Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Moonraker is IMHO the worst Bond movie of them all, I'm not saying it's not watchable, and I really like it, but comparing it to any other Bond movie, it's simply worse.
    So For Your Eyes Only
    Tough one. The FYEO score makes it sound very dated, but it has a lot of great action scenes and a better script. So FYEO for me!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    FYEO - it doesn't make me squirm (despite Bibi).

In regard to the previous round, can I highlight the awesomness that is 2.37 to 2.39 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=iEkyijTu2N4

I could watch that shot on a continuous loop all day :x :x :x
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    FYEO
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    FYEO, it's always watchable for me, one of my favorites.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's not much of a selection. FYEO is bland beyond words, MR is flat-out awful and they both feature Moore. *grits teeth* I'm going to have to choose FYEO.
    Both are great but i like For Your Eyes Only more because Roger is more badass
    and Caroline is utter smoking hot
    MR by far. FYEO is good too but MR kills most movies.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,694
    MR by far.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited March 2012 Posts: 7,854
    00Beast wrote:
    FYEO More realism, and no Shirley Bassey. I do, however, prefer Moonraker's villain and Bond girl.

Not trying to start and argument or criticize, but I'd much rather have Melina Havelock with her deadly crossbow and determination than Holly Goodhead, who annoys the crud out of me! She's just so snappy and quarrelsome, and then when she actually lightens up to Bond, the terrible acting in Lois Chiles comes out! As for the main villain, I'd take Kristatos over Drax actually, I think Kristatos was a pretty effective main villain in FYEO, and he actually kept me awake unlike "bore me to death" Drax!

I'm going with Holly Goodhead purely on looks alone, BTW. And I liked Drax better because, while it was obvious from minute 1 that he was the villain, he was just so damn charming.
    MR by far.

(Sarcasm) Thanks for the surprise. (Sarcasm)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,694
    MR by far.

So I should have lied and pick FYEO ?

FYEO
    Moonraker.
    FYEO Sir Roger Moore best 007 performance.

List of rating.
    FYEO - 6
    MR - 10
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,351
    I think these two are move evenly matched than they first appear. For Your Eyes Only I would choose as the better film, though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    An easy choice in FYEO for me. I do enjoy MR for it really is a stunning adventure film.
    FYEO though is a better Bond film...imo.
    Samuel001
    I think these two are move evenly match than they first appear. For Your Eyes Only I would choose as the better film, though.

Benny
    An easy choice in FYEO for me. I do enjoy MR for it really is a stunning adventure film.
    FYEO though is a better Bond film...imo.

Both very true, but MR was my first and shall always be that little bit more special. By the time I saw FYEO I had already caught up with the previous movies.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2012 Posts: 3,262
    00Beast wrote:
    By my count, The Living Daylights wins, and it was extremely close, with TLD at 15 and GE at 13. Such a shame! Oh well, congratulations to TLD and the '80s Bonds!

Yes!!!!! B-)
    00Beast wrote:
    Moonraker vs. For Your Eyes Only

It's fantasy Bond against real Bond! Who will win?! I have a feeling that the gloves are about to come off!

It'd call it sci-fi Bond versus relatively realistic Bond. All Bond films are ultimately fantasies.

Anyhow, while FYEO certainly has more literary Fleming source material in its script, I pick MR. It's simply the more fun of the two films. Plus, Sir Roger just seems born to be Bond in the 1979 outing while I could easily see Timothy Dalton fitting in the 1981 film just as well. As it stands now, FYEO seems like an episode of "The Saint". While I enjoy that TV series, if it's a choice between that and wild, wacky, big-budget '70s Bond, I'll pick the latter. Plus, MR's got John Barry music, Ken Adam's outsized sets, a nasty supervillain, 2 memorable henchmen in Chang and Jaws, a gallery of gorgeous Bond girls, more chemistry between Bond and the leading lady(who was 10 years closer in age to Sir Rog), an epic final battle, and the villain's HQ blowing up at the end.

Therefore, MR gets my vote.

For Your Eyes Only, because it trumps Moonraker in all aspects except for maybe locations, though both are almost evenly matched there.
    For Your Eyes Only
    MR by far.

I was sure you would say that. Is it your 2nd favorite, next to TMWTGG? I cannot remember ...
    MR by far.

I was sure you would say that. Is it your 2nd favorite, next to TMWTGG? I cannot remember ...

Yes, MR is my 2nd fav Bond film... (*)
    MR by far.

Yes, MR is my 2nd fav Bond film... (*)

I am sure you and I do not agree on everything, but I do love Roger as Bond.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MR

I'm pretty sure FYEO is the better Bond film but MR, IMO, is the more entertaining one.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:
    MR

I'm pretty sure FYEO is the better Bond film but MR, IMO, is the more entertaining one.

Perfectly valid reason in my book. :)

• edited March 2012 Posts: 401
    For Your Eyes Only. I just like it more. Although, if you had asked me the same question a few years ago, I probably would have said Moonraker. The premise of Bond having to go into space could have made for some great over-the-top fun, instead, you have Jaws falling in love below a giant 7 Up sign. Actually, if Moonraker was re-edited to get rid of all the really stupid humor, but leave all the fun stuff, such as the inflatable gondola, in, it could probably be quite good.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited March 2012 Posts: 1,812
    Moonraker by far!

FYEO is at the very bottom of my list and I'm sure it will stay there for years to come. It's just too much of a bore and not very memorable. I will say that the FYEO song is a good one and two scenes stick out in my mind from that movie: Bond and Bond Girl (forgot her name) being dragged in the water and Bond climbing the mountian at the end. When all is said and done, MR is better and more fun to watch.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    MR by far.

So I should have lied and pick FYEO ?

No. I just wanted to use some sarcasm when I wrote that. It's been awhile since I was sarcastic on a forum.
    After just watching Moonraker last night, my opinion still holds to FYEO as the winner, but I will say that I found MR to be extremely entertaining, and for those of you who said that it was the more fun movie to watch, I might have to agree with you!
    For Your Eyes Only for me. Moonraker has a phenomenal opening half but the film completely falls apart at the cable car scene. FYEO features a fairly good performance from Moore and some pretty neat action pieces. FYEO is not a great film, mind you, but it gets the job done.

13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    15. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
    17. The World Is Not Enough (1999) - 6/10
    18. Diamonds Are Forever (1971) - 5.5/10
    19. Moonraker (1979) - 5.5/10