they’re taking this seriously’

We watched it at her flat so I was subjected to her constantly telling me what Notebook was about and what a great love story it was, all I could think at that time was %-( please make it stop :)).
    The Florida Project (2017). Definitely a good film with some really good acting, but not a personal favorite. Dafoe was particularly terrific; he’s a great actor.

I’ve seen most of the movies I wanted to from 2017 fortunately, with maybe 3-5 left. Favorites would be:

It
    Get Out
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water
    Blade Runner 2049
    Phantom Thread
    Logan
    Baby Driver
    Lady Bird
    The Disaster Artist
    The Post
    Coco

A LOT of good ones for one year! Some HMs include The Florida Project, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. If I had to narrow it to my Top 5, it would probably be: Shape of Water, Blade Runner 2049, It, Dunkirk, and Phantom Thread. But it’s hard! Best movie year of recent times easily.
    J.J. Abrams Claims Last Jedi Backlash Came from Fans Threatened by Women

What rubbish by JJ

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/16/star-wars-the-last-jedi-j-j-abrams-comments-women-rey/
    001 wrote: »
    J.J. Abrams Claims Last Jedi Backlash Came from Fans Threatened by Women

What rubbish by JJ

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/16/star-wars-the-last-jedi-j-j-abrams-comments-women-rey/

That's nonsense from J.J. the film was not well received because it was not very good, in fact I felt they did Rey a disservice and her character was made almost irrelevant by the end of the film.